Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

Just now, bitonti said:

Don't bother no one wants to hear about scrutiny during silly season

I'm wasting my breath

we can have a more rational conversation about this in November when Rodgers is hurt and Zach is starting again 

In the beginning, you didn't think we'd get him because of money. Now it's this new bit. Enough

4 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Hackett was another pathetic decision. They hired the worst OC available just to court Aaron Rodgers

Hackett was hired for the same reason Flacco was brought in to be Zach's backup.  He's not a threat to the development of the HC.  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Tranquilo said:

In the beginning, you didn't think we'd get him because of money. Now it's this new bit. Enough

I never said that they wouldn't pay. I said it was dumb.

Is this your new thing telling people to be quiet? 

There's more than one person who thinks this is a bad idea we're not all crazy 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes they do and with that and the fact that they want him gone the jets should have easily got a big bargain. 

If they had set a deadline before carr and jimmi G went they have the hammer but they seem to have given the packers a life line by being as desperate to aquire him as the packers are to get rid of him.

you are working under the assumption the basic terms of the trade haven't been agreed upon.  perhaps there is some fine tuning still going on on picking up money (or maybe not), but i doubt at the 11th hour GB suddenly and dramatically increased the ask.

JD's track record on trades is pretty freakin good.  i'm not worried he's going to lose a game of chicken with a team looking to off-load a $60 million payment obligation whose team president has effectively stated publicly they don't want rodgers back.  

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lazard is a materially better blocker.

For us, that, combined with his historic levels of availability vs. Davis history, could be a big difference.

Agreed, sounds reasonable.

After the way the Jets have been destroyed by injuries the last few years, I want people who can play.

Every player is a risk, but Lazard is far less of an injury risk than Davis

• Upvote 1

Just now, bitonti said:

Where did I say be quiet? You said that the Jets wouldn't pony up

5 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

No single QB was getting this team to a Superbowl because this isn't a superbowl roster

I think you're overestimating what a "Super Bowl roster" is

Teams are mostly made up or role players with a handful of impact guys.  You win Super Bowls with impact players.  The Jets haven't been any good for a long time because they had ZERO impact players and no QB.  That has changed drastically.

• You need solid defensive play  - with a couple of truly impact players - NY Jets, Check..(Sauce and QW) - Jets should be top 5.
  • You need an impact level QB, playing at a top level - NY Jets, Check (Rodgers)
  • You need a couple of impact players at the skill positions - NY Jets, Check (Hall and G. Wilson)
  • You need solid OL play - This is the ONLY question mark to make the Jets a Super Bowl caliber roster.  I suspect JD will fill this out.

Of course the rest of the roster does matter and has to be filled out with quality players but you win Super Bowls with the Impact players - the Jets role players are solid across the board.  

This doesn't mean they're going to win the Super Bowl, it does mean they have a shot. This roster has all of the tools to make you a Super Bowl contender.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Amazing how grimly we hold on to our misery, the energy we burn fueling our anger. Amazing how one moment we can be snarling like a beast, then, a few moments later, forgetting what or why. Not hours of this, or days, or months, or years of this... But decades. Lifetimes completely used up, given over to the pettiest rancor and hatred. Finally, there is nothing here for death to take away.-Bukowski

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Drop her off on the side of the road at 12:55. This is more important.

Trying to shift my lunch hour to free up time for this ... where we will hear from Mr Rodgers about his further revelations in the dark ... would be classic if they don't mention the signing.

4 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Hackett was another pathetic decision. They hired the worst OC available just to court Aaron Rodgers

Curiouis to know why you would argue that Hackett is the worst OC when his play calling and coaching lead to 2 MVP seasons for his QB

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

hackett was an awful head coach

the last 2 seasons he was an OC, his QB won the MVP

he may not have been my first choice, but hard to say he was the worst choice

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Amazing how grimly we hold on to our misery, the energy we burn fueling our anger. Amazing how one moment we can be snarling like a beast, then, a few moments later, forgetting what or why. Not hours of this, or days, or months, or years of this... But decades. Lifetimes completely used up, given over to the pettiest rancor and hatred. Finally, there is nothing here for death to take away.-Bukowski

There's a sliding scale of poetry from "let me compare thee to a summer's day" all the way to bukowski 

Bukowski is real and the masses hate him.

Right now this board is in pure sonnet mode. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's this fancy word I learned recently called projection 

I must be the insane one 

It's not the people counting on Aaron Rodgers to win the Super Bowl this year as qb of the jets. It's gotta be my problem 

Lets be real if chat GPT wrote an essay about the Jets winning the super bowl with a 40 year old Rodgers we'd send it to the junk pile 

You see, now you have brought in the concept of 2023 Superbowl.  I never said that's happening.  Never claimed it.  Was never even a thread of a component to anything I've posted about Rodgers to Jets.  But now you are using it to fuel your response to me.  That's just bullsht, Bit.   All I've said is that I want Rodgers and the Jets to win games.  Please stop exaggerating what I say.  Maybe its ok for you to do that to others.  But not to me.  As I've said, you're pretty much done with this once stuff you post is just made up.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's a sliding scale of poetry from "let me compare thee to a summer's day" all the way to bukowski 

Bukowski is real and the masses hate him.

