Per B. Coz - Jets are waiving Mims if they can't find last-minute trade

Recent drafting including parts of the 2021 draft (Wilson aside) does make you wonder how much influence Adam Gase had on that first draft..  

It’s also important to note he went for the home run at LT and QB instead of the safer pick at RT and trading out of the Wilson pick.  Premium positions, boom or bust guys.

In any event, I don’t want to see us draft another boom or bust guy in round 1 or a WR who showed problems creating separation on his highlight tape from college. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think that there is more than meets the eye. There must be attitude stuff that got him and Moore off the team. For better or worse they are dead set on culture is extremely important.... any disruption to that and they are booted, but booted when the Jets are ready to not the player. 

Although he played nice by not causing a scene he has asked to be traded a few times as a jet.

Unquestionably there was attitude from Moore.  He was mistreated and sidelined by this Offense and it's horrible-playing QB and misguided O-Co, and he wasn't going to be silent about it.  Folks love ragging on Moore, for various reasons, some think he dogged it (he didn't) because they (those fans) wanted to defend Zach Wilson (lol), but Moore had a huge upside and we wasted it, then sold it away to the Browns.

Mims too might have cause for beef, the team has not treated him like a high draft pick, they treated him like an UDFA who had to learn all the spots and such before seeing a down, outside of emergency time due to injuries.  The Jets did not do what they should have to make the most of Moore or Mims tbqh.   

Clearly though Mims was not smart enough and/or motivated enough and/or good enough to make the Coaches happy with him to play him.  Honestly, it's probably all of the above, but you still want to see if a HOF QB and his hand-picked O-Co can salvage a physical talent like that.  Certainly over a guy like Cobb at this point, Rodgers security blanket friend or not.

Ultimately, I remain somewhat of the view that we've replicated the Packers too much, i.e. Rodgers and a WR group that isn't good enough as a whole.  Only guy I believe in in this group is Wilson.  But is what it is, I'll just have to wait and see if Lazard is alot better than I think he is as a pass-catcher, and/or if Davis can stay healthy and stop dropping balls.  Rodgers > Wilson is the key here, no excuses now for any Jets WR who plays poorly.

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I wonder why they wouldn't at least start with him in camp and wait until we see what we have ( and that we dont suffer an injury) before dumping him for nothing?  

What do they gain by releasing him this early? Another roster spot for camp?

They have had 3 entire seasons to see what they had in him.  They even put him in actual games, and when he was open, dropped passes that ended drives for the team.  

By waiving him, it gives other young receivers on the Jets an opportunity to show their abilities and make the team, without the distraction of Denzel Mims.

I happen to like the move.  Enough already with Mims!  He was a bad draft pick, and it's time to move on.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

It's a good idea, but we only consider the bad as it makes the narrative look better. Forget that those were his first two drafts and that he drafted talented players that simply didn't work out like any other GM that isn't batting a 1.000. Forget that he knocked the draft out of the park last year. Forget, that as you mentioned, the roster is totally different which has given most fans hope. In previous years that roster was so freaking bleak it was pathetically laughable, and that is no longer the case. Nope, lets focus on three years ago as opposed to today...

@Bronx is saying the only reason why you and anyone else have any hope for this season is because Aaron Rodgers is the QB. Not because of his draft prowess.
It’s a fair point.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'm no Mims fan, said he was a horrible pick when the pick was made, and he's proven me right ever since.

But with that said, I simply do not understand the timing on this.

New system, new QB, new O-Co.  Mims COULD have his "fresh start" here if he was anything other than grumpy poop.

I mean lets be real for a second:  Apart from the #1 spot (Wilson), everything behind that either has questions (Davis' health and hands, Lazard's ceiling as a ball-catcher, Cobb's age, Hardman's role as anything but depth), or is JAG level camp fodder, and Mims would, could and should have had every opportunity in camp this year, with his physical talents alone, to impress the new Offensive regime.

He's cheap, he's here, he's depth at worst.  The other guys around that #4/#5 WR position aren't exactly stars, lol.  I'd have retained him on a "last chance kid" basis in 2023.  Nothing to lose really.

Letting him lose only helps him.  Doesn't help us, especially if injury becomes a thing again this year.

