Jordan Love won’t practice without a new deal. Update: Packers Make Love Highest Paid QB

It's a scary thought which @bitonti and others have mentioned here, but there's a possibility Rodgers looks completely washed at this stage.

In which case Saleh will have abdicated any sense of authority / control over the team / locker room he may have had previously all for nothing.

I don't think Jordan Love is a top-5 QB but it sounds like the Packers will need to bite the bullet and pony up whether he is or isn't.

• More Ugh 1

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Didn't he just get a deal last year?  On top of that 17 games of decent QB doesn't qualify you for a

raise, do it again

Not even 17. He was meh at best the first half of the year.

the nerve of this prick 

• Sympathy 2

Love accepted a team-friendly "bridge" type extension last year which helped the Packers kick the can down the road on any firm commitment.

If I were Love, I would hold the Packers feet to the fire and hold out for every last $.01 from Gutenkunst.

When a player has leverage in the NFL, he has to maximize it while he still can.

I don't exactly feel compassion for the Packers organization.

• Upvote 4

An interesting theme on the Packers forum.  Lots of them believe Love is 'going to become' the 3rd best QB in the league this year (Mahomes and Burrow).  Yet they are mostly okay paying him like that now.  

Now you could argue that his last season was better than Lawrence or Herbert.  Not Goff but close.  But all three of those guys have 3 years or more under their belt and Herbert and Lawrence were much better in 2023 while Love was on the bench.

It's a tough call.  I would want another year if it were my team, but the way the league works, GB may feel they have to invest now.  

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not even 17. He was meh at best the first half of the year.

the nerve of this prick 

If I was a Packers fan, maybe I'd agree.

But what do I care if the Packers are forced to allocate 50M AAV for their starting QB?

Having to do so would only damage their ability to field a competitive team.

Jet fans could only wish they had a young QB who'd shown enough to even merit that kind of conversation.

It's hard to be critical because if I were Love or his agent, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

If the Packers don't believe in the player, they can play hardball and let things get ugly or even ultimately let him walk...

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

An interesting theme on the Packers forum.  Lots of them believe Love is 'going to become' the 3rd best QB in the league this year (Mahomes and Burrow).  Yet they are mostly okay paying him like that now.  

Now you could argue that his last season was better than Lawrence or Herbert.  Not Goff but close.  But all three of those guys have 3 years or more under their belt and Herbert and Lawrence were much better in 2023 while Love was on the bench.

It's a tough call.  I would want another year if it were my team, but the way the league works, GB may feel they have to invest now.  

Isn’t this what they hoped for when they drafted him and sat him?  That’s the downside with not playing rookies right away, as soon as they get good they’re going to demand top qb money.  You better be right…..

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jordan Love has played like 10 good games in his whole career.  He now wants $55 mil a year?

Dont we need to see a full season from Love to even consider this?

We don't need to see anything.  He's a Packer, and we're Jets Fans.

As with every holdout, the teams GM will need to evaluate risk and cost-benefit and go from there.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Must have picked up some Diva-ness from Aaron. 

Russini article to drop soon how this is really Rodgers fault as he is guiding him and instructing him not to practice until he gets a new deal. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I'm not exactly a Jordan Love guy, but if Daniel Jones is worth 40+, based on the evidence to date, it's hard to say Love isn't worth 50.

Right or wrong, if the Packers cut Love today, there would be no shortage of teams willing to pony up.

Thus the danger of a small sample size. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I'm not exactly a Jordan Love guy, but if Daniel Jones is worth 40+, based on the evidence to date, it's hard to say Love isn't worth 50.

Right or wrong, if the Packers cut Love today, there would be no shortage of teams willing to pony up.

I think most would agree that Daniel Jones is an outlier and not someone you base your valuation of QBs on.  Of course Love's team will absolutely push for that.  I think the recent deals to TLaw, Herbert, and Goff are the comps they are most likely to use to get him over $50M.  Honestly, there just aren't many examples of a QB being up for a new deal after 1 year of starting that I can think of.  I guess the question really is, how often do QBs have a really good first year of play (especially after sitting a year or two) and then either keep it up or never match it.

I guess the nightmare scenario is Mac Jones. 

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If I was a Packers fan, maybe I'd agree.

But what do I care if the Packers are forced to allocate 50M AAV for their starting QB?

Having to do so would only damage their ability to field a competitive team.

Jet fans could only wish they had a young QB who'd shown enough to even merit that kind of conversation.

It's hard to be critical because if I were Love or his agent, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

If the Packers don't believe in the player, they can play hardball and let things get ugly or even ultimately let him walk...

I don’t really care 

I just think we crown these guys too soon nowadays 

Here is the description of Jordan Love's contract from Over The Cap:

Green Bay does not generally do salary guarantees so I would guess that Love will earn $14.5 million this year- a $13.5 million signing bonus and a $1.01 million base salary- which is a significant raise over his current salary of $2.29 million. However, the option for next year was worth a fully guaranteed $20.272 million and it sounds as if he would need to hit incentives to exceed that number.

This is probably one of the more questionable decisions on the player side to potentially take money off the table for the guarantee. It is hard to say how questionable given that we do not yet know the base value of the contract, but given the position he plays there is usually far more upside in having a contract expire.

Green Bay was not going to exercise Love's option last year.  Instead, Love got a big raise in 2023 but was locked in a cheaper option in 2024.  

Love played decently last year and had a great playoff game where they beat the 12 win favored Cowboys, in Dallas.  

GB can decline to extend him, and make him play on the contract and then potentially franchise him.   Love does not have many options.  But GB needs to use its judgment and decide whether its worth extending him.  He is probably worth a Trevor Lawrence-like deal.  The contracts for QBs like Lawrence/Jones and now Love are the most dangerous, because teams can talk themselves into signing unproven QBs for large contracts.  

But the alternative is signing guys like Derek Carr and Aaron Rodgers for much less.  I am not convinced that works out better.  

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Daniel Jones is worth about 5 bucks.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jordan Love has played like 10 good games in his whole career.  He now wants $55 mil a year?

Dont we need to see a full season from Love to even consider this?

That’s the packers fault, not his. He was drafted in the same class as burrow, hurts, tua, and herbert. All those guys have gotten their extensions. If they wanted to see more, they should have moved Rodgers sooner. That’s not his problem. They developed him, he played well, he’s due. Pay the kid.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, extmenace said:

That’s the packers fault, not his. He was drafted in the same class as burrow, hurts, tua, and herbert. All those guys have gotten their extensions. If they wanted to see more, they should have moved Rodgers sooner. That’s not his problem. They developed him, he played well, he’s due. Pay the kid.

Jason's article in OTC basically implied that Love and his agent messed this up.  

Love could have played last year for like $3mm without his fifth year option.  He would have then been a free agent.   The Packers on the other hand could have been tempted to trade him without year 5, or gambled on the Franchise Tag, like the Giants did with Daniel Jones.  

For Jordan Love, he could have ended up like Zach Wilson or Mitch Trubisky.  If he bombed in 2023, he ends up a FA with a limited market.  

Love locked $12mm extra in 2023 and in return is subject to a $20mm option year this year, which hopefully has incentives attached to it.  

So what he is basically saying is that he wants a do-over.  

But from the Packers perspective, they need to bet whether they want to keep him around or trade him to someone else.  That is what Love is pushing for.  

I would give him a Daniel Jones deal, or tell him to sit.  

• Barry McCockinner changed the title to Jordan Love won’t practice without a new deal. Update: Packers Make Love Highest Paid QB