Douglas Names Three Players he’d Like Back With Jets in ’24

Joe-Douglas-solo.jpg

While meeting with the media to wrap up the 2023 season, Jets GM Joe Douglas mentioned the names of three players he’d like back in 2024.  While answering a question specifically about edge rusher Bryce Huff’s pending free agency, Douglas voluntarily brought up two other players he’d like to have back in addition to Huff.

Douglas mentioned offensive tackle Mekhi Becton and safety Ashtyn Davis as two players the team would like to have back next season and here’s why both could make sense.

As we mentioned right here earlier in the day, a Becton return doesn’t seem likely, but it could make some sense for both sides.  A thin free agent market, Becton’s late struggles and the Jets need for O-Line depth could all come together to make it happen.

In the case of Davis, you could argue he was the team’s most improved player not tamed Quincy Williams.  In a part time role, Davis made the most of his opportunities as he was in the middle of the Jets forcing several turnovers.  The third-year safety had a career high 3 interceptions to go along with 3 fumble recoveries.

And as one would expect, Douglas had plenty of praise for the player he was initially asked about in Huff, lauding the work he put in to go from undrafted free agent to a double-digit sack season in a contract year.

The post Douglas Names Three Players he’d Like Back With Jets in ’24 appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Of course, let the best pass rusher we have walk and keep the guy that can’t block pass rushers. Seems about right. 

It’s all about who can eat the most. Contributions are irrelevant 

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Of course, let the best pass rusher we have walk and keep the guy that can’t block pass rushers. Seems about right. 

He said he'd like Bryce back.

But I think they tag and trade him to recoup the 2 they lost in the Rodgers deal.

• Upvote 4

Just now, AFJF said:

He said he'd like Bryce back.

But I think they tag and trade him to recoup the 2 they lost in the Rodgers deal.

He’s full of crap. He already wasted a pick on his replacement next year.  Never had any intention of bringing him back, no matter what he says. Would certainly sting less if they recoup the 2, but we are 100% not a better team without Bryce Huff. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

He’s full of crap. He already wasted a pick on his replacement next year.  Never had any intention of bringing him back, no matter what he says. Would certainly sting less if they recoup the 2, but we are 100% not a better team without Bryce Huff. 

i think we will be fine without Huff. McDonald got 3 sacks in half the snaps Huff got 10 in. JJ is on the verge of being better than Huff and he is better vs the run so you can play him more.

with the money Huff wants we cant afford to pay him with the worst offense in NFL history.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

i think we will be fine without Huff. McDonald got 3 sacks in half the snaps Huff got 10 in. JJ is on the verge of being better than Huff and he is better vs the run so you can play him more.

with the money Huff wants we cant afford to pay him with the worst offense in NFL history.

Yes, maybe,  I still miss John Abraham, I bought his jersey two weeks before we traded him. But, the point was Joe Douglas never had any intention of bringing Huff back. No matter what he says now, his action of drafting McDonald speak way louder. That’s the point I was making.

He has zero intention of keeping Huff and the rest of the NFL knows this. He likely gets nothing back for him. A 2 would be a win. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In fairness Ashtyn Davis really came on this season. Also I would bring Becton back on a 1 year “prove it” contract. 

Ashtyn is home grown talent, should keep him. Becton had this year to prove it, he proved he’s nothing more than a guy looking for that fat second contract so he can retire early(as in still under contract) , play video games and eat himself into needing a garage door to leave the house. 

Yet, Joe has put us in such a corner with his vapid incompetence at building the O line it may just happen. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Ashtyn is home grown talent, should keep him. Becton had this year to prove it, he proved he’s nothing more than a guy looking for that fat second contract so he can retire early(as in still under contract) , play video games and eat himself into needing a garage door to leave the house. 

Yet, Joe has put us in such a corner with his vapid incompetence at building the O line it may just happen. 

I’m talking vet minimum. Our line needs bodies. Becton played decent early in the season. He was terrible later in the year. If there is team out there that offers him a good contract in free agency certainly I’d let him go. However if we can bring him back on a minimal contract I would. It’s risk free.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m talking vet minimum. Our line needs bodies. Becton played decent early in the season. He was terrible later in the year. If there is team out there that offers him a good contract in free agency certainly I’d let him go. However if we can bring him back on a minimal contract I would. It’s risk free.

If we need bodies we will likely be counting Becton twice by next season. I’m not disagreeing. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

JD trying to act like his former top draft pick is worth something haha. 

It's one of his defining traits as a GM, a stubborn refusal to see how horrible some (most) of his picks and FA signings have been.

At least with his FA's he'd been wedded to one-year deals, so we don't have the annual "we like this guy alot" BS for his failed experiments.

I'd really love to know what JD plans to do with colossal bust Lazard at WR.  Brining him back like nothing happened, after he was inactive as a healthy-scratch the second half of the season after proving he was a horrible lazy bum is gonna be balls fun, eh.

• Upvote 2

Keeping either Huff or Becton will probably require Douglas to also keep Zach.

Zach is bought and paid for. Cutting/Trading him would hit the cap for over $11m in dead money. When Joe is rubbing pennies together for guys like Huff, swallowing an $11m cap hit just to cut/trade a player would be hard.

Becton blocking for Zach at some point in 2024 is kinda likely. Just the cap world we live in.

I mean it's going to be really hard to get two new tackles for next year.  I'm not apposed to bringing Becton back on a short term deal.  I can't imagine another team breaking the bank for the guy.  Let him fight it out with Carter Warren and another potential late pick/FA signing for RT while we draft our LT in the first rd.

Only way you can bring Becton back is if he agrees to the following conditions:

1. A 1 year deal for backup level compensation with no injury gaurantees

2. He will enter the season as a backup. He certainly can move up the chain if he significantly outperforms whomever they bring in to start at LT.

If he agrees to this fine, I just don't see it happening 

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

Only way you can bring Becton back is if he agrees to the following conditions:

1. A 1 year deal for backup level compensation with no injury gaurantees

2. He will enter the season as a backup. He certainly can move up the chain if he significantly outperforms whomever they bring in to start at LT.

If he agrees to this fine, I just don't see it happening 

Why would he do this, when there’s probably going to be a team that pays him to be a starter.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, doitny said:

More than the money Huff wants, it's how much more it'd take for us to lock him up than the next-highest team since he's all but said he just doesn't want to be here because he won't start here.

So the only way they can force that hand is to tag him at some $23MM+ for one more year (or as the basis for an extension), which is just ridiculous.

It's even more ridiculous as a tag & trade idea -- you only tag him if you already know you have a deal (e.g. NE with Matt Cassel) or if you're 100% committed to paying him that much - and have him hit the cap for that much - for one more season.

Someone else will pay him ~$15MM/year to start, probably. The Jets would have to way-outbid that offer to get him to re-sign here as a situational use player, and no team in the league is trading away a 2nd rounder for the privilege of matching a $23MM franchise tag and then use that as the basis for an extension. If they tag him, he's not getting traded. He'll play out the one year for that massive amount, and they'll still lose him in '25 anyway as he hits FA then while he's still young.

• Upvote 2