Competition committee considers 6 rules

The league has defined a hip-drop tackle as using the following technique to bring a player to the ground: grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms; and. unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee.

proposal is 15 yards and automatic first down  

Revamped kickoff

The NFL is aiming to remake kickoff formations and return options, prohibiting the kicking team from moving until the ball contacts or is fielded within a designated "landing zone," between the receiving team's 20-yard line and goal line. Teams would only be permitted to place up to two returners in the zone, and returners would also be unable to utilize a fair catch, as they could in 2023.

If a kick doesn't reach the zone in the proposed rules, the ball would be placed at the 40-yard line. If it goes out of -- or is downed inside -- the end zone, the ball would go to the 35. And if it hits the zone, rolls into the end zone and is downed, it'd go to the 20. Any ball fielded in the zone, meanwhile, would have to be returned.

Onside kicks would remain under this proposal, but teams attempting them would be required to alert the opposing club, and could only do so in the fourth quarter, if trailing.

I don’t understand how you can limit a strategy like that, only in the 4th quarter when trailing, with notifying the opponent   

• Upvote 1

• Larz changed the title to Competition committee considers 6 rules

God I hope they don't change the tackling. And BEFORE you come at me about "form" tackling - good form tackling involves getting low and planting your helmet right into or across a guy's chest, and then driving through and LANDING on him. Not only is it already illegal to use traditional form tackles on QBs, but in the modern NFL form tackles can lead to unintentional helmet to helmet hits if the offensive player ducks into contact at all. Even if you keep your face mask upright, a big "form" tackle hit can still lead to helmet to helmet or defenseless receiver penalties. I played defensive back in high school, and the amount of times I either 1) hit face mask to face mask/helmet "form tackling" someone or 2) had to go for their ankles/a hip drop was astronomical. Most every play in the open field, really.

There is a reason hip drop and below the knee tackles are becoming even more popular - when you can't hit a guy straight on, these are the next best strategies, especially tackling big guys like tight ends. Solo, open field tackles of bigger players are going to be nothing but "dirty" ankle and knee shots before long, and hitting a QB like Josh Allen might become downright impossible since "form" tackling a qb (even in the open field) is already highly discouraged / likely to warrant a penalty if it looks like he might slide. Plus, with it illegal to hit QBs below the knee or land on them, how else can you tackle them besides pushing them over? Only very rarely can you go shoulder to mid section and then land next to someone, and if they move and end up below you, penalty!

I know it's joked about but they're seriously going to be on the verge of flag football if defensive regulation goes one step further. I don't even think offensive players are asking for this change, especially since the ones with a brain will know that this will just lead to more injuries like the one Hockenson sustained instead of injuries that are more from unfortunate timing (like the one Rodgers sustained).

Tldr; don't mess with tackling anymore please, NFL! We're already at about as good an intersection of injuries/"clean" tackling as we're gonna get, and sacking the QB will be impossible. No flag football pls

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, BeaconJet said:

The proposed new kickoff rules, and especially the onsides kick part, are dumb. 

Agree - but what's the alternative?  The alternative is to see the kickoff go away, unfortunately.  Just put the ball on the 25 instead of kicking off?   Only around 20% of kickoffs were returned last year.    None in the SuperBowl.   It's an all-time low, and getting lower.

The league is stuck - they can't reinstate the old wedge and flying busters because it's too dangerous.  While the rules are weird - they will make it so there are returns.  (no fair catches, big advantage to receiving team if it's a touchback, etc...) .   And at the very least moving the

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

The league has defined a hip-drop tackle as using the following technique to bring a player to the ground: grabs the runner with both hands or wraps the runner with both arms; and. unweights himself by swiveling and dropping his hips and/or lower body, landing on and trapping the runner's leg(s) at or below the knee.

proposal is 15 yards and automatic first down  

Revamped kickoff

The NFL is aiming to remake kickoff formations and return options, prohibiting the kicking team from moving until the ball contacts or is fielded within a designated "landing zone," between the receiving team's 20-yard line and goal line. Teams would only be permitted to place up to two returners in the zone, and returners would also be unable to utilize a fair catch, as they could in 2023.

If a kick doesn't reach the zone in the proposed rules, the ball would be placed at the 40-yard line. If it goes out of -- or is downed inside -- the end zone, the ball would go to the 35. And if it hits the zone, rolls into the end zone and is downed, it'd go to the 20. Any ball fielded in the zone, meanwhile, would have to be returned.

Onside kicks would remain under this proposal, but teams attempting them would be required to alert the opposing club, and could only do so in the fourth quarter, if trailing.

I don’t understand how you can limit a strategy like that, only in the 4th quarter when trailing, with notifying the opponent   

my initial reaction to this landing zone was good idea. Until I read all the rules above. Come on. WTF are you doing Vincent?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

They're trying to ban injuries. The NFL will be a two-hand touch league within 25 years.