/shrug, can only presume the Head Coach has no faith at all in Mims having any future in the NFL, and that's why this is happening now.

Honestly, I'm pretty meh with how WR has been handled and the positional talent going into 2023. 

Had I were GM, our WR starters would have been Wilson/Smith-Njigba/E.Moore this year (and yes, we'd still have Rodgers), which IMO is several steps talent-wise better than Wilson/Davis/Lazard.  Guess we'll see.

I think it's telling how poorly Saleh's regime has done with QB's and WR's frankly.  Lets hope that changes now.

Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

Every WR on the Jets roster right now has more productivity potential than Mims.  I wanted this guy to succeed, but at some point, you have to look at the body of work and admit it's not going to happen.  Too many other guys, even the unproven ones, who could contribute more and one or two who might turn into surprise, potential starters.

There's an outside chance he'll catch on somewhere and a WR whisperer will rescue his career.  It's a long shot.  Very long shot.

• Upvote 1

The scary thing for me with Douglas' drafts is not that 2020 sucks.  It is the sheer volume of players that looked good/promising that are now goners and stiffs.  Zuniga, Morgan and Perine were pretty much bad out of the gate.  I actually expected as much from Perine, but a swing and miss at QB or rush end is not the end of the world.  I give him a pass for Clarke with the fluke injury because he was a solid enough prospect.  Becton, Mims and Davis all showed varying amounts of promise and there was reason to think they would blossom over time. Instead by year 2 they sucked.  It was easy enough to blame that on luck (Becton's injuries) and the scheme change.

Bryce Hall looked solid through his 2nd year and was our #1 CB (if on the #32 D) but by year 3 he was DNP coaches decision.  In 2021 I will leave WIlson out of the convo,  but AVT looked good and apparently is.  Then we have Moore he looked good and by the middle of year 2 was a flaming disaster and more distraction than production.  Carter looked good and then took a huge step back last year.  MCII seems good, but Echols and the safeties turned LB showed promise but did not add much on the field and sure didn't step up in 2022. 

Last year's draft looks like a homerun.  Garrett WIlson, Breece Hall and Sauce all seem good enough that they should not have huge sophomore slumps <fingers crossed> but they were all top 40 picks.  My fear is when we wait for Ruckert, Johnson, Mitchell and Clemons to step up is it going to be like when we expected the same from Becton, Mims, Bryce Hall, MC1, etc?  God I hope not. .   

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Recent drafting including parts of the 2021 draft (Wilson aside) does make you wonder how much influence Adam Gase had on that first draft..  

It’s also important to note he went for the home run at LT and QB instead of the safer pick at RT and trading out of the Wilson pick.  Premium positions, boom or bust guys.

In any event, I don’t want to see us draft another boom or bust guy in round 1 or a WR who showed problems creating separation on his highlight tape from college. 

Yeah Wirfs was so safe he went top 5..oh wait.

Armchair GMs I tell ya

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas is the best, young GM in the league.  Its not his fault Adam Gase drafted mimsy.

Accordding to your knowledge, Adam Gase was in charge of the 2020 draft and made decisions over Joe Douglas.

Please provide a digital copy of your evidence. 

He just didn't make anything of his time with the team. No point in risking paying him for a camp-related injury when the team knows they're moving on. No reason to burn reps on him or let him see the offense in action. This gives him a chance to hop into another team's camp and try his fortune elsewhere. It's unfortunate to see another draft pick fail but there are too many good things to enjoy right now to agonize over another in a long line of second round disappointments.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are finding their players.  There are no prospects, upside, etc.  They need players that are gong to work with Rodgers.  Smart, hardworking players who do what they are told.  Rodgers is very corporate, and the Jets are becoming more corporate.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets are finding their players.  There are no prospects, upside, etc.  They need players that are gong to work with Rodgers.  Smart, hardworking players who do what they are told.  Rodgers is very corporate, and the Jets are becoming more corporate.  

