My favorite draftee Jack Kuntz 10.0 RAS

No. 220 (via Raiders): Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion

How he fits: Zack Rosenblatt’s analysis

The Jets invested heavily in the tight end position in 2022 (Tyler Conklin, C.J. Uzomah and Jeremy Ruckert) but couldn’t pass up the opportunity to add another one when Kuntz was still on the board in the seventh round. He’s an extremely intriguing prospect with an impressive combination of size (6-7, 255) and athleticism (4.55 40-yard dash, 40-inch vertical, 6.87-second three-cone drill). He missed most of last season with a dislocated knee cap.

Dane Brugler’s analysis

A two-year starter at Old Dominion, Kuntz was a hybrid tight end in head coach Ricky Rahne’s balanced offense, lining up mostly detached. After struggling to make headway on Penn State’s depth chart, he became a pass-catching weapon, when healthy, at ODU and put together a dominant combine performance (testing and position drills).

With his long strides, Kuntz creates separation when given any type of runway, and he provides a sizeable target for his quarterback (his wingspan was larger than 43 of the 51 offensive linemen at the combine). However, he struggles to answer power and physicality, as both a receiver and blocker, because of his linear body and frenetic movements.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Outside if the top 5 TE, this was the freak show I wanted out of this draft.

Love it.

My wishlist was 1 impact OL, an upgrade to RB behind Hall, and dipping into TE in the depth for improved red zone targets.

Checked all the boxes for me.

This exactly, I am not sure I remember going into the draft not needing a starting QB/RB/WR1/CB/DT all in the first 3 rounds. This to me was  a year where most positions are set, lets build a team. Now lets see who makes the field. 

• Upvote 2

Most pre draft predictors said he was in top 10 or better for tight end easily. He’s off an injury in 2022 after a big reception season in 2021 but his average yardage per reception and he had over 70 was under 10 per catch. The pre draft reports said they think he’s capable of learning the position in the NFL and already knows how to use his body. He was rated highly mostly because of his physical attributes and size. But the ESPN crew called him basically an underachiever with potential to be a top player but so far hasn’t really showed it on the field. They also said despite size not a good blocker. As to why the Jets drafted him after drafting a tight end last year in round 3. Ruckert wasn’t activated in a number of games and only had 1 catch for 8 yards. So looks like a competition to win that spot. 

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You don’t love that he had to leave PSU just to get on the field, but it’s worth a dart throw 

I just heard he left when the OC got the job at ODU, so hopefully it's a good sign that he wanted to bring him with him . . .

• Upvote 2