Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

17 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Green Bay can piss up a rope, JD isn't giving up our first round pick this year. I'd give them a conditional 1 in the future (condition: Ar plays at least 17 games and the Jets make the playoffs).

Even that might be high. But I'd be willing to do it. Otherwise a 3 next year. 

We need all our picks this year. 

I don't think the Jets can give GB any picks this year because of his current contract with GB.  I think any trade compensation will need to be done from 24 on.  I read it somewhere when the explanation was given on how this will shake out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I don't think the Jets can give GB any picks this year because of his current contract with GB.  I think any trade compensation will need to be done from 24 on.  I read it somewhere when the explanation was given on how this will shake out.

That's good to hear. JD needs to get at least 2 starters out of this upcoming class. 

For the Jets this is about 2023.  For the Packers, this is about 2024.

The Jets cannot responsibly give up any 2023 picks.  We can give them picks in 2024.  If we make the SB in 2024, we can give them our whole 2024 draft as far as I am concerned.  

Rodgers can theoretically decide not to play in 2023.  How do you give up a 2023 pick for that?  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This really encapsulates the state of the anti-Rodgers discourse among NFL media right now. 

Honestly I was shocked at how sincere and honest he seemed during that podcast. He either was or he had CIA interrogation training during what we thought was Dark time. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Hard to when the Jets and their future QB is being dragged across the sports world as the number one story, in any sport right now 

He's not being "dragged" by everyone. And he's the number one story because he's a HOF QB going to the biggest city in the world. Like do we want information or not? And if Rodgers makes it difficult to get information on him, sh*t like this is bound to happen. I don't even know why he's so adversarial to begin with. He can say everything he said yesterday like 3 weeks ago. It's just petty. Like he got pissed that the Jet brass let their cars be seen when they met. Lol like who cares, he's not a CIA Agent. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tranquilo said:

He's not being "dragged" by everyone. And he's the number one story because he's a HOF QB going to the biggest city of the world. Like do we want information or not? And if Rodgers makes it difficult to get information on him, sh*t like this is bound to happen. I don't even know why he's so adversarial to begin with. He can say everything he said yesterday like 3 weeks ago. It's just petty. Like he got pissed that the Jet brass let their cars be seen when they met. Lol like who cares, he's not a CIA Agent. 

Bro I agree a lot of this is petty eddy type stuff but the Jets, the fans and Rodgers are being dragged by most media heads. This is only the tip of the iceberg though. 

Point being this is a situation where you can’t just ignore it if you are plugged into the sports world 

5 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Listening to shifty Schefter this AM, you can't help but notice he's on the side of GB and not Rodgers and the Jets.  

Stop Talking Hang Up GIF by Travis

did anyone have any level of dislike for Adam schefter before this Rodgers saga took place? Seems like a lot of people have turned on him. I have even talked a little crap about him with some friends because of this, but looking at it, not sure why. The guys job is to report football news. Yea, he’s been wrong and has said some things people may not agree with, but I think Rodgers hatred for the guy has rubbed off on a lot of us lol.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Are you seriously white knighting for a bunch of lying media guys ffs?  Come on....

Here is all the reason he needs:  He chooses not to.  He owes the media, and fans tbqh, nothing beyond what he chooses to give.

The absence of sourced info doesn't give these schmucks a free pass to just make sh*t up.

I'm not white knighting anyone. You're the one that's white knighting. Lets say Rodgers doesn't give the media anything. You wanted yesterday the first time to hear anything about anything? This is the entertainment business. It's not state secrets. If he wanted "his side" of things out there, what was stopping him from saying anything? The media? He's a great QB playing in the NFL. Of course they're going to report on him, who the **** does he think he is that he can't be reported on? And all they can get is info from people around him if he doesn't want to say anything. Players who don't give a sh*t about the media don't give a sh*t about the media. They don't go around saying it. 

Like ya'll seriously wanted dead silence on this situation for the past 2 months? Lol

• More Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Lol, did anyone have any level of dislike for Adam schefter before this Rodgers saga took place? Seems like a lot of people have turned on him. I have even talked a little crap about him with some friends because of this, but looking at it, not sure why. The guys job is to report football news. Yea, he’s been wrong and has said some thing people may not agree with, but I think Rodgers hatred for the guy has rubbed off on a lot of us lol.

