Next few weeks are critical .. what are your predictions?

February 20 - March 5:  Franchise tag window 

March 11 - March 13:  Legal tampering where deals can be consummated but not official

March 13:  Free agent deals & trades can become official

Last year was pretty much sitting on the sidelines until Aaron Rodgers was official.  Yes, we signed Lazard, a couple reserve OL and ended up missing on guys like Orlando Brown Jr and Fletcher Cox.

But everything seemed secondary to luring AR.

This year is JD’s last stance … 

Predictions

1. Bryce Huff is franchised & traded, despite the Jets cap position.  There will be at least 1 team willing to trade for him rather than betting on him becoming a free agent and then risk losing out on a bidding war

** 2nd round pick or starting WR **

2. CJ Uzomah & Laken Tomlinson are released

3. CJ Mosley accepts salary cut from $17M to $10M

4. John Franklin Myers accepts salary cut from $13.3M to $8.3M.

Jets would otherwise save net $7.3M releasing him but would likely need to pay up to $5M replacing him (quality reserve edge as McDonald expected to take big leap).

JFM takes the guaranteed salary and stability rather than risking lower in the market.  

5.  Zach Wilson is traded for a 7th round pick.  Jets agree to eat half of his ~$5.5M salary and roster bonus.  The Jets want him off their roster ASAP ..

So 5 big moves setting up free agency and then the draft.

What do you predict? 

• Upvote 2

David Bakhtiari will be a Jet and I think it’s a good idea, hear me out. He has had five surgeries in three years, the Packers are going to cut him. I think we can get him for 5 million, maybe tie salary into availability. 

Don’t count on him, but he can be a low risk high ceiling signing. If, big if, he is healthy. He is still a very good pass protecting left tackle.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I can't see the Huff scenario playing out, the franchise tag is very high, no team is going to pay him his franchised salary AND give up a 2nd rounder for a part time pass rusher.   He will go to FA and sign with another team.  The Jets will make him a decent offer but I do not think he is back.  They should have dealt him at the deadline last year like the Commanders did with Sweat and Young.

I agree on Uzoamah and Thomlinson fate.

Mosley and JFM are not going to just accept salary cuts however the Jets will stupidly restructure both contracts pushing the cap liability into the future.

Wilson will get dealt for something like Wilson and a 2025 6th for a 2024 5th

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, David Harris said:

David Bakhtiari will be a Jet and I think it’s a good idea, hear me out. He has had five surgeries in three years, the Packers are going to cut him. I think we can get him for 5 million, maybe tie salary into availability. 

Don’t count on him, but he can be a low risk high ceiling signing. If, big if, he is healthy. He is still a very good pass protecting left tackle.

I think he is also coming to jets. Would love to see him two other OT one vet one rookie. 

50 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Why would they cut him when they know JD is furiously pleasuring himself to the idea of giving up a 1st round pick for him and knows he has Rodgers approval for it?

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Could Huff get transition tag?

Also too risky, 17.5 million if I am not mistaken.  We are not paying him that much.  Or at least we shouldn't

We are hooped re Huff, the time to extend or was before last year, the time to trade was deadline last year.

Douglas is not going to keep will McDonald who serves the same function at like 15% of snaps per game next year.

The moment we drafted mcdonald was the moment the jets had decided huff was a goner.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Also too risky, 17.5 million if I am not mistaken.  We are not paying him that much.  Or at least we shouldn't

We are hooped re Huff, the time to extend or was before last year, the time to trade was deadline last year.

Douglas is not going to keep will McDonald who serves the same function at like 15% of snaps per game next year.

The moment we drafted mcdonald was the moment the jets had decided huff was a goner.

I think Huff gets $20 million/year on the open market pretty easy. 17.5 million for one season while we have Rodgers isn't unreasonable at all if it's something we can do.

Gonna be a lot of chasing windmills—Jets trading for Aiyuk?? Jets trading up for Alt?? Jets at JJ McCarthy’s pro day?! Jets like Odunze?!?! End of the day it’ll all be for naught. The surprise cut will be JFM. The surprise signing will be something like Dalton Schultz. They’ll give too much money to Bakhtiari and Tannehill and draft Fuaga, which, fine. Presume they’ll fill out the receiving corps with dead enders like Hunter Renfrow. Draft will end up veering defense-heavy. Safety, DT, another LB. Zach traded during the draft for a late round pick swap with some conditional aspect attached. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Apparently the most recent procedure he had fixed what was the underlining problem for years. Low cost with bonus incentives and still draft a LT to take over in a year or two makes a lot of sense.

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Huff gets $20 million/year on the open market pretty easy. 17.5 million for one season while we have Rodgers isn't unreasonable at all if it's something we can do.

