Bucs' Tristan Wirfs seeing psychologist over move to left tackle

Bronx

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Still crazy that Gase was able to get more out of both Becton and Mims as rookies than Saleh has since. Both players are creampuffs who need hard coaching, and they both shut it down the second Saleh walked in with that new-age rah-rah sh*t, and watching the org tolerate Becton’s nonsense while doing the bare minimum to protect themselves against Becton’s inevitable flameouts has been frustrating. In two weeks time they’re going to be wishing they threw a contract at George Fant.

“Hard” coaching got Mims all of 230 yards and 9 games on the field?  And new-age rah-rah shlt is the reason he dropped all the back to under 200 yards? . 😂 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Wirfs was the call there. Lamb would’ve Elijah Moore’d himself off the team with our QBs

Some WRs are so good their talent shines through though.  SEE:  Garrett Wilson.

Then again if we had taken Lamb we probably don’t have Wilson.  And I like Wilson more than Lamb.

So yeah, Wirfs was the call.  

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Asking a 24 year old kid to learn how to kick step with left leg instead of his right is something nobody should have to go through. I can't imagine the pain he's going through.

My thoughts and prayers are with Triston and his family through these trying times.

Funny, but minimizing the struggles of others as, essentially, a “first world problem” and comparing it to bigger problems others deal with is always a bit of a non-starter for me.  There’s a lot of pressure to succeed in this country and thus a lot of mental health sh*t people deal with as a result.  

Anything that gets people to focus on mental health and get help when needed is good for society as a whole.  It doesn’t require things like bereavement, abuse, addictions, marital problems or disorders for someone to need it.  We pretty much ALL need it on some level whether we admit it or not. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some WRs are so good their talent shines through though.  SEE:  Garrett Wilson.

Then again if we had taken Lamb we probably don’t have Wilson.  And I like Wilson more than Lamb.

So yeah, Wirfs was the call.  

Wilson was visibly annoyed last year at Zach. Another year of that?

Cavaliers guard Rick Rubio taking break from basketball to focus on mental health

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Ricky Rubio is pausing his professional basketball career to focus on his mental health, he announced Saturday. Here’s what you need to know:

“I have decided to stop my professional activity to take care of my mental health,” Rubio said in a statement via the Spanish Basketball Federation. “Today #Family makes more sense than ever … I ask to respect my privacy to be able to face these moments and to be able to give more information when the time is right.”

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny, but minimizing the struggles of others as, essentially, a “first world problem” is always a bit of a non-starter for me.  There’s a lot of pressure to succeed in this country and thus a lot of mental health sh*t people deal with as a result.  

Anything that gets people to focus on mental health and get help when needed is good for society as a whole.  

Yeah otherwise it becomes a competition of grievances and only those in the worst situation have the moral authority to gripe.

”You’re complaining that your dad died? Well my dad died at 50 I’d kill for him to have lived to 70!” Etc.

The only thing I find more annoying than one-upmanship is one-downmanship.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there are certain RTs who just can't go to LT 

Lane Johnson for example is a borderline HOF player at RT, runs a 4.8 40, and can't play LT worth a lick

Wirfs might be one of those dudes 

Ironically Lane Johnson has also been open about his struggle with performance anxiety. 

On game days, Johnson says, he used to find himself throwing up or "dry heaving" to deal with the pressure. Making even a single mistake amidst an otherwise perfect game could draw intense scrutiny.

"[My job feels like] you are jumping out of an airplane, and you don't know if you have a parachute on or not," Johnson tells CNBC Make It.

For years, Johnson managed his anxiety with medication and therapy, he says. The medication became a problem: In October 2021, he took a leave of absence from the Eagles, missing three games to address his mental health while weaning himself off antidepressants.

At the time, "getting through a day was a lot," he says, adding that the "monster"inside of him kept building, especially after suffering an ankle injury earlier that year.

Having some leveL of self doubt is very common, regardless of your profession. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It would've been bad for a lot of people, and statistically not one of us would be alive today.

Both my wife and I are entirely descend from people who arrived in this Country well after the Civil War. Which means it's statistically possible that the 2 of us would still have existed....but probably in Ireland and Turkiye. 

Tough luck for my boys, though. 

Interesting about wirfs. Recently he was on some list of players teams could really use if they were just starting out.  But this also underscores how much of a head game these players need to go through. Maybe it is that difficult to move from right to left tackle.  There’s a reason why brown wants to stay left. Same thing with Tomlinson.  I’d say it’s the same reason why becton wants to be left but I don’t see that he’s had enough experience at either side .  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Still crazy that Gase was able to get more out of both Becton and Mims as rookies than Saleh has since. Both players are creampuffs who need hard coaching, and they both shut it down the second Saleh walked in with that new-age rah-rah sh*t, and watching the org tolerate Becton’s nonsense while doing the bare minimum to protect themselves against Becton’s inevitable flameouts has been frustrating. In two weeks time they’re going to be wishing they threw a contract at George Fant.

Both of those guys were year-one Joe Douglas picks - shooting for high RAS scores and ignoring work ethic/reliability.

JD has either been lucky or seemingly learned about the value of that second part.

As for Saleh and his staff, they obviously fall on the supportive/player-friendly side of the spectrum. I won't argue with that. But it does appear they're quick to bench, trade, and disappear low-effort players, malcontents and on-field liabilities. 

Saleh has benched Zach, is making Becky earn a tackle spot, and is starting UDFA Tony Adams.

It looks to be pretty a clear message - be professional and produce, no matter your draft pedigree. 

The tricky part with Mekhi is - he's never going to be professional, but like, on rare occasions when he is healthy enough to play? He actually is a good tackle.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Both of those guys were year-one Joe Douglas picks - shooting for high RAS scores and ignoring work ethic/reliability.

JD has either been lucky or seemingly learned about the value of that second part.

As for Saleh and his staff, they obviously fall on the supportive/player-friendly side of the spectrum. I won't argue with that. But it does appear they're quick to bench, trade, and disappear low-effort players, malcontents and on-field liabilities. 

Saleh has benched Zach, is making Becky earn a tackle spot, and is starting UDFA Tony Adams.

It looks to be pretty a clear message - be professional and produce, no matter your draft pedigree. 

The tricky part with Mekhi is - he's never going to be professional, but like, on rare occasions when he is healthy enough to play? He actually is a good tackle.

100%. I think Saleh has gotten a little tougher, especially this year. Reminds me a bit of the Pete Carroll evolution. I think the organization is better synced up in finding the self-starters that Saleh wants, and avoiding the dudes who need the iron hand who fall through the cracks in this program.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Both my wife and I are entirely descend from people who arrived in this Country well after the Civil War. Which means it's statistically possible that the 2 of us would still have existed....but probably in Ireland and Turkiye. 

Tough luck for my boys, though. 

Same here, but if you weren't born there yourselves, the odds are impossibly small to the point of extreme unlikeliness. Maybe if Ireland was Antarctica, totally isolated from the rest of the planet for those ~100 years following the civil war, and you & your wife were both born there. Otherwise, with all the ways world events affect others, through two world wars and more after that, you bet the same sperm and same egg at the same time from each generation of fathers/mothers on both sides of your families? Admittedly there's no way of knowing for sure, but I bet you're not here either. The buttersperm effect. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Same here, but if you weren't born there yourselves, the odds are impossibly small to the point of extreme unlikeliness. Maybe if Ireland was Antarctica, totally isolated from the rest of the planet for those ~100 years following the civil war, and you & your wife were both born there. Otherwise, with all the ways world events affect others, through two world wars and more after that, you bet the same sperm and same egg at the same time from each generation of fathers/mothers on both sides of your families? Admittedly there's no way of knowing for sure, but I bet you're not here either. The buttersperm effect. 

If our parents banged 1 second earlier or later many of us would not be here.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

If our parents banged 1 second earlier or later many of us would not be here.

As the above's poster's name seems to be acknowledging.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Awkward Lucille Ball GIF

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:42 AM, Zachtomims47 said:

Sounds like typical anxiety. Pretty annoying. I feel ya Wirfs. 

He went from being Tom Brady’s right tackle only having to pass protect for 2 seconds to protecting Baker Mayfield’s blindside while he holds the ball forever before throwing a pick.  I’d go see a psychiatrist too.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Becton just needs to stay on the field.  He’s a damn good player when he’s actually playing 

22 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah otherwise it becomes a competition of grievances and only those in the worst situation have the moral authority to gripe.

”You’re complaining that your dad died? Well my dad died at 50 I’d kill for him to have lived to 70!” Etc.

The only thing I find more annoying than one-upmanship is one-downmanship.

Ooooooh if only we still had that downvote option……was fixing for a major pun!

• Haha 1

Yes having mental health needs addressed is very important in this pressure cooker of American society.

Finding the right clinician is tricky.

Too many Paltrows out there who sell you all their new age bullspit and when it doesnt work its your fault and it actually leaves you sicker.

May have been mentioned already but I see that Simone Biles is back after a 2 year hiatus adressing her MH and is ready to compete again. That woman is nothing short of amazing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

He played in 14 games as a rookie. There was more than one game where he was healthy.

Ok, to be clear.

It was said Gase got more out of him then the current staff.

Since the coaching change, Becton has been healthy for about 1/2 if 1 game.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:21 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Don’t really care about the psychology part, but wtf are the Bucs doing changing a back to back All Pro’s position? Why not just bring someone else in at RT? 

RT?  They'd need to bring in a new LT.  And those aren't easy to find.

When you draft an OT in the first half of the 1st round you generally do so with the hope he can be a LT.  I dunno exactly why they cut Donovan Smith but clearly they were hoping Wirfs was ready to jump into the LT job with Smith's departure.