If there was any hope for mims, it vanished when rodgers got here. There was no way rodgers was going to tolerate a guy like mims who does not run crisp routes.  I could have seen him working with moore though.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Explains why he wasn't at OTAs the later couple of weeks when the media was there

They probably informed him/his agent that this was going to happen.  In that regard I'll give the Jets kudos for doing this now, rather than holding a guy they know isn't in their longterm plans.  Much better chance of catching on with a team now while roster sizes are still large rather than cutting him in mid-August and giving him only a slim chance of making an impression with a new team.

I liked the pick at the time.  The value late in Round 2 seemed very good, and I still think Mims has some promise, but he wasn't going to make this roster after adding Lazard, Hardman, and Cobb.  And, if they tried to slide him to the PS he'd likely be poached anyway.

Garrett Wilson, Lazard, Corey Davis, Hardman, Cobb are the solid 5.  Let's see if they carry 6 and a guy like Brownlee gets a shot.

• Upvote 2

Hats off to JoeD for releasing Mims while there's still plenty of time to hook up with another team.

Just hope it's not in the AFCE, or even in the AFC. Like many on here, I had good hopes for Mims when we drafted him. Mims seems like the exact kind of WR Belichick would sign and turn into a Randy Moss! Thank god they don't have a QB over there.

My only qualm is the way he stops, turns, and jumps up to catch the ball in his stomach area, versus with his hands while on the run.

Good luck to him.

Oh, I can't remember the opponent, but I recall that 4th and 10 slant pass from ZW late in the game to seal the win for the Jets.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe Douglas is the best, young GM in the league.  Its not his fault Adam Gase drafted mimsy.

Adam Gase hired Joe Douglas.  There isn't a Johnson on the planet including Howard who knew who Joe Douglas was.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

That is comical. Douglas takes a job as a General Manager then decides, “gee, I’m new, I’ll just draft the guys that the fired GM had on his list”. 

no, put yourself in his shoes.   he didn't have much chance to scout out the players on the draft board and relied on the scouts used by mac and gase.  and don't forget gase was still head coach and would've had considerable input after mac was launched.  i don't believe he was going to change many selections.  and also don't forget that becton and mims were both slated for the first and second rounds respectively.  it's not like these guys were shots in the dark.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

And BYU remains.  Mims will latch on to a team without a horrible QB like he has had the last 3 years

Nobody can argue but G. Wilson just won OROY with same QB’s! But I do wish Mims the best but must be something he has to handle in his own head not sure changing teams will matter until and if that happens. 

• Upvote 2

This is on our crappy coaching staff.

Mims is an introvert. It was obvious in interviews with him on 1JD.

He is very talented and the best blocking WR on the team. 

But our loser HC wants all A personalities. And they were quite honestly completely inept in how they handled him

I am not the biggest Parcells fan, but Mims would have been successful under him.

Braylon Edwards was VERY similar to Mims. Some coaches just cant stand players like Mims. 

The whole multiple position thing was BS. Mims has enough value just from his run blocking.

Mims did not fail. Saleh and loser LaFleur ruined him.

I would not be shocked to see him succeed elsewhere at all. But let's make sure we give the corpse of Cobb a roster spot.

Whatever. Get ready for 5-11

• Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Adam Gase hired Joe Douglas.  There isn't a Johnson on the planet including Howard who knew who Joe Douglas was.  

Thank you.  Gase was the GM when Douglas was hired.  He thought he could make Joe a puppet until Douglas went to Chris and said “either he goes or I go.”

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

But our loser HC wants all A personalities. And they were quite honestly completely inept in how they handled him

I am not the biggest Parcells fan, but Mims would have been successful under him.

Braylon Edwards was VERY similar to Mims. Some coaches just cant stand players like Mims. 

The whole multiple position thing was BS. Mims has enough value just from his run blocking.

I would not be shocked to see him succeed elsewhere at all. But let's make sure we give the corpse of Cobb a roster spot.

I mean he’s not on the team to block. If he struggles communicating that’s going to travel with him elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyLV said:

Maybe Dorian Boose, Scott Frost, Rick Terry & Terry Day would have been HoF’s under Saleh. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Should have traded up for Tee Higgins. 

Similar player profile coming out of college, except Mims is more athletic while Higgins is actually good at football.

Nothing worse than “they should have traded up for” talk 4 years after the fact.

Easier to just say they shouldn’t have drafted Mims.  Should have drafted just about anyone mocked near his spot