Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season.

Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season (msn.com)

Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season
Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season© Provided by ClutchPoints

The New York Jets are entering the 2024 campaign with both a chip on their shoulder and plenty of expectations. If Robert Saleh can’t lead the Jets back into playoff contention, his time in New York could come to a close.

Saleh is the NFL head coach most likely to be fired first during the 2024 campaign at +500 odds, via betonline.ag. Mike McCarthy of the Dallas Cowboys (+600) and Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus (+700) make up the top three while New Orleans Saints’ Dennis Allen (+700) and Nick Sirianni of the Philadelphia Eagles round out the top five.

Saleh has been with the Jets since 2021, amassing a 18-33 record as head coach. New York has had back-to-back seasons with a 7-10 record and has yet to make the playoffs under Saleh. That’s not to say it’s all the head coach’s fault though.

In 2021, Saleh had then-rookie Zach Wilson at quarterback. The Jets ran it back with Wilson in 2022, with a splash of Joe Flacco and holdover Mike White. New York had seen enough and decided to take a massive swing at quarterback, landing Aaron Rodgers in a trade with the Green Bay Packers. However, his season ended just a few plays into his New York debut, putting the team back at square one.

With Rodgers now fully healthy, the Jets are expecting to compete. They have their quarterback in place and have been patiently waiting to have their full team on the field. Perhaps that’s why Saleh’s odds to be fired are so high.

The Jets can’t afford to waste Rodgers’ Super Bowl window, not after losing a season to injury. If Saleh can’t lead the team to those heights, New York will find a head coach who can. It’s a hard position to be in, but Saleh understands the expectations of Jets ownership now that Rodgers is back.

If everything works out how New York is hoping, this is all a moot point and Robert Saleh is leading the Jets dynasty for the foreseeable future. But another year like 2023 would likely send Saleh packing.

How Robert Saleh can continue coaching Jets

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports© Provided by ClutchPoints

While the offense has been questionable under Saleh, the Jets have developed into one of the best defensive teams in the league. Without it, New York would’ve had an even further collapse after Rodgers’ injury.

In 2020, a year before Saleh’s arrival, the team ranked 24th in team defense, allowing 387.6 yards per game. With their new head coach in place, the Jets bottomed out, falling all the way to 32nd by allowing 397.6 YPG.

But Saleh was able to put together a quick turnaround, elevating New York to fourth in 2022 (311.1 YPG). In 2024, the Jets ranked third, allowing 292.3 YPG. It was a bit of a process, but once Saleh put the ground work in, that system seemed to work.

His defense is Robert Saleh’s calling card. As long as they continue playing at a high level, he will be lauded for his defensive mind. But at some point, there needs to be offensive improvement. Saleh must work with Nathaniel Hackett, Rodgers and the entire offensive staff to make sure New York comes out strong now that they’re back to full health.

Saleh is certainly an emotional leader and has guided the Jets through difficult times. But eventually, results need to be on the board. With Aaron Rodgers and no more excuses, Saleh must deliver.

Like ClutchPoints’ content? Be sure to follow us.

The post Jets’ Robert Saleh favored to be first head coach fired this NFL season appeared first on ClutchPoints.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Well the Bears have made big changes esp at the QB position so doubtful they would fire their HC so fast. I'd vote for Saints if Jets aren't competitive he'll be gone too but with AR etc they should be ok you'd think. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets could have a great season this year, but my gut is that they perform under expectations, not at or over. 

The coach will likely be a big part of that.  Time management, Hackett and other glitches will cause some losses that they can't afford to take.  

• Upvote 1

Of all the HC’s, Saleh is one without an extension and easily the best roster.  He is the best candidate to fail.  He also shouldn’t come close to failing.  

Saleh could be the first HC to be fired list and the first HC to get extended at the same time.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of all the HC’s, Saleh is one without an extension and easily the best roster.  He is the best candidate to fail.  He also shouldn’t come close to failing.  

Saleh could head the first to get fired list and the first to get extended list

The old “if he succeeds he gets no credit, but if he doesnt succeed, its all his fault”.

Jet fans…….

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m confused, is this implying a mid-season firing because, if so, that’s pissing money into the wind.  

I’m not making any projections on his future AFTER the year because I’m not sold on Saleh, but Woody doesn’t do mid-season firings.

He should though i mean most seasons we are out of it by then so maybe it makes no sense but this is totally a win now team and teams can get a good bump with mid season coaching changes

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Robert Saleh will be the 1st head coach to get a monster extension when the Jets win the AFC East and go 13-4 this year.

Enjoy it jet fans!!!

bruh Saleh sucks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I’m confused, is this implying a mid-season firing because, if so, that’s pissing money into the wind.  

I’m not making any projections on his future AFTER the year because I’m not sold on Saleh, but Woody doesn’t do mid-season firings.

Yeah they even rose the Gase train to the end lol.

A waste of money. Definitely should be the favourite to be fired by the Superbowl due to the pretty public playoff mandate and the sheer amount of variables that could go off course.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I feel like an in season firing is highly unlikely but it would be fair if he was the heaviest favorite to be fired after the season 

Can't fire him when he's out of contract though. Woody is SMAAART. :D 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hard to believe he isn’t somewhat relieved by this. Personally I’m happy for him. 

I would seriously pay money for a constitutional amendment prohibiting me and anyone within my bloodline from being a fan of the Jets. It would be refreshing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Whoever wrote the article did not do his homework on Woody.  Woody never fires his HC mid season and never will, absent his committing some egregious crime.

Stoopid article anyway.  Why waste time predicting who will be fired and when?  And if you do, please do your research on the owners before you make asinine claims.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Whoever wrote the article did not do his homework on Woody.  Woody never fires his HC mid season and never will, absent his committing some egregious crime.

Stoopid article anyway.  Why waste time predicting who will be fired and when?  And if you do, please do your research on the owners before you make asinine claims.

Yep, same guy who gave his last GM another draft to fail miserable at just weeks before firing  him. 

• More Ugh 1