Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

31 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

As the top executive of the organization, is it too much to ask for JD to at least dress a bit better? I know it's a fun event but there's no need to appear slovenly. There's such a thing as smart casual and this is not it. Losing a few pounds and taking better care of his health is beneficial to himself, his family and longevity in the position. He needs an intervention and looks like a major health issue is in his immediate future.

This doesn’t work. Remember what happened to Rex when he did this? JD needs to continue being pretzel inhaling slob. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, greasyt said:

Dudes.....and gals......that's all I needed to hear!!!......As a board......let's move on to the draft!!! We have our QB1

I agree.  There's ZERO chance an NFL GM makes that statement if it's not 100 percent.   That would be massive egg on his face if the deal fell through.  It would become a meme.   Deal is done.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is true. But there is close to zero % chance #3 happens.  

It is, although, starting to look like the Jets are going to overpay.  

@jgb mentioned in another thread about waiting until the Jets possibly trade down in round 1. Maybe JD wants a certain number of picks in this draft since they couldn’t spend too much because of AR and both agreed to see if he can make some magic happen on draft day to create more trade assets and/or draft assets for the Jets.

That might be the compromise that benefits both. I think the Jets should be doing this anyways but it’s a great way to appease a stubborn/delusional/entitled Green Bay.

• Upvote 1

He’s clearly sauced up here. Not sure if the packers react to this nicely or the nfl thinks tampering. Prob an unnecessary statement that JD did not make up to this point till two entertainment goons got him liquored up and cornered at a charity event ?‍♂️

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

The whole scene was very Wayne's World-ish. 

So who's coming to your concert, Wayne? 

Ummmmm, well, Aerosmith!  Yeah, Aerosmith is coming!  They're going to be here, it's awesome, get your tickets. 

And the he walks off stage and Garth is like, "Aerosmith isnt coming to our concert, Wayne, and you just told all those nice people they are".

87C6B2C5-6602-47C1-8700-EB14ADC667EC.webp

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Falco21 said:

I honestly don't think some Jets fans realize how significant this trade will be for this franchise. Rodgers is coming in with a GIANT chip on his shoulder ready to destroy the notion that he has one foot out the door and is not the same player he used to be. 

I truly believe this move and change of scenery will have a HUGE impact on him. I can see him pulling a Brady type move and play another 3-4 years with the Jets. The youth in this locker room will, no doubt, provide a burst of life into his play and I think when he starts to see how talented these guys are, he may want to stick around for a few years and conquer New York. 

Brady played 3 years for the Bucs. While he had a very talented roster, he also did not have the same youth this roster has. 

While I agree with you about Rodgers having a giant chip on his shoulder and having a terrific year, there's still the part of me that is always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  I could see AR playing great and then getting hurt, just like happened to Favre here. 

Whatever happens, I just don't want our season to be lost due to some BS (injury, bad call, playoff game in awful weather, etc).  I hope the "football gods" will just let this team have a real crack at things this year and we'll see what happens.  The AFC is tough enough with all these great QBs that we don't need some other type of BS derail our season.  

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They would need Rodgers to agree to go to another team first in order to get that team to offer any reasonable package for his services. If Rodgers-to-the-Jets was as in-peril as the click-bait community wanted you to believe, the Jets would be working out Will Levis as we speak and Tennessee would be leaking rumors about the hot Ryan Tannehill trade market. 

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah they’re both completely obliterated.  On that note…I gotta be honest. 

Obviously, I love the implication.

That being said…I don’t, particularly, love our GM getting absolutely hammered and getting on stage with a, equally, hammered Boomer Esiason and acting this way.

It would've been amazing if JD was wearing one of those "This Team Makes Me Drink" t-shirts.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Jets and Packers could be having mutual practices with Rodgers playing for the Jets and some people would be like I am not sure the trade will happen.  :)

Yes but the 49ers are practicing on that same field afterward!

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This is true. But there is close to zero % chance #3 happens.  

It is, although, starting to look like the Jets are going to overpay.  

I agree it's going to happen but what signs are you seeing that make you say "starting to look like the Jets are going to overpay"?  My hunch is we will because I keep reading stuff like "a #2 pick and a conditional pick that could go to #1" but then I remember that we really have no idea what the price will be.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is a professional football franchise only in the most technical sense.

