Jerod Mayo new HC of NE

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

All the hand wringing about Vrabel, and the Patsies draft spot, shows how much that franchise is still "living rent-free in people's heads".

Patsies are not the team we need to worry about. ;-) 

100%, the Jets are, we blow! 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

WOW I was proven completely wrong with the collusion theories to get Vrabel. 

I wonder where Vrabel goes now? I'm not sure why we are still retaining our HC and not hiring him but who am I?

A lot of talk of Vrabel to the LA Chargers.

• Upvote 2

Not entirely shocking even with Vrabel's availability.

When the Patriots saved Mayo from the Panthers last year, according to reports, it was reported to the NFL offices that he would be Belichick's replacement in 2025.  The Patriots implosion sped things up.  Obvious, "yeah buts" aside, this allows the Patriots to get around the Rooney rule.

I like the hire.  Mayo is well experienced with Belichick's defensive system as a player and coach.  He will put his spin on things obviously, but the defense should not need too much attention this draft.  I am curious to see what happens with the offense.  My swag is Billy O gets full reigns to build a staff.

How it turs out we shall see.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Smart move. Every single coach from the Belichick coaching tree is putrid rotten decayed stink weed. Vrabel as an ex player by far the only one even remotely competent. 

Flores has an argument I think too but yea I have the same enthusiasm lol

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

100%, the Jets are, we blow! 

Exactly. We beat ourselves more than any other team does. Take care of our own business and we'll be a far better team. No point looking at who other teams will / won't draft or who another team will hire as HC. If we don't sort our own stuff out, none of that matters. And if we do sort our own stuff out, still none of it matters. ;-) 

• Upvote 1

This current pats team is a bit of a mess. The offense needs to be torn apart and rebuilt. The pats job was near the bottom, throwing mayo in there can work for two reasons. 1. If he good, they got there guy quickly, or 2. If he isn’t the guy, they’ll have had the opportunity to rebuild the offense up and try again when the team is a bit stronger. Not a bad move.

6 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

But why???

Agreed... only has a few years assistant experience BUT he must have impressed.

He is a borderline HOF player.   Well, we drafted Gholsten, they drafted Mayo.

NY Jets.. drafting 1st and 2nd round busts since forever.

• Sympathy 1

Surprised by this one.

The Pats* clearly rate Mayo very highly, and they apparently wrote into his contract that he would be Belicheat's eventual successor.

I thought the availability of Vrabel would change Krafty's thinking. But he stuck with his guy and moved ahead with elevating Mayo.

We'll see how it works out - hopefully very, very badly.

• Upvote 1

While I’m glad they didn’t go with Vrabel, I’m not going to celebrate just yet. The word is that they have been super high on Mayo for a long time. 

I won’t be surprised at all if he ends up being considerably better than our guy. 

40 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Smart move. Every single coach from the Belichick coaching tree is putrid rotten decayed stink weed. Vrabel as an ex player by far the only one even remotely competent. 

Brian Flores was and will be a good HC in the NFL.  Miles better than Saleh.  Not remotely close.  

28 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

The Patriots implosion sped things up.  Obvious, "yeah buts" aside, this allows the Patriots to get around the Rooney rule.

Do the Pats get a 3rd round pick for a minority hiring or since it’s in-house they don’t ?

• Upvote 1