Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

12 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

that would be odd. We are supposed to believe everything he said today but not the part about how he contemplated retirement

He was clearly lying.  He said he was the greatest player in Packer history.  In poker we call that a tell.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

what do you think, i'm Joe douglas best fcking friend? Use your head. I was sharing with you what happened last week. Principles were in place. Aaron had to consider the jets asks. here we are. NOW waiting for the packers to get over themselves. 

Just accept what happened. and what is NOW happening.  

Paradis, this past Monday (two days ago) I surmised Green Bay was asking for more (13th overall pick) than Joe Douglas was willing to give up and compared it to a game of chicken. You then replied to me saying, "the only game of chicken here is the one Aaron is playing with y'all." I disagreed with you but was open minded enough to consider maybe Rodgers was still making his mind up if he wanted to play football, but mostly felt the Packers and Jets were still hashing things out over a trade package. You again replied to me saying, "That's about as inaccurate an account as one could have." I could tell you had your mind made, so I replied I would agree to disagree with you. After watching Aaron Rodgers on the Pat McAfee show, it became clear it's the Packers that are holding the trade up, not Aaron Rodgers. He's known he's wanted to play football since he came out of his darkness retreat, and knew the Jets were the team he wanted to play for shortly after meeting with the Jets ownership and coaches most recently. On the Pat McAfee show Rodgers said the Packers are digging in their heels regarding what compensation they want from the Jets in a trade for him. I remembered you saying to me "that's about as inaccurate as account one could have," and I decided to bump it. You refused to admit you were wrong, and even decided to call me a "petty petty man." Bottom line, you were the one who was and is inaccurate. I'm done talking about this with you. Enjoy that we're getting Aaron Rodgers. Have a great day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Based on this, I'd love to play poker with you.

My favorite Federal Court decisions of all time was about poker.  If you enjoy it this is up your alley.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyregion/poker-is-more-a-game-of-skill-than-of-chance-a-judge-rules.html

The game was Texas Hold ’Em. About $300 bought a place at the table in the back room of a warehouse on Staten Island, where waitresses floated around with food and drinks and the play lasted until breakfast.

The pot went not to the luckiest among them but to the most deft — the player who could guess his opponents’ intentions and disguise his own, make calculated decisions on when to hold and fold, and quickly decide how much to wager. That, anyhow, is how one federal judge saw it from his chambers in the Federal District Court in Brooklyn. 

In a ruling that goes to the heart of what it means to play poker, Judge Jack B. Weinstein tossed out the conviction and vacated the indictment of the man who ran that gambling business. The judge’s reason: poker is more a game of skill than a game of chance, so game operators should not be prosecuted under the federal law the prohibits running an illegal gambling business.

“The most skillful professionals earn the same celestial salaries as professional ballplayers,” he wrote in the exhaustive 120-page ruling that detailed the history of poker in the United States. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Paradis, this past Monday (two days ago) I surmised Green Bay was asking for more (13th overall pick) than Joe Douglas was willing to give up and compared it to a game of chicken. You then replied to me saying, "the only game of chicken here is the one Aaron is playing with y'all." I disagreed with you but was open minded enough to consider maybe Rodgers was still making his mind up if he wanted to play football, but mostly felt the Jets and Packers and Jets were still hashing things out over a trade package. You again replied to me saying, "That's about as inaccurate an account is one could have." I could tell you had your mind made, so I replied I would agree to disagree with you. After watching Aaron Rodgers on the Pat McAfee show, it became clear it's the Packers that are holding the trade up, not Aaron Rodgers. He's known he's wanted to play football since he came out of his darkness retreat, and knew the Jets were the team he wanted to play for shortly after meeting with the Jets ownership and coaches most recently. On the Pat McAfee show Rodgers said the Packers are digging in their heels regarding what compensation they want from the Jets in a trade for him. I remembered you saying to me "that's about as inaccurate as account one could have," and I decided to bump it. You refused to admit you were wrong, and even decided to call me a "petty petty man." Bottom line, you were the one who was and is inaccurate. I'm done talking about this with you. Enjoy that we're getting Aaron Rodgers. Have a great day. 

Not even reading. And msg received, not worth sharing next time. 

Just got home from work. Was able to catch most of Rodgers comments live.  This is a great day, Jets fans! Rejoice! And to whoever has found new and more improved ways to still bitch about this now, step away from the laptop, go touch some grass, take your meds, and try to smile for a change.  It will change your life, I swear! 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Really good explainer from Jason about Rodgers’ money and cap issues. If I’m listening correctly, the Packers don’t have leverage because if the Jets walk away from the deal and Rodgers retires, it absolutely nukes the Packers cap. Or, even worse for them, Rodgers decides not to retire, it ****s their cap worse for the next four years. Their only option, should the Jets back out, would be to find another team willing to hand Rodgers $110 million in cash over the next two years AND who will beat the Jets trade offer AND Rodgers would have to agree to the new team. Basically, Green Bay is ass-up against the wall right now. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Really good explainer from Jason about Rodgers’ money and cap issues. If I’m listening correctly, the Packers don’t have leverage because if the Jets walk away from the deal and Rodgers retires, it absolutely nukes the Packers cap. Or, even worse for them, Rodgers decides not to retire, it ****s their cap worse for the next four years. Their only option, should the Jets back out, would be to find another team willing to hand Rodgers $110 million in cash over the next two years AND who will beat the Jets trade offer AND Rodgers would have to agree to the new team. Basically, Green Bay is ass-up against the wall right now. 

@Beerfish@section314

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Another interesting piece of this: Rodgers has four relatively small cap hits the nest four years: $16mm, $32mm, $30mm, and $30mm. Obviously, the last two will hit when Rodgers is already gone, so it’s safe to presume that Douglas will need a cheap rookie QB succession plan to help defray the positional spend two years from now, which probably means Zach is going to be on the block sooner rather than later, because they’re not spending ~$50 mil against the cap (Rodgers’ dead money + Zach’s extension) to hope Zach has it figured out in 2025.

• Upvote 2

At this point, it is pretty clear to me that the Jets need the Packers and the Packers need the Jets.

Packers need to get this done.  They want to move on from Rodgers.  Only way to do that is by trade and there are no other suitors other than the Jets.  They need the Jets.  And the Jets need the Packers.  Other QB options have been signed by other teams.  Lamar is still out there, but probably a pipe dream.  Jets need to get their QB on board and add pieces around him.

Both teams are in the position where they need the other.  And I don't think it is in either team's interest to drag this out.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

My favorite Federal Court decisions of all time was about poker.  If you enjoy it this is up your alley.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyregion/poker-is-more-a-game-of-skill-than-of-chance-a-judge-rules.html

I don't have a Times subscription anymore. What is the case so I can look this up on Casetext?

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Another interesting piece of this: Rodgers has four relatively small cap hits the nest four years: $16mm, $32mm, $30mm, and $30mm. Obviously, the last two will hit when Rodgers is already gone, so it’s safe to presume that Douglas will need a cheap rookie QB succession plan to help defray the positional spend two years from now, which probably means Zach is going to be on the block sooner rather than later, because they’re not spending ~$50 mil against the cap (Rodgers’ dead money + Zach’s extension) to hope Zach has it figured out in 2025.

This is exactly right.  Rodgers is also under contract in 2025 for $15mm and 2026 for $10mm, but there is the presumption that he will not play for that little.  I don't know if that is correct.  

JD has to swing for QBs in the next 2 drafts, and hope to get lucky.

Zach?  would he extend another year at $8mm for the option?  Can't be taking the fifth year option or franchise.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Then it’s time to PLOW!!!

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rookie QB has to be the plan in order to resign our young starts and have a transitional year while we eat all the dead money. Then load up for the next run. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think the “90 percent retired” thing was for effect. He was never retiring, but wanted to make it sound like the Packers so grievously wounded him that he has no choice but to step back into the ring and battle for his pride and reputation.

If this means we get scorched earth 2020 Rodgers I’m ******* here for it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

It’s funny how the world and even many in this forum were destroying Aaron Rodgers for not making a decision and delaying things and being a diva, while all along, he decided to come to the Jets last week and it’s been the compensation that’s held it up. I honestly don’t see what everyone’s problem is with this guy. He’s a free thinker and a little crazy sometimes, but he’s is calm, collected, doesn’t like the media, teammates love him and is an all time great. What’s wrong with that?

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks for posting this.  Yesterday on the pat macafee show they all agreed that rodgers stated he would rework his contract if he decided to play.  They even said that he may decide to play for far less if they spent money on players to better the offense.  I am hoping they are right.  AJ hawk didnt disagree.

43 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Rookie QB has to be the plan in order to resign our young starts and have a transitional year while we eat all the dead money. Then load up for the next run. 

orrrr ... sign Zach to an extension commensurate with his performance.