Per B. Coz - Jets are waiving Mims if they can't find last-minute trade

15 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Should we do a quick recap of the current roster?

It's a good idea, but we only consider the bad as it makes the narrative look better. Forget that those were his first two drafts and that he drafted talented players that simply didn't work out like any other GM that isn't batting a 1.000. Forget that he knocked the draft out of the park last year. Forget, that as you mentioned, the roster is totally different which has given most fans hope. In previous years that roster was so freaking bleak it was pathetically laughable, and that is no longer the case. Nope, lets focus on three years ago as opposed to today...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Not really a surprise. Probably should have taken the trade offers last year, when it was clear he had no role here.

Maybe we can get a conditional late round pick, but I have my doubts.

Has any Baylor WR ever amounted to anything in the NFL? They tend to be fast but can't run routes. Mims is the latest, the guy the Pats drafted high last year is next in line.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It might make sense.  His value is low.  It isn't going to go up.  This may shake the bushes for teams later in the claim order that would be interested in throwing a 7th at us.

I would've thought they might want to give him some extra screen time on Hard Knocks to pique another team's interest. Guess they feel he's just not worth the roster spot even on a 90-man roster. One year left, doesn't play special teams, disappointment to date, and they just flat-out don't need him.

Best they'd likely get is a 7th conditional on him making their roster, since that costs another team nothing if they don't keep him. It'd be strange for someone to not offer that up at least, if they're even thinking about signing him as a FA, since they wouldn't even owe him a (likely very small) signing bonus as a FA after he's released.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What kind of silly take is this?  Tee Higgins went 33rd.  The Jets were at 48.  Why would the Bengals want to trade down?  The cost would have been a 3rd.  Yes the Jets would have been better off with Higgins than Mims and Zuniga, but if you are going to play that game then why not just sit pat and take Claypool, Akers, or Van Jefferson?  Even better, why not just take Hurts?  

Mims has a better physical profile and went 26 picks later.  That's why everybody was happy.  The Jets net Mims, James Morgan, Cam Clarke and Nasrildeen for #48.  Yes, those picks sucked.  Maybe we should remember that when we always screaming for the trade down.  They were not bad prospects, but they are bad players. 

Another point is just how much say Douglas had over that draft? Mac was still gm when the draft board was being done so unless there were some players Douglas knew about from his previous team he probably just accepted macs picks.  And, at the time, I don’t see where Mims was over drafted.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Throwing darts would have yielded a better result than JD's 2020 draft. I say this as someone who is generally pleased with the job JD has done. If Becton goes all-pro for the next five seasons, the draft would still be a D. As of now, it's a big fat F.

The first draft was nothing to brag about (though we may still get a franchise T out of it, maybe) but.... Tell that to this guy. He had, what, eleven picks in one draft and not one of them contributed for even a year from what I remember. Idzik drafted guys no one heard of, didn't have 'measurables', or even big team names. He drafted guys who hunted boars, and guys who had 20 surgeries in college. Idzik may have actually threw darts at names on a board. JD isn't perfect but we've had far worse. In Idzik's defense he cleared up the cap mess whereas Mac did nothing other than pass time. 

John Idzik's Tenure as New York Jets General Manager Was Short and  Unsuccessful - YouTube

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I'm no Mims fan, said he was a horrible pick when the pick was made, and he's proven me right ever since.

But with that said, I simply do not understand the timing on this.

New system, new QB, new O-Co.  Mims COULD have his "fresh start" here if he was anything other than grumpy poop.

I mean lets be real for a second:  Apart from the #1 spot (Wilson), everything behind that either has questions (Davis' health and hands, Lazard's ceiling as a ball-catcher, Cobb's age, Hardman's role as anything but depth), or is JAG level camp fodder, and Mims would, could and should have had every opportunity in camp this year, with his physical talents alone, to impress the new Offensive regime.

He's cheap, he's here, he's depth at worst.  The other guys around that #4/#5 WR position aren't exactly stars, lol.  I'd have retained him on a "last chance kid" basis in 2023.  Nothing to lose really.

Letting him lose only helps him.  Doesn't help us, especially if injury becomes a thing again this year.

/shrug, can only presume the Head Coach has no faith at all in Mims having any future in the NFL, and that's why this is happening now.

Honestly, I'm pretty meh with how WR has been handled and the positional talent going into 2023. 

Had I were GM, our WR starters would have been Wilson/Smith-Njigba/E.Moore this year (and yes, we'd still have Rodgers), which IMO is several steps talent-wise better than Wilson/Davis/Lazard.  Guess we'll see.

I think it's telling how poorly Saleh's regime has done with QB's and WR's frankly.  Lets hope that changes now.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Another point is just how much say Douglas had over that draft? Mac was still gm when the draft board was being done so unless there were some players Douglas knew about from his previous team he probably just accepted macs picks.  And, at the time, I don’t see where Mims was over drafted.

