You’re the GM, what’s your offseason plan?

Trade our first for Davante Adams, sign Bakhtiari to a 3 year contract (mirroring Rodgers), re-sign Cobb, pass on Bowers and bring in Mercedes Lewis, sign Jon Runyan, trade next years second for Aaron Jones to create the best RB room in the NFL.

After that, I ask Aaron Rodgers for a contract extension.

How did I do?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Trade our first for Davante Adams, sign Bakhtiari to a 3 year contract (mirroring Rodgers), re-sign Cobb, pass on Bowers and bring in Mercedes Lewis, sign Jon Runyan, trade next years second for Aaron Jones to create the best RB room in the NFL.

How did I do?

Closest to reality.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine …

1. 3 new OL starters + credible swing tackle.  AVT to remain at guard next year.  Bye Becton

2. Add #2 and #3 WRs

3. Pay a premium for a quality back-up QB

4. Draft a mid round QB to develop.  Fast processor & accurate over elite physical skills

5. Sorry CJ, pay cut or a warm goodbye.  We need help paying for the above ..

6. Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ Laken and Uzomah

7. Trade Zach for anything or pretty much nothing at all just to get him off the roster and save salary

8. Sign a veteran back-up RB who can pass protect & catch

9. Re-sign Morstead and Greg the Leg

10. Now to the Defense.  Franchise & trade Huff for a 2nd rounder or a #2 WR

11. Re-sign Ashtyn to start at SS

12. Add a veteran run stuffing DT (requirements:  fat, ugly, mean)

Draft

Round 1:  OT (2024 starter)

Round 2*: WR (2024 starter)

Round 3:  OT (swing OT)

Round 4:  Guard (backup along w/ Schweitzer)

Round 4:  QB (developmental)

Round 6:  DT

Round 7:  CB

Round 7:  LB

Round 7:  Edge

Free Agency

Starting Tackle ($$$): prioritize Onwenu

Starting WR ($$):  caution not to overpay Higgins.  Assuming Evans is not realistic given price, next tier option who can compete with 2nd round draft pick (assuming for now we can trade Huff)

Starting Guard ($):  a couple quality low cost options like Nick Allegretti who would land a starting gig and be a big upgrade over Tomlinson

The next 2.5 months are critical!  This is where we failed big time last year.

What’s your plan?

man you put alot of thought in to this and if this is what happens alot of good for sure. 

I really like saying good bye to our TE's. let the young guys take over the two of them over paid FA we brought in sucked.

I really hope that we can address the O line, it would be great to get a first rounder that can play right off the bat, even if not all star just starting quality woudl be a big help. Becton, yeah I would be good with saying good bye anbd a couple FA would do us a lot of good. 

I really think we need to address the WR spot, rodgers fixes this over night of course, but just like in Green Bay force feeding the number 1 will get it done but we should give him some help. Lazard is who is always has been and the rest are ok back ups, but we need a solid WR2. Higgin would be fine but will be overpaid. I'd pass. I think he is over rated, but if push comes to shove and we dont ahve any other attainable options, he is worth every single penny if it allows us to help rodgers move the ball. 

WIlson will get open all the time, breece hall will too, but we really need someone else, that can step in and move the chains - i have hope that a TE might do it, but really we need a WR that can move. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine …

1. 3 new OL starters

2. Add #2 and #3 WRs

You are way optimistic about what the Jets can afford this offseason. Huff is not in the budget

4 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Starting WR ($$):  caution not to overpay Higgins.  Assuming Evans is not realistic given price, next tier option who can compete with 2nd round draft pick (assuming for now we can trade Huff)

Starting Guard ($):  a couple quality low cost options like Nick Allegretti who would land a starting gig and be a big upgrade over Tomlinson

What’s your plan?

Higgins is getting franchised he's not a $$ he's a $$$$

Nick Allegretti needs Tommy John surgery. 

Aaron Rodgers doesn't want a young QB on the roster with any upside in fact if they spend on QB2 then QB3 will be an unpaid internship (practice squad) 

I like where your head's at but the Jets will be able to make half these moves if that 

and don't think we didn't notice the Jets trading back from 10 for a 2nd round. That's highly optimistic as well. it requires a QB or someone amazing to fall to 10

• Upvote 1

Defense: Resign Huff, Ashtyn, Quinton Jefferson. Restructure Mosley, sign MC II to a long term contract.

