Late Round "Project/Developmental" QB's the Jets Could Take in 2024?

I (and most I think) can see it's pretty clear a win-now-or-get-fired JD/Saleh regime, led by a 41 year old grumpy hippie who hates his team drafting his replacement, will not be drafting a QB at pick #10 in the upcoming NFL Draft.

If you disagree, feel free to make an argument why, it'll be a hoot.

But as the title suggests, there is likely A LOT more room/permissibility for JD to use a late round selection to pick a 3rd string project or developmental QB.

Not to be the Jets #2.  That role absolutely must be filled by a competent veteran of some kind.  Repeating 2023 would be so insane we should not even speak it into being by thinking it.

But that #3 QB spot is vacant.  Zach Wilson is very unlikely to fill that role given all the trade talk (and the fact he's a trash bust, lol).

The other QB's on the roster at seasons end are not prospects, they're barely even NFL-level QB's at this point.

So the question then is this:  Are there any late round QB prospects in the 2024 Draft you want to talk up, or otherwise think would be interesting possibilities to draft as a long-term developmental guy who can sit, and maybe with luck and time and learning, become something some day?

I have a guy who intrigues me, but I'll hold off till many others have hopefully chimed in:

The floor is yours.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I think there are quite a few qb prospects.  It just depends on where the jets are willing to take them.  It could be that Rodgers is way more satisfied with Zach than was let on in the athletic article and might resist a highly rated prospect.  But they need someone.  For back up they can probably roll with siemien again. The free agent QBs seem to be few and far between.

• Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

Teams play chicken with QBs in the draft.  They don't want to invest too much in a developmental QB who may have to sit on the PS.

I think the Jets need to be looking at their best QB available in the 6th round, if not higher.   They should plan on him being on the roster as QB3.  Or QB2 if he can beat out Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Spencer Rattler is on my radar. Maturity issues early in his career but he is absolutely a gun slinger and is a poor man's mahomes imo. 

I like Rattler a lot. But I think he ends up going on Day 2, and we probably aren't looking at QBs before Day 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's at the senior bowl.  I was just watching some clips.  Guess Ulbrich will get a close enough look.

Yeah, hoping that Ulbrich gets some good insight on some sleeper types.

He had a lot of nice things to say about Penix, but his draft price might be too rich for us - we're probably looking more at 6th or 7th round types like Bradley.

Just now, mrcoops said:

Yeah, hoping that Ulbrich gets some good insight on some sleeper types.

He had a lot of nice things to say about Penix, but his draft price might be too rich for us - we're probably looking more at 6th or 7th round types like Bradley.

His outs looked kind of floaty in the clips but almost by design.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

One guy I wouldn’t find at all, as aUVA fan is Brennan Armstrong, who left in the portal last year to go to NC State. Big, mobile athletic guy who can make all the throws. That will probably disqualify him with the Jets.😎

Been bringing his name up on every one of the YT Jet Dude channels. Real Gamer, holds all of the UVA passer records of consequence... But he is NOT "big". He's around 6'1 210

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Sam Hartman should at least be a consideration. Guy has a good head on his shoulders and can generate offense. And he'll likely go in the 5th to 7th round range.

He would have to be much better than he showed at the senior bowl because he was utterly  atrocious in that game.

9 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Spencer Rattler is on my radar. Maturity issues early in his career but he is absolutely a gun slinger and is a poor man's mahomes imo. 

Rattler is who I’d target, which means JD probably ain’t even aware he’s alive.

Big-time prospect who can be had on the cheap.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Sam Hartman should at least be a consideration. Guy has a good head on his shoulders and can generate offense. And he'll likely go in the 5th to 7th round range.

Although he's a bit old to be a rookie, I couldn't agree more. He plays a lot like the person he'd be learning from. He's big , mobile, and good arm strength and accuracy. The bad news is that he probably would start until he's 28.

17 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Calling him a poor man's Mahomes is like calling Christopher Reeves a poor man's Usain Bolt...joking just a bit here.

But I would take Rattler way down in the 6th or 7th round for sure because as you said he does have the tools. 

11 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I honestly think hes undraftable.....noodle arm, UDFA type of guy. I wouldn't waste any pick on him.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Big Snell said:

Although he's a bit old to be a rookie, I couldn't agree more. He plays a lot like the person he'd be learning from. He's big , mobile, and good arm strength and accuracy. The bad news is that he probably would start until he's 28.

Good arm strength really? I fee like he has no velocity or zip and won't be able to complete many passes in the tight window defenses he'd be facing. 

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Pratt is multi-dimensional. Striong arm, cam make all the throws, nice touch, is very mobile, moves well in the pocket. I'm surprised he's being projected to go in Round 4. He'd be perfect to pick up for us and we have 2 4th rounders. 

Now this is a guy I really hope we draft. Stuuuuud traits and long time starter too.

• Upvote 2

Better to draft it next year. Or trade a 4th to Chicago for fields if they’ll take it but they prob could get better for him. 
Trading for Fields seems about right for this org.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• More Ugh 1

Some of the names you'll see floating around for day 3 QBs:

• Michael Pratt 
  • Devin Leary
  • Carter Bradley
  • Jordan Travis

Pratt's the most established, with Jordan Travis looking like lingering Journeyman

If you're looking for deep sleeper who will assuredly be an UDFA but ticks all the boxes of a development prospect, check out Jeremy Moussa from Florida A&M, spent time with Hawaii & Vandy... the problem with virtually all of these guys is that their old as Fck. Most weren't good enough to declare early and have a covid season padded on their eligibility. The whole group is 22-24 years old

Gorgeous release tho

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Carter Bradley, Pratt, maybe Milton? Hartman maybe as udfa. He apparently was terrible at the senior bowl.

Both Milton and Hartman were horrifying in the senior bowl game.

They gave rattler the mvp for throwing like 4 passes on two drives, which was a joke imo

• Haha 2