Has the Jets organization ever looked more lost than it does now?

I am trying to think of a situation where the Jets leadership decision making has ever looked as convoluted as it does now. You played Zach for most of the season and most of the season he couldn't score a TD so you go to Boyle who looks bad and then Siemian who doesn't  look much better, unceremoniously cut Boyle, and then you go back to Zach. Right now the Giants look like freaking geniuses  compared to how they handled the QB. Devito literally couldn't  pass the ball when the Giants started with him but they stuck with him and now he looks like a solution  as a backup. We on the other hand have an entire QB room that will be released at seasons end and the one that is staying caused this entire mess with all his friends getting  contracts and sticking us with Hackett who actually should be fired for installing a historically  bad O yet he will be back next season. I mean when has this team looked worse? Not even that clown Rex looked this bad. 

• Post of the Week 1

I think between 2012 when we hire Sparano (RIP) as OC and then eventually firing Tanny but keeping Rex --> Idzik/Rex/Sanchez/Geno situation for 2 years. I think that was when we looked completely lost without hope.

There is at least a spark of hope with Rodgers returning (hopefully) healthy and a good defense.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

Looks are deceiving.  Nobody knows what’s going on behind closed doors at the jets. I’m sure there are plenty of un named sources on just about every team.  I seriously doubt if the reporters are held to a very high standard when it comes to reporting.

This happened. Just connect the dots. Zach said what was reported. 

• Upvote 1

I think in Gase's final year it felt far more hopeless.  We had Flacco handing off to Frank Gore.  Right now, we have a terrific defense and ST.  On offense, we have 2 cornerstone skill position players in GW and Breece.

But even if this situation is more hopeless, don't they say that the darkest hour is right before the dawn?

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I am trying to think of a situation where the Jets leadership decision making has ever looked as convoluted as it does now. You played Zach for most of the season and most of the season he couldn't score a TD so you go to Boyle who looks bad and then Siemian who doesn't  look much better, unceremoniously cut Boyle, and then you go back to Zach. Right now the Giants look like freaking geniuses  compared to how they handled the QB. Devito literally couldn't  pass the ball when the Giants started with him but they stuck with him and now he looks like a solution  as a backup. We on the other hand have an entire QB room that will be released at seasons end and the one that is staying caused this entire mess with all his friends getting  contracts and sticking us with Hackett who actually should be fired for installing a historically  bad O yet he will be back next season. I mean when has this team looked worse? Not even that clown Rex looked this bad. 

The perpetually lost franchise hiding in the bosom of the never ending rebuild, 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m not sure if I would even consider right now a top 5 clueless moment.

The difference is the reporting and social media aspect.  We were waaay more clueless under Kotite, however the news was different then.  There were highlight shows and pregame shows that reported highlights and actual news about the team.  Now it’s different.  Every moron with a twitter reports news, doesn’t need to be accurate but just needs to be first.  Everything is laced with snark.

Everything is about pushing a narrative or hot takes, and the “lol jets” narrative is easy to push bc people go for it….many of which are our own fans who dive head first into the “TMZ OMG FIRE EVERYONE WE’RE A CLOWN SHOW”.  Loudmouth super fans like Joe B don’t help.

I miss the days of Nfl Primetime with Berman and Tom Jackson.

• Upvote 2

I mean, yes, the backup QB position has been monumentally flubbed by JD which is why you are seeing the back and forth at QB. Poorly handled by Saleh, but I don't blame him, he is trying to win and has been handed s**t. 

Everything else is part of the same plan the Jets have had all along - bring in Rodgers and build around him to make him happy and maximize his skill set. 

And they will continue with that plan next year when Rodgers comes back from injury, staying the course. The way you are phrasing it seems like this regime has abandoned ship and is now in utter turmoil as far as what to do next. Far from it. Despite the anger from fans, this season is a mulligan to Jet Brass. They are sticking to the plan and running it back next year. Hopefully with some lessons learned.  

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  agree. They at least had White last season. 

I am looking at it from a whole. Not just the QB.

Between the Tebow error, To Good ol Johnny Idzik, to Gase. Mo Wilk getting paid and fat, 

From the day Woody walked in here it has basically been one disaster after another. 

44 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

image.png.38c5da186ca52af3d5844ce8511eb8c4.png

THE JETS: WE'VE HIT ROCK BOTTOM

ALSO THE JETS: HOLD MY BEER

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I am trying to think of a situation where the Jets leadership decision making has ever looked as convoluted as it does now. 

I agree.  With Kotite & Gase the organization and the fans knew these were mistake hires and that changes were imminent half way through their second seasons.  In my opinion, Saleh is right up there with these two in terms ineptitude when it comes to being a HC.  By giving him a pass this year we are delaying the inevitable.  Yes, with a healthy Rodgers next year we will be competitive and perhaps above mediocrity.  When he decides to hang it up, we will undoubtedly be experiencing seasons such as this one......................and last year..........................and the year before that........which consists of an undisciplined team whose defense gives them a better chance of scoring than the offense and are prone to getting blown-out a handful of times.