Offense: sign two veteran tackles (Bahktari, Becton, Smith, Wynn, Fant). Bring in a WR (Ridley, Higgins, Evans, Davante) 

Draft: Take BEST offensive player available (one of the tackles, Odunze, Nabers, Bowers, maybe a QB?! Daniels, Maye, McCarthy?!). 

that’d be my general attack play for this offseason. Not sure if we can make it happen cap wise etc. it’d be a lot of $$$ we’d be handing out

• Upvote 1

• Fill needs in FA-we basically pay $1mm/year more than market. 
    • OTs-I would go with more bodies for less money so we can draft a WR
    • OG
    • WR
    • DT
    • LB
  • In draft, draft best available players we really need
    • OT
    • WR-I think WR is where the impact player could be.  
    • DT
    • LB
    • S
  • Try to monetize Huff, but I think it is futeless.  We should just take the 2025 comp pick.  
  • Restructure Mosley, cut CJO and LT-we need money to pay for door 1.
  • Trade Zach Wilson to the team willing to take the most of his salary-ditto.
  • Go cheap on QB2-if AR8 goes down, let the CS go down with him.  

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Very fair point and I agree it is high risk.  But it’s recently been done several times at the Edge position:

1. Dee Ford

2. Frank Clark

3. Jadeveon Clowney

4. Yannick Ngakoue

The average price was roughly a 2nd to 3rd rounder.

Teams will consider how strong the draft is at Edge because these guys tend not to hit unrestricted free agency.  Sometimes, yes but not common.

Yes, a team can try to force the Jets into letting Huff walk but they risk competing with more teams to sign him.  Outcome here is they risk losing him or overpaying on the open market.

So a team considers this against what the Jets are asking for.

Their choice is:

1. Use their own 1st or 2nd rounder to draft an unknown

2. Collude with other teams in forcing the Jets hand and then compete against each other.  Higher risk of losing out or overpaying on a contract 

3. Trade a 2nd rounder for a surer thing with upside (26 years old in April) and negotiate a fair contract that is not driven by over competition 

This is business analysis, something the Jets aren’t good at.  I’m 49 and semi retired so this is something I’ve done for years before selling my business.  It actually works ;)

Now I know why your posts are logical. I hope you are right about the "game theory" here. But if no one makes an offer before the tag deadline, I don't want to risk how things spool out under the task. Maybe that says more about my risk tolerance than reality, but so be it.

• Upvote 1

My Comedy Plan:

1. Retain Zach Wilson

Trade Down from #10

2. Draft Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State (who I really do like, actually) in the late 2nd.

3. Draft Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan in the 3rd.

Have Wilson throwing to Wilson, Wilson and Wilson in 2024.

Don't get me wrong, Penix to Kuntz is still something I'd love to hear an NFL Broadcaster have to playcall, but the law firm of Wilson, Wilson, Wilson & Wilson would be pretty damn funny to me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My Comedy Plan:

1. Retain Zach Wilson

Trade Down from #10

2. Draft Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State (who I really do like, actually) in the late 2nd.

3. Draft Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan in the 3rd.

Have Wilson throwing to Wilson, Wilson and Wilson in 2024.

Don't get me wrong, Penix to Kuntz is still something I'd love to hear an NFL Broadcaster have to playcall, but the law firm of Wilson, Wilson, Wilson & Wilson would be pretty damn funny to me. 

And if you don't want to keep Zach Wilson, trade him and Russel Wilson straight up. Zach Wilson gets to live right next to Utah with an offensive coach, Sean Payton doesn't need to deal with Russ anymore, the Jets get a better QB and still get Wilson, Wilson, Wilson, and Wilson, and the only people angry are Broncos fans and the Denver OL and WRs

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mine …

1. 3 new OL starters + credible swing tackle.  AVT to remain at guard next year.  Bye Becton

2. Add #2 and #3 WRs

4. Draft a mid round QB to develop.  Fast processor & accurate over elite physical skills

5. Sorry CJ, pay cut or a warm goodbye.  We need help paying for the above ..

6. Don’t let the door hit you in the a$$ Laken and Uzomah

7. Trade Zach for anything or pretty much nothing at all just to get him off the roster and save salary

8. Sign a veteran back-up RB who can pass protect & catch

9. Re-sign Morstead and Greg the Leg

11. Re-sign Ashtyn to start at SS

12. Add a veteran run stuffing DT (requirements:  fat, ugly, mean)

Draft

Round 1:  OT (2024 starter)

Round 2*: WR (2024 starter)

Round 3:  OT (swing OT)

Round 4:  Guard (backup along w/ Schweitzer)

Round 4:  QB (developmental)

Round 6:  DT

Round 7:  CB

Round 7:  LB

Round 7:  Edge

Free Agency

What’s your plan?