That is comical. Douglas takes a job as a General Manager then decides, “gee, I’m new, I’ll just draft the guys that the fired GM had on his list”. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The first draft was nothing to brag about (though we may still get a franchise T out of it, maybe) but.... Tell that to this guy. He had, what, eleven picks in one draft and not one of them contributed for even a year from what I remember. Idzik drafted guys no one heard of, didn't have 'measurables', or even big team names. He drafted guys who hunted boars, and guys who had 20 surgeries in college. Idzik may have actually threw darts at names on a board. JD isn't perfect but we've had far worse. In Idzik's defense he cleared up the cap mess whereas Mac did nothing other than pass time. 

Idzik's 2014 draft was still better up until this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It might make sense.  His value is low.  It isn't going to go up.  This may shake the bushes for teams later in the claim order that would be interested in throwing a 7th at us.

The trade makes sense, but I’m just speculating that the Jets wouldn’t gut their leverage with a leak like this. Mims agent might prefer to hit the open market 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Always thought this was the most bizarre reaction to being drafted but still held out hope for him. Guess this was very telling 

It’s another element of the draft process. Guys who went to college in their backyards you have to dive into how well you think they adjust to a new state and a new home and everything else it takes to prepare to play football. I think this has been an issue with Wilson too. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm no Mims fan, said he was a horrible pick when the pick was made, and he's proven me right ever since.

New system, new QB, new O-Co.  Mims COULD have his "fresh start" here if he was anything other than grumpy poop.

I mean lets be real for a second:  Apart from the #1 spot (Wilson), everything behind that either has questions (Davis' health and hands, Lazard's ceiling as a ball-catcher, Cobb's age, Hardman's role as anything but depth), or is JAG level camp fodder, and Mims would, could and should have had every opportunity in camp this year, with his physical talents alone, to impress the new Offensive regime.

He's cheap, he's here, he's depth at worst.  The other guys around that #4/#5 WR position aren't exactly stars, lol.  I'd have retained him on a "last chance kid" basis in 2023.  Nothing to lose really.

Letting him lose only helps him.  Doesn't help us, especially if injury becomes a thing again this year.

/shrug, can only presume the Head Coach has no faith at all in Mims having any future in the NFL, and that's why this is happening now.

Honestly, I'm pretty meh with how WR has been handled and the positional talent going into 2023. 

Had I were GM, our WR starters would have been Wilson/Smith-Njigba/E.Moore this year (and yes, we'd still have Rodgers), which IMO is several steps talent-wise better than Wilson/Davis/Lazard.  Guess we'll see.

I think it's telling how poorly Saleh's regime has done with QB's and WR's frankly.  Lets hope that changes now.

You had to pander to Rodgers to get him to come here.  Hackett. Lazard and Cobb were musts for him.  JSN will be the biggest regret we ever made.  Thanks Aaron!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Idzik's 2014 draft was still better up until this point. 

How so? I see Quincy buried in there who was a good player, but nothing special possibly due to injuries... MBs decent first year starting offsets Quincy's limited time on the field though in my opinion and MB (while not one of my favorites) could still become a long term starter.

image.png.3f247e4055328d8665dbfdcb7e966645.png

Awkward Miss GIF by G2 Esports

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

The trade makes sense, but I’m just speculating that the Jets wouldn’t gut their leverage with a leak like this. Mims agent might prefer to hit the open market 

I think they don't like him or his attitude and will take anything.  At that point it might make sense to leak it.  I think they are well beyond having any leverage with Mims.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I wonder why they wouldn't at least start with him in camp and wait until we see what we have ( and that we dont suffer an injury) before dumping him for nothing?  

What do they gain by releasing him this early? Another roster spot for camp?

We've seen what we have for 3 years,  The guy stinks and is worse than most of the new unknown guys coming into camp.  He can't play specials so that means there is no spot.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think that there is more than meets the eye. There must be attitude stuff that got him and Moore off the team. For better or worse they are dead set on culture is extremely important.... any disruption to that and they are booted, but booted when the Jets are ready to not the player. 

Although he played nice by not causing a scene he has asked to be traded a few times as a jet.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Best young GM according to some around here

His first draft and the Zach Wilson pick were no doubt BIG early failures.

But the guy has gotten a lot better since ... I'll leave out any accolades until we start winning.

That's what I and others see.  AVT, Carter II, DJ Reed, Sauce, Garrett, Breece, Rodgers are among the best at their respective positions.   

Many are optimistic about a year 2 jump from JJ, Clemons and Ruckert. 

So we can keep going back to those early mistakes or instead ride the wave of talent acquisition we haven't seen around these parts since a few presidents ago.     

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

How so? I see Quincy buried in there who was a good player, but nothing special possibly due to injuries... MBs decent first year starting offsets Quincy's limited time on the field though in my opinion and MB (while not one of my favorites) could still become a long term starter.

image.png.3f247e4055328d8665dbfdcb7e966645.png

Awkward Miss GIF by G2 Esports

Yup. JD sure did throw darts in his draft.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Brian Costello @BrianCoz

The Jets plan on releasing WR Denzel Mims if they can’t find a trade partner first, according to sources. Mims, a 2020 second-round pick, will get a fresh start somewhere else.

The Jets informed Mims he was being waived and excused him from reporting for camp. Teams are interested in claiming Mims so it is possible someone could make a last-minute trade for him to guarantee they get him.

makes sense. hard to have him here after underperforming so much and all the recent health of the position. 

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He’s WR6 and doesn’t play special teams. He’s a goner