Walt Michaels drinking and otherwise flipping out calling other team owners/staff during the game, Rex Ryan taping his role-play foot come on to his own wife.   I'm fine with the pretzel man

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

So who are you? JD's Mom? JD can dress and eat however the fluck he wants to and he damn sure do not need anyone telling him how to do it.  If he doesn't want a covid shot or an electric car that's up to him Lunger - not you or anyone else. Get lost!

To be fair, and similar to exhaust fumes, fat guys wearing t-shirts that are too short is something that affects all of us.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I agree it's going to happen but what signs are you seeing that make you say "starting to look like the Jets are going to overpay"?  My hunch is we will because I keep reading stuff like "a #2 pick and a conditional pick that could go to #1" but then I remember that we really have no idea what the price will be.

Yeah, seems to be coming up a lot lately - that it's 2 this year and 2 next year (that can go to a one) And today I heard that it's a 2 and a 1 guaranteed next year.  and the only thing holding up is Jets want a 3rd back if Rodgers doesn't play year 2.

If he gives up 2 2's (or even worse a 2 and a 1) essentially bidding against himself would be a horrible job by JD.

The money matters though - so this view will ultimately change based on how much of the contract GB takes on.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, seems to be coming up a lot lately - that it's 2 this year and 2 next year (that can go to a one) And today I heard that it's a 2 and a 1 guaranteed next year.  and the only thing holding up is Jets want a 3rd back if Rodgers doesn't play year 2.

If he gives up 2 2's (or even worse a 2 and a 1) essentially bidding against himself would be a horrible job by JD.

The money matters though - so this view will ultimately change based on how much of the contract GB takes on.

I still buy into that it's not really the draft comp at this point but the restructuring of the contract and ultimately which team eats a lot of the money that is moveable with a restructure.  Maybe also the issue of AR potential retirement after 2024 draft but before season. But as has been reported here weeks ago, the main elements de facto completed. 

At least I hope that's the case. FWIW.  Not much.

• Upvote 3

I really hope that this has no negative effects.   

I like JD and glad he had fun, but he is a highly paid professional with key responsibilities for a multi-billion $ business.  This was not a great look, and if the NFL says anything about this, there should be consequences. 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I still buy into that it's not really the draft comp at this point but the restructuring of the contract and ultimately which team eats a lot of the money that is moveable with a restructure.  Maybe also the issue of AR potential retirement after 2024 draft but before season. But as has been reported here weeks ago, the main elements de facto completed. 

At least I hope that's the case. FWIW.  Not much.

For JD to say what he said you’d hope the deal is done in principle. Otherwise he has signaled that GB does not need to make any more concessions, if the sides are still negotiating.

Could also be that two offers from Jets are on table and GB has said they’d accept one or the other come draft time. Perhaps one deal gives them better picks but they eat more money, with the other being the opposite.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I really hope that this has no negative effects.   

I like JD and glad he had fun, but he is a highly paid professional with key responsibilities for a multi-billion $ business.  This was not a great look, and if the NFL says anything about this, there should be consequences. 

Brady, sh!t faced out of his mind, was literally tossing the coveted Lombardi Trophy to fans across Tampa Bay (before needing to be carried off the boat).  I think JD will be okay here...

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

JD’s statements do not help the Jets bargaining position.  If I am the Packers I am saying to pay our asking price since you already think you traded Rodgers. 

This is a colossal screwup. 

Not if the main parts of the deal are done. They are not changing now.  But neither you nor I know what's really up, do we?  So I'll refrain from the "screw-up" accusation for now.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed that a #2 and a #1 would be an overpay.  I don't get the idea that trading our #1 this year is a non-starter but we might trade a #1 next year.

To me it’s clear the deal is done and not yet announced for some reason or another.  
The Jets GM is in front of a bunch of rabid Jets fans being interviewed by a Long Island native and former Jet himself.   For all we know they addressed in advance if the question could be asked.   He chose the time to share some good news he’s been holding tight to the vest.   There will be no ramifications or tampering charges from GB because they already have a deal.  Having said all that if all this turns out to be wrong and he made an announcement without a deal in place then it is professional malpractice which I just can’t believe he would commit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1