Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

I don't know if anyone thinks Rodgers chose the Jets because of a lifelong undying love for the organization. To me, it comes down to two factors.

1. The Jets publicly and overtly said they wanted him. This is a guy who wants to be wanted, to be courted, even wooed. The Jets were more than willing to do so.

2. While the SOJ crowd may not like hearing it, this franchise is not in awful shape. There is young talent here, and he saw it. He can win here, and perhaps do something Favre never did - come to the Jets and put together an elite season. It's not like he is joining the Maccagnan Jets. This roster is in good shape, QB and a few other holes aside.

Perhaps his girlfriend being in NYC might have played a role, as well.

• Upvote 4

Spitballing.

Let's say this drags out through the draft,  and Houston goes QB at 2 (seems like the consensus) what do you think Davis Mills might demand in trade.  They just brought Case Keenum in with $4 Million Guaranteed.  Sounds like a lot for a #3 QB.

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I don't know if anyone thinks Rodgers chose the Jets because of a lifelong undying love for the organization. To me, it comes down to two factors.

1. The Jets publicly and overtly said they wanted him. This is a guy who wants to be wanted, to be courted, even wooed. The Jets were more than willing to do so.

2. While the SOJ crowd may not like hearing it, this franchise is not in awful shape. There is young talent here, and he saw it. He can win here, and perhaps do something Favre never did - come to the Jets and put together an elite season. It's not like he is joining the Maccagnan Jets. This roster is in good shape, QB and a few other holes aside.

You are not allowed to be positive. How dare you?  Seriously though, very nice way to quickly sum up the AR (eventual) trade. I think he is like every human. We want to be around people that want us around. The Jets showed they really wanted him and the Packers showed they really didnt and no matter what everyone is saying, the Jets have the leverage here and will wait it out until ultimately they give a 2nd rounder and something next year and its over with. Either way, its an exciting time to be a Jets fan. At least for a year.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Media capital of the World! E.O.S.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

1000%

I always think back to his post game comments when we beat the Packers. He praised the sh*t out of this team and the young playmakers. He also praised Saleh and his leadership abilities. 

Rodgers chose the Jets because the upside is huge. To your first point, imagine the ego boost for a guy like Rodgers if he comes in to New York and wins a championship?! ?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, hawk said:

Spitballing.

Let's say this drags out through the draft,  and Houston goes QB at 2 (seems like the consensus) what do you think Davis Mills might demand in trade.  They just brought Case Keenum in with $4 Million Guaranteed.  Sounds like a lot for a #3 QB.

I’d rather you actually spit on me

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

The Jets are the ONLY team with interest. That’s the only reason why  

2 hours ago, Falco21 said:

1000%

I always think back to his post game comments when we beat the Packers. He praised the sh*t out of this team and the young playmakers. He also praised Saleh and his leadership abilities. 

Rodgers chose the Jets because the upside is huge. To your first point, imagine the ego boost for a guy like Rodgers if he comes in to New York and wins a championship?! ?

It’s also a pretty comfortable spot for him—his buddy runs the offense, Saleh is going to kiss his ass, Woody won’t blink about the money, and there are no expectations for winning. It’s a cushy retirement gig.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Disagree. You guys are in a corner. We’ve sucked for a decade. Trust me, we’ll get over sucking again. The only people who thinks this guy auto-slots us in the playoffs, are the same types on your end who think they should get a 1st, let alone two. Only thing that is certain; AR12 buys our regime time. 

So the compensation needs to also appreciate that he was mostly mediocre last year, and now barely dodged retirement… AND who we have to pay more than all the dime hookers in Dubai combined. There’s a reason why GB is prepared turn the page on this guy and that’s not lost on Joe Douglas

This is why a deal hasn’t happened yet. Cause GB still thinks they have something here worth holding out for. 

Carson Wentz: first and a third.   

13 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

Let me break it down for you. I previously posted that the best thing out of this whole episode is I no longer hate my GM or owner. 

The Jets entered into a good faith bargaining agreement with Green Bay. I get it, We're the wild and wonderful Whites of the NFL and the Packers are some NFL Royalty. Fair enough. But right now, your moral imperative is shot. You can see this, right?

