Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Was always curious why eagles chose to go after huff and get rid of reddick.. Talent wise was too close to call, eagles fleeced JD because now we have the reason. 

Reddick- 1 year $15 mil contract + a 2026 3rd (or 2nd if milestones hit).

vs.

Bryce Huff signed a 3 year , $51,100,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $16,125,000 signing bonus, $34,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $17,033,333. In 2024, Huff will earn a base salary of $1,125,000 and a signing bonus of $16,125,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,350,000 and a dead cap value of $34,000,000.

I don't think Huff was down with a rotational role.... it's as simple as that in my estimation.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

The whole Reddick for Huff move was completely idiotic IMO.  Let an ascending player go, sign a 1 year declining player. Cannot believe people think we upgraded this team. If we get an all time run of good luck with aging players maybe we get a year of performance but the odds of that are miniscule especially with the field we play on. Like I have said all the indicators are there for another disaster season but fans are just not seeing it. In the end I think this is one of the ugliest seasons in terms of underperformance to expectations we will ever see and we are headed to being the worst team in the NFL in 2026. (Yeah I can hear you all saying something "I don't care about 2026 I just want to make the playoffs this year!" Well-we won't.

Ok!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Reddick ghosting Saleh

Joe Beningo has more communication with the head coach than his #1 EDGE player does

Is this the reason Saleh hasn’t had any contact with Reddick?

golf2.thumb.png.6ce9d8565996118b91009a0af2a0d122.png

• Haha 4

Haason Reddick’s OTAs absence could spell potential Jets contract storm
By Social Links forBrian Costello
Published June 4, 2024, 12:55 p.m. ET
There is a potential storm brewing between the Jets and one of the players they acquired this offseason.

Edge rusher Haason Reddick has not been at the offseason program this spring, coach Robert Saleh said Tuesday. The Jets traded for Reddick in March, bringing him over from the Eagles.

It is unknown exactly why Reddick is skipping the voluntary OTAs, but all signs point to him being unhappy with his contract. He sought a contract extension from the Eagles this offseason, and that led to the team trading him.

He has one year and a non-guaranteed $14.25 million left on a three-year deal he signed in 2022. He also was due a $250,000 workout bonus that he is giving up by not attending OTAs.

When the Jets traded for him March 29, there was some speculation that a contract extension could follow, but that has not happened.

Tuesday, Saleh looked unhappy when asked about whether Reddick has been with the team this spring.

“He has not,” Saleh said.

The only mandatory portion of the spring program for players is minicamp, which is June 11-14. Saleh said he expects Reddick to be there.

Saleh was asked if the absence is contract related.

“I don’t know that,” Saleh said. “That would probably be more of a question for Joe [Douglas, general manager].”
Douglas typically does not speak to the media between the draft and training camp, so it is unlikely he will shed any light on the situation.

Saleh said he has not had any communication with Reddick this spring, which is strange for a player new to the team. But Saleh said he is not worried.

“For me, I’m focused on the guys who are here,” Saleh said. “Haason’s a pro. He’s been in this league a while. He’s produced at a very high level for a long time. He’s got his routine. If it makes people feel better, we know where he’s at, we know what he’s doing. We know he’s working his tail off to get where he needs to get to to have a productive ’24 season.”

“Obviously, as a coach, selfishly, you want everybody here all the time,” Saleh said. “It is voluntary. I’m thankful for the guys who are here putting in their work and those are the guys I’m going to focus on.”
“Obviously, as a coach, selfishly, you want everybody here all the time,” Saleh said. “It is voluntary. I’m thankful for the guys who are here putting in their work and those are the guys I’m going to focus on.”
Bill Kostroun/New York Post
Saleh, of course, would prefer to have Reddick practicing with the team.

The Jets traded a 2026 conditional third-round pick to the Eagles for Reddick. He essentially is filling the void left by Bryce Huff, who signed with the Eagles as a free agent.

9 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Ummmmm, there was no Reddick for Huff move.  Huff left as a FA. because he wanted to play in a full time role.  The Jets didnt pursue him because he was one trick pony who sucked vs. the run and they never planned to let him be a liability by playing him more and the Jets have numerous pass rushers waiting in the wings who play the run much better.

The Jets traded for Reddick w/ picks, had nothing to do w/ Huff.  And you couldnt be more wrong in your assessment of the situation - Reddick is 29 years old and is in the Myles Garrett, TJ Watt stratosphere.  Huff cant sniff Reddick's jock.  Legit, not even comparable players.  Reddick has had a HOF career and there is no reason to think he will slow down anytime soon.  He's whopping, 3 years older than Huff.  

