If Zach Wilson was forced on JD/Saleh by Woody, why would they WANT Contract Extensions Here?

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Because he wasn’t forced. Douglas wanted to draft Zach Wilson

Multiple reports of Douglas having an ear to ear smile under his mask as he watched Wilson work out on his Pro Day.  To confirm, I saw footage of Douglas being there.  He did.

I can’t blame him, I was happy Wilson was drafted.  I had seen lots of his BYU tape and heard him interviewed at BYU discussing his play on a chalk board.  Came off as very intelligent and “quick on his feet” mentally, exactly what a winning QB needs, intelligence is not enough, decisions in a millisecond is.  He appeared to have both.

He hit passes on his college tape ROUTINELY as opposed to missing those Same throws at the Pro Level.

So incredibly difficult to project these 1st Rd QBs, the larger percentage bust, no matter what their name is.

• Upvote 4

This 'was forced' scenarios is total bs, 100% an excuse to try and make someone look worse.
Woody, Douglas and Saleh were all in on Wilson, he failed and they bailed and went big game hunting.
Wilson is back and they are all in on him again and he fails again.
No one was forced on anyone.

I can get behind the notion that Woody and Douglas were all for Wilson, but I would have to think that Saleh jumped off that wagon early on, if he was ever even on it. He saw up close and personal, both in practices and in the games, that Wilson was God awful. I don't see how he could be team Wilson when Wilson was the guy torpedoing his coaching record, especially the last 2 years.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

So the theory amongst several folks is that Woody is secretly a Dan Snyder, a Owner-as-GM making all (or most, or many) of the main personnel decisions, specifically at QB, with Wilson, and then Rodgers (and Favre and Tebow in the past).

If that is true, and JD and Saleh have suffered because of it, why would either of them want a contract extension here?

Would not any self respecting GM, with two rookie of the year's under his belt, not want out (like his underlings this offseason) to get to a new team and new Owner who isn't a Woody/Snyder type?

Why would Saleh, who's vaunted top 10 Defense has suffered because of utterly inept offense specifically because of the supposed Woody-mandated decisions, want a chance to finish his contract then become a Coaching Free Agent, free to go coach elsewhere, with better Owners, and maybe a decent QB?

Would any of you want to keep working for Woody, if he forced you to take and play Zach Wilson for three seasons?

Food for thought.

I admire your attempt at logic

2 hours ago, bicketybam said:
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:
This 'was forced' scenarios is total bs, 100% an excuse to try and make someone look worse.
Woody, Douglas and Saleh were all in on Wilson, he failed and they bailed and went big game hunting.
Wilson is back and they are all in on him again and he fails again.
No one was forced on anyone.

I can get behind the notion that Woody and Douglas were all for Wilson, but I would have to think that Saleh jumped off that wagon early on, if he was ever even on it. He saw up close and personal, both in practices and in the games, that Wilson was God awful. I don't see how he could be team Wilson when Wilson was the guy torpedoing his coaching record, especially the last 2 years.

plus he kept benching Zach and somehow Zach kept finding his way back to starting.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

to answer the OP question.....

would you as a owner want to hire JD or Saleh after they walked out on there last owner because he was meddling? 

all these owners meddle. hell Jerry Jones doesnt even play and games and calls himself the GM. dealing with a meddling owner is part of the job. and my guess is they like guys who dont give them a hard time in giving them what they want. 

you cant tell me Rodgers wasnt Woody. think about it. JD/Saleh only had to make the playoffs this year. Carr, Minshew, Brissett and maybe another FA QB or 2 could have done that. once they got Rodgers it was SB or AFCCG or this season would be a disappointment. why would they want that kind of pressure?

we have been watching JD for a number of years now and i think we can all agree he favors accumulating draft picks. why would he pick the one guy who would cost his some. and big picks.

and why Rodgers? once he got here they both lost power. who would want to hire a guy under him who would have such influence with your boss that your boss would listen to him over you.? that he could get you fired if he wanted to.

Rodgers was all Woody.

i heard for weeks now how Vrabel, Belichick and Carroll were getting jobs and they didnt. if they didnt get jobs then there is no guarantee that Saleh or JD would. it would be beyond stupid to walk away from 4-5 million dollars.

34 minutes ago, doitny said:

plus he kept benching Zach and somehow Zach kept finding his way back to starting.

Well when you have ZERO alternatives that is what happens.  guys like tim boyle were an atrocity.

People patting saleh on the head due to the QB and letting him off he hook are totally out to lunch.

Owner = bad

GM = worst year for a jets gm in 30 years

Coach = fraud

All are true

• Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

well i guess Zach is really gone now. cause if Woody made this statement and he comes back his fragile confidence they were so worried about for 3 years is gone now for good.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well when you have ZERO alternatives that is what happens.  guys like tim boyle were an atrocity.

People patting saleh on the head due to the QB and letting him off he hook are totally out to lunch.

Owner = bad

GM = worst year for a jets gm in 30 years

Coach = fraud

All are true

GM gets the players and the HC coaches them. regardless of how they got on the team Saleh still won 7 games with these QBs. you cant take that away from him. and thats pretty good.

you can argue who should and who should not have been on this team but he still won 7 games with that garbage.

so yeah he gets a pat on the head. 