Oh I'd take that bet, he is not getting 20 million.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Huff’s market looks something like Yannick Ngakoue‘s the past couple of years. Short deals and $10-$13M per year.

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would be surprised to see Huff get that kind of $ in FA.   You could be right and it will be interesting to see what happens but I just don't see it.  

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I can't see the Huff scenario playing out, the franchise tag is very high, no team is going to pay him his franchised salary AND give up a 2nd rounder for a part time pass rusher.   He will go to FA and sign with another team.  The Jets will make him a decent offer but I do not think he is back.  They should have dealt him at the deadline last year like the Commanders did with Sweat and Young.

I agree on Uzoamah and Thomlinson fate.

Mosley and JFM are not going to just accept salary cuts however the Jets will stupidly restructure both contracts pushing the cap liability into the future.

Wilson will get dealt for something like Wilson and a 2025 6th for a 2024 5th

A couple counterpoints..

1. The team that would trade for Huff would negotiate a long term contract just as teams did for Frank Clark, Jadeveon Clowney, Dee Ford, Yannick Ngakoue.  And when the Raiders traded for Davante Adams when GB didn’t have cap space.  

2. They might if the Jets are serious about cutting them and the market wouldn’t come close to their current pay.

I think the early moves will be to finally deal with Zach, cut uzomah, restructure jfm and Moseley, cut players like Cobb.  I’m not sold on Tomlinson being launched before June 1 unless they land a decent free agent.  Hard to say what huff will do.  It’s doubtful he’s going to get really big money but he may also not want to stay with the jets even if they match his offer.  The other things are to re-sign their own free agents like hardee and Davis.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gonna be a lot of chasing windmills—Jets trading for Aiyuk?? Jets trading up for Alt?? Jets at JJ McCarthy’s pro day?! Jets like Odunze?!?! End of the day it’ll all be for naught. The surprise cut will be JFM. The surprise signing will be something like Dalton Schultz. They’ll give too much money to Bakhtiari and Tannehill and draft Fuaga, which, fine. Presume they’ll fill out the receiving corps with dead enders like Hunter Renfrow. Draft will end up veering defense-heavy. Safety, DT, another LB. Zach traded during the draft for a late round pick swap with some conditional aspect attached. 

The Jets not drafting offense has spanned several regimes. Any theories?

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

IMHO, at this point in his career, the only thing you can count on with him is taking up a spot on the IL.

No thanks.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This. JD refuses to offer $1 more than the “value” he assigns a free agent. They will easily be outbid on anyone decent and we’ll end up with a crop of useless, roster spot occupying bums from free agency. Hopefully they’re in a position to trade down in the draft and recoup some capital to stock the oline with young, decent talent.

Jets will be linked to every free agent but will only sign a few. It’ll be an underwhelming class for NYJ something like Bahktiari, Tonyan, Zeitler and a cheaper WR is my guess (Chark or MVS) Jets will draft an OT in the first round and then all the other picks will be dog sh*t 

• Haha 2

I see a lot of speculation that someone will trade for Huff so as not to have to enter into a bidding war for him in FA. But teams will value draft picks far more than cap space - especially those team for whom cap space is less of an issue.

Overpaying the guy now and keeping your 2nd round pick will be far preferable to saving a couple of million dollars on the cap. IMHO.  

48 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

why would mosley agree to lose 7m when he is 1 step from retirement?

Jets could cut him and he would outright lose his $17M non guaranteed salary.

Then he would go to the market and quickly find out he’s not getting a $17M salary at 32 years old (this June) with declining athletics abilities.

This really isn’t rocket science.  So the Jets create a scenario where he remains with the team and is still paid a $10M salary, which I estimate is a premium on what he would get elsewhere.

Bobby Wagner, 33 (last June) and coming off a very good year, got a 1 year $7M deal last year signing back with Seattle.  $5.5M guaranteed.

Many would argue Wagner is the better inside LB at this point in their careers.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I see a lot of speculation that someone will trade for Huff so as not to have to enter into a bidding war for him in FA. But teams will value draft picks far more than cap space - especially those team for whom cap space is less of an issue.

Overpaying the guy now and keeping your 2nd round pick will be far preferable to saving a couple of million dollars on the cap. IMHO.  

Probably but that assumes they can get him on the open market when other teams might take a similar strategy.

Franchise and trade has happened many times in recent years so this is not a new concept.

That said, the Jets are the Jets and have not put themselves in a position of strength nor should they give any of us the confidence to get this right.  

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets not drafting offense has spanned several regimes. Any theories?

Because as we now (or at least I) realize is that the Jets’ GM/Scouts just write reports.  The coaches and Woody direct the draft picks.   the defensive HC will want his defense to look good.  They also understand the defensive players better.  

Adam Gase apparently directed the Denzel Mims pick.  He actually played his best his rookie year before Gase got launched.