As it should be.  When you're a Jet you're a Jet to the end, from your first cigarette to your last dying day!  He is now one of us.  Defend him!

5 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I'm not white knighting anyone. You're the one that's white knighting. Lets say Rodgers doesn't give the media anything. You wanted yesterday the first time to hear anything about anything? This is the entertainment business. It's not state secrets. If he wanted "his side" of things out there, what was stopping him from saying anything? The media? He's a great QB playing in the NFL. Of course they're going to report on him, who the **** does he think he is that he can't be reported on? And all they can get is info from people around him if he doesn't want to say anything. Players who don't give a sh*t about the media don't give a sh*t about the media. They don't go around saying it. 

Like ya'll seriously wanted dead silence on this situation for the past 2 months? Lol

Report facts.  Don't make sh*t up for clicks.  Simple.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

ESPN and all these other networks are so insufferable right now......You got dummies like stephen a smith saying the Jets should absolutely give up the 13th pick and that the packers hold the leverage.  Joe Douglas will never do that nor should he.

So a deal doesn't get done?

King Rodgers may have pledged himself to the Jets but that really doesn't mean anything as he is under contract in GB and they aren't giving him away for free.

I would ask for a 1st if I was them as well, what do the Jets have for leverage?

"hey he went on a radio show saying he would like to play for us."

"Ok. who cares"

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Report facts.  Don't make sh*t up for clicks.  Simple.

The only "non-fact" I heard from Rodgers yesterday was that the list was a wish list and not a demand list. The stuff about Rodgers wanting to go to the Jets turned out to be true. What are we talking about here

The Jets interested in Aaron Rodgers? True
The Packers wanting to move on from Rodgers? True
The Jet brass flying out to California? True
The Jets trying to negotiate with the Packers? True

Where are all these lies?

36 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly I was shocked at how sincere and honest he seemed during that podcast. He either was or he had CIA interrogation training during what we thought was Dark time. 

I've been very vocal in my opposition to signing Rodgers. Specifically my opposition to giving up significant draft capital. I warmed up to AR significantly following that interview. For someone that has such a bad rep, I really appreciated his honesty. 

I'm slowly coming around and getting excited for a QB of his caliber after what we've put on the field forever. For me, it's going to come down to what we give up. When I read that a 1st isn't in play, I'm much more in favor of it. JD has been great with trade value and I'm trying to have faith that he is not going to over pay. Although I am worried because it seems like we're left ourselves in a position where we are not forced to make this happen. To be fair, GB is probably even more desperate to off load his contract so hopefully that works in our favor. 

From PFT today, Packers want first round pick and more for Rodgers

The Jets want Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers wants the Jets. The Packers don’t want Aaron Rodgers. This should be easy to resolve, right?

It’s not. The Packers want a lot for Rodgers. They want more than they should, frankly. The Jets believe the Packers are being unreasonable.

Per multiple sources, the Packers want a first-round pick and more from the Jets for Rodgers.

The Packers want more than a first-round pick as part of the base deal. They want protection in 2025, in the event Rodgers plays in 2024. And that’s more than the Jets believe they should surrender for a player the Packers no longer want.

If the Jets are willing to offer something like a conditional package that would entail as much as a second-round pick this year and up to a second-round pick next year, the Packers would be nuts to not take it.

Frankly, it feels personal at this point, and that’s no surprise. Rodgers reportedly wanted Packers G.M. Brian Gutekunst to be fired a couple of years ago, something Rodgers never really tried to refute. Now, two years later, Gutekunst has a chance to exact a little revenge — and so he is.

The problem for the Packers is that, the longer they drag their feet, the more pissed off (and in turn motivated) Rodgers will be to have a great season in 2023. He already has sold himself on the narrative that the Packers wanted him back after the season before something changed, even though he later contradicted himself on the notion that he believed the Packers wanted him back when 2022 concluded.

The NFL, like many businesses, is driven by deadlines. The challenge becomes determining a deadline for this trade. As previously mentioned, the Packers are willing to wait until the draft. The ultimate deadline, if we take it to the extreme, is Week One, at which point his $58.3 million option bonus becomes guaranteed base salary if not exercised.

