The Jets cuts and notable cuts thread

Larz

48 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Well, you are not wrong. JD is way overrated on this board. If it all works out and they win a lot of games and get to the playoffs, all will be forgiven. If it's a failure; he's done. He has had some great picks and some absolutely god awful high round picks.

Can’t see JD getting fired even if they miss the playoffs. Saleh on the other hand…. 

• Sympathy 1
  • En Fuego 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Firing Saleh and keeping JD would be even dumber than firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan, which is saying a lot.

How so? On paper JD has put a good team together. He has done his job  

It’s up to saleh to make it work. Everyone is expecting playoffs. If we fall short it will be salehs head on a platter.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • En Fuego 1

18 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Top to bottom,  this is the best roster the Jets have ever had. I guess it's an accident.

That's certainly the hope, but very premature.  The truth is, as of today, CB is the only unit on the team that could possibly be argued today as in contention for the best the Jets have ever had.  Most of the other units on this team are highly dependent on unproven potential and/or career turnarounds.

In truth, the one thing everyone is counting on to change the rest of the team is Rodgers, which is exactly where we need this current remake of the Jets 2008 season to start looking significantly different from the original.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's certainly the hope, but very premature.  The truth is, as of today, CB is the only unit on the team that could possibly be argued today as in contention for the best the Jets have ever had.  Most of the other units on this team are highly dependent on unproven potential and/or career turnarounds.

In truth, the one thing everyone is counting on to change the rest of the team is Rodgers, which is exactly where we need this current remake of the Jets 2008 season to start looking significantly different from the original.

First top to bottom implies the roster as a whole - not picking one unit against another year's same unit.

While I agree that we have had some good rosters in the pas - there is no questions that the CBs, DLs, and start QB are the best we have seen for quite a while. Sure the NY Sack Exchange was damn good, but what did that teams DBs and QB look like. Either way, can we just enjoy the euphoria until at least the first game?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

It’s up to saleh to make it work. Everyone is expecting playoffs. If we fall short it will be salehs head on a platter.  

It isn't though.  JD's first 3 years on the job were an unmitigated disaster, it's just that so many around here fell in love for him from day one they have refused to admit it and made nothing but excuses.  At this point he's gotten to hang his hat on 2 picks in last year's top 10 and little else in the draft beyond that.  MC2 is literally the only player outside of top picks who has yet contributed anything on the field.

JD's praying that Rodgers is going to cover up his laundry list of past failures.  If it happens then the gamble will have paid off and he'll certainly stick around, no argument there.  However, if the move doesn't pay off, JD is the very first one who needs to pay the price, not still making excuses after 5 years failing at the job and blaming others for not making chicken salad out of the chicken sh*t he's continually been feeding everyone so far.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

First top to bottom implies the roster as a whole - not picking one unit against another year's same unit.

While I agree that we have had some good rosters in the pas - there is no questions that the CBs, DLs, and start QB are the best we have seen for quite a while. Sure the NY Sack Exchange was damn good, but what did that teams DBs and QB look like. Either way, can we just enjoy the euphoria until at least the first game?

100% totally fair on the bold, but I'll freely admit I cannot help myself when seeing any prepping of excuses or scapegoat of choice if things go south.

In the end QB is really the big one of this all.  Rodgers's history undoubtedly says he can easily be the Jets best QB by an insanely wide margin, but whether that comes to fruition is the big question.

Perhaps this team has just burned me a few thousand too many times for me to give them any benefit of the doubt anymore lol.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

This duo isn't going anywhere...this is really the first year under Douglas and Saleh as well that resembles a solid football team...the rosters prior were nothing more than glorified practice squads.  Anyway, in order for this team to get into the playoffs, they must be cohesive in all three phases (that can take a few games to jell) and more importantly, injuries to a minimum.  Some of you guys forget the other teams that wanted Saleh to coach their team...this is truly is his first year with what looks like a solid roster.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

People talk about the strangest things. If the Jets implode Saleh could be fair game conceivably. But even if the Jets implode Douglas isn't going anywhere.

The truth of the matter is, neither is going anywhere. This team is solid and has depth at most positions.

Fandom is a strange thing these days.

Douglas hired Saleh and has his hands on all of the past 4 years and this 5th to come, including having to rebuild his own rebuild.  Don't get me wrong, as long as things don't go south, I'm totally fine with them both keeping their jobs, but there is absolutely no circumstances that would justify Douglas getting himself another head coach hire unless we're talking many years from now following a string of success.

The fan hype has been nowhere close to reality with JD throughout his time on the job.  Having 2 top 10 picks last year is could very well be the thing that saved his job from already possibly being lost, but he still needs to keep things up at a faster pace to make up for his own many past flubs.

