### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Douglas made three first round picks last year and two of them won rookie of the year. And JJ had a good season. Botched? I strongly disagree.

My response was to bitonti when he said McDonald was going to take away snaps from JJ.  My big beef with the pick is overall pick of a guy who is not going to be on the field more than 50% of the Dsnaps. 

My other issue is that edge is one of the few deep parts of this draft, we can find dangerous rotational guys later in the draft.

He will be a success if we racks up like 12-15 sacks a year.  I guess we will find out.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Maynard13 said:

Definately. Schmidt or tippman will be there and JD hopefully trades up and gets Blake Freeland who is projected to go around 80.

I’m wondering if he trades back tomorrow b/c they have no 3rd rounder.  But even if they don’t and take an OL, that’s 2 big positions of need addressed.  At this point I’m wondering if they go C or OT.

• Upvote 1

As a situational pass rusher, he could literally have the best pass rush win rate in the entire NFL… and still only be worthy of being tendered at a 2nd round level.

We know this because Bryce Huff has the best pass rush win rate in the NFL and we tendered him at a 2nd round level.

• Upvote 3

I know JD has traded up back into round 1 in the past but prob not enough draft capital to do it. As for McDonald don’t know much about him but I’ll take glass half full. Based on what ESPN crew said about him even before Jets selected him sounds like just a really good player and a guy who can play in NFL. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, undertow said:

Even if this guy is good you know they are playing him 10 snaps a game. lol  It makes the JJ trade up nonsense also.

The DL rotation is possibly the reason Calais Campbell signed with Atlanta. He said  “The Jets made a strong offer as well,” Campbell said. “It really came down to where I felt like I could have the biggest impact both on and off the field.”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

My response was to bitonti when he said McDonald was going to take sway snaps from JJ.  My big beef with the pick is overall pick of a guy who is not going to be on the field more than 50% of the Dsnaps. 

My other issue is that edge is one of the few deep parts of this draft, we can find dangerous rotational guys later in the draft.

He will be a success if we racks up like 12-1 sacks a year.  I guess we will find out.

There was not a player there at 15 who was going to be on the field more than 50% of the snaps this year if injuries do not come in bunches.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m wondering if he trades back tomorrow b/c they have no 3rd rounder.  But even if they don’t and take an OL, that’s 2 big positions of need addressed.  At this point I’m wondering if they go C or OT.

Yeah I think it is a real possibility he trades back

Won’t shock me if Douglas takes a page out of his 2018 draft when he drafted 2 developmental tackles late. Most of the guys they were looking at for round 2 were interior lineman (both offense and defense). Not ruling out a tackle tomorrow but the board may not meet the value. 

Jets have shown a lot of interest in Blake Freeland, Joey Fisher, Jake Witt, Braeden Daniels 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

JD took a big swing on a guy tonight who has an athletic profile that correlates the the EDGE rushers you see on the top of the sack lists every years.

Not a guarantee of success but JD is looking for a guy who can self-create FG he edge and force teams to choose who to double.

Will he get the snaps/opportunities to contribute like some of those guys you see at the top of the sack lists though? 

Just now, football guy said:

Won’t shock me if Douglas takes a page out of his 2018 draft when he drafted 2 developmental tackles late. Most of the guys they were looking at for round 2 were interior lineman (both offense and defense). Not ruling out a tackle tomorrow but the board may not meet the value. 

Jets have shown a lot of interest in Blake Freeland, Joey Fisher, Jake Witt, Braeden Daniels 

Would you say the chalk pick tomorrow is a C or OT and no trade back and that’s a night?

I like the whole hey if our best play at whatever position gets hurt we are screwed...rodgers, Wilson, hall etc. Yeah. Nonsh*t. That.is the case for every team.in the league.

Pass rusher is a good pick in the first a premium pick. O thought we go wr but hard to knock a guy that grades as one of the best at his position among those drafted for a decade.

The idea that "Belichick screwed us" makes me laugh.  He's an opposing coach/GM in our division.  It's not his job to help us.  Plus he played his cards right.  They probably knew they could still get their guy 3 picks later and picked up an extra pick in the meantime. 

1 minute ago, football guy said:

He’s gonna need more selections.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My response was to bitonti when he said McDonald was going to take away snaps from JJ.  My big beef with the pick is overall pick of a guy who is not going to be on the field more than 50% of the Dsnaps. 

He will be a success if we racks up like 12-15 sacks a year.  I guess we will find out.

lol you hate the rotation but the deeper it gets, the more impact plays it generates

JJ isn't that bad of a botch when you find Clemons in the same draft. 

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I like the whole hey if our best play at whatever position gets hurt we are screwed...rodgers, Wilson, hall etc. Yeah. Nonsh*t. That.is the case for every team.in the league.

Pass rusher is a good pick in the first a premium pick. O thought we go wr but hard to knock a guy that grades as one of the best at his position among those drafted for a decade.

Remember when we used to take ILB/S/DT in the first round?

now we’re so spoiled we’re booing edge rushers. 

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I don't care about what NE does; my point is that no matter who JD picks most of the board would be unhappy. I can see us passing on him and he becoming a freak on ANY team and poster would be saying 'JD' was too chicken sh*t to take a chance on him. That was really my point.

As far as JSN goes; yep he may be great, but it is not like we didn't sign 2 FA WRs. My guess is that we are not done on O this draft/offseason. JD fell in love with his pick. Sounds like you fell in love with picking JSN. At this point, I am hoping JD was right.

We picked this kid (or old man). At this point calling bust or wasted pick is crazy. Hopefully JD and Saleh know what they are doing. Let's at least wait until OTAs before we flush this pick. This is what happens when you pick in the middle of the first; you often have to take a chance on a player that you love. Anyway, what is done is done - might as well hope for the best.

I'm a JD fan, but he over thought this pick. He could have traded down like so many other teams are doing this first round and gained at least 1 if not 2 more picks this year and still had his pick at the end of round 1. Also allowing us to take OL in round 2. I'm not trying to say it's a bad pick, it's just a bad pick at that position.