My favorite draftee Jack Kuntz 10.0 RAS

7 hours ago, British Jet said:

I can’t believe his mother is called Kitty Kuntz. 

Just wait until he introduces his mother to Zach Wilson.  That will be a pay per view event.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

So the question is with 4 TEs on the roster looks like one will have to the "hidden" on the practice squad.  Whoever it is will likely be poached :( 

Its fine we'll just hide Kuntz in a brothel until 2024. 

bean.jpg

2 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Someone explain to me how a guy of his film and talent lasts to the 7th round. I get the knee injury but that cannot be the sole reason. Also how did the Jets not take him earlier? This kid screams a 2nd / 3rd rd pick and 31 other teams let him slide

He’s 255 ?  That’s all I can think of 

Let’s not put him in canton just yet. Sounds like a good pick but more importantly shows the potential value of the later round picks. I know I used to think any picks after round three were throwaways. In reality these guys can be the teams future. The players have to come from some where.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

He towers over everyone on the field... It's like playing twice the size of everyone

Line him up outside in the red zone.  Have Rodgers throw a fade, "go get it giant freak!"

I mean, he fell to the 7th. So there's something wrong.

Of course Antonio Gates was undrafted.

23 hours ago, Vader said:

I can't believe they haven't changed their name.

Another note: isn't it dope that the Kuntz is part of the Rodgers trade and bookends it

This trade is a LANDSLIDE victory, especially after Green Bay selects a linebacker with pick 32 next year. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:36 PM, Integrity28 said:

Outside if the top 5 TE, this was the freak show I wanted out of this draft.

Love it.

My wishlist was 1 impact OL, an upgrade to RB behind Hall, and dipping into TE in the depth for improved red zone targets.

Checked all the boxes for me.

You know, when the Jets traded with the Patsies to gain the 7th round pick, you wonder if it was even worth it.  

What it all comes down to is this:  It isn't the pick, it's what you do with the pick that determines if it was worth it or not.  It seems like JD made a good trade with the Pats, because he made it count!!

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

You can teach someone to catch or block.

You can't teach 6'7"or 4.5 speed.

You can teach someone to catch.  You can't teach them to not have alligator arms when they are getting ready to get blasted as they cross the middle of the field.  You can teach someone how to block, but you can't teach them to have the killer instinct and finish the block to the whistle.  That is all about effort and willingness.  

From the very small amount of information I have gleaned, he seems to be able to do all of these things.  Plus, he seems capable of having the moves to pivot and run away from defenders after the break in his routes.  

It's very early, but I think that many of us have high hopes.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2023 at 6:10 PM, football guy said:

Fun fact: just realized used to play pickup basketball with his older brother at penn state. Confirmed also an athlete 

Here’s a fun comparison that came to mind, so I did a little checking.

Jimmy Graham coming out of Miami

Aaron & Jimmy hooked up well for a few years.

IMG_0131.thumb.png.06ac3fa3a6a80d2478d518c8f331e550.png

Zack Kuntz

IMG_0132.thumb.jpeg.e52000f86ce156adac4ce74c8522dbb4.jpeg

14 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

Someone explain to me how a guy of his film and talent lasts to the 7th round. I get the knee injury but that cannot be the sole reason. Also how did the Jets not take him earlier? This kid screams a 2nd / 3rd rd pick and 31 other teams let him slide

From Dane Brugler (The Athletic) .

STRENGTHS: Freaky athletic traits … turned heads with his combine testing and workout (his 40-inch vertical, 10-8 broad jump, 6.87 three-cone and 23 bench press reps all were No. 1 among tight ends) … easily gets over the top of coverage (seam or outside) when he stretches out his stride … willing to secure throws and take punishment over the middle … exceptionally long with the frame to pack on more muscle … very few drops on his film, and he has a catch radius that makes his quarterbacks appear more accurate than they are … able to seal on down blocks and shows the potential to be an asset in the run game … voted a senior captain … described as a “blue-collar kid” and the “vocal and emotional” leader of the tight end room.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks desired bulk on his stretched-out frame, especially in his lower half … struggles to leverage the point of attack as a blocker, especially in pass protection, because of a narrow base … subpar play strength and needs better utilize his biomechanics to access his power potential … relies too much on his body and wrists to finish catches … inconsistent using his big body to shield defenders … his tape should have more explosive plays for a receiver with his athleticism (only 48.2 percent of his receptions resulted in a first down or touchdown at Old Dominion) … relies more on speed than technique as a route runner … missed the second half of his senior season because of a dislocated knee cap (October 2022), which required surgery; missed the first half of his junior season in high school because of a preseason broken foot (August 2016).

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Old Dominion, Kuntz was a hybrid tight end in head coach Ricky Rahne’s balanced offense, lining up mostly detached. After struggling to make headway on Penn State’s depth chart, he became a pass-catching weapon, when healthy, at ODU and put together a dominant combine performance (testing and position drills). With his long strides, Kuntz creates separation when given any type of runway, and he provides a sizeable target for his quarterback (his wingspan was larger than 43 of the 51 offensive linemen at the combine). However, he struggles to answer power and physicality, as both a receiver and blocker, because of his linear body and frenetic movements.

Overall, Kuntz is unrefined as a route runner, blocker and pass catcher in traffic, but he has rare size/speed tools waiting to be cultivated. He is a developmental No. 3 tight end. GRADE: 4th-5th Round

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

WEAKNESSES: Lacks desired bulk on his stretched-out frame, especially in his lower half … struggles to leverage the point of attack as a blocker, especially in pass protection, because of a narrow base … subpar play strength and needs better utilize his biomechanics to access his power potential … relies too much on his body and wrists to finish catches … inconsistent using his big body to shield defenders … his tape should have more explosive plays for a receiver with his athleticism (only 48.2 percent of his receptions resulted in a first down or touchdown at Old Dominion) … relies more on speed than technique as a route runner … missed the second half of his senior season because of a dislocated knee cap (October 2022), which required surgery; missed the first half of his junior season in high school because of a preseason broken foot (August 2016).

This guy is a project Ron Middleton will embrace. If this young man will take instruction, Ron will put him through his paces and make him a professional TE1

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

This guy is a project Ron Middleton will embrace. If this young man will take instruction, Ron will put him through his paces and make him a professional TE1

He is a project.  Maybe he works out, maybe he doesn't. He was certainly worth the roll of the dice in the 7th round.  But lets not kid ourselves.  He is raw.  He is not ready to contribute right now.  He will be going up against much bigger, stronger and faster guys than he played against at ODU.  I love the pick, but the kid needs to make a huge leap.  I will be shocked if he is anything other than 4th on our TE depth chart this season. 

• Upvote 1