If I were Joe Douglas, I would warn the Green Bay Packers.

Alka

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 3
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You want him to hold firm but you want him to tell them time is running out?  What's the rush?  He's not making the Jets better in April and May.  Best case scenario is they dont get a deal before the draft, use all their picks to get better, and trade future draft picks for ARod after the draft. 

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the fact still remains that when the draft begins, the Jets have the option of doing whatever they think will be in the best interest of the organization. If they love a QB at #13, or in the 2nd round, then that would be making a statement.  Now, I know most fans would hate this idea of drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2, since that QB must be developed for the future.  But what if no QB is picked in the draft, and we trade for Rodgers?  The Jets would still need a QB for the future to develop, no? There is no guarantee that Rodgers won't retire after this year.  There is no guarantee that the Jets will even get to the playoffs with Rodgers.  

I think it all comes down to "what prospects do the Jets love when they are on the clock?"  If they have the best player available at QB, and no Rodgers deal is in place, Should they take him?  That would be my question.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Yea, lets roll with another unproven rookie QB at 13 who would easily be a 3rd or 4th rounder in any other draft

Solid stance....that will scare them

If that  happens I’m going on a groundhog killing spree and I’m not stopping until everyone of those furry bastards are dead! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

At this point, we are all debating the same thing.  Are we okay with this deal not happening?  It means we keep all our picks and cap room, but are likely looking at Bridgewater, Wentz, or Ryan for a season while we figure out our 2024 plan.  

As much as I'd hate to see that happen, I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.  For me that's roughly a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd (with escalation for a SB appearance only).  But at the end of the day, I have no control so it will be what it will be and I will still root for the team like mad.  In that case I will root for Rodgers to show up and create strife there and the Packers to be firmly mediocre, winning about 7 games so they are stuck in purgatory indefinitely.

I think we are thinking exactly the same!   I wouldn't change one word of your post.

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

You want him to hold firm but you want him to tell them time is running out and you're going to draft a QB?  What's the rush?  He's not making the Jets better in April and May.  Best case scenario is they dont get a deal before the draft, use all their picks to get better, and trade future draft picks for ARod after the draft. 

Yes, but Aaron Rodgers level of butthurt being left at the alter by  the Jets for an unproven rookie could be beyond epic. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.

Here is my response to this take over and over....whats the plan with no a rod? Who is playing QB? Will that QB get us to the playoffs? Hard to see it. JD be committing suidice by "sticking to his guns" 

NO ONE will care if he gave away a 2024 first rounder if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl or AFC Championship

Just now, kevinc855 said:

Here is my response to this take over and over....whats the plan with no a rod? Who is playing QB? Will that QB get us to the playoffs? Hard to see it. JD be committing suidice by "sticking to is guns" 

NO ONE will care if he gave away a 2024 first rounder if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl or AFC Championship

Yes, but according to what's out there, Green Bay wants a guaranteed 1st round pick in 2024, no matter if the Jets go to the Superbowl, or if the Jets go 1-16 this year with Rodgers.  Of course, nobody cares if we give up a 1st round pick in 2024 if the Jets go to the Superbowl!

• Upvote 1

Setting a deadline would weaken his position and require him to continue negotiations from a position of weakness.

Everyone knows the deal and the Packers know as well as anyone that all sorts of craziness can happen during the draft that could imperil a deal left undone. Imposing a deadline would be a classic negotiation blunder. Untested negotiators think setting a deadline is being “tough” or “pushing for resolution,” but to a seasoned negotiator it is a clear signal that timing can be used as leverage.

I’ve had the other side hit me with deadlines many times. My immediate response is to sweeten my offer to the benefit of my client. Timing is important to you? Fine, pay me for it. If a deal isn’t done by their deadline, I just ignore it. Never once has a negotiation broken down because I refused to play according to my opponent’s rules and in all cases I used it to obtain immediate concessions and/or to further increase the power and control dynamic in my favor (often by purposefully slow-playing).

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

Empty threats are empty. 

• JD doesn't have the luxury, as a 20-46 GM going into the 5th of his 6 year contract, of "just starting another drafted QB" in 2023.
  • The QB's likely to fall to us are Hendon Hooker, Tanner McKee and the prospects rated lower than them.  No one buys them as threats to be drafted #13 and started immediately.
  • Later round QB's are not protection from anything.  The vast bulk of them never amount to anything.  You're basically talking about the Captain Morgan types.  Sure, every year someone loves one of them, but in the vast majority, they're #3's and nothing more.
  • Also, how do you know he hasn't said that?  Why do you think he's not "holding firm"?  The fact the deal isn't done and is dragging on would imply he's doing both of those things already.
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the fact still remains that when the draft begins, the Jets have the option of doing whatever they think will be in the best interest of the organization. If they love a QB at #13, or in the 2nd round, then that would be making a statement.  Now, I know most fans would hate this idea of drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2, since that QB must be developed for the future.  But what if no QB is picked in the draft, and we trade for Rodgers?  The Jets would still need a QB for the future to develop, no? There is no guarantee that Rodgers won't retire after this year.  There is no guarantee that the Jets will even get to the playoffs with Rodgers.  

I think it all comes down to "what prospects do the Jets love when they are on the clock?"  If they have the best player available at QB, and no Rodgers deal is in place, Should they take him?  That would be my question.

