Jets Sign Mike Williams! MERGED

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bowers makes a ton of sense. Bc he’d actually play. He can block and likely wouldn’t be a week 1 huge threat. But look at Kincaid for BUF who wasn’t starting right away but by seasons end was a big weapon for BUF. And Bowers is quite a bit better than Kincaid.

That all being said. I’ll never really dislike drafting OL in the 1st. I didn’t like drafting Becton and screamed for Wirfs. But I’m really ok with any of Fashanu or Fuaga. Only guy I don’t really like is Latham

I'm not huge on a TE at #10, but Bowers abilities in both the run and pass game make him an immediate contributor and a 3-down guy for the offense from the first kickoff in Week 1.  There is something pretty compelling about lining him up next to Morgan Moses with Breece in the backfield and guys like Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams lined up outside.  Those are 4 fairly dangerous skill players for a smart guy like Rodgers to optimize.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

The guy who i keep coming back to if the jets go OL is fatanu, who has LT feet and can fill in at multiple spots when injuries hit.  

im not going to say they can't make a bad pick but there's something to like about each of the OL prospects this year

it wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuaga goes 7 and the Jets back into Alt 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Douglas did say he wanted to fill all the spots so he can go BAP.  He didn’t rule out qb. 

Makes sense.  Then again, JD will never rule out anything anyway.  But these moves have really given the Jets some true optionality here at #10. 

Gotta hope that Mike Williams comes back like Breece did from the ACL.  Sometimes that first year back, even if it goes well, only has a guy at 80% of his potential.  Jets are paying a lot for his on-field rehab season.  I don't have a problem with that though.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not necessarily.

Williams only played 3 games last year.  And only 13 the year before.  He's right at that 30 year old point.  Possible injuries are a real potential with him an moderately older, on the downside of his career guy.

And he's only been a 1K yards a year receiver twice in his 7 years in the league, and that on a team with a consistent 4,200 yard+ legit QB's the whole time. 

If he's healthy, and if he's back to 2019 form, he could be the #2. 

Like so much of the developing 2024 Jets, that's a lot of "if's". 

On the bright side, if he's healthy, he should be better than Lazard was.

I'd argue that OL and WR remain the "must picks" at #10 as of now.  

With that said, I have no doubt in my mind that JD is going to pick Defense at #10, because aw shucks, look at the elite bendy edge guy who fell to us, we just couldn't pass him up, same old Jets lol.

We are 100% picking defense. Alt and Odunze will be there at 10 and we will choose a defensive tackle. I can feel it in my bones.

Have to chuckle at Jets fans thinking signing aged injured veterans and making the team older is the way to build success

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Which QB do you like ???  The only one I like is JJ and he may be a bust.  They can do a lot of things now.  Still take OT or WR, take Bowers, trade down... Lots of options

After the top 3 I really don't have an opinion.  If JJ is there at #10 I think the Jets would have to take him.  He seems a bit like a Chad Pennington type to me.  I want a QB where we finally emphasize intelligence, accuracy and decision-making over the "arm talent" the Jets went after with both Darnold and Zach.  That said, it sounds like teams such as the Vikings and others maybe trying to move into the Top 5 or 6 for a QB.

I'd rather see the Jets go QB in the middle rounds.  Again, if you're willing to take a guy who can only make 90% of the throws and can't reach one endzone from the other then you can find some prospects that have a chance at turning into a Kirk Cousins type player.  Round 1 is for guys who have the elite arm talent and make every throw OR who run like Lamar Jackson while still being able to complete passes.  If you can forgo a bit on each of those and emphasize smarts then you can get yourself a Brock Purdy.

• More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm not huge on a TE at #10, but Bowers abilities in both the run and pass game make him an immediate contributor and a 3-down guy for the offense from the first kickoff in Week 1.  There is something pretty compelling about lining him up next to Morgan Moses with Breece in the backfield and guys like Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams lined up outside.  Those are 4 fairly dangerous skill players for a smart guy like Rodgers to optimize.

I look and see that most the top teams last year all had top TEs. Yes not all drafted in Round 1. But non the less top TEs. These were the last 4 teams playing last year…..

KC- Kelce

BAL- Andrews

DET- Laporta

SF- Kittle

TE is a position that isn’t an easy transition to the NFL. Mostly bc most teams don’t have well rounded TEs in college. But Bowers did have to block and was used as a weapon. Most guys just blocked or were used pretty much as a WR. And for me that makes him different. Look at recent memory of guy like Pitts (didn’t have to block really). Is what turns people off since he hasn’t lived up to his draft spot. Which I do think changes with cousins at QB for him.