Right now this board is in pure sonnet mode. 

Or maybe instead of whining about everything, people are just hoping for the best, even if they don't 100% think it will work out, because not everything is about us and being right. We don't know sh*t. We can only hope it works out, and if you think there are no positives, you're out of your mind. But as long as the Jets don't win a Super Bowl, which is likely, you can say you're right. Which is all that matters to you

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Of course it's dumb.  So what it brings some drama and fun to a team that lacks both. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

Was not jumping up and down in excitement over Hackett but understood why they did it.

To be fair to him though - he was amongst the worst HC candidates out there but not OC.

Put him in the category of Schumer, Wissenhunt and Turner just to name a few. Plenty of guys are very successful as coordinators and HC is just too big for them.

20 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

The difference with everyone you listed is that none of those players would have cost a single draft pick. That's what the difference is.

An absolutely valid issue, 100%.  Lets see what the comp. turns out to be (if it even happens), then we can evaluate more accurately.

Will any of those players get us to a superbowl? No. Will Rodgers? No.

I'd have said "maybe, with varying odds" myself.  Rodgers the highest odds, declining down the line.

No single QB was getting this team to a Superbowl because this isn't a superbowl roster. The QB signed this offseason was a stop gap.

Not sure either is an accurate statement.

QB has been this organizations biggest failing, almost for it's entire history.  

And Carr and some others would have been longer-term fixes (3-5 years), not just one-year stop-gaps.

Someone that could hopefully make this team competitive while they continue this rebuild. Spending big money on a stop gap QB was always going to negatively impact the rebuild because it takes up a large chunk of financial resources that can't be spent elsewhere.

I would argue we are no longer in a "rebuild", unless you define rebuild as "any team not in the playoffs", which I personally do not.

Giving up prime draft pick(s) for that stop gap on top of the money SIGNIFICANTLY compounds the negative impact to the rebuild because you lose ammo you desperately need to continue to aquire cheap, young talent. 

Agreed.  I'm a Draft-first guy myself most times.

IMO this move will set this team back in a big way and we are going to very much regret it. 

You could certainly be right, no question.

We can only go along for the ride and hope for better.

Facing a "Zach or Garrapolo" type 2023 wouldn't have been terribly inspiring tho, I'll be honest.

Maybe a little fun, and perhaps a playoff spot, isn't the worst thing this moribund franchise can achieve in 2023 if this deal goes down.

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We are going to treat him like royalty for being the best since Penny?   Do you remember how we treat/treated Penny?  Do you remember his nickname.  ****, we don't even treat Curtis Martin like royalty.

Lol all true but if Aaron Rodgers gets us to like 7 and 2 and we look great. Look out for the coronation 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

to be fair I don't believe he called plays in GB

9 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

He didn’t call plays in GB

Ok, however what I understand he called plays in the Red Zone (confirmation) and  Rogers loves him. Seems like an ideal situation if the goal was to get Rogers.  Who would you have hired instead? 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

To each their own, I am sure some folks feel the same about me, and have me blocked too.

Bit's my e-friend, and I don't like seeing folks insult him.  

If his ideas are wrong, destroy them with facts and logic.  Like anyone else.

Tough when he defies logic in almost every post.  Challenging his thinking (for many years now) is not an insult.   I like Bit.   Otherwise I wouldn't be so stupidly engaged.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Ok, however he what what I understand he called plays in the Red Zone (confirmation) and  Rogers loves him. Seems like an ideal situation if the goal was to get Rogers.  Who would you have hired instead? 

the only way Hackett made sense to me was if we got Rodgers, so I'm fine with it.

I wanted Greg Roman + strong passing game coordinator - which was an unpopular opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Rapoport said the Jets were in on Brendel before he signed with SF. So that sounds like Rodgers' work.

I am guessing ARod is working the phones for a C. If he is not working the phones as hard for a LT, that may mean Bakhtiari is included in whatever deal gets finalized.

All of the o like help we can get

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I see what your saying, helps Woody for 2 days because he won't have to escrow money right away but it has no impact on our cap.

The contract is what it is for the year, its not like you could draw up a deal saying Rodgers gets his bonus on the SB and all the weeks prior his cap hit was lower.

Until the option gets triggered by either the Packers or Jets it will not count against the cap. That's how his contract is structured. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They are going to give up at least 1 first the question now is how much more? 

The Jets have zero leverage 

That's not true.  The Packers need and want to get rid of Rodgers, there is no way they are going into next season with him on the roster.

7 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Was not jumping up and down in excitement over Hackett but understood why they did it.

To be fair to him though - he was amongst the worst HC candidates out there but not OC.

Put him in the category of Schumer, Wissenhunt and Turner just to name a few. Plenty of guys are very successful as coordinators and HC is just too big for them.

he wasn’t “very successful” as a coordinator 

1 minute ago, Green DNA said:

That's not true.  The Packers need and want to get rid of Rodgers, there is no way they are going into next season with him on the roster.

The Jets don’t have a plan B. Zach? Minshew? Matt Ryan? 

The Packers know they are rebuilding. The Jets have less leverage 

• Upvote 1