Zach is the QB we are going to develop. He has way more talent than anyone we could pick and was never properly brought along by a rookie OC that was over his head. He has elite traits and just needs to learn the position better. He will be given every opportunity to be the guy post Rodgers as he should. If a proven OC doesn't like him after working with him for a year, then draft someone new and move on. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

Yes, but according to what's out there, Green Bay wants a guaranteed 1st round pick in 2024, no matter if the Jets go to the Superbowl, or if the Jets go 1-16 this year with Rodgers.  Of course, nobody cares if we give up a 1st round pick in 2024 if the Jets go to the Superbowl!

Again, no Rodgers because you want to protect the 24th 1st to what end? 7-10 again with a terrible QB? I don't understand this logic. 

50 minutes ago, Alka said:

Or put 1 of the 2nd round picks up for open trade. For rodgers or future first. Packs can take it, or take the future first we will flip it for. We are in win now mode, they are not so much. A team like the chiefs probably would give up a future first to tack on a near top 2nd to win now also .

47 minutes ago, Alka said:

What made you think this nonsense was deserving of its own thread instead of putting it in the main one about Rodgers?

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

You want him to hold firm but you want him to tell them time is running out and you're going to draft a QB?  What's the rush?  He's not making the Jets better in April and May.  Best case scenario is they dont get a deal before the draft, use all their picks to get better, and trade future draft picks for ARod after the draft. 

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

At this point, we are all debating the same thing.  Are we okay with this deal not happening?  It means we keep all our picks and cap room, but are likely looking at Bridgewater, Wentz, or Ryan for a season while we figure out our 2024 plan.  

As much as I'd hate to see that happen, I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.  For me that's roughly a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd (with escalation for a SB appearance only).  But at the end of the day, I have no control so it will be what it will be and I will still root for the team like mad.  In that case I will root for Rodgers to show up and create strife there and the Packers to be firmly mediocre, winning about 7 games so they are stuck in purgatory indefinitely.

Firmly agree with these two posts.

Think it makes sense for the Jets to just have a cheap pre-draft take it or leave it offer on the table and see if the Packers bite. Both teams should want the 2023 picks. Jets are in a position to load up the roster for while they have Rodgers. Packers want to help Love. If they want 2023 picks? Jets are going to get a discount for giving up those 2023 picks. Packers don't like that? Then we negotiate after the draft. 

This trade is easier to make with 2024 and 2025 picks. Can set conditions on 2024 performance and whether or not Rodgers plays plus 2025 performance. Optics of getting a higher 2025 pick if Rodgers plays are probably better for Green Bay than giving up something if he doesn't. Easy to make conditions to protect both teams.

And that's roughly my line in the sand too. I wouldn't be surprised if the offer is lower for the reasons above, but I think it'd be absolutely bananas to give up more than that for a player a team is bidding against themselves for. Packers can have all the principles they want about what they feel they should get for him, Jets should have principles for what to give up when you're the only interested party for a player that a team wants to get rid of as well. If they want to play chicken, I'm fine with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Again, no Rodgers because you want to protect the 24th 1st to what end? 7-10 again with a terrible QB? I don't understand this logic. 

I have no interest in protecting the 24th 1st if the Jets go to the superbowl.  But if the Jets don't even get to the playoffs, are you saying you would be okay to give up the 2024 1st round pick?  If the Jets go 7-10 with Aaron Rodgers, are you saying it would be okay to give up the 2024 1st round pick?   

That is the logic I'm talking about.

• Sympathy 1

Zero chance the jets are taking a QB.

The time for tough talk with the Packers was before FA, that was the time to set a deadline for him and Rodgers and say here is our offer, we want him but if there is no yes buy this date we are moving in a different direction.  Good luck finding another team.

The Jets painted themselves into a corner and are now the fans are trying to manufacturer totally implausible scenarios to put pressure on the packers. 

40 minutes ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

The Packers are totally in control in these negotiations. Jets have zero leverage to force anything. 

Edit- well you are right nobody ever forces anything.   The Jets are in a better spot to push for terms though.  

BATNA Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreement - What is the Packer’s?  What is the Jets?  

The Jets are in a much stronger position.  

The Rodgers contract is a disaster.  Otherwise the Packers would be swimming in offers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

You do understand, the best thing for new York is that this done after the draft, and no 2023 compensation is possible?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

What made you think this nonsense was deserving of its own thread instead of putting it in the main one about Rodgers?

I think that threads should be judged on how many responses that people decide to respond to.  If a thread has no responses, or very few, than that thread would be deemed nonsense of deserving its own thread.  

I like my thread.  If you don't like it, or think it's nonsense, then ignore it.  But you didn't, did you?  

Do you know what I do when I think a thread is nonsense?  I ignore it!  Maybe you can learn something from me.  Maybe not.  I don't know you, and maybe that's a good thing.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Here is my response to this take over and over....whats the plan with no a rod? Who is playing QB? Will that QB get us to the playoffs? Hard to see it. JD be committing suidice by "sticking to his guns" 

Will nobody care if JD gives away a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd and Rodgers is finished, has a poor season, retires, and the Jets go 7-10 again, or worse, and GB got multiple picks and a huge contract off it's books ?  Then the Jets have no QB, have no assets to trade for a QB in 2024, and took a one year flier and crashed. You'll be the first one screaming for JD's head if that happens.  There is football beyond 2023 and the Jets can't give away too much for a one year flier just to satisfy your desire for a one year run at a playoff berth.  We've seen these seasons before and they are not that satisfying.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Would be fascinating if the Texans didn’t take a qb and the jets traded up to 3 with those picks to get stroud.  

If the Texans didn’t take a QB, they wouldn’t stay where they are. Stroud will still go in that spot.