the "rebuild"

kmnj

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

can joe fan boys tell me at what stage we are at in the "rebuild" We have to be getting close right or is it a 10 year plan?

Joe has had years of built in excuses and failures.

We are supposed to be set with Zach Becton and Mimms - they were to be the "franchise"

Joe has had his guys and his coach and his record for his tenure is beyond abysmal ....

He builds in excuses every year to keep his job-now this year was the arod year so we cant tear it down now-next year is also the arod year again and the sequels always are worse than the original but no worries they have a plan and are taking receipts. 

Joe-he literally conned Woody (an easy task) into two more years of having a job by bringing in a 40 year old QB-wins and losses literally did not matter this year -Joe and Saleh got their extra years.

During Joes tenure, we have watched trash organizations rebuild in 2 years-I am jealous of the browns....  they are winning without their franchise RB , they are on their  4th QB and last night their best WR was out and they dominated us in every aspect of the game. 

If there are any Joe D fanboys left at this point? When are we going to see actual wins ?

Think gowanus expressway type of overhaul…..

I'm glad you are jealous of the Browns. And hey, great story. Good for them. But with Flacco as their QB and all the injuries they have piled up, they are going to get stomped in the playoffs. If you want to get into the playoffs just to get stomped, great. I want to actually have a chance. 

The Jets are in win now mode. Its why they used precious draft picks on an aging HOF QB. The is no more 'rebuild' mode. 

While JD made some major mistakes this offseason, this team has been devastated by injuries. We all know this. I get these types of threads. Its frustration and that's fine. I'm a Jet fan. I live with frustration as far as this team is concerned my whole life. 

But we finally have a QB, this defense is stout and this offense has the critical pieces (star RB, star WR) to be productive. JD has a massive undertaking this offseason to rebuild the o-line, add a weapon at WR and rectify his mistake of not having a solid QB2 on the roster. This can be done. He is officially on the hot seat and will do whatever he can to accomplish this. He has a high draft pick, which will help. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

can joe fan boys tell me at what stage we are at in the "rebuild" We have to be getting close right or is it a 10 year plan?

We are supposed to be set with Zach Becton and Mimms - they were to be the "franchise"

Joe has had his guys and his coach and his record for his tenure is beyond abysmal ....

He builds in excuses every year to keep his job-now this year was the arod year so we cant tear it down now-next year is also the arod year again and the sequels always are worse than the original but no worries they have a plan and are taking receipts. 

Joe-he literally conned Woody (an easy task) into two more years of having a job by bringing in a 40 year old QB-wins and losses literally did not matter this year -Joe and Saleh got their extra years.

During Joes tenure, we have watched trash organizations rebuild in 2 years-I am jealous of the browns....  they are winning without their franchise RB , they are on their  4th QB and last night their best WR was out and they dominated us in every aspect of the game. 

If there are any Joe D fanboys left at this point? When are we going to see actual wins ?

This part is the “scrap building the right way/sustained success” phase and “make desperate moves/destroy the future/save jobs” phase. 

55 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

JD  screwed the pooch on the rebuild twice and it has destroyed any chance of the Jets being competitive year in and year out. In both instances the bad decisions were motivated by the belief that you can only win with a great QB and the only way to find a QB is at the top of the draft or in a blockbuster trade.

Mistake #1 was trading Darnold and picking Wilson with the #2 pick. The correct decision was to trade the #2 pick for a king's ransom, keep Darnold and sign a veteran to compete with Darnold, while you build a dominant O line and surround the QB position with playmakers. Once the offense is completed and all of the players have been in the same system for a couple of years, then and only then, do you draft a QB - at pick 10 or later (never a top 9 pick) who you allow to sit for a season and then compete for the starting job in year 2. You can consider starting him the the second half of his rookie season but only if he actually wins the job. This strategy ensures the you plug your green talented QB into a ready made O which makes his job lightyears easier than what the Jets have done. For examples, see Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Ben Roethlisberger, Pat Mahomes and Jalen Hurts - none of whom were selected any earlier than pick #10.

Mistake #2 was made because of Mistake #1. Once again, the proper move was to sign a veteran - IDK maybe like Gardner Minshew - and look to pick #10 or later for a QB (It strikes me that the Jets could have easily used their draft capital to get a pick at the end of the first round to select Will Levis or taken Hendon Hooker later in the draft). What bothers me most about this is that if the Jets felt the need for a QB after this season, they would have been in an ideal position to sign Kirk Cousins as a free agent. Now, I am not a big Cousins fan, but I know others here are and the Jets would by this time be a team that was built right because they did not destroy their future by reaching for QBs rather than dedicating their efforts to build the team, and Cousins would likely view the Jets as a desirable destination.

