Cimini: Rumblings Of R1 Trade Down

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Get a qb.  Anyone.  It’s the only way to guarantee we don’t have to endure watching Zachenberg for a 4th full season 

we can fix the OL in FA

Put the pipe dream away they are not getting a QB early in he draft, no chance.  They will likely pick a developmental guy later.

Zach is gone put away your fears.

• Upvote 3

Every year there are 10-12 players with true first round grades so trading down from 10 is much more significant than trading down later in the round. Just getting a 2nd and say a mid 20s first rounder is not enough compensation so a team needs to LOVE a player and probably fall lower than expected and almost definitely be a QB for there to first be a trade partner and second offer enough compensation for us to move down.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

JD trading down won;t surprise me at all.

Will make drafting a bendy Edge at ~#23 who'll need several seasons and huge workouts to get game-ready much more reasonable in his eyes.

Quite frankly, I would want JD to trade down.  I've already done several mock drafts for the Jets, and there are 6 offensive tackles that look to be taken in the first round.  After Alt is gone, there is much speculation as to the order of the next 5 tackles.  

If the Jets could move down no more than 10 spots, and pick up a 2nd round pick for this year, then the Jets might possibly be able to get not only a 1st round talent at offensive tackle, but a very capable 2nd tackle or guard in the 2nd round, much like Tippman from this past draft.  The top guard might even be available somewhere in the mid second round, as well as a very capable offensive tackle.

The Jets need to shore up that offensive line, and getting 2 possible starters in the first 2 rounds might be a great thing.

The only way the Jets keep the #10 pick, is if Alt is available, but I doubt that this will be the case.

• Upvote 1

there's a real part of me that's more excited about Taliese Fuaga, Tyler Guyton and Kingsley Suamataia at mid or late rd 1 (early 2 for Kingsley) prices than Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu at top 10 prices 

also this is a great primer on the Senior Bowl OL it might be the best crop down there in years - there's like 10 dudes down there who make the Jets OL better today - if they get three of them they really could rebuild the line in a year 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2024/01/22/senior-bowl-2024-ol

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a real part of me that's more excited about Taliese Fuaga, Tyler Guyton and Kingsley Suamataia at mid or late rd 1 prices than Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu at top 10 prices 

also this is a great primer on the Senior Bowl OL it might be the best crop down there in years

100% agreed. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's a real part of me that's more excited about Taliese Fuaga, Tyler Guyton and Kingsley Suamataia at mid or late rd 1 (early 2 for Kingsley) prices than Joe Alt and Olu Fashanu at top 10 prices 

also this is a great primer on the Senior Bowl OL it might be the best crop down there in years - there's like 10 dudes down there who make the Jets OL better today - if they get three of them they really could rebuild the line in a year 

I came back to this thread pretty much to post that I suspect those guys (plus Mims) are more in Douglas’ wheelhouse. Guy loves big swings. I think he’d rather have OT5 in this class plus a second round pick than OT2.

• Upvote 1

• I am not a GM, but I would think that each draft should be "redone" to compare what actually happened, and how players actually played, with how they were projected and picked.
  • Understanding that QB, OT, WR and EDGE are the most important positions to draft (because their rookie contracts are far cheaper than second contracts), it would appear to me that 
    • The Jets trade down was tremendously valuable to the Packers because it allowed the new teams above them to pick a starting OT and EDGE DE.   I think the trade down there was the worst part of the AR8 trade, and JD should have held out.  How much better would we be looking now with Broderick Jones at RT?
    • The position that the Jets picked was pretty much no man's land.  The entire NFL was pretty clueless there, as the other players picked behind Will McD were not great, other than Gonzalez who was really the BPA where the Jets picked.   The players got more interesting later in the round, with the WRs and Anton Harrison.
  • So in retrospect JD should have taken ANYTHING to trade down in the first round last year.  My guess is that the offers to trade up were either nonexistent or did not meet the Value Chart.  A monkey can read the Value Chart.  A 7th round pick, a cheaper contract and extending Huff would have been better than picking McD where they did. 

That's is very strange.  That is the complete opposite of the Trade up rumblings I heard about, and a few reports that the Jets may stand pat. 

I did have one source say we may trade down.

I will have more when it gets a bit closer.  Stay tuned.

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Once again, ive played the simulators dozens of times each day. No matter what you always do better with a trade down to grab a second.

The difference between 10 and say 19 isnt monumental, so it makes sense and we have too many needs

what dumb jd needs to do is go on a MAJOR smokescreen display and show lots of interest in QBs. At 10, if teams suspect the jets will grab their qb, they will trade. honestly a qb in round 1 is what he should do anyways but...

It isn’t believable though. Everyone and their brother knows that this team isn’t drafting a qb.  Smoke screens are fine and dandy but they’ll need to be believable. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, derp said:

I came back to this thread pretty much to post that I suspect those guys (plus Mims) are more in Douglas’ wheelhouse. Guy loves big swings. I think he’d rather have OT5 in this class plus a second round pick than OT2.

It'd be nice if we could develop any offensive players under this coaching staff. 

