Belichick takes swipe at Jets for treatment of Darnold

I was not a fan of drafting Darnold.  I was all aboard the Josh Allen Express.  However, Darnold never got a fair shake in NY.  The team was gawd awful.

In 2021, I was hoping, as I always do, we would trade down and build a team.  In particular, I wanted Sewell.  As it turned out, I really liked the AVT pick so in my opinion a wash.

Who knows what could have been, but I felt if we built the team up, perhaps Darnold would develop and if not, the team would be built for the next QB.

That said, I never trusted the coaching staff to develop a rookie, and I never expect any QB not kill themselves after having a bad game with this fan base.

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets trade the three 2’s to go up for Darnold in the Darnold draft, they follow up picking him by taking Nathan Shepherd and Chris Herndon. Darnold’s skills guys his rookie year were Robbie Anderson, a busted up Quincy Enunwa, and Jermaine Kearse. His backs were Isiah Crowell and a broken down Bilal Powell. His center is Spencer Long. 

The next year, with the third pick, they take Quinnen Williams. Next pick, Jachai Polite. Next pick, Chuma Edoga. His center is Ryan Kalil. His big adds on offense were Jamison Crowder and Braxton Berrios 

Darnold absolutely got ****ed by the Jets

You also left out saddling him with a coaching staff of Krazy Eyez Killa and dollar store Patton Oswalt

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Is he wrong?

I saw a graph on Fox Sports.  Darnold is younger than Burrow.  He is younger than Allen, Mahomes and Lamar.

I am not conflating him in their category.  However, if KOC is able to develop him better than the Jets did.  Maybe, JJ is traded.  Or Darnold has a career revival like Baker or Geno did somewhere else.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I heard them say on the Vikings broadcast yesterday that Sam admitted he really learned how to study / prepare / watch film by seeing how Purdy did it for 1 year in SF.

The Jets did fail to put a support system around Sam as far as actually teaching him how to approach and play the QB position at an NFL level.

This was actually as important if not more important than surrounding him with "weapons".

Rob Calabrese was a first-time NFL assistant.

You can't compare that to what guys like Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers had in their situations with QB coach gurus like Clyde Christensen and Tom Clements.

Sam Darnold's entire "support system" from the Jets:

new york jets football GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Is he wrong?

I saw a graph on Fox Sports.  Darnold is younger than Burrow.  He is younger than Allen, Mahomes and Lamar.

I am not conflating him in their category.  However, if KOC is able to develop him better than the Jets did.  Maybe, JJ is traded.  Or Darnold has a career revival like Baker or Geno did somewhere else.

He is.  It's been widely reported that some people in the building wanted to stick with Sam.  That's no different than how he describes Carolina's feelings on Sam.  

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold never had a chance here, not even a remote chance.

Idiot (and this is being kind) mccagnan drafted like 3 oline in 5 years before drafting his franchise QB.

We had no oline, a center who could not snap the ball at all.  Terrible offensive coaches.   Zero weapons.

He was throwing to jeff smith , malone and hogan a guy that after being like our #1 or #2 wr due to injuties here was playing pro lacrosse a year or so later.

Whether Darnold turns out good long term for minny or not who knows but the way he was handed was a total disgrace.

Then to compound the issue instead of sticking with him one more year and drafting premium player (jamar chase, penei sewell) the jets draft zach wilson.

Whats your rationale for Darnold not winning the San Fran job over Mr Irrelevant?

Geno eventually became decent- after 4 teams and 10 years- how long do you give these guys?

Will you say Zac Wilson didnt get a fair shake here if he ever turns it around?

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ftr, I was a Darnold defender the whole time.

I always said darnold would do well in a modern version of the old joe bugel offense.  lots of running, line motion and play action.  darnold would still struggle in the offense gase wanted to run, but he'll do just fine in the offense the vikes are running.  

fyi... the vikes offense will have a hard time vs. the jets.  

so long as rodgers stays 100 % the jets will beat the vikes.  

then, belichick can start saying the jets are one of the top teams.  

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

No lies detected.  still a scumbag.  Jets are going to win in London 

13 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I'll be there screaming my head off! I even managed to get phenomenal seats. Can't wait!

Mods, is there any chance we can change the locks on the front door of the forum while he's gone?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mods, is there any chance we can change the locks on the front door of the forum while he's gone?

Keep working at trying to be the forum funny man. Maybe you will turn into one before Zach turns into a competent QB. I'm pulling for you 👍

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He is.  It's been widely reported that some people in the building wanted to stick with Sam.  That's no different than how he describes Carolina's feelings on Sam.  

Who?

The GM was still there.  When presented with an opportunity to select another high draft pick on a QB, the Jets traded him before the draft.  Then, "with the second pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Zach Wilson, QB BYU".  

I am sure there were 'people' that liked him.  They did not matter.  The people that did, did not see enough in him.

2 minutes ago, Barton said:

If you think Darnold had it bad here, which he did, look at the roster Zach Wilson had year 1. Neither QB should have played a snap as rookies. 

Darnold had it worse, without question. And he never quit on the team like Wilson.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

I was not a fan of drafting Darnold.  I was all aboard the Josh Allen Express.  However, Darnold never got a fair shake in NY.  The team was gawd awful.

In 2021, I was hoping, as I always do, we would trade down and build a team.  In particular, I wanted Sewell.  As it turned out, I really liked the AVT pick so in my opinion a wash.

Who knows what could have been, but I felt if we built the team up, perhaps Darnold would develop and if not, the team would be built for the next QB.

That said, I never trusted the coaching staff to develop a rookie, and I never expect any QB not kill themselves after having a bad game with this fan base.

it didn’t matter what qb we took in that draft, nobody would of made it out alive.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Who?

The GM was still there.  When presented with an opportunity to select another high draft pick on a QB, the Jets traded him before the draft.  Then, "with the second pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Zach Wilson, QB BYU".  

I am sure there were 'people' that liked him.  They did not matter.  The people that did, did not see enough in him.

No names were released publicly, but again, widely reported that there were high level discussions on which way to go and some spoke up in favor of keeping Sam.  Have read where some claim Saleh was in Sam's corner but not something we can verify.

Obviously Joe D. was not a Sam guy.

• The Jets have learned 2x that you can't drop a rookie QB into a team with deficient talent and coaching and expected a good result, rookie contract or not.
  • Darnold will execute a game plan.  He is on a team with WRs and an OL and good coaching.  He is doing fine, for now.  He is not carrying a team.  
  • The Jets have kind of figured it out with Rodgers.  He does not need coaching.  He is young enough.    The Jets QB cap hit is among the lowest in the NFL.  Not so much next year.  That is not insignificant.
  • JD seems attracted to the smaller, quicker QBs.  Jordan Travis is not big.  Bryce Young is really not big.  Maybe they think that is the trend.
  • The Panthers taking Bryce Young was even dumber than the Zach Wilson pick.  
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Darnold had it worse, without question. And he never quit on the team like Wilson.

The difference between Sam and Zach is that despite the horrendous coaching and personel around him here, Sam actually provided evidence of his potential. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I would like to say for the record in case anyone forgot. I was a firm believer in keep Sam Darnold and trade down despite my accurate feelings about Justin Fields being the best quarterback in that class.

Edit: @TuscanyTile2 I stopped tagging you because I have to imagine this is getting tiring for you

I'm more exhausted than Robert Saleh and his coaching staff.

• Haha 1

First of all Darnold never played for the Rams so cheat doesn’t even know what he’s talking about. Dementia I guess. 

Second of all did everyone on earth forget that Darnold already did this same thing with the Panthers. September MVP only to eventually collapse and get run of out town.

15 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

First of all Darnold never played for the Rams so cheat doesn’t even know what he’s talking about. Dementia I guess. 

Second of all did everyone on earth forget that Darnold already did this same thing with the Panthers. September MVP only to eventually collapse and get run of out town.

Lol exactly. Same thing in Carolina. I like Sam but give me a break. Talk to me in December. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

BB hates the Jets - Almost to the point that it might very well just be schtick.

Yep. And if Mac jones ever becomes decent, BB will say he always knew he would.  

They should be all on the jags and Trevor, the generational talent who has the most turnovers in the nfl the past 3 yrs and is on the cusp of 0-3

• Upvote 1