Jets Trade for Morgan Moses

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Why would they (Ravens)make this trade? 

He is an average right tackle.  That is why the Jets let him leave.  

So, why do the Jets want him back?

Easy answer.  The Jets have been decimated on their offensive line, and they need some stability.  AVT can be plugged back into right guard, with Schwitzer as the backup.  Tippman at center, and Simpson at left guard.  We still need a starting left tackle, which will be addressed in round 1.  

Max and Warren are the tackle backups.  Schwitzer is the guard backup. Add the 4 other starters, and add a tackle for the 1st round pick, and you have 8 offensive linemen who you can count on.  I think the Jets will keep 10 Offensive linemen, so my guess is we get at least one developmental guard in round 3 or 4.  1 more from the players we already have on the roster.

Moses just turned 33 years old, and my sense is he is a 2 year placeholder.  Next year, we will draft a right tackle, unless Warren proves that he can be the starting right tackle.  It would be great if Warren can win the job from Morgan this year, and have Morgan as the backup to Warren, but that remains to be seen.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Clueless because we got a starting RT with only a $5.5m cap hit? Not sure why people don’t like this move?

I like the move, the point is that they allowed him to leave for nothing while we had 500lbs Becton.

Its actually the best move they made this FA, but also shows who they are.

• Upvote 2

That seems to be a smart use of assets while filling a major need ahead of the draft.

Also, low trade cost but smart for the cap when FA cost has skyrocketed.

Jets know him well, he’s graded out well the past couple of years.

A durable veteran presence.  

IMO this makes WR a legitimate option for round 1 provided they go out and get a LT in free agency 

Why is that a good thing?  1st round WRs have the best success rate and have become major contributors in their first year.

I did a study last year that showed OTs took longer to develop.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Assuming Moses is our starting RT... Does AVT stay at RG now or do we consider shooting him to LT? He can play there.

It might be a better idea to keep him at RG and take a look at Tyron Smith or a trade for Cam Robinson though

I'd say the vision they have, if any is that Moses starts at RT, AVT at RG, Tipp at Center, Simpson at LG and their draft pick starts at LT.  Probably still going to bring in Bakhtiari as a depth pice for a short term low money contract. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Drafting well so they didn't have to do this silly sh*t would be a good start.

Well, until Woody J discovers time travel, we have to work with what we have. ;-) 

Better to sign castoffs from winning teams than castoffs from losing teams.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Its not really bitching when you're pointing facts, this fo is clueless and it shows even more after this.

Yes it is when you don't consider all the facts at the time..See above

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

He is an average right tackle.  That is why the Jets let him leave.  

So, why do the Jets want him back?

Easy answer.  The Jets have been decimated on their offensive line, and they need some stability.  AVT can be plugged back into right guard, with Schwitzer as the backup.  Tippman at center, and Simpson at left guard.  We still need a starting left tackle, which will be addressed in round 1.  

Max and Warren are the tackle backups.  Schwitzer is the guard backup. Add the 4 other starters, and add a tackle for the 1st round pick, and you have 8 offensive linemen who you can count on.  I think the Jets will keep 10 Offensive linemen, so my guess is we get at least one developmental guard in round 3 or 4.  1 more from the players we already have on the roster.

Moses just turned 33 years old, and my sense is he is a 2 year placeholder.  Next year, we will draft a right tackle, unless Warren proves that he can be the starting right tackle.  It would be great if Warren can win the job from Morgan this year, and have Morgan as the backup to Warren, but that remains to be seen.

I believe it’s a one year placeholder he’s on the last year of his contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I’m thinking either they trade back in round 1 and consider guys like penix and nix either later round 1 or early 2, or, they’re squarely all in on a top 4 qb and are considering using next year’s draft picks to get a top prospect and assume that in 2025 that guy is the clear starter. 

Ulbrich got to coach Penix at the Senior Bowl, and seemed to love him.  The Jets have been scouting Nix heavily recently.  You could be onto something here.

I don't like the idea of trading next year's picks, though.  The move down and take a Penix, I could get on board with.

Just now, mrcoops said:

Ulbrich got to coach Penix at the Senior Bowl, and seemed to love him.  The Jets have been scouting Nix heavily recently.  You could be onto something here.

I don't like the idea of trading next year's picks, though.  The move down and take a Penix, I could get on board with.

They also met with the top 3 qbs at the combine.  I think the only one they haven’t met with is mccarthy.  But they’re probably not sniffing the top 3 qbs anyway.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hope the plan isn't to count on the Green Bay guy. He makes Becton seem durable. 

I like this move though, like you said the price isn't terrible. He is old but they are filling holes, and they should have never let him go.

I think JD should bring in Bakhtiari, but only as a depth piece.  Their LT is going to come from the draft.  Fashanu or, Fuaga if they think Fuaga can play at LT.  Perhaps Mimms.  They could trade down a few spots in round one and still get Mimms.  Perhaps get a number two pick this year for such a trade down.  As long as they dont draft Latham. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Correct me if I'm wrong..Jets still had Becton & Fant in '22 slated to start.  Moses saw opportunity for starting gig w/Ravens...

Yes - Becton re-injured his knee but that was during training camp.

On March 16, 2022, Moses signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Baltimore Ravens

Right and Moses are arguably the best player of the three.

