What Should the Bears do with the #1 pick?

What should the Bears do with the #1 pick and Fields?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Bears do with the #1 pick and Fields?

• Draft their favorite QB and trade Fields
    • Trade the pick for a haul and build around Fields

They sit at 1 and 10 currently, I believe.

They have every possibility of drafting the best QB of the draft (crapshoot tho it is) AND getting another key piece at O-line or TE at #10.

I liked Fields coming out, and I wouldn't complain in Fields was our backup instead of Poop Wilson next year, but the Bears would be daft to build around Fields based on what he's shown so far as a passer.  

If I run the Bears, I most likely draft a QB at #1, and the best Offensive-side asset possible with the #10 pick.  Like the Jets, I might go O early AND often if I ran the Bears, they need the help.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They should pretend they want a QB, try to trade down but if that doesn't work, sit and take Marvin Jr

and don't feel bad about "reaching" or "Not getting value."  

I cannot stress this enough - the Bears need Marvin Harrison Jr. Every team does 

MHJ is the actual generational player and the "QB Value" bump is often ridiculous

what I mean by that is - scouts inc might have Marvin at 97 out of 100 and Caleb at 91 out of 100 but because Caleb is a QB he gets a bump? 

You want Busts? cause that's how we get busts

how about just taking the best player? when we look back on drafts and wonder Gee How did Jamarcus Russell go before Calvin Johnson it's because of that stupid "QB value" 

side note it's funny how when we're pre draft everyone says the QB is the most important position on the field and having a great QB makes everyone better and after draft it's all about finding Weaponz, a line, a tight end maybe etc. 

the Brock Purdy model is just as valid. 

Caleb is not any better than Fields, just younger 

Drake Maye is actually the true QB1 but a system guy a plus-Herbert - maybe that's better than Fields but only slightly - his future very much depends on getting the right coach etc

Marvin is the guy in this draft it's not a debate and if no one buys that you want to trade down you take Marvin and sleep well at night 

Only reason to take a qb is if you want to reset the qb salary clock.  Ultimately i think a team could trade up to get a qb, like washington, while chicago gets another haul. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They should pretend they want a QB, try to trade down but if that doesn't work, sit and take Marvin Jr

I cannot stress this enough - the Bears need Marvin Harrison Jr. Every team does 

MHJ is the actual generational player and the "QB Value" bump is often ridiculous

what I mean by that is - scouts inc might have Marvin at 97 out of 100 and Caleb at 91 out of 100 but because Caleb is a QB he gets a bump? 

how about just taking the best player? when we look back on drafts and wonder Gee How did Jamarcus Russell go before Calvin Johnson it's because of that stupid "QB value" 

side note it's funny how when we're pre draft everyone says the QB is the most important position on the field and having a great QB makes everyone better and after draft it's all about finding Weaponz, a line, a tight end maybe etc. 

Drake Maye is actually the true QB1 but a system guy a plus-Herbert - maybe that's better than Fields but only slightly - his future very much depends on getting the right coach etc

Marvin is the guy in this draft it's not a debate and if no one buys that you want to trade down you take Marvin and sleep well at night 

I love MHJ, but if want to take MHJ, you definitely try to trade down to 2 or 3 and that’s what they would do. 

the first pick in this draft will absolutely be a QB (I still think it will be Caleb Williams)

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Trade down anywhere from 2-5 and grab Marvin Harrison Jr

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

love MHJ, but if want to take MHJ, you definitely try to trade down to 2 or 3 and that’s what they would do. 

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Only reason to take a qb is if you want to reset the qb salary clock.  Ultimately i think a team could trade up to get a qb, like washington, while chicago gets another haul

i get that and certainly the Bears want to have their cake and eat it too 

all im saying is don't get cute, trade down too far and draft 18 bums like how Parcells did in the Orlando Pace draft

there's like 5 blue chips in this class maybe less you don't want to trade too far or it's good night gracie 

• Upvote 3

Keep Fields, take MHJ (because neither Washington or NE are going to trade up knowing that Bears want MHJ and Bears can't afford to go below 3). Stay put at #10 and take Wiggins or Turner or Jenkins to bolster the defense. That team is close to being real good and this draft can push them to the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Having the first overall pick in back to back years and passing on a QB both times because you have Justin Fields on your roster is absolutely baffling to me, but I think it’s exactly what the Bears are going to do.

Fields has 16 TD 9 Int 85 rating and 630 rushing yards on the year - the stats are even more impressive if we just look at the last month

he's won the locker room and the Bears are 7-9 not a complete disaster like ARZ, WAS, CAR they can win with Fields imagine Fields plus MHJ and DJ moore and Cmet it's kind of a nice scenario 

again I get the want to get value out of the pick but MHJ is a top 3 player unless you work out something with Washington or NEP you're gonna miss him 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would trade Justin Fields to the Jets for Zach Wilson and see if he can win comeback player of the year. 

lmao if this happens id die from laughter

• Haha 2

I think whether they should trade the pick very much depends on the trade partner and package.