I think a guy like Bowers is my favorite pick now. Can block to help the OL. Can be a weapon which we can never have too many of. And we’d have under control for a long time under a rookie contract at a position we don’t need to pay ASAP. We might be losing MW and Lazard is a year so to go back to just GW could be difficult. But to have GE and Bowers is different.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

im not going to say they can't make a bad pick but there's something to like about each of the OL prospects this year

it wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuaga goes 7 and the Jets back into Alt 

Don’t think alt is the by far best Lt, he may just look the part and also like MHJ he has the bloodlines.  

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Holy hell what an offseason. Mike Williams is the perfect complement to Garrett Wilson. They need to keep Rodgers upright, but as long as we do, this offense is going to be explosive as hell.

The MAIN Reason OL @ 10 is Most Important... unless a trade down where you can get a 2nd ... then Best available OL in the 1st & Best WR in the 2nd. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

After the top 3 I really don't have an opinion.  If JJ is there at #10 I think the Jets would have to take him.  He seems a bit like a Chad Pennington type to me.  I want a QB where we finally emphasize intelligence, accuracy and decision-making over the "arm talent" the Jets went after with both Darnold and Zach.  That said, it sounds like teams such as the Vikings and others maybe trying to move into the Top 5 or 6 for a QB.

I'd rather see the Jets go QB in the middle rounds.  Again, if you're willing to take a guy who can only make 90% of the throws and can't reach one endzone from the other then you can find some prospects that have a chance at turning into a Kirk Cousins type player.  Round 1 is for guys who have the elite arm talent and make every throw OR who run like Lamar Jackson while still being able to complete passes.  If you can forgo a bit on each of those and emphasize smarts then you can get yourself a Brock Purdy.

JJ is not Pennington, he’s got a considerably stronger arm and is also faster.  The thing about JJ is that on that michigan team he did what he was asked and with that talent he just needed not to screw up and they won the whole thing. 

If the jets want a qb, i could see them trading up for maye. 

• Haha 1

In all honesty, a very smart offseason plan by JD on the heels of a really really bad year.

Jets going all in?  Yes

Jets mortgaging the future?  No

Jets getting motivated winners?  Yes

Jets getting rid of losers?  In progress …

It might not work but this is the first time on offense JD seems to have an actual COHESIVE plan.   Maybe he should cut down on all those extra voices he’s had in the room and just own his role as GM.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Jets and Redskins said:

Excellent move now trade down for oline add depth. Now that the Rodgers vice president thing is done this team is ready to go

It's so funny that people bought into that bunch of sh*t 😅

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Good points about QB.  Like Montana used to say.  "I don't throw darts at balloons.  I throw balloons at darts".  Arm talent is important, but useless on a prospect that is not able to navigate the pro game and get the ball in the end zone. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I look and see that most the top teams last year all had top TEs. Yes not all drafted in Round 1. But non the less top TEs. These were the last 4 teams playing last year…..

KC- Kelce

BAL- Andrews

DET- Laporta

SF- Kittle

TE is a position that isn’t an easy transition to the NFL. Mostly bc most teams don’t have well rounded TEs in college. But Bowers did have to block and was used as a weapon. Most guys just blocked or were used pretty much as a WR. And for me that makes him different. Look at recent memory of guy like Pitts (didn’t have to block really). Is what turns people off since he hasn’t lived up to his draft spot. Which I do think changes with cousins at QB for him.

I think a guy like Bowers is my favorite pick now. Can block to help the OL. Can be a weapon which we can never have too many of. And we’d have under control for a long time under a rookie contract at a position we don’t need to pay ASAP. We might be losing MW and Lazard is a year so to go back to just GW could be difficult. But to have GE and Bowers is different.

With this Mike Williams move I do think Bowers is the leader in the clubhouse as they'd say to be the Jets pick assuming three other things...

1. OT Alt doesn't drop to #10

2. All 3 top WRs are off the board by #10

3. The Jets don't trade down

If they stick and pick with Alt and top 3 WRs gone it does feel more likely than not they'd take Bowers, although an OT is still a strong possibility. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

JJ is not Pennington, he’s got a considerably stronger arm and is also faster.  The thing about JJ is that on that michigan team he did what he was asked and with that talent he just needed not to screw up and they won the whole thing. 

If the jets want a qb, i could see them trading up for maye. 

I see Maye in the same league with Blake Bortles or Mitch Trubisky.  Barely pedestrian results despite measurables. Pass on him for me.  The only prospect I'd take from this class is J.J. and he may not work out.  Long shot QB's with questionable tape and other issues who may be worth a late round pick are Sam Hartman and Spencer Ratler.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

We are 100% picking defense. Alt and Odunze will be there at 10 and we will choose a defensive tackle. I can feel it in my bones.

Have to chuckle at Jets fans thinking signing aged injured veterans and making the team older is the way to build success

What don’t you understand about this team being “all in” and having a two year window to get it done?

2026 and beyond doesn’t matter 

The Jets might as well not exist as soon as Rodgers walks out the door.

Worry about reverting back to 31st ranked QB play and a bottom 5 offense when the time comes.

Not now

• Upvote 1