Jets Camp Updates - 7/31.

Lith

1 minute ago, varjet said:

The biggest question I have with the roster is all of those young, large-bodied UDFA-types WRs we have who seem to play well, yet we are still locked into to paying Corey Davis $10mm to get hurt?

For real.  It’s not just about the cap space savings with Davis.  It’s about flooding the middle and bottom of your roster with hungry young talent wherever possible.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.  It’s not just about the cap space savings with Davis.  It’s about flooding the middle and bottom of your roster with hungry young talent wherever possible.  

If Davis hits the health lotto this year (obv a big if), I think we will all be happy to have him. God forbid Garrett missed a couple of weeks, having a vet WR like Davis will be very helpful. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Prepare 2 Takeoff said:

I’m excited for Bam, he showed a lot of potential last year but Izzy seems to have a similar skill set. This isn’t fair to say about Carter because explosion isn’t his game, he is shifty and created a ton of missed tackles his rookie season. It’ll be interesting to see what they do if they sign Cook 

Izzy doesn’t really have a similar skill set.

Bam is much more well rounded, specifically out of the backfield as a pass catcher and a pass blocker.

Maybe as a 1 cut runner but it kind of ends there.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Izzy doesn’t not really have a similar skill set.

Bam is much more well rounded, specifically out of the backfield as a pass catcher and a pass blocker.

Maybe as a 1 cut runner but it kind of ends there.  

I think Izzy is a lot more explosive than Bam or Carter.

TBH I’m not sure Carter even makes the team, especially if we sign Cook.

3 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

If Davis hits the health lotto this year (obv a big if), I think we will all be happy to have him. God forbid Garrett missed a couple of weeks, having a vet WR like Davis will be very helpful. 

Yeah I would stick with Davis at this point. Veteran, plays well when he is on the field. I mean if they signed Randall Cobb for Aaron he will love playing with Davis.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would stick with Davis at this point. Veteran, plays well when he is on the field. I mean if they signed Randall Cobb for Aaron he will love playing with Davis.

I'd say if they could manage it, try to get Davis to agree to convert about half of his salary into game day bonuses.  If he plays the year then he gets every last cent, and I'm sure everyone will be very happy with that.  If not then at least they're hedging their bets a bit.  The truth is GW is great but after that the WR corps is far more hype than substance so far, and Davis is easily the second best when healthy.

Lazard has been ok, but a bit of a disappointment in the payoff from all of his chances as a starter and we know exactly what he gets playing with Rodgers. Hardman similarly could never put it together with Mahomes throwing him the ball.  Neither of these guys are coming from tough situations, so little reason to expect any dramatic change.  Cobb is a shell of his former self who should be the first vet to go if someone else earns a spot.  From there, as much as we all love the training camp hype of the young guys breaking out, and I'm certainly rooting for at least one to earn a spot, we also know the odds of any being major contributors this season are not particularly high, so something that would be way too early to bank on now.

It's for all those reasons the Jets have little motivation to have Davis go anywhere, with of course health still being the primary concern.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd say if they could manage it, try to get Davis to agree to convert about half of his salary into game day bonuses.  If he plays the year then he gets every last cent, and I'm sure everyone will be very happy with that.  If not then at least they're hedging their bets a bit.  The truth is GW is great but after that the WR corps is far more hype than substance so far, and Davis is easily the second best when healthy.

Lazard has been ok, but a bit of a disappointment in the payoff from all of his chances as a starter and we know exactly what he gets playing with Rodgers. Hardman similarly could never put it together with Mahomes throwing him the ball.  Neither of these guys are coming from tough situations, so little reason to expect any dramatic change.  Cobb is a shell of his former self who should be the first vet to go if someone else earns a spot.  From there, as much as we all love the training camp hype of the young guys breaking out, and I'm certainly rooting for at least one to earn a spot, we also know the odds of any being major contributors this season are not particularly high, so something that would be way too early to bank on now.

It's for all those reasons the Jets have little motivation to have Davis go anywhere, with of course health still being the primary concern.

Passing on JSN will go down as the biggest mistake in the Joe D era.  A complete layup and he blew it.  Chose to pander to rodgers and bring cobb in.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 2

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Passing on JSN will go down as the biggest mistake in the Joe D era.  A complete layup and he blew it.  Chose to pander to rodgers and bring cobb in.

I don’t know if you follow the team closely, but it was revealed who the director of college scouting had as his top 3 when the Jets were on the clock. JSN was not one of those guys. McDonald is the truth. 

• Upvote 1