I can't believe what I'm reading. Now all of a sudden they're trying to eliminate a certain form of tackling. It's football, as long as your head is safe anything else goes. Yes, horse collar is something they’ve got right but this right here ain't it. 

closing speeds on kick returns with the speed of players these days can get near 40 + mph.  deadly with the old three person wedge and opposing wedge-buster.  hence, the current rules that have wiped exciting returns off the map.  this is one way to have an exciting return with out 40 mph collisions.  it is a bit odd for the nfl, but I say give it a try.  the foot and the exciting return need to be kept in football one way or the other

On 3/21/2024 at 6:33 PM, THE BARON said:

closing speeds on kick returns with the speed of players these days can get near 40 + mph.  deadly with the old three person wedge and opposing wedge-buster.  hence, the current rules that have wiped exciting returns off the map.  this is one way to have an exciting return with out 40 mph collisions.  it is a bit odd for the nfl, but I say give it a try.  the foot and the exciting return need to be kept in football one way or the other

Didn't the XFL do something interesting with the kickoff?  I can't remember exactly but they had blockers already way down the field, which I think prevented players from flying down the field, which prevented the initial impact from being much stronger.

I just don’t get it. These guys are athletes have been playing tackle football since pop Warner/Pal
High school/college and now professionally.. to be one of the highly skilled and or lucky few that get/ deserve to make it.. they ALL now the risks of this game. It is NOT for everybody it’s a mentality. It is a violent contact sport. These players do get paid very well. I’d say much more than the average Joe. FOOTBALL SHOULD BE FOOTBALL not this soft sport we are watching now. I get their should be rules. But cmon. A form tackle that you have been perfecting since you were 7 is now a penalty??? Grazing the helmet of a QB is a 15 yarder. This is not the game I grew up with & loved. It’s a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

I just don’t get it. These guys are athletes have been playing tackle football since pop Warner/Pal
High school/college and now professionally.. to be one of the highly skilled and or lucky few that get/ deserve to make it.. they ALL now the risks of this game. It is NOT for everybody it’s a mentality. It is a violent contact sport. These players do get paid very well. I’d say much more than the average Joe. FOOTBALL SHOULD BE FOOTBALL not this soft sport we are watching now. I get their should be rules. But cmon. A form tackle that you have been perfecting since you were 7 is now a penalty??? Grazing the helmet of a QB is a 15 yarder. This is not the game I grew up with & loved. It’s a shame.

They’re doing everything they possibly can to get suburban Moms to be OK with their kids playing.  That’s the crux of all this.  Theyre trying to create a theater of safety for the sport to keep the pipeline going.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Didn't the XFL do something interesting with the kickoff?  I can't remember exactly but they had blockers already way down the field, which I think prevented players from flying down the field, which prevented the initial impact from being much stronger.

This was stolen from the better product, the XFL.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

They’re doing everything they possibly can to get suburban Moms to be OK with their kids playing.  That’s the crux of all this.  Theyre trying to create a theater of safety for the sport to keep the pipeline going.   

Prob true..let those kids play soccer or tennis than…again football is not for everyone. It’s crazy because. Playing both football and baseball growing up. I’d say 80% of all my injuries were baseball related

40 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Prob true..let those kids play soccer or tennis than…again football is not for everyone. It’s crazy because. Playing both football and baseball growing up. I’d say 80% of all my injuries were baseball related

Well yeah, those kids are already choosing other sports, but the NFL needs as many of the suburban kids back as possible.  There’s no international league or minor league to pull from (aside from the occasional CFL guy or some Rugby punter from time to time).  They can’t just depend on rural and city kids in this country to be the only available pipeline to keep the sport viable in the long run.

Meanwhile youth football is dying off in many states as parents and legislators recognize that if you’re going to play football, it’s best to at least wait until High School to do so for your brain’s health and development.  Youth football will never die off in a state like Texas but it is already very close to dying off in the northeast as participation rates dwindle.

It’s an “existential threat” for the league that will precipitate a slow decline of the sport.  It will no longer be palpable for people who refuse to let their own kids play the sport to continue to support OTHER, poorer kids getting knocked around for their own entertainment.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeppers.  Id gather that is how the NFL got the idea for it.   

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Yeppers.  Id gather that is how the NFL got the idea for it.   

The XFL kickoff rule was smart. It allowed the kickoff to remain an exciting play while also reducing the chance of someone getting seriously injured.

It sounds like the NFL took that good idea and ruined it. 

• Upvote 1

The NFL competition committee met today and unanimously approved a tweak to the proposed NFL Hybrid Kickoff rule, making touchbacks that go into the end zone on the fly come out to the 30-yard line, rather than the 35, per source.

The change provides kicking teams a less punitive option if they don’t want to take a chance on a long return. The adjusted rule proposal will be presented to owners for a possible vote Monday morning.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:30 AM, Jets0712 said:

I'd literally amputate my leg so a billionaire can use my tibia as a motorcycle kickstand for $20 million. They're crying over twisted ankles.

Broader blander product spread too thin.... Ignoring the base that watches exactly because it was a violent gladiatorial game could have unintended consequences. They are banking on Football becoming soccer .. a game anyone can play... This game was never meant for everyone.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk