Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

It’s, genuinely, been on the 1-yard line for weeks.  I think fans are learning that this doesn’t, necessarily, mean the one sticking point from getting it into the end zone will be dealt with imminently, as Rap put it.  They negotiated the sticking point, established their stances, dug in, with minimal communication other than “u blink 1st/no u.”  Now it’s the week of the draft, so they’re both realizing they’re not going to “super-fleece” the other, so it’s time to compromise, finish the deal, because both sides want, and need, it done.

All the media leaks out of gb didn't scare woody and the jets management into giving up more to avoid the negative headlines... So in the end the deal will now move forward rather quickly I think... Now there is an immediate deadline on Thursday 

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

All the media leaks out of gb didn't scare woody and the jets management into giving up more to avoid the negative headlines... So in the end the deal will now move forward rather quickly I think... Now there is an immediate deadline on Thursday 

My hope is that it will be done before the draft.  That being said, if this came down to a draft day deal because a player GB really likes slid, so now they’re willing to move off of something so that they can negotiate a swap of #13 and #15, I wouldn’t be completely stunned.  Ultimately, I don’t believe that will be the case, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t put a hard deadline on anything just yet.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s, genuinely, been on the 1-yard line for weeks.  I think fans are learning that this doesn’t, necessarily, mean the one sticking point from getting it into the end zone will be dealt with imminently, as Rap put it.  They negotiated the sticking point, established their stances, dug in, with minimal communication other than “u blink 1st/no u.”  Now it’s the week of the draft, so they’re both realizing they’re not going to “super-fleece” the other, so it’s time to compromise, finish the deal, because both sides want, and need, it done.

Is the sticking point the conditional pick coming back from the Packers if/when Rodgers flakes out? 

• Upvote 1

This topic went from are we getting AR to what are we giving up...is this fan group ever going to be happy?  It's like we win the SB by a point or two and the complainers will come out saying we should have won by more...let's just get AR in here...period.  JD isn't giving up his right nut to get him...or his left.

1 hour ago, derp said:

More or less than 43 and a 2024 second round pick that’s a first if the Jets play in the Super Bowl for Rodgers, 78, and a 2025 conditional pick from Green Bay that becomes a round less than the Jets’ 2024 pick they acquired if Rodgers doesn’t play in 2024?

I’s say if you took out the 72, then yes

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

My hope is that it will be done before the draft.  That being said, if this came down to a draft day deal because a player GB really likes slid, so now they’re willing to move off of something so that they can negotiate a swap of #13 and #15, I wouldn’t be completely stunned.  Ultimately, I don’t believe that will be the case, I’m just saying that I wouldn’t put a hard deadline on anything just yet.

I truly believe that a scenario like this (and a few others) is the reason this isn't official yet and may not be until Thursday night

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s, genuinely, been on the 1-yard line for weeks.  I think what fans of both teams are learning that this doesn’t, necessarily, mean that the one sticking point from getting it into the end zone was going to/will be dealt with imminently, as Rap put it.  They negotiated the sticking point, established their stances, dug in, with minimal communication other than “u blink 1st/no u.”  Now it’s the week of the draft, so they’ve both realized that they’re, probably, not going to “super-fleece” the other, so it’s time to compromise, finish the deal, because both sides want, and need, it done.

Do you think it gets done before the draft? I am not sure a draft say is feasible because it seems like some cap maneuvers on both ends have to occur to facilitate the trade.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Think this only plays out if JSN and 2 OTs the Jets like are available. Not impossible, but unlikely. 

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’s say if you took out the 72, then yes

So more. I'm curious who's driving the wanting this done before the draft. To me that trade's worth more than the same 2024 pick and a 2025 conditional pick depending on if he plays - which I imagine is what it is if it's postdraft. So I'd think there should be a pre-draft discount for the Jets. But I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, derp said:

So more. I'm curious who's driving the wanting this done before the draft. To me that trade's worth more than the same 2024 pick and a 2025 conditional pick depending on if he plays - which I imagine is what it is if it's postdraft. So I'd think there should be a pre-draft discount for the Jets. But I could be wrong.

It’s such a weird situation because Green Bay can only give him to the Jets or try to keep him, so anything the Jets are offering is like a nominal charge for a rental on a HoF QB, but the flip side is that there’s a ton of pressure on Gutenkunst and LaFleur to show that they don’t suck without Rodgers. That said, I think the 2 + Conditional 2/1 +Corey Davis is fair(?), and that anything else coming back from the Packers is excessive. Why should the Packers take a hit if Rodgers only plays one year? That’s the Jets problem! 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

All the media leaks out of NY didn’t scare Gute and Packers management into caving in to avoid the negative headlines... So in the end the deal will now move forward rather quickly I think... Now there is an immediate deadline on Thursday 

^^^^ how Reasonable Packer Fan looks at this

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Do you think it gets done before the draft? I am not sure a draft say is feasible because it seems like some cap maneuvers on both ends have to occur to facilitate the trade.

Gun to my head?  Yes.  That has always been my feeling, but neither scenario would surprise me.

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s such a weird situation because Green Bay can only give him to the Jets or try to keep him, so anything the Jets are offering is like a nominal charge for a rental on a HoF QB, but the flip side is that there’s a ton of pressure on Gutenkunst and LaFleur to show that they don’t suck without Rodgers. That said, I think the 2 + Conditional 2/1 +Corey Davis is fair(?), and that anything else coming back from the Packers is excessive. Why should the Packers take a hit if Rodgers only plays one year? That’s the Jets problem! 

I think it’s too much given the Packers really don’t have an alternative. There’s a scenario that the Jets don’t make the playoffs, Rodgers plays one year, and they give up 2023 and 2024 twos for that. Way too much.

Honestly I think 42/43 should be plenty for a guy who’s 39 and thinking about retiring. The Favre pick ranged from a one to a four and was a year out. I get the Packers wanting something this year to help Love or something that’s a potential one to save face, but I think both is excessive.

That’s why I threw out the 43/78 swap as an alternative - same value as 64 this year. Packers get something, Jets don’t lose a pick a year they just have six, and it’s basically like Moore was in the trade from the Jets’ standpoint.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think they’re as desperate for ‘23 picks as guys here think. They want their perceived value for Rodgers.

They have a full slate of ‘23 picks already, not much cap space, and no real pressure or expectations to win this year.

So you believe they are fine with fielding an inadequate team with minimal improvement?  They are trying to save face on their mismanagement of Rodgers going back to the day they gave him his current contract.  And if Rodgers ends up playing here in 2023 in a deal made after the draft for '24 picks but no '23 picks, then the Green Bay GM is going to look like a fool. Not happening. 

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

From my understanding, it stems from the Jets offering a conditional pick that can become a first vs GB wanting a guaranteed 1st, with no conditions attached. The Jets made it clear that they’re not interested in guaranteeing anything, especially because of the possibility that it can only be a one year rental, and a pick going back to them came into discussion as negotiations on the 2024 pick(s) continued.  So now the Jets really want protection, as they’re going to likely have to change the original offer that both parties were comfortable with prior to Rodgers informing them both that he wants New York, to make it easier to bump the conditional pick up.  

Green Bay are, really, the ones that held this up.  The stories of Woody getting involved, or being “spooked”, I was told, were not true, and Green Bay decided, some time ago, after parameters were agreed to, that they wanted a pick without any conditions associated with it.

Thanks. That explains how JD let woody take his jet to California and then wound up in a stand off. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s, genuinely, been on the 1-yard line for weeks.  I think what fans of both teams are learning that this doesn’t, necessarily, mean that the one sticking point from getting it into the end zone was going to/will be dealt with imminently, as Rap put it.  They negotiated the sticking point, established their stances, dug in, with minimal communication other than “u blink 1st/no u.”  Now it’s the week of the draft, so they’ve both realized that they’re, probably, not going to “super-fleece” the other, so it’s time to compromise, finish the deal, because both sides want, and need, it done.

I can live with giving up 1 of the seconds but man, I really think the Jets don't have to make a move before or during the draft. The Packers are the only ones who may NEED something to happen should they want 2023 picks (Packers currently have 10 picks)

Jets should use our picks for players around Rodgers, pick up negotiations after the draft. Offer the 2024 First if Green Bay eats a portion of that atrocious bonus that he has coming. IMO, Green Bay needs to offer us a trade more appealing than using all our picks on players to surround Rodgers.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I can live with giving up 1 of the seconds but man, I really think the Jets don't have to make a move before or during the draft. The Packers are the only ones who may NEED something to happen should they want 2023 picks (Packers currently have 10 picks)

Jets should use our picks for players around Rodgers, pick up negotiations after the draft. Offer the 2024 First if Green Bay eats a portion of that atrocious bonus that he has coming. IMO, Green Bay needs to offer us a trade more appealing than using all our picks on players to surround Rodgers.

I’m totally with you, but I suspect the packers will compromise before the draft. they have 10 picks, but I believe 7 of them are day 3, right? 

I think they are gonna want a premium pick in this draft. 

• Upvote 1