This is solid, and I think a lot of fan's plans resemble something close to this. However, the big question for you is - who is playing LT next year. Onwenu is not a LT and it does not look like we will land Alt or Fashanu. 

Of all the priorities, with O-line being at the very top - LT is the biggest concern. Odds are we will have a good chance to draft Fuaga, Latham, Mims or another T and literally plug him in at RT. Guys who have the talent and experience at the position to be solid starters in year 1 at RT. But not LT. We need a vet on the left side and that will be hard to find. I wouldn't wave goodbye to Becton so fast. 

One guy to keep an eye on is Alaric Jackson. A decent NFL starter at LT. That is a guy I would target in FA. A guy we would probably have to overpay, but a guy worth bringing in as starter just so we have the position locked down for 2024.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

You are way optimistic about what the Jets can afford this offseason. Huff is not in the budget

Higgins is getting franchised he's not a $$ he's a $$$$

Nick Allegretti needs Tommy John surgery. 

Aaron Rodgers doesn't want a young QB on the roster with any upside in fact if they spend on QB2 then QB3 will be an unpaid internship (practice squad) 

I like where your head's at but the Jets will be able to make half these moves if that 

and don't think we didn't notice the Jets trading back from 10 for a 2nd round. That's highly optimistic as well. it requires a QB or someone amazing to fall to 10

I wrote that I’m assuming the Jets trade Huff for a 2nd … not keep him or trade down.  Then followed up with why they’ll be able to move him.  

I wrote don’t overpay for a Higgins who isn’t worth that and instead go to next tier down. 

I as the GM disagree with Rodgers on a mid round QB.  I’m taking one to sit and learn from Rodgers.  It’s my job to act like a GM :)

Thanks for the update on Allegretti, didn’t know that.  

This is of course fantasy world but I wanted to clarify my positions before I’m fired!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is solid, and I think a lot of fan's plans resemble something close to this. However, the big question for you is - who is playing LT next year. Onwenu is not a LT and it does not look like we will land Alt or Fashanu. 

Of all the priorities, with O-line being at the very top - LT is the biggest concern. Odds are we will have a good chance to draft Fuaga, Latham, Mims or another T and literally plug him in at RT. Guys who have the talent and experience at the position to be solid starters in year 1 at RT. But not LT. We need a vet on the left side and that will be hard to find. I wouldn't wave goodbye to Becton so fast. 

One guy to keep an eye on is Alaric Jackson. A decent NFL starter at LT. That is a guy I would target in FA. A guy we would probably have to overpay, but a guy worth bringing in as starter just so we have the position locked down for 2024.  

Very good point.  My assumption was that our first rounder would start at LT.

if not, you are right ..  it needs to be considered in FA.

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Defense: Resign Huff, Ashtyn, Quinton Jefferson. Restructure Mosley, sign MC II to a long term contract.

Offense: sign two veteran tackles (Bahktari, Becton, Smith, Wynn, Fant). Bring in a WR (Ridley, Higgins, Evans, Davante) 

Draft: Take BEST offensive player available (one of the tackles, Odunze, Nabers, Bowers, maybe a QB?! Daniels, Maye, McCarthy?!). 

that’d be my general attack play for this offseason. Not sure if we can make it happen cap wise etc. it’d be a lot of $$$ we’d be handing out

Love the part about Carter II.  One of the best slot corners in the league.

• Upvote 1

We are saddled/committed to the present coaching staff this coming year unfortunately so I will not touch that.

I will not be going into a dollar in dollar out salary cap analysis but will rather list guys to go out and FAs to go after.

Out:

Let Becton walk, he showed more durability this year and his conditioning was much better but he just is not good enough for the price.

Let Bryce Huff walk, I like the player we should have extended him last year but the jets didn't and now he is going to cost a premium price.  We have to take the money we could give to him and move that to the offensive side of the ball.

Cut CJ Mosley - 17 million cap savings

Cut Laken Thomlinson  - 13 million cap savings

Cut CJ Uzomah - 8 million cap savings

Restructure John Franklin Myers - 9 million cap savings

Many Jets experts want to keep guys like Mosley and Thomlinson and restructure them as well.  This is a mistake.  I feel you should never restructure poor players who are not going to get better and not restructure positions that are easily replaced.  Pushing liabilities down the road for bad players and easily replaced positions is just a bad idea.   Tomlinson is bad, get rid of him.  ILB's that just make tackles are the easiest thing in the NFL to replace, cheap trades, cheap FAs or later round draft picks.  As for the whole 'leadership!' bellowing?  A week into camp we will have a new leader of the defense.

Possible FA in:

QB - Jacoby Brissett - Best option for us, a vet pro that has been good in that role basically everywhere he has gone.