Spot on and I never want to hear “hindsight is 20/20” from the slow koolaid brigade that laps up whatever sh*t the jets serve them. The people here who “get it”, knew to do this. 

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Always remember, Adam Gase hired Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

IMO, the players are there, this has more to do with coaching (lack of discipline, play calling). Not that Joe D doesn't have some culpability. 

This team with Rodgers was a win now team with pieces all over the field. It's contradicting to hear the same fans in the preseason talk about the playoffs and all the talent the Jets have to now say Joe D has done nothing to fill this roster with talent. 

The problem for Joe is that he missed big on Zach Wilson. Bectons unfortunate injury ****ed the LT position. That's the 2 most important pieces that for one reason or another haven't worked out. 

Is this a serious post

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Great post.  Didn't want to quote the whole thing, but I am not sure why it is so hard for folks to see this.  Bad teams are full of holes, then they draft QBs with high picks and wonder why it fails.  I would much rather follow the KC or Buffalo blueprint.  Build solid teams led by veteran journeymen QBs, target a guy in the draft and move heaven and earth to go up and get your guy when you already have a solid enough roster to support a rookie. 

I was fully on board with drafting a QB with the 2 pick a few years ago.  Wilson was not my choice, but I supported using the pick on a QB.  I was wrong.  QB should be the last piece, not the first.

It should always be last or near last. It can’t come until the OL and offensive weapons are in place. It CAN come before defense as a young QB grows on a good offense. Playoffs/Super Bowl are not realistic for year 1 so the defense can be a little behind. Year 2 for a young QB is when a team should really be ready to compete. I prefer the QB last but it can be done before defense is finished as long as the defense is not completely terrible.

• Upvote 3

If the line stays mostly healthy and AR doesn't go down.  We're likely already locked in the playoffs.

With a top 15 or even 20 line this team is competing for the superbowl.

Strengthen the OL to average, and add Mike Evans with a healthy AR and I think next year can be great.

Till AR breaks a collar bone 10 plays in.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not in a rebuild.  We are a qb away from being a very good team and that qb will be healthy for next year.

Wake up jet fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A QB.  A solid number 2 QB.  Two good offensive tackles.  One offensive guard.  A number 2 WR. 

FYI... Top quality offensive lineman are not falling out of the sky.  Finding a good LT is very challenging and co$$$tly if you get one in FA.  Finding a LT and a RT in one off season is a tall order.  Finding a LT, RT and G in one off season will take an absolute do or die commitment along with making the right choice with the first round draft choice. 

What has JD done so far to make any of us think he can even come close to accomplishing that ???

We get explanations and excuses.

Time's up, Mr. Douglas.  In either you pull off the best off-season in Jets history or you hit the bricks.

And... If the JD-RS team is out of contention by October of 2024, the fans will riot and their asses will be SHlT-CANNED mid-season. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

The Browns were also down to OTs #4 and 5 and lost their only effective WR on the active roster when Moore went down. 

They had the exact same scenario of problems the Jets did, the difference is in how they recognized the problem and found capable solutions.  

That is beyond Saleh and JD.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

A QB.  A solid number 2 QB.  Two good offensive tackles.  One offensive guard.  A number 2 WR. 

FYI... Top quality offensive lineman are not falling out of the sky.  Finding a good LT is very challenging and co$$$tly if you get one in FA.  Finding a LT and a RT in one off season is a tall order.  Finding a LT, RT and G in one off season will take an absolute do or die commitment along with making the right choice with the first round draft choice. 

What has JD done so far to make any of us think he can even come close to accomplishing that ???

We get explanations and excuses.

Time's up, Mr. Douglas.  In either you pull off the best off-season in Jets history or you hit the bricks.

And... If the JD-RS team is out of contention by October of 2024, the fans will riot and their asses will be SHlT-CANNED mid-season. 

It could not be easier to fix this thing.  LT will be taken when we pick btwn 6-8 in the draft.  Kevin Zietler will be signed via free agency at G.  RT will be another free agent we will back up the brinks truck for. WR2 will be higgins or pittman.

QB2 is irrelevant.  Rypien is fine.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

JD  screwed the pooch on the rebuild twice and it has destroyed any chance of the Jets being competitive year in and year out. In both instances the bad decisions were motivated by the belief that you can only win with a great QB and the only way to find a QB is at the top of the draft or in a blockbuster trade.