This whole Beningo thing is so unprofessional that it alone warrants action.

Easily yes. I think it's easy and rightfully so to react to how bad this year has been. But there's a huge light for next year.

For starters we will have a QB that's elite that will be healthy and motivated. That alone we haven't had in decades.

We have an OL that has a couple nice pieces in Tippman and AVT. And we liekly will be drafting a starting OT in the top 10 to start at either LT or RT. Maybe we can keep Becton for a reasonable price since he's had injury issues. There's also optimism for me in Carter warren who has looked good in a couple games at OT when he was raw. If nothing else he's good depth at OT. Go get some depth on the OL and we are pretty good there when healthy.

The defense is still very good. All we need actually is a run stuffing DT really. Probably go get 2 of them. And they can be had for cheap bc they don't have flashy stats and can be had later in drafts.

Now what we do need player wise is at least 2 WRs. I think we make a splash here with either trading for Adams or signing one of Evans or Higgins. Making that an elite group if any of those happen. We need to use a mid late rounder on a guy as well.

We need another RB. No clue why... but we just aren't playing Izzy. My guess is he's isn't grasping blocking and isn't showing he's great at catching the ball either. Maybe another offseason helps bc he has a ton of talent. But either way we need a 3rd RB brought in. Also something we can get in mid late rounds.

TE I think we just need to make Ruckert the starter. Let Conklin take a back seat to him and Uzo can kick rocks. Kuntz will still be too raw likely. So maybe bring in a vet guy for depth in FA.

This big difference will be to add a good starting backup QB. As well as drafting a guy in those mid rounds to develop. The list of vet backups that can keep us in it if Rodgers were to get injured again is long (Tannehill, Mariota, Brissett, Taylor, Darnold, Winston, Minshew, Bridgewater, Browning, etc). HAVE TO add one of them.

The front office failed miserably this year in the QB room, with the Lazzard signing, with the Cobb signing, with the Cook signing, with the inability actually gain depth on the O line and of course with the inability to improve this team at the deadline when were still in the thick of things.

The coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball has failed to get ANYTHING from this team even with Breece and Garret healthy. Inexcusable. 

In any other world, everyone is gone in 23 and you hit reset. You prob could attract a good candidate with this young core and roster and a high draft pick. 

But we are in Rodgers world, who is calling all the shots. 

So yes, the 23 Jets will be one we look back at with chills down our spines with how much dysfunction there has been. 

Lots of candidates;

Gastineau's needless RTP penalty in Cleveland costing the Jets and AFC title game shot. 

Leon Johnson's INT in Detroit, ending their shot at a wildacrd slot. 

Vinny Testaverde's exploding Achilles on opening day (when has that ever happened before or since?). 

Groh; Losing to the Ravens on Christmas Eve after having the lead most of the game, and losing a playoff berth in the process. 

The day Pennington came back to the Meadowlands to beat the Mangini's  Jets with a lame Favre..

The Victor Cruz game loss with a playoff berth on the line. 

The year end win in Miami when they decided to hold off on firing Rex Ryan for another season, jumping around in the locker room like they had won the lottery. 

FitzMagic throwing to Bills rather than Jets all game again with a shot at a playoff berth disappearing.

Has the Jets organization ever looked more lost than it does now?

Yes, several times, recently when Gase was here the franchise looked equally lost the entire time, even if the W/L record was a bit better.

We have several big, but not unfixable, problems:

• 1. Head Coach is full of hot air, has no role in the offence, and is leaking things to the media.
  • 2. The O-Co is one of the worst in the NFL.
  • 3. Our QB play has been attrocious.
  • 4. Our O-line is extremely fragile and extremely thin.

That's the list.  Bad, but not impossible to address.

• For 1., we could fire Saleh and hire an experienced, Offensive-minded, QB-relating/teaching new Head Coach.
  • For 2., same as 1., a goof Offensive Head Coach, with his hand-picked O-Co, likely addresses this issue.
  • For 3., short-term is Rodgers.  Longer term is a new QB we need to draft, and to draft 1x QB every year till we find both a new #1 for post-Rodgers AND a legit competitive #2.
  • For 4., health-wise, I have no idea, change the field turn would be a nice start.  But talent-wise we're not far away, we need 1-2 guys and our line, IF HEALTHY, should be pretty damn good.  You just have to keep drafting them, and hope we get guys who live up to their talent and can stay healthy.

WR is a need too, but thats far easier to address, use our 3rd this year on a WR and I think we're fine.  Maybe add a FA slot guy too.

Seems like alot, but it's not horrid really.  Not some unclimbable mountain..

But JD isn't going to do most of it.  That's the problem.  

• Upvote 1