This was a massive upgrade.

100% agree.  Huff not relevant in the least here.  Why isn't he at OTA's?  Simple:  He will be 30 years old this coming September.  He wants that next big contract.... now.  He'll be an UFA at the end of the '24 season.  He's getting $15 million this season.  No way he wants to wait a year.  Considering the Jets drafted pass rushers in the previous two 1st rounds, I don't think he believes his future is with the Jets.  Obviously not an ideal situation to get that contract now.  Can't blame him for this no show.  Really can't.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:49 AM, JohnnyLV said:

The whole Reddick for Huff move was completely idiotic IMO.  Let an ascending player go, sign a 1 year declining player. Cannot believe people think we upgraded this team. If we get an all time run of good luck with aging players maybe we get a year of performance but the odds of that are miniscule especially with the field we play on. Like I have said all the indicators are there for another disaster season but fans are just not seeing it. In the end I think this is one of the ugliest seasons in terms of underperformance to expectations we will ever see and we are headed to being the worst team in the NFL in 2026. (Yeah I can hear you all saying something "I don't care about 2026 I just want to make the playoffs this year!" Well-we won't.

They tried to extend Huff before the 2023 draft, again during the 2023 season, and then again after the 2023 season.

You can't force a guy to sign an extension & if he doesn't want to play here, and he didn't want to play here anymore. 

The only other option was to franchise tag him at $21MM (full cap hit this year; no prorating it with void years & such), and then be prepared for him to not sign it so he could hold out all summer without getting fined a penny.  Technically he could hold out into the season - I think he can hold out until week 10 before signing the tag - and then finally sign to accrue the season. Then he'll be a UFA again after the season and it'll take another 20% higher bid to tag him again, because he's really not going to want to sign an extension that much more.

If it's purely about money, where the player wants to stay but they're still at an impasse on how much for a little while longer, then tagging is an option. This wasn't about money; this was about his desire to be a full-time starter, while he's still young & in his prime, since he'd get paid big no matter where he ended up. 

Players reach free agency sometimes. It happens. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/5/2024 at 6:01 AM, JustInFudge said:

Ummmmm, there was no Reddick for Huff move.  Huff left as a FA. because he wanted to play in a full time role.  The Jets didnt pursue him because he was one trick pony who sucked vs. the run and they never planned to let him be a liability by playing him more and the Jets have numerous pass rushers waiting in the wings who play the run much better.

The Jets traded for Reddick w/ picks, had nothing to do w/ Huff.  And you couldnt be more wrong in your assessment of the situation - Reddick is 29 years old and is in the Myles Garrett, TJ Watt stratosphere.  Huff cant sniff Reddick's jock.  Legit, not even comparable players.  Reddick has had a HOF career and there is no reason to think he will slow down anytime soon.  He's whopping, 3 years older than Huff.  

Open to a charity bet that Huff outplays Reddick this year. We could use snao normalized sacks, tackles, pressures, TFLs and PFF run stopping metric to choose a winner.

Yes there was no direct trade for Reddick and Huff, BUT seriously Philly dumped Reddick and signed Huff and we did not make any attempt to sign Huff and traded for Reddick. It is definitely a valid analogy

10 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

Open to a charity bet that Huff outplays Reddick this year. We could use snao normalized sacks, tackles, pressures, TFLs and PFF run stopping metric to choose a winner.

Yes there was no direct trade for Reddick and Huff, BUT seriously Philly dumped Reddick and signed Huff and we did not make any attempt to sign Huff and traded for Reddick. It is definitely a valid analogy

Happy to have donate to charity.  They would be very appreciative.

And you have it all wrong.  The Jets tried to sign Huff numerous times.  He wanted to test the market and play every down and he knew he'd never have the opportunity here.  So the Eagles signed him and then the Jets traded for Reddick. 

I think you need to do some research on Reddick.  Just to help you understand, only Miles Garrett has more sacks and only JJ Watt has more strips sacks then Reddick since they entered the league.  Huff cant sniff his jock and if the Eagles play him full time, their defense is going to suck.

• Upvote 3

On 6/5/2024 at 9:01 AM, JustInFudge said:

Ummmmm, there was no Reddick for Huff move.  Huff left as a FA. because he wanted to play in a full time role.  The Jets didnt pursue him hard after a few offers because he was one trick pony who sucked vs. the run and they never planned to let him be a liability by playing him more and the Jets have numerous pass rushers waiting in the wings who play the run much better.