53 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • I am not a GM, but I would think that each draft should be "redone" to compare what actually happened, and how players actually played, with how they were projected and picked.
  • Understanding that QB, OT, WR and EDGE are the most important positions to draft (because their rookie contracts are far cheaper than second contracts), it would appear to me that 
    • The Jets trade down was tremendously valuable to the Packers because it allowed the new teams above them to pick a starting OT and EDGE DE.   I think the trade down there was the worst part of the AR8 trade, and JD should have held out.  How much better would we be looking now with Broderick Jones at RT?
    • The position that the Jets picked was pretty much no man's land.  The entire NFL was pretty clueless there, as the other players picked behind Will McD were not great, other than Gonzalez who was really the BPA where the Jets picked.   The players got more interesting later in the round, with the WRs and Anton Harrison.
  • So in retrospect JD should have taken ANYTHING to trade down in the first round last year.  My guess is that the offers to trade up were either nonexistent or did not meet the Value Chart.  A monkey can read the Value Chart.  A 7th round pick, a cheaper contract and extending Huff would have been better than picking McD where they did. 

I wouldn't be so quick to write off McDonald. This cs has done well developing defensive players. If you want to argue it was a bad pick for 2023 you'll get no argument from me but draft picks really need to be for longer term outlook. Which is why we shouldn't rule out taking a QB depending on how it falls.

• Upvote 4

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/draft.htm

image.thumb.png.292b5d71d684616f49ef513cadda7958.png
Has JD really had 4 drafts already?!  Or was that first draft in 2020 the one where he showed up after the picks were made?  I'm pretty sure he's had these 4 full draft classes.   Even though there's a good amount of talent there, I still think we're 2 more drafts away from rebuilding the offense.  And by that time, we'll need the single most important piece again - the QB.  I think 3 years is a reasonable amount of time to rebuild a team.  Certainly after 4 years that should be plenty of time.  Meanwhile, JD is now going on year 5 and our offense is still a disaster.

The thing is at 10 can you get a decent enough trade down. And is the player you're not selecting better than what you're probably getting in return: a lower first round pick and a 2nd or 3rd rounder. If we could pick up two good offensive lineman prospects in those slot I'd do it. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alka said:

Quite frankly, I would want JD to trade down.  I've already done several mock drafts for the Jets, and there are 6 offensive tackles that look to be taken in the first round.  After Alt is gone, there is much speculation as to the order of the next 5 tackles.  

If the Jets could move down no more than 10 spots, and pick up a 2nd round pick for this year, then the Jets might possibly be able to get not only a 1st round talent at offensive tackle, but a very capable 2nd tackle or guard in the 2nd round, much like Tippman from this past draft.  The top guard might even be available somewhere in the mid second round, as well as a very capable offensive tackle.

The Jets need to shore up that offensive line, and getting 2 possible starters in the first 2 rounds might be a great thing.

The only way the Jets keep the #10 pick, is if Alt is available, but I doubt that this will be the case.

And I remember hearing that the best C in this draft might fall to the 3rd round.  If we drafted a LT in round 1, the best OG in round 2 and the top C in round 3, we could move Tippmann to the other OG spot and AVT to RT.  That would be a complete rebuild of the OL, which is what we desperately need.  Take a WR in round 4 and sign a couple of FAs.

I think the bottom line is Douglas needs to answer the phone if there are some trade down scenarios.  It looks like there might be  one of the top tackles available at ten.  One might still be there at fifteen or so.  Plus it also depends on who they pick up in free agency.  And I wouldn’t rule out them grabbing a qb with one of the higher picks. They can still bring in a brisket or minshew as back up with a chance to start in 2025 or 2026.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, extmenace said:

It isn’t believable though. Everyone and their brother knows that this team isn’t drafting a qb.  Smoke screens are fine and dandy but they’ll need to be believable. 

they can be believable just get old man ar8 to also talk about the need to grab his successor early if a qb falls. and one will. 

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And I remember hearing that the best C in this draft might fall to the 3rd round.  If we drafted a LT in round 1, the best OG in round 2 and the top C in round 3, we could move Tippmann to the other OG spot and AVT to RT.  That would be a complete rebuild of the OL, which is what we desperately need.  Take a WR in round 4 and sign a couple of FAs.

i agree with you. they say the georgia center is as good as tippman. the problem is there is NO way the jets are grabbing 3 ol guys like that. they are stupid. they will get one OL guy then a wr and so on. you might see another ol guy with the last pick. but yea i would grab 2 OL guys early

and as someone pointed out a month ago, if they play on the Oline and they are samoan, take him. YES, take an OL guy based on ethnicity. OMG I must be a terrible racist!!!!! but i am not. These samoans are tough as hell lets go get smart

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Top center was projected to Miami in the first in Dane Brugler’s most recent mock. Second best center is coming off a broken leg and could potentially slide a little.

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

i agree with you. they say the georgia center is as good as tippman. the problem is there is NO way the jets are grabbing 3 ol guys like that. they are stupid. they will get one OL guy then a wr and so on. you might see another ol guy with the last pick. but yea i would grab 2 OL guys early

The Georgia center is not the top center in the class.