For the Jets, what’s the deadline? There’s a desire to get it done now. But do they need Rodgers now? Do they need him for the start of the offseason program? He knows the system, given his connection to offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Given Rodgers’s recent habit of skipping OTAs, maybe the Jets should take the position that the real deadline is the opening of training camp.

Regardless, unless someone blinks, the deal isn’t happening now. Given what the Packers currently want, it’s definitely not happening. They’ll need to move toward New York’s position.

And here’s the question. With no owner in Green Bay, who’s in position to tell the front office to give a little in order to get rid of a guy they no longer want?

1 hour ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I’m interested in where you heard this info?

2 minutes ago, hotrodcharlie said:

So a deal doesn't get done?

King Rodgers may have pledged himself to the Jets but that really doesn't mean anything as he is under contract in GB and they aren't giving him away for free.

I would ask for a 1st if I was them as well, what do the Jets have for leverage? "hey he went on a radio show saying he would like to play for us." "Ok. who cares"

Yeah, uh…. You’re overlooking the minor detail that the Packers don’t want Rodgers  and his cap hit would be crippling for them if he was still in their roster this fall…and the Jets are his only suitors.  

GB is using the little leverage they have before the draft to see if they can get the first round pick, but ultimately if the Jets are patient and don’t mind him missing OTAs there will come a point where GB will need to get the deal done. They don’t want Rodgers back. They can’t have him back at this point. 

To each his own but I thought the interview was cringeworthy myself.

The punter and the criminal former CB kiss his butt then: "aaron please tell us what's going on"

King Rodgers literally starts his ridiculously long good bye to Green Bay with "well you know they drafted Jordan Love in 2020..."

---

A future HOFer, given a $150 mill contract just last year from the team and he's bitching about Jordan Love... I cannot imagine being that much on an A-hole.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

From PFT today, Packers want first round pick and more for Rodgers

The Jets want Aaron Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers wants the Jets. The Packers don’t want Aaron Rodgers. This should be easy to resolve, right?

It’s not. The Packers want a lot for Rodgers. They want more than they should, frankly. The Jets believe the Packers are being unreasonable.

Per multiple sources, the Packers want a first-round pick and more from the Jets for Rodgers.

The Packers want more than a first-round pick as part of the base deal. They want protection in 2025, in the event Rodgers plays in 2024. And that’s more than the Jets believe they should surrender for a player the Packers no longer want.

If the Jets are willing to offer something like a conditional package that would entail as much as a second-round pick this year and up to a second-round pick next year, the Packers would be nuts to not take it.

Frankly, it feels personal at this point, and that’s no surprise. Rodgers reportedly wanted Packers G.M. Brian Gutekunst to be fired a couple of years ago, something Rodgers never really tried to refute. Now, two years later, Gutekunst has a chance to exact a little revenge — and so he is.

The problem for the Packers is that, the longer they drag their feet, the more pissed off (and in turn motivated) Rodgers will be to have a great season in 2023. He already has sold himself on the narrative that the Packers wanted him back after the season before something changed, even though he later contradicted himself on the notion that he believed the Packers wanted him back when 2022 concluded.

The NFL, like many businesses, is driven by deadlines. The challenge becomes determining a deadline for this trade. As previously mentioned, the Packers are willing to wait until the draft. The ultimate deadline, if we take it to the extreme, is Week One, at which point his $58.3 million option bonus becomes guaranteed base salary if not exercised.

For the Jets, what’s the deadline? There’s a desire to get it done now. But do they need Rodgers now? Do they need him for the start of the offseason program? He knows the system, given his connection to offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett. Given Rodgers’s recent habit of skipping OTAs, maybe the Jets should take the position that the real deadline is the opening of training camp.

Regardless, unless someone blinks, the deal isn’t happening now. Given what the Packers currently want, it’s definitely not happening. They’ll need to move toward New York’s position.

And here’s the question. With no owner in Green Bay, who’s in position to tell the front office to give a little in order to get rid of a guy they no longer want?

Packers trying to save face here.  Rodgers preempted it yesterday so that if the packers mess with him it’s gonna look real bad for GB

The Packers can take their time because the salary cap time bomb doesn’t go off until around opening day of the season, but I have a hard time believing that it could possibly go beyond the draft, resulting in Green Bay getting little or nothing for Rodgers this year. 

• Upvote 2