WR - Tyler Boyd - Cincy will retain Higgins but that leaves Boyd.  A consistent smart versatile WR, he is what Lazard was supposed to be.

WR - Mike Williams - This one will make people screech in horror due to his injury history and justifiably so.  I think he is a cap casualty for the Chargers and a fairly cheap one year deal would be offered.   When not hurt he is an exceptional tall red zone target.

OT/OG - Andrus Peat - A versatile vet that can play all along the line has been a pro bowl guard but has also played LT

OG/C - Cody Whitehair - Just cut by the Bears as a cap casualty but a pro bowler in the past.   More versatility, can play G or C

ILB - Jordan Hicks - ILB that makes tackles.  Much much cheaper than Mosley.

SS - Kyle Duggar - Always liked this guy from the Pats replaces White head who will go elsewhere.

Draft:

One player will have a huge impact on the Jets draft, that being Brock Bowers.  If he goes before 10 we have a good shot at one of the LT's.  If not we are looking at a RT like Fuaga or a trade down.   Joel Klatt made comments in his first mock that mirror my thoughts, that Bowers will be a good fit for the Chargers and Harbaugh so that is where he will go in this scenario.  Here is the mock draft.

10 - OT - Olu Fashanu - Penn State, (prototypical LT should be able to play right away)

72 - WR - Jalen McMillian - Washington, Smooth WR falls to the 3rd round due to injures last year.

102 - WR - Jamari Thrash - Lousiville, could be a steal here.  Yes we need to double dip at WR regardless of what we do in FA

113 - DT - Maason Smith - LSU,  We do need a DT in this draft, I think this is good value here

186 - RB - Dillon Johnson - Washington, a we need another RB and Johnson has a lot of heart and can do a lot of things.

252 - QB - Devin Leary - Kentucky, Not my fav QB prospect but I could not get the mid round guys I liked earlier.  Might be a James Morgan type of guy but at least he is a 7th round pick and has played a lot of college ball.

253 - OG - Mason McKormick SD State,  played a lot of years and looked good at the shrine bowl.

256 - LB - Jackson Mitchell - U Conn, Our annual late round small linebacker pick.

2 hours ago, Alworth said:

Now I know why your posts are logical. I hope you are right about the "game theory" here. But if no one makes an offer before the tag deadline, I don't want to risk how things spool out under the task. Maybe that says more about my risk tolerance than reality, but so be it.

Very fair!  My hope is that JD gets a sense of the market to properly evaluate the risk before making a final decision.  Would expect him to have some hypothetical discussions with other GMs as well.

For as bad as JD was last offseason and whether you agree or disagree with trading for Rodgers, JD did read his market well and was able to acquire him at a fairly reasonable price considering Rodgers gave back ~$35M and intends to be here for a total of 3 or so years.

Meaning it wasn’t the 1 year rental that would leave us in salary cap hell that some divas on here cried it would be.

His read on Huff’s market will be critical.  

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree.

I wouldn't necessarily tear the entire roster down, we have pieces worth keeping.  

But I would dump the GM, Coaches and old rent-a-QB without any hesitation.

i.e. the "Rodgers will just fix everything" theory.

Maybe you're right, we'll see.  Lord knows this is what JD himself was banking on in 2023, and is again, more so, in 2024.

I don't believe this will work out, I predict that post-injury 41 year old Rodgers is going to be an old, slow, average QB at best, and we'll again be a middling 7-9 win team, and Rodgers will subsequently not play here in 2025 at age 42, and we'll be in full teardown mode under a new GM anyway after JD and Saleh are not extended.

Hell, at this point, even if JD/Saleh make the playoffs as a wildcard, I don't extend either.  I have no faith in either to build a champion roster or team.

Safe to say I don't hold JD's picks in as high regard as you as well.  His best picks (Wilson and Hall) were picks I literally made here on JN before he did, and I'm no GM.  I think Sauce is very over-rated (he's good, not great, so far).  Most of his picks (especially in FA but also the draft) are JAG level at best, or extremely fragile (AVT, Becton), or just average (Johnson) or TBD (McDonald, a horrible luxury pick when real needs existed and could have been filled) or flat out busts (Wilson, Mims, Moore because of Wilson, etc.).  But of course, as so often happens, Jets fans consistently inflate these picks to more than they are and ignore the wasteland of bad FA pickups and non-1st round roster-fillers-JAGs.

First off it’s not fair to criticize his mistakes then not give him credit for his good picks . Sauce and Garrett Wilson were the respective Offensive and Defensive rookie of the years. Also you conveniently left off Jermaine Johnson and Breece Hall as his next two picks in that draft. 
The Jets won 7 games with perhaps the worst QB room in league which also tells us their talent may be better than you are giving credit for.