You are disrespecting us, because you think you can. 

I don't care if next year my owner is Woody, my GM is JD, my coach is Saleh, and my QB is Zach. 

I'll keep my dignity and integrity. Losing aint the end of the world. I don't know how old you are, but you couldn't walk a mile in a Jets fans shoes. You'd turn around and crawl back from whence you came. 

I'm a good ol' rebel, and I'd rather die with my boots on than live another day kissing Green Bay's ass. 

Beat it.

Diva.   You have no idea which party is being unreasonable.    

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s also a pretty comfortable spot for him—his buddy runs the offense, Saleh is going to kiss his ass, Woody won’t blink about the money, and there are no expectations for winning. It’s a cushy retirement gig.

I disagree regarding the winning comment.

If Rodgers signs here, the expectations of winning are sky high. Hell, everyone is talking playoffs and Super Bowl. I think the pressure is through the roof playing in New York right now. Especially when you look at the AFC East and how talented all teams are in the division. Not exactly a walk in the park

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is correct, Rodgers does not make the big declaration on the mcafee show unless he knows that jets have promised to get him.

If Jet fans think a huge victory here is to let the packers get screwed by dropping out of Rodgers that is the ultimate in cutting off your nose to spite your face.  The only other 100% long shot the jets have is to suddenly go after lamar jackson.  Other than that the jets are screwed, virtually any QB with a pulse is gone.

There is no world where the Jets can trot out Zac Wilson as starter next year, and the packers know it.

Early in the process the packers had no leverage at all and the jets had a ton when there were viable alternatives. 

In the end the deal will get done both sides have too much to lose.  The Packers will get less than they hoped and the Jets will give up more than they hoped.

That last sentence tells it all.    That’s what will happen.   Because if it doesn’t it’s mutually assured destruction

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wit said:

Because if the division it will always be a top ten schedule, and there will always be surprise teams both ways. So hard in the nfl to predict.

What a difference for the NFC and AFC east from just a few years ago 

3 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

I disagree regarding the winning comment.

If Rodgers signs here, the expectations of winning are sky high. Hell, everyone is talking playoffs and Super Bowl. I think the pressure is through the roof playing in New York right now. Especially when you look at the AFC East and how talented all teams are in the division. Not exactly a walk in the park

Yeah it’s Super Bowl or bust if you get him

9 hours ago, JETS SB said:

You are not allowed to be positive. How dare you?  Seriously though, very nice way to quickly sum up the AR (eventual) trade. I think he is like every human. We want to be around people that want us around. The Jets showed they really wanted him and the Packers showed they really didnt and no matter what everyone is saying, the Jets have the leverage here and will wait it out until ultimately they give a 2nd rounder and something next year and its over with. Either way, its an exciting time to be a Jets fan. At least for a year.

I’d sign up for a second and a contingent.   I think the issue is the jets wanting the Packers to take on some of his salary and the packers are saying if we do give us higher picks.   One of the firsts in the Stafford deal was about money.   

2 hours ago, Falco21 said:

1000%

This would probably be seen as a bigger achievement for Rodgers as a player ... in terms of his legacy, being the only guy since JWN to get the Jets a ring? That would be talked about forever.  

5 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Yeah it’s Super Bowl or bust if you get him

Better than “ off to the draft forum” before Christmas likes it’s been for a decade plus. The mere fact we may be able to convince ourselves we have even the smallest of chances for the entire season. Is worth it. To me anyhow. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

FWIW, the last proposal I heard and posted here about a month or so ago, was a 2nd this year, a conditional 3rd that can go as high as a first based on postseason results, and Corey Davis.  What you’re saying about the money being the hang up lines up with everything I have been hearing since, and is why I have been steadfast in my belief that this gets done with the Jets eating more cash than they anticipated, or changing those conditional parameters to be performance based, so there is a better chance of the pick becoming a first round pick.

16 hours ago, ptisme said:

If that’s the gap this deal will get done.   

@football guy

(click the tweet to expand)

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Also very low risk high reward proposition. Team doesn’t succeed, Jets bungled it and never should’ve brought him in. Wins a Lombardi and he’s the one who carried the Jets to SB and gets a NY legacy.