If you can move down a couple of spots and get serious draft capital, I think you need to think about it, especially if you don't think Caleb Williams is the best QB in the draft.

Like, imagine getting a two future 1sts and a 2nd from a bad org (Commanders) to move from 1 to 3 or 4 and drafting MHJ (or a QB you like more than Williams) anyway. In the latter scenario you can still flip Fields too.

36 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would stick with Fields and trade that pick for a haul. Fields has been playing quite well of late and these college QBs are nothing more than a crapshoot. 

right there with you.

if the trade package is right - pull the trigger.

Lately there are 4-5 QB's coming out every year and while sometimes the word generational is thrown around - the top prospects are not always the best.

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Of course in a vacuum. In the real world, how does this play out?

if washington is okay with either QB then they won't trade up.  But if they have their eye on one, then definitely trade up so that they get their guy.

the wild card is NE or ARI.  if they want a QB they need to make the trade.  Even if they know Chicago wants the WR.

Question is what does Chicago get to drop down to 3.  Can they get a 2nd this year and a first next year.  my guess is yes definitely.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think whether they should trade the pick very much depends on the trade partner and package.

If you can move down a couple of spots and get serious draft capital, I think you need to think about it, especially if you don't think Caleb Williams is the best QB in the draft.

Like, imagine getting a two future 1sts and a 2nd from a bad org (Commanders) to move from 1 to 3 or 4 and drafting MHJ (or a QB you like more than Williams) anyway. In the latter scenario you can still flip Fields too.

That was exactly what I was thinking.

If they get an offer similar to what Carolina gave up, you have to take that.   Trade back to 5-8.  Get a premier left tackle prospect, draft another WR at #10, plus a future extra first and second rounder.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

2 first rounders including this year or in addition to this year.  my guess is that 3 first rounders isn't happening.

first and second this year and next year is the highest i would expect to move down.  but maybe that's foolish thinking on my part

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

2 first rounders including this year or in addition to this year.  my guess is that 3 first rounders isn't happening.

first and second this year and next year is the highest i would expect to move down.  but maybe that's foolish thinking on my part

Depends on what the hype looks like for Caleb TBH. It seems people have generally cooled on him relative to this time last year.

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fields has 16 TD 9 Int 85 rating and 630 rushing yards on the year - the stats are even more impressive if we just look at the last month

he's won the locker room and the Bears are 7-9 not a complete disaster like ARZ, WAS, CAR they can win with Fields imagine Fields plus MHJ and DJ moore and Cmet it's kind of a nice scenario 

again I get the want to get value out of the pick but MHJ is a top 3 player unless you work out something with Washington or NEP you're gonna miss him 

Fields himself is not an argument for anything. This year, he's 27/31 qualifying players in DYAR and DVOA, 29/31 in Success Rate, 21st in EPA/play, and 25th in ANY/A. He's also one of very few players to have negative passing DYAR each of their first three years in the league, and the company is not distinguished: Jeff George, Rick Mirer, Tim Couch, and Sam Darnold. If the Bears don't think Williams or Maye are legit franchise guys, of course they shouldn't take them. But nothing about Fields's career thus far suggests he's a worthy alternative or even a solid fallback option, especially since they already passed on Stroud last year.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

I’d vote C. Trade the pick, build the team up and get the qb in the following draft. Trading the 1 guarantees multiple firsts in the following draft. Will also give the bears one more year to see what fields is. This is what I’d have hoped the jets did when we were in the Darnold / Zach Wilson situation. The team wasn’t ready to insert a new qb yet.

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Whispers out there that Caleb Williams doesn’t want to play in Chicago anyway, so they might be down to Maye vs Harrison. I wouldn’t trust Fields with my career if I was Poles, but I’d also be a little nervous about Maye, who looks a little mushy

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Fields himself is not an argument for anything. This year, he's 27/31 qualifying players in DYAR and DVOA, 29/31 in Success Rate, 21st in EPA/play, and 25th in ANY/A. He's also one of very few players to have negative passing DYAR each of their first three years in the league, and the company is not distinguished: Jeff George, Rick Mirer, Tim Couch, and Sam Darnold. If the Bears don't think Williams or Maye are legit franchise guys, of course they shouldn't take them. But nothing about Fields's career thus far suggests he's a worthy alternative or even a solid fallback option, especially since they already passed on Stroud last year.

Do dyar or dvoa take into account QB rushing? It's not clear to me if they do. Traditional QB rating stats do not.

The Bears might be able to take MHJ at 1 and Penix at 10.

A rookie QB resets the clock for a regime...a bit. Keeping Fields and NOT drafting a QB...if he struggles is going to force that GM and HC out the door quickly.

You have to draft the best QB on your board, but I'd keep Fields and let him start the season while the rookie learns.