And please drop the condescending tone about overvaluing Jets  players because we are fans. Everyone is entitled to opinions, including you.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

First off it’s not fair to criticize his mistakes then not give him credit for his good picks . Sauce and Garrett Wilson were the respective Offensive and Defensive rookie of the years. Also you conveniently left off Jermaine Johnson and Breece Hall as his next two picks in that draft. 

Didn't leave Hall off, I specifically mentioned him.  Again, JD doesn't get bonus points for picking two guys I would have picked and advocated for picking (at those same spots) a year before he picked them.  If my dumb ass could see how obvious those picks were.....

As also mentioned, Sauce (IMO) is overrated.  And JJ is an average NFL edge, nothing special (yet).  Perfect example of Jets Fans hyperventilating to make a Roleplayer/JAG into something special.

The Jets won 7 games with perhaps the worst QB room in league which also tells us their talent may be better than you are giving credit for.

Remind me why that QB room was the worst in the NFL in JD's 5th season as GM?  

And please drop the condescending tone about overvaluing Jets  players because we are fans. 

Naaaa. 

When (some) fans stop trying to turn average-replacement-level players into all-pros with the usual massive fan-hyperbole, I'll stop making fun of them for it.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, since my gif could come across as flippant, that I 100% would have blown up the Jets this offseason.

Joe Douglas, Saleh and his entire staff would have been fired.

Not sure who I would have hired as GM (do fans generally know/scout GM's who are available?  I don't think so).  

But Head Coach, maybe Vrabel, with Frank Reich as his O-Co perhaps?  You take a run at Harbaugh and the linke, but odds are we're not getting the top guy(s).  These two are/were doable IMO. 

Bellichick was not even a consideration for me.

Rodgers would be asked to retire, restructure, find a trade partner, or he'd just be gone (cap hit sucks, but we're gonna pay it one way or the other).  

I draft a QB at #10 overall (they'll be one there I'm sure).  Not ideal, but a start.

Sooner the rebuild starts, the sooner we may get to consistent, repeatable, competitiveness.

Instead, we're looking at another "one year hope for it all" with Rodgers, likely followed by a total tear down when it inevitably fails to work with a 41 year old, now twice injured in his past two seasons, old HOF QB costing us a fortune.

I want to start fixing the JD-ties-to-save-his-own-ass mistakes as soon as is possible, i.e. right now.  No matter how much it hurts/crushes the 2024 team.  Rodgers and Saleh and JD are not the recipe for long term competitiveness.

100% my thoughts

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

How did I do?

Close to kill myself territory

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

I should be clear, since my gif could come across as flippant, that I 100% would have blown up the Jets this offseason.

Joe Douglas, Saleh and his entire staff would have been fired.

Not sure who I would have hired as GM (do fans generally know/scout GM's who are available?  I don't think so).  

But Head Coach, maybe Vrabel, with Frank Reich as his O-Co perhaps?  You take a run at Harbaugh and the linke, but odds are we're not getting the top guy(s).  These two are/were doable IMO. 

Bellichick was not even a consideration for me.

Rodgers would be asked to retire, restructure, find a trade partner, or he'd just be gone (cap hit sucks, but we're gonna pay it one way or the other).  

I draft a QB at #10 overall (they'll be one there I'm sure).  Not ideal, but a start.

Sooner the rebuild starts, the sooner we may get to consistent, repeatable, competitiveness.

Instead, we're looking at another "one year hope for it all" with Rodgers, likely followed by a total tear down when it inevitably fails to work with a 41 year old, now twice injured in his past two seasons, old HOF QB costing us a fortune.

I want to start fixing the JD-ties-to-save-his-own-ass mistakes as soon as is possible, i.e. right now.  No matter how much it hurts/crushes the 2024 team.  Rodgers and Saleh and JD are not the recipe for long term competitiveness.

This, for sure, but I’d probably ride it out for a year with Rodgers and hope Vrabel keeps him in line. I don’t need Vrabel to win titles in years one and two, but I need him to reassert some sense of purpose in the organization because, right now, this is a meandering, directionless, leaderless franchise. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Love the part about Carter II.  One of the best slot corners in the league.

Yeah man I’d try to lock him up this offseason that way we don’t have another Huff situation on our hands next year 

• Upvote 1

If I’m JD, I fire the entire CS without Woody’s approval. And then Woody fires me. Win win. 

Find the best Madden manager and let him become the Jets GM. I swear he’ll be better than our current crop of horsesh*t. 

• Haha 1