I "get it" with regard to letting him go just saying letting an OL go "because we have Mekhi Becton" was clearly not the right move.

• Upvote 1

Morgan-Moses.jpg

Desperate for help along the offensive line, the New York Jets are welcoming tackle Morgan Moses back to 1 Jets Drive.  The trade was reported by NFL insider Mike Garofolo.

Morgan Moses: 84.6 PFF Grade since 2020

His 88.4 run-blocking grade during that time ranks 6th among all Tackles

😤 pic.twitter.com/6D7WmQIr0t

— PFF NY Jets (@PFF_Jets) March 13, 2024

The 33-year-old Moses has had quite the resurgence in Baltimore since leaving the Jets following the conclusion of the 2021 season.

To acquire Moses the Jets swapped fourth-round picks in this year’s draft and included their own sixth-rounder.

Having already signed left guard John Simpson, the trade for Moses leaves just one hole on the offensive line which is of course left tackle.  In a deep class the Jets could be looking at trying to land one of Joe Alt, Olu Fashanu to fill that spot.

The post Trade: Jets Bring Back Tackle Morgan Moses appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'd say the vision they have, if any is that Moses starts at RT, AVT at RG, Tipp at Center, Simpson at LG and their draft pick starts at LT.  Probably still going to bring in Bakhtiari as a depth pice for a short term low money contract. 

If they bring in Bakhtiari he will 100% be the starter if he's on the field.  Warren is a good enough young developmental piece to sit and develop behind him.  No way would they waste a 10th overall on an insurance policy/future investment.  That pick is going to play, and if they sign Bakhtiari I'll bet my left nut that it ain't gonna be an OT.  

For me - again, assuming we sign Bakhtiari or some other veteran LT - 10th overall will be Bowers, a QB, or a trade down for a WR.  Outside shot we deal it(plus a lot more, I'm sure) for a WR like JJ.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right and Moses are arguably the best player of the three.

I "get it" with regard to letting him go just saying letting an OL go "because we have Mekhi Becton" was clearly not the right move.

He left!! smh

On March 16, 2022, Moses signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Baltimore Ravens

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

That seems to be a smart use of assets while filling a major need ahead of the draft.

IMO this makes WR a legitimate option for round 1 provided they go out and get a LT in free agency 

Why is that a good thing?  1st round WRs have the best success rate and have become major contributors in their first year.

I did a study last year that showed OTs took longer to develop.

I wish you were right, but I don't see it.  Signing a quality left tackle will cost you around $20M per year.   Signing a lower level placeholder will only ensure that you will still need to draft possibly 2 offensive tackles next year.

The deepest position group in the draft is at offensive tackle, and if the Jets don't get one, then they will lose out completely, since they have no pick in round 2.

If the Jets were to move on a top left tackle this offseason, they would have already made that move.  

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If they bring in Bakhtiari he will 100% be the starter if he's on the field.  Warren is a good enough young developmental piece to sit and develop behind him.  No way would they waste a 10th overall on an insurance policy/future investment.  That pick is going to play, and if they sign Bakhtiari I'll bet my left nut that it ain't gonna be an OT.  

For me - again, assuming we sign Bakhtiari or some other veteran LT - 10th overall will be Bowers, a QB, or a trade down for a WR.  Outside shot we deal it(plus a lot more, I'm sure) for a WR like JJ.

If JD brings in Bakhtiara with the idea that he will be a starter, 2024 is doomed.  He can't be that dense.  I would love Bowers, but he'll be long gone.  Only Joe Alt and MHJ are more valuable than Bowers, IMHO.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He's a solid starting RT, and giving up 20 spots in the 4th + 218 is a reasonable price for it. And his 5.5M salary/cap hit is far better than we could do on the FA market even assuming there were an equivalent player available.

Should've just kept him as a FA but we chose Fant/Becton over him. That was a bad decision; it doesn't make bringing him back at this cost not a good decision 

You touch on my reason for the question: if he was such a good/solid OT, why did we toss him aside given how long OT has been a ? Here, and is he still going to be so good at this advanced age?

It would be hard for him to be worse than what we played last year, no doubt, but just like Rodgers, advanced age guys have a bad habit of getting hurt. If Moses does, no one can claim it was was unforeseeable, and on an Oline like ours consistently riddled with injuries, I doubt the solution in an old guy.

I don’t think this move solves the OT position, it’s still a top need.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Jets have been down this road before several times. Funnily enough it always comes at the tail end of an administration on its last legs. Never ends well. It's like watching Seven. You know what's in that box by now because it's your 28th time watching the movie. 

I hear you, but it just occurred to me:

The Jets now have 2 of the 5 starting OL who hosted the AFC championship game two months ago. It’s hard to argue that Simpson and Moses aren’t capable players who should make our OL much better. 

• Upvote 3

He’s a RT. So no Fuaga. 😳 Who’s playing Lt?  You can’t seriously depend on Bahktari. They’d have to still find a LT. And you can’t go Bahktari/ Warren. That ain’t cutting it. Just aren’t a lot of options at LT. Chiefs desperately looking for one as well. And are you going with a rookie at LT? If so, who. Alt will be gone. Fashanau? This is still very unsettled. 

• Upvote 2