How did Jets top Four Picks Look vs Commanders?

JetNation

I hope Warren works out, but highlighting good work against Wash. DEs is like lauding Zach for the way he destroyed Provo Culinary Institute his junior year.
Also worth remembering how high everyone was on Mitchell last year.

Does make me wonder how much our scheme and coaching this year has affected OL performance.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Im still trying to figure out their plan for McDonald.  Guy is light in the ass and is supposed to be an up and comer pass rush guy.  So why do i constantly see them putting him in on first downs when he isnt big enough to hold the edge on running plays?   

Next Aaron Maybin. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

This was not a terrible draft. 

I thought that Drafting 101 in 2023 basically weighted athletic ability, playing ability and ability to play now.  A first round draft pick should meet all of those qualities.  To the extent players lack in one of those qualities, they get picked later.  That is why there are so many good players picked in the second round who either needed development or may have lacked measureables-they were just good football players. 

Will McDonald was overdrafted, and not taking an OL there means we need to find 2 this year.  We could have traded down a bit, from any type of conpensation, and ended up with Anton Harrison instead.  

• Upvote 3

As far as McDonald, he is 6'4 240 right now (same size that Leonard Floyd has played at his entire career) and absolutely has the frame to add 10 pounds which is essentially what Jermaine Johnson gained this offseason and why Saleh used him as a comp.  I think McDonald's elite athleticism will allow him to thrive as an every down player at 250 going forward.  I sincerely hope he gets 25+ snaps in the next 2 games.

Its very encouraging that Warren had a good game (regardless of the talent at DE on Washington).   There is not reason he wont start the next 2 games and that experience should give the staff a good indication if he can be the opening day starter at RT.

They also need to get Ashytn Davis reps over whitehead and Sherwood or Surratt over Mosley over the next 2 games.

As for the coaching staff in general I cant even find enough adjectives to use to indicate how bad they are at evaluating their own roster and seeing the big picture when it comes to managing younger players.

1.  Cook over Izzy:  Just inexplicable that Cook continued to play after week 9.  Izzy should be the starter the next 2 games - no reason to waste a single carry of wear and tear on Breece.

2. CJ over Ruckert:  Another veteran who showed nothing on the field whatsoever and prevented a younger, better player from helping the offense and gaining important experience.

3. Cobb over Brownlee/Gibson: Cobb was here for Rogers and to help the younger players adjust to Rogers cadence, hand signals etc.  Why he ever played a snap after week 9 is beyond my understanding.

4. The revolving door at RG:  Signing guys, starting them, then demoting them and starting someone else.  Really senseless roster managemet.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

20 minutes ago, BCJet said:

As far as McDonald, he is 6'4 240 right now (same size that Leonard Floyd has played at his entire career) and absolutely has the frame to add 10 pounds which is essentially what Jermaine Johnson gained this offseason and why Saleh used him as a comp.  I think McDonald's elite athleticism will allow him to thrive as an every down player at 250 going forward.  I sincerely hope he gets 25+ snaps in the next 2 games.

Its very encouraging that Warren had a good game (regardless of the talent at DE on Washington).   There is not reason he wont start the next 2 games and that experience should give the staff a good indication if he can be the opening day starter at RT.

They also need to get Ashytn Davis reps over whitehead and Sherwood or Surratt over Mosley over the next 2 games.

As for the coaching staff in general I cant even find enough adjectives to use to indicate how bad they are at evaluating their own roster and seeing the big picture when it comes to managing younger players.

1.  Cook over Izzy:  Just inexplicable that Cook continued to play after week 9.  Izzy should be the starter the next 2 games - no reason to waste a single carry of wear and tear on Breece.

2. CJ over Ruckert:  Another veteran who showed nothing on the field whatsoever and prevented a younger, better player from helping the offense and gaining important experience.

3. Cobb over Brownlee/Gibson: Cobb was here for Rogers and to help the younger players adjust to Rogers cadence, hand signals etc.  Why he ever played a snap after week 9 is beyond my understanding.

4. The revolving door at RG:  Signing guys, starting them, then demoting them and starting someone else.  Really senseless roster managemet.

This is the only one where their explanation at least seems feasible.  Supposedly Izzy needed to learn to block at a pro level.  Our OL was bad enough to begin with that we couldn't afford to add another liability.

Uzomah was a sunk cost but they paid him big money so they wanted to get him some PT.  Awful decision!

I feel like they gave Gipson a chance to be WR2 (which he wouldn't have gotten on 31 other NFL teams but our WR corps is just that bad).  Brownlee actually showed a little something at least against Washington but, admittedly, they stink.  I still would've preferred to see him play over Cobb.  Though tbf, Cobb was inactive for a few games (IIRC).

No idea what was going on here but we certainly were desperate at the position.

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This is the only one where their explanation at least seems feasible.  Supposedly Izzy needed to learn to block at a pro level.  Our OL was bad enough to begin with that we couldn't afford to add another liability.

Uzomah was a sunk cost but they paid him big money so they wanted to get him some PT.  Awful decision!

I feel like they gave Gipson a chance to be WR2 (which he wouldn't have gotten on 31 other NFL teams but our WR corps is just that bad).  Brownlee actually showed a little something at least against Washington but, admittedly, they stink.  I still would've preferred to see him play over Cobb.  Though tbf, Cobb was inactive for a few games (IIRC).

No idea what was going on here but we certainly were desperate at the position.

The sunk cost part of CJ though is where the coaching staff really doesnt seem to grasp roster management or player development.

The whole point of having the GM and HC in completely separate roles is so that the HC can freely evaluate the players the GM gets for him.  They will obviously collaborate which is seems like Saleh and JD do, but then once the players are in the building, the staff decides who plays and why. 

When its clear from the film that someone like CJ or Dalvin Cook isnt playing at an adequate level AND there is a player behind them that has more upside (even if they have a question mark like in Izzy's case pass pro), its on the coaches to sit the sunk cost player as the money is no longer a factor and play younger guy to improve the overall play of the team on the field and give that player reps so that they improve for the future of the organization.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jamesr said:

Also worth remembering how high everyone was on Mitchell last year.

Does make me wonder how much our scheme and coaching this year has affected OL performance.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Max Mitchell's problem is that he simply lacks strength. He needs to get in a freaking Smolov Squat Cycle or something. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

The 2 top morons making these idiotic roster decisions will both be back next year. Can't wait. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I still think the logic behind McDonald was that they anticipated not paying Huff. I dunno, he strikes me as a Bryan Thomas type of guy in that some time around year 2 or 3 things will probably click. 

The second I figured out who he was on draft day I figured that he was Lawson's replacement but what do I know....I mean why pay Lawson?  I'd keep Huff over Lawson every single time.  

48 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Max Mitchell's problem is that he simply lacks strength. He needs to get in a freaking Smolov Squat Cycle or something. 

Excuses are a dime a dozen....it was the blood clots right, not that fact that our scouts and player evaluators screwed up drafting an guy who lacks strength.     

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

The second I figured out who he was on draft day I figured that he was Lawson's replacement but what do I know....I mean why pay Lawson?  I'd keep Huff over Lawson every single time.  

I think they kinda looked at Huff as something that's replicable, i.e. super explosive guy they coached up.  They should probably at least tag him high since McDonald certainly isn't a sure bet for next year and it would at least ensure they don't have to draft anyone else for the position in the Spring.

• Upvote 1

The blood clots from last year certainly didn’t help. I wonder how much it hindered him from working out. The lack of strength assessment was from the draft last year and due to injury ended up playing a lot. If he couldn’t work out properly he is still in the same situation 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1