Jets sign OT Billy Turner

Rodgers should have a say in players signed esp the Oline. Who would know better than a vet QB about internal workings of line blocking assignments protection. So if Jets can acquire players he knows can play esp in Hackett offense it’s smart by JD. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Billy Turner is proof that we wanted an OT at 14?

So which player - Billy Turner or Broderick Jones would give the Jets better O Line play for the next 2 years? The answer is Turner - he has experience - what 10 years, he solid, dependable and has experience with Aaron Rodgers in the same system the Jets will be running. Sure long term Broderick Jones might and I mean might turn out to be better but he wouldn't be better than Turner this and next season with the Jets.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

The O-line has plenty of talent the danger is one tackle is injury prone and the other is old but I think they now have enough versatility to survive with Mitchell, Turner, Mcgovern can play guard and AVT can be kicked outside....not sure what else people wanted Broderick Jones wouldn't have been much of an upgrade over this in 2023 imo.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

So which player - Billy Turner or Broderick Jones would give the Jets better O Line play for the next 2 years? The answer is Turner - he has experience - what 10 years, he solid, dependable and has experience with Aaron Rodgers in the same system the Jets will be running. Sure long term Broderick Jones might and I mean might turn out to be better but he wouldn't be better than Turner this and next season with the Jets.  

Ya know, I didn’t take into account that today was the first time you could sign guys that would not count against the compensatory picks

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Coaches like to bring “their” guys to help teach scheme etc.. I think this is Hackett doing not AR

Aaron Rodgers: Billy Turner, unsung hero of Packers OL, deserves Pro Bowl consideration

October 19, 2021 3:13 pm CT

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has begun advocating for right tackle Billy Turner to receive Pro Bowl consideration.

In his weekly appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Tuesday, Rodgers called Turner the “unsung hero of the offensive line” and campaigned for him to get more national recognition.

“Billy Turner needs to get consideration for the Pro Bowl,” Rodgers said. “I know we’re only six games in, but he’s played outstanding. He really has. He’s a master of his craft. Nobody works harder at his craft than Billy. I’m really proud of him.”

Turner has started all six games and played all 380 offensive snaps for the Packers at right tackle. He’s faced the likes of Cameron Jordan, T.J. Watt and Khalil Mack to start the 2021 season but has allowed only three sacks and 14 total pressures over 225 pass-blocking snaps, per Pro Football Focus. One of the sacks allowed was the trip of Rodgers by Watt in Week 4.

ESPN’s run-block win rate metric has Turner with the eighth-best win percentage among offensive tackles. Overall, the Packers are fifth in pass-block win rate and ninth in run-block win rate.

The offensive line has been a patchwork group due to injuries to start 2021, but Turner, who arrived in Green Bay as a free-agent addition in 2019, remains the steady and reliable veteran at right tackle.

Getting more national attention might be difficult for Turner, especially once All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari returns in the coming weeks, but his play on the right side of the offensive line has played a big part in the Packers’ current five-game win streak.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/19/aaron-rodgers-billy-turner-unsung-hero-of-packers-ol-deserves-pro-bowl-consideration/

19 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really dont get how anyone could look at what JD is doing with the OL and be unhappy about it.

Turner is another versatile professional who doesnt make a lot of money and is on a short term contract.  Having players like him and McGovern on the team, along with drafting guys like Tippman, Warren and Mitchell is a way to have experienced depth while also developing younger players.  

I get that Betcon hasnt worked out and when we lost him and Fant we had to overpay Brown - but overall this is a solid group with both a low floor (the depth pieces are all not massive liabilities) and a high ceiling if Becton is healthy.  

I hope Warren is smart enough to attach himself to Turner 24-7 and learn how to get the most out of his ability.

Hope Warren attaches himself to Brown, too. The veterans in that room can be invaluable for the young guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Depth Signing ..nothing more to see here. he will be 5th on the depth chart

Yup.  He will be competing with Colon-Castillo and Schweitzer for the 8th or 9th roster spot.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Rodgers: Billy Turner, unsung hero of Packers OL, deserves Pro Bowl consideration

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has begun advocating for right tackle Billy Turner to receive Pro Bowl consideration.

In his weekly appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” on Tuesday, Rodgers called Turner the “unsung hero of the offensive line” and campaigned for him to get more national recognition.

“Billy Turner needs to get consideration for the Pro Bowl,” Rodgers said. “I know we’re only six games in, but he’s played outstanding. He really has. He’s a master of his craft. Nobody works harder at his craft than Billy. I’m really proud of him.”

Turner has started all six games and played all 380 offensive snaps for the Packers at right tackle. He’s faced the likes of Cameron Jordan, T.J. Watt and Khalil Mack to start the 2021 season but has allowed only three sacks and 14 total pressures over 225 pass-blocking snaps, per Pro Football Focus. One of the sacks allowed was the trip of Rodgers by Watt in Week 4.

ESPN’s run-block win rate metric has Turner with the eighth-best win percentage among offensive tackles. Overall, the Packers are fifth in pass-block win rate and ninth in run-block win rate.

The offensive line has been a patchwork group due to injuries to start 2021, but Turner, who arrived in Green Bay as a free-agent addition in 2019, remains the steady and reliable veteran at right tackle.

Getting more national attention might be difficult for Turner, especially once All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari returns in the coming weeks, but his play on the right side of the offensive line has played a big part in the Packers’ current five-game win streak.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/19/aaron-rodgers-billy-turner-unsung-hero-of-packers-ol-deserves-pro-bowl-consideration/

Uhm that was from 2021…he also knows Hackette

36 minutes ago, C Mart said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2022/03/29/broncos-billy-turner-bond-nathaniel-hackett-return-denver/

27 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really dont get how anyone could look at what JD is doing with the OL and be unhappy about it.

Turner is another versatile professional who doesnt make a lot of money and is on a short term contract.  Having players like him and McGovern on the team, along with drafting guys like Tippman, Warren and Mitchell is a way to have experienced depth while also developing younger players.  

I get that Betcon hasnt worked out and when we lost him and Fant we had to overpay Brown - but overall this is a solid group with both a low floor (the depth pieces are all not massive liabilities) and a high ceiling if Becton is healthy.  

I hope Warren is smart enough to attach himself to Turner 24-7 and learn how to get the most out of his ability.

Between overpaying for Brown and signing the corpse of Ryan Kalil, I think JD has learned his lesson.  Enter camp with maximum OL bodies who are versatile and can play multiple positions = not getting squeezed into a dumb signing in August...

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Between overpaying for Brown and signing the corpse of Ryan Kalil, I think JD has learned his lesson.  Enter camp with maximum OL bodies who are versatile and can play multiple positions = not getting squeezed into a dumb signing in August...

I kind of interpret some of these signings the same way. Naturally you can't predict how the draft turns out, but even after landing Tippmann and Warren last thing you want is to be picking up from the scrap heap if guys get injured in camp. If everyone stays healthy you can probably trade a few of these guys away for a draft pick the way we did with Jacob Martin last year 

Ideally McGovern remains as a backup but if wide zone teams sustain an injury at center the Jets will be on speed dial given his experience and salary

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1