Rodgers wants to play for 3-4 more years.

doitny

just heard the clip on the Bart and Hahn show. he was asked if he thinks about the next time he is in Canton will be for his HOF ceremony. he said he plans to play for 3 or 4 more years and then its 5 years after that so it could be 9 years the next time he is in canton. thats a long time.

cant find the clip online but i heard him say it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

just heard the clip on the Bart and Hahn show. he was asked if he thinks about the next time he is in Canton will be for his HOF ceremony. he said he plans to play for 3 or 4 more years and then its 5 years after that so it could be 9 years the next time he is in canton. thats a long time.

But this doesn’t fit the narratives of 1 and done I read right after the trade.

Are you sure?

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, PS17 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it. Brady warped people’s minds about what a post-40 athlete looks like in American sports. I’d be surprised if we see more than two years from Rodgers. 

Sure but he's not the only QB who played into his early 40s. He's not even the only one in recent history. Brees was 42 when he retired and probably had another year or two in the tank if he didn't suffer injuries the two years prior. 

IMO the big question is whether Rodgers can avoid injuries for several years. As he gets a little slower on the field he's going to need to be more of a pocket passer and less of that off-platform throwing to carry drives. So can this OL keep him upright for several years? That's a huge unknown right now. 

• Upvote 1

I heard "a few" years today when he was asked about his new contract.  He said it wasnt much of a contract negotiation.  He said he didnt want to encumber the jets organization if he was done after a few years. was referring to voidable years and cap constraints and such.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 8/1/2023 at 4:17 PM, hawk said:

This just in....

As speculation mounts to Aaron Rodgers breaking recent passing records, Tom Brady seen talking to Tonya Harding.

More at 11.

He’s 30k away on passing yards which is insurmountable IMO. 175 TD shy is in play if he can make it 5 more years in a good offensive system. 

He has half the amount of INT than Brady , 105 to 212 with 105 less games played. Rodgers is the All-Time QBR leader by 3+ points 103.6 vs. 100.2 (Russel Wilson)

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, doitny said:

I believe because I want to, thank you !

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets really couldn’t have landed a better veteran QB. Rodgers has been flawless since the second it came out he was pushing his way to NY

It's sort of like the combine for the preseason. Lots of players look great in shells and the occasional padded practice, but  what happens at game  speed? What happens when nearly 40 year old Rodgers starts getting hit. 40 year old bodies just do not recover like 25 year old bodies. Rodgers clearly declined last year. He was still excellent, but we simply do not know if he that was a sign of things to come or if he will bounce back. 

QBs over 38 tend to just fall off the map. And sometimes even before then

Matt Ryan  went from Top 10  QB in the league in 2020, to good but clearly declining  in  2021, to pretty bad in 2022 to out of the league.

There is nothing to guarantee that Rodgers in 2023 will even be as good as the 2022 version. Maybe he is and that will be great but history would suggest he will continue to decline regardless of how great he looks in camp

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

He’s 30k away on passing yards which is insurmountable IMO. 175 TD shy is in play if he can make it 5 more years in a good offensive system. 

He has half the amount of INT than Brady , 105 to 212 with 105 less games played. Rodgers is the All-Time QBR leader by 8 points 103.6 vs. 100.2 (Russel Wilson.

Brady's overall yardage record will be a tough beat. 

90,000 yards.  Unfortunately, this is more of a longevity accomplishment than anything, and won't be broke anytime soon.  Certainly not by Rodgers.

Still with 333 career starts that is roughly 270 yards per game.

Manning 72,000 in 265 starts or 271 yards per game.

Brees 80,000 in 286 starts or 279 per game.

Mahommes 24,000 80 starts or 300 per game.

I wouldn't say Mahommes has been protected like Brady was, so he probably wont last till his early 40s, but extrapolate that out he will be over 100,000, so he has the possibility if he continues to play.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, doitny said:

It was in his presser today on the podium.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Florio speculated that based on the contract its a 2 year deal with a mutual 35m dollar option for year 3 (and a bunch of void years at the end).

He also said that he thinks the jets may have made a deal with Rodgers to pay him the 35m year 3 option even if he retires (or before he retires, and not ask for it back), which would account for the 35m dollars he gave away. Conspiracy theory stuff.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Florio speculated that based on the contract its a 2 year deal with a mutual 35m dollar option for year 3 (and a bunch of void years at the end).

He also said that he thinks the jets may have made a deal with Rodgers to pay him the 35m year 3 option even if he retires (or before he retires, and not ask for it back), which would account for the 35m dollars he gave away. Conspiracy theory stuff.

The option you talking about is not included in the 75 mil reported contract? So the last year is actually his 35 he gave back? Hmm doesn't seem to add up. I would think people would be talking about this