Mistake #1 was trading Darnold and picking Wilson with the #2 pick. The correct decision was to trade the #2 pick for a king's ransom, keep Darnold and sign a veteran to compete with Darnold, while you build a dominant O line and surround the QB position with playmakers. Once the offense is completed and all of the players have been in the same system for a couple of years, then and only then, do you draft a QB - at pick 10 or later (never a top 9 pick) who you allow to sit for a season and then compete for the starting job in year 2. You can consider starting him the the second half of his rookie season but only if he actually wins the job. This strategy ensures the you plug your green talented QB into a ready made O which makes his job lightyears easier than what the Jets have done. For examples, see Dak Prescott, Brock Purdy, Ben Roethlisberger, Pat Mahomes and Jalen Hurts - none of whom were selected any earlier than pick #10.

Mistake #2 was made because of Mistake #1. Once again, the proper move was to sign a veteran - IDK maybe like Gardner Minshew - and look to pick #10 or later for a QB (It strikes me that the Jets could have easily used their draft capital to get a pick at the end of the first round to select Will Levis or taken Hendon Hooker later in the draft). What bothers me most about this is that if the Jets felt the need for a QB after this season, they would have been in an ideal position to sign Kirk Cousins as a free agent. Now, I am not a big Cousins fan, but I know others here are and the Jets would by this time be a team that was built right because they did not destroy their future by reaching for QBs rather than dedicating their efforts to build the team, and Cousins would likely view the Jets as a desirable destination.

I call b.s. on this. If Zach didn't bust this strategy would not be put into question. This would be a playoff team last year and even with the o-line being a mess due to injuries, probably a playoff team THIS year. We wouldn't have had to give up draft capital for Rodgers, and so on and so forth. So mistake #1 was not really a mistake. Zach just happened to bust. It happens. Easy to say in hindsight, knowing that Zach is a bust - well, we should have stuck with Darnold and traded the #2 pick for a haul. What a load of b.s.

Same with 'Mistake #2'. Had Rodgers NOT gotten hurt, even with all the injuries on the o-line, this could have been a playoff team. You telling me we could not have beat the Pats, Raiders, Falcons and Chiefs with Rodgers? Giving us 10 wins on the season. It's b.s. You are looking at the season in hindsight. With no Rodgers and the mess of injuries on the o-line and terrible QB play of Zach, Boyle and now Siemian. 

JDs biggest mistake was not bringing in a legitimate QB2 and quality o-line depth, particularly at OT.   

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I call b.s. on this. If Zach didn't bust this strategy would not be put into question. This would be a playoff team last year and even with the o-line being a mess due to injuries, probably a playoff team THIS year. We wouldn't have had to give up draft capital for Rodgers, and so on and so forth. So mistake #1 was not really a mistake. Zach just happened to bust. It happens. Easy to say in hindsight, knowing that Zach is a bust - well, we should have stuck with Darnold and traded the #2 pick for a haul. What a load of b.s.

Same with 'Mistake #2'. Had Rodgers NOT gotten hurt, even with all the injuries on the o-line, this could have been a playoff team. You telling me we could not have beat the Pats, Raiders, Falcons and Chiefs with Rodgers? Giving us 10 wins on the season. It's b.s. You are looking at the season in hindsight. With no Rodgers and the mess of injuries on the o-line and terrible QB play of Zach, Boyle and now Siemian. 

JDs biggest mistake was not bringing in a legitimate QB2 and quality o-line depth, particularly at OT.   

Zach busted clearly. But would he have busted as profoundly if he had been placed in a finished Offense rather than starting in year 1 of the offense? And as to this team being a playoff team. Please, the O line cannot block anyone and you can't blame the injuries because the Fins, Browns and other teams have had lots of injuries on the O line and still managed to play effectively.  You build the whole team, putting a middling veteran at QB, and when the team is done, then and only then you find your QB of the future. Because, you have then become the Ravens and continually reload your entire team through the draft signing the occasional good value free agent.  Doing otherwise just puts you in the never-ending cycle of chasing a QB when in reality, if you built the team correctly finding a QB who can succeed on your team is a whole lot easier.

• Upvote 1

My favorite from some is wins and losses doesn’t matter, he has a good process.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The Jets were well on their way to a successful rebuild.   And then they made two fatal mistakes.

one - they convinced themselves they were closer to being really good than they actually were.

two - they panicked when wilson turned out badly.

They needed at least one more if not two more nice drafts and then would be built and just need to add a decent QB to really challenge.

Instead because they panicked they went all in on rodgers, gave up way to much draft capital, skewed their draft and FA strategy and made it all about one player.  That player lasted 4 plays.

• Upvote 3