• Thumb Down 1
  • En Fuego 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It isn't though.  JD's first 3 years on the job were an unmitigated disaster, it's just that so many around here fell in love for him from day one they have refused to admit it and made nothing but excuses.  At this point he's gotten to hang his hat on 2 picks in last year's top 10 and little else in the draft beyond that.  MC2 is literally the only player outside of top picks who has yet contributed anything on the field.

JD's praying that Rodgers is going to cover up his laundry list of past failures.  If it happens then the gamble will have paid off and he'll certainly stick around, no argument there.  However, if the move doesn't pay off, JD is the very first one who needs to pay the price, not still making excuses after 5 years failing at the job and blaming others for not making chicken salad out of the chicken sh*t he's continually been feeding everyone so far.

I think jds first draft was horrible. I think he’s been getting better every year since. His 2nd draft was not great either but still produced a good cb in Michael Carter and AVT who is probably our best lineman. Last years draft was epic, maybe our best draft in franchise history.  He has also made some smart FA signings and trades throughout the years. 

I think our roster is in pretty good shape. That’s all thanks to JD. Not saying we don’t have some flaws. But the team he inherited was a complete dumpster fire.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I think jds first draft was horrible. I think he’s been getting better every year since. His 2nd draft was not great either but still produced a good cb in Michael Carter and AVT who is probably our best lineman. Last years draft was epic, maybe our best draft in franchise history.  He has also made some smart FA signings and trades throughout the years. 

I think our roster is in pretty good shape. That’s all thanks to JD. Not saying we don’t have some flaws. But the team he inherited was a complete dumpster fire.

All totally fair points, and this year's is definitely the best the team since JD's been here, there's no doubt about that.  But there's just a lot of advance excuse-making by some for who else should have predetermined fault if things go wrong, excluding the guy with the top (football-focused) job who has been here the longest.  It's 100% confirmation bias for JD being looked for there.

To be clear, I don't even think this year is going to go bad short of the injury bug getting them too hard (as I think everyone would agree, depth is a concern at numerous positions).  There's also more than a few positions dependent on young, unproven guys or some coming back from injury, so the returns may not be as immediate as we'd all hope.  However, once the games start I will admittedly be blindly rooting for this team despite it all, and that includes everyone across all sides of the team, be it front office, coaches, or even down to whichever player happens to do the most stupid crap on the field this year.

Here's hoping none of us will have any reason whatsoever to even wonder where it went wrong.

2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Can’t see JD getting fired even if they miss the playoffs.

"Miss the playoffs" is a bit broad.  11-6 and miss, yeah, I get ya.  6-11, not so much.

Keep in mind, JD will be a lame duck in 2024.  Owners very rarely let a GM operate as a lame duck.

So it's not really a question of fire/status quo.

It's multi-year extension vs. firing.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The disease is now going after douglas and saleh.  This board is at a truly horrific point.  Id start closing threads and banning people.  We are on the cusp of greatest and the disease has infected this board.  It is awful.

This type of repetitive over-the-top persona-schtick wasn't good when SAR I did it, and you sir, are no SAR I.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Because there are absolutely glaring holes in this roster and that IS 100% on JD. 

I'm not defending Saleh. He hasn't accomplished anything as far as I'm concerned. But if this team falls flat, the potential reasons for it happening DO matter and there are some scenarios that would absolutely be on JD and he would have to answer for himself 

• Thumb Down 2
  • En Fuego 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Boy I don't know. 5-12 and things could go sour. And with out schedule that is possible.

If we go 5-12 there will be a reason for it, such as injuries and they will be of the hook.  Even with the sched this is at least a .500 team worse case.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The disease is now going after douglas and saleh.  This board is at a truly horrific point.  Id start closing threads and banning people.  We are on the cusp of greatest and the disease has infected this board.  It is awful.

@JiF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If we go 5-12 there will be a reason for it, such as injuries and they will be of the hook.  Even with the sched this is at least a .500 team worse case.

Not saying it WILL happen but we could play well our first 10 games and go 2-8. It's just insanely brutal. If we start losing it can all spiral out of control.  But the remaining 7 should all be winnable. If we can be 6-4 after 10 we might get the #1 seed. If we are 2-9 players may just bail and we finish 5-12

Schedule-Release-16x9

• Thumb Down 2

22 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Not saying it WILL happen but we could play well our first 10 games and go 2-8. It's just insanely brutal. If we start losing it can all spiral out of control.  But the remaining 7 should all be winnable. If we can be 6-4 after 10 we might get the #1 seed. If we are 2-9 players may just bail and we finish 5-12

Schedule-Release-16x9

And what would happen if we are 8-2?