95317527-CC66-4CBC-BC4C-8800812D1426.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

I think you need to do some research on Reddick.  Just to help you understand, only Miles Garrett has more sacks and only JJ Watt has more strips sacks then Reddick since they entered the league.  Huff cant sniff his jock and if the Eagles play him full time, their defense is going to suck.

I've got the Prince gif at the ready in case this prediction comes true!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've got the Prince gif at the ready in case this prediction comes true!

How many times did you have to use it last year?  Basically any time anyone bumped a thread?

We might be on pace to double that effort this season.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

Wut?   What?  What in the world are you talking about?  The Jets made multiple attempts to sign Huff.  He wanted out. He was not going to sign with the Jets, period. 

Gotta love the way some people just fabricate events to advance their point.  The above is totally false.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

We can start worrying if Reddick doesn't show up for the start of mandatory mini-camp on June 11th.

This can't even be construed as a legitimate hold out, up until that point.

Just beat-writers looking for a negative story.

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2024 at 8:44 PM, slimjasi said:

Is there such thing as a "holdout" in OTAs?

I'lll be concerned if he misses training camp 

Actually, I think the Jets have a lot to be concerned about, and it has to do with a little known fact that noone seems to be talking about.

Reddick gave up $250,000.00 in workout bonuses by not showing up for Jets OTA's.

Why would Reddick do that, unless he plans to sit out for a new extended contract?

Just to have shown up to run around in gym shorts with his teammates, and get $250K for doing that?

I think the big picture here, and I will say it now, is that Hassan Reddick will not be showing up for camp tomorrow.

His contract might be 14.5M or 15M, but nobody gives up $250K for no reason.  

This becomes a big issue if he does sit out, since Joe Douglas should have negotiated an extension with Reddick before the trade, and by not doing so, will have screwed this entire ordeal royally.

Letting Huff walk without an extension, and giving Reddick an extension (he probably will want at least $20M per season, and is he even worth that kind of money?) when JD probably wants to see Reddick play this season before thinking about an extension for him.

If he sits out, JD will look very stupid, and he will deserve to look very stupid.  This could put JD on the hotseat, if he sits out, and McDonald and Johnson don't have great seasons.

I don't think they plan on resigning him.

You just drafted a DE end in the 1st round.  You need to extend JJ, also a defensive end. 

Follow that up with you need to extend Sauce, another of the 3 corners, Wilson, potentially AVT (if healthy finally), Breece.  There is only so much money, and I'm locking up 24 year old talent, not 29 year old talent.

In the logic of this thread, I "hold out" every Saturday and Sunday because while I COULD  voluntarily do work on those days, I choose not to.... because it's not mandatory to do extra work on my days off even though I could bill for OT.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alka said:

Actually, I think the Jets have a lot to be concerned about, and it has to do with a little known fact that noone seems to be talking about.

Reddick gave up $250,000.00 in workout bonuses by not showing up for Jets OTA's.

Why would Reddick do that, unless he plans to sit out for a new extended contract?

Just to have shown up to run around in gym shorts with his teammates, and get $250K for doing that?

I think the big picture here, and I will say it now, is that Hassan Reddick will not be showing up for camp tomorrow.

This becomes a big issue if he does sit out, since Joe Douglas should have negotiated an extension with Reddick before the trade, and by not doing so, will have screwed this entire ordeal royally.

Letting Huff walk without an extension, and giving Reddick an extension (he probably will want at least $20M per season, and is he even worth that kind of money?) when JD probably wants to see Reddick play this season before thinking about an extension for him.

If he sits out, JD will look very stupid, and he will deserve to look very stupid.  This could put JD on the hotseat, if he sits out, and McDonald and Johnson don't have great seasons.

Yeah, I don't think Reddick is showing up for mandatory minicamp either. As you say, he already wrote off $250k for passing on offseason workouts. He only loses, I think, $50k in fines if he doesn't show up for mandatory camp this week.

He's not coming. He's using every bit of his leverage to try to get a new contract. Will the Jets bite, or will they let him sit it out and revisit the situation once training camp rolls around? 

This could get resolved soon, or it could get very ugly. Hopefully, the Jets planned for this eventuality and know what they are doing.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Alka said:

It very well may end up being an issue - I'm just saying that it's not an issue until training camp. Perhaps you are right that he is likely to hold out - My guess would be that the Jets are working on something short term for him, but it's just a guess. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2024 at 6:30 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is this the reason Saleh hasn’t had any contact with Reddick?

golf2.thumb.png.6ce9d8565996118b91009a0af2a0d122.png

does anyone actually like golf ??? i dont get it.  why ??? explain it to me ??? why do you like/love golf ??? 

• The Crusher changed the title to Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?