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

They'd want to stay because Woody's money is still green. No organization in professional sports is more comfortable meddling in mediocrity than the NY Jets. It is engrained in the culture. 

Winning is an accident thats sometimes happens. Losing is a way of life. Mediocrity is the warm blanket that puts Woody to sleep every night.

We’re not mediocre.   Thats way above us.  Woody is one of the worst owners in sports based on the last 10 years.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

So the theory amongst several folks is that Woody is secretly a Dan Snyder, a Owner-as-GM making all (or most, or many) of the main personnel decisions, specifically at QB, with Wilson, and then Rodgers (and Favre and Tebow in the past).

If that is true, and JD and Saleh have suffered because of it, why would either of them want a contract extension here?

Would not any self respecting GM, with two rookie of the year's under his belt, not want out (like his underlings this offseason) to get to a new team and new Owner who isn't a Woody/Snyder type?

Why would Saleh, who's vaunted top 10 Defense has suffered because of utterly inept offense specifically because of the supposed Woody-mandated decisions, want a chance to finish his contract then become a Coaching Free Agent, free to go coach elsewhere, with better Owners, and maybe a decent QB?

Would any of you want to keep working for Woody, if he forced you to take and play Zach Wilson for three seasons?

Food for thought.

Pay me $5 Mil a year to be Baghdad Bob for the worst team in the league for 3+ years?

Oh, the shame. I have no idea what I would do with myself... after bathing in $100 Bills in my Platinum Jacuzzi while contemplating the fact that my kids and grandkids lives just got soooo much easier...

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Food for thought.

I think everyone is really over reacting to what has transpired the past few years due to the ridiculous history of the organization. I think JD did a good job building this roster and got dealt a bad hand with all the injuries to the OL and having to deal with what amounts to a tremendous bust at QB . Lots of people around the league liked Wilson..... JD was not on an island making some crazy pick at number 2 over all and for all its worth that was the consensus pick at the time and it didn't work out. Then we go out and get Rodgers and he gets hurt 2 minutes into the season. Biggest mistake not getting a good back up and for all we know that could have all been on Woody. 

There are enough FA OL and WR out there this year to turn this around in a heart beat . We already have a number 1 WR and a dynamic RB this team is one WR and a few OL away from not just contention but serious contention. I think Douglas learned a valuable lesson last year and he is good enough to make it right . He knows how to structure contracts he knows how to trade and get maximum value and hopefully now he's learned the importance of getting a good back up and building a solid OL just like he did with the DL . 

This is all very fixable in one offseason because we already have a very good defense in place and some real studs at the skill positions on offense that should be added too this coming year. If this team turns it around quick every single person here on this forum will be right back on the band wagon so for once in your JET lives try and be positive and send some of those positive vibes to the team because positive does make a difference .  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The drafting of Wilson was defensible because you never expect to be picking as high as second overall again and Wilson was a slightly more promising QB prospect than Lance or Fields, so the blame for that is kinda immaterial—they had the two pick and they bet it on a toolsy QB. It happens. It was what happened concurrently and after that points directly at both Douglas and Woody.

1. Going into the 2021 season with no competition for Zach Wilson, effectively guaranteeing him the QB1 job directly out of the gate, which is incomprehensible. If you’ll recall, they ended up having to make a desperation trade for Flacco in late October after letting walk as a free agent after the 2020 season. Whose idea was this? Whose plan was this? Was it part of a negotiation with Team Wilson that he’d have the decks cleared for him to start on Day One? It seems reasonable to put this decision on Douglas, mainly, because you’d think any coach who’s been around a little bit would prefer to have a trustworthy veteran option, at least as a backup. 

2. Locking Wilson into the #2 job uncontested this past year, all the while telling everyone who would listen that Wilson was getting *multiple redshirt seasons* to sit behind Rodgers (which never made sense anyway because of Wilson’s contract situation). Josina Anderson reported that the decision to not bring in a viable #2—even after the Rodgers injury—was because Woody didn’t want to give Douglas another penny to bring in another QB, considering the cost of Rodgers and Wilson. Was Woody this involved that Douglas didn’t have the rope to bring in Flacco? Or was Douglas aiming higher post-injury and wanted the ~$7 million to buy Matt Ryan out of his TV deal? 

Zach is the 3rd highly drafted QB in the Woody Johnson era to start right away without legit competition.  That part was pretty clearly a Woody thing.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zach is the 3rd highly drafted QB in the Woody Johnson era to start right away without legit competition.  That part was pretty clearly a Woody thing.  

We're paying this kid how much?? 

Get him on the field forthwith, then... it'll be fine. I'm not paying these kids to sit around and learn, Hippie.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We're paying this kid how much?? 

Get him on the field forthwith, then... it'll be fine. I'm not paying these kids to sit around and learn, Hippie.

Kids today, they sit around waiting for their trust funds to kick in. When I was a kid I waited around for my trust fund but I still had to cut the lawn.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, doitny said:

well i guess Zach is really gone now. cause if Woody made this statement and he comes back his fragile confidence they were so worried about for 3 years is gone now for good.

Couldn't the same have been argued last offseason when Woody basically said the team was a QB1 away?  Now he's saying ZW wasn't worthy of being a QB2.

5 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Don’t piss off the Woodman:

"As mad as I can be" doesn't actually say how mad that is. For all we know he was just like "I'm disappointed" and that was it