Samuel on Jets

jetfuel

That's what I want to hear, the Jets made an attempt to see what they wanted. Would I pay two first rounders for? Heck, no! I guess part of not hearing about some news is that Mangini doesn't like to discuss a lot about strategy and player info. Unless it's good. Which is fine.

With the drafting of Revis, I don't know if the Jets would pull as hard as others who are in desperate need of a shutdown Cornerback. If they were able to aquire Asante, Revis would then be the Nickelback. But, an upside plus to that is that the Jets could possibly challenge the Broncos for the best 1-3 Cornerback's in the NFL with Samuel, Andre Dyson and Revis.

The play here is to take a back seat, grab some popcorn and watch how all this unfolds. Best case is a partial hold out and/or a very disgruntled player. Perhaps he might even make it into camp and then pull a hammy or something.... :) The Pats would still on the hook for his salary. Other Pats players get to see the club playing hardball (again) while paying big bucks to outsiders and finally he may take a little of his open market value but not all that much.

It is all good. We should not be buyers in this market.

Wow, I wouldn't give up 2 first round picks for him, but could you imagine Samuel, Dyson, Revis, Barrett and Miller as your 1-5 cbs? I wouldn't mind that at all.

yeah & I wouldn't mind brady peyton & chad as our q'backs but I just don't see it happening

Wow, I wouldn't give up 2 first round picks for him, but could you imagine Samuel, Dyson, Revis, Barrett and Miller as your 1-5 cbs? I wouldn't mind that at all.

Something tells me that if they got Samuel, Barrett would be long gone. That's way too much money @ CB. The Jets are probably just making sure the $$ market for Samuel is high so the Pats don't get off cheap. Like we did with Branch. Hopefully it won't backfire and let the Pats get extra picks by driving the market up.

2 first rd draft picks?? No way this deal will happen ,unless samuel comes to the jets b/c

he wants to play for Mangini and maybe play for less money than clements.But I don't

think any team will give up 2 first rounders for samuel no matter how bad they are

hurting at Cb...... period.

but it would be nice to steal him away from BB and the pats.

No way we're going after Samuel. All this simply is Mangini and Mikey T poking their stick into the embers of turmoil and making sure the fire is still burning. Just like they did with Branch last year. I love our FO right now.

No way we're going after Samuel. All this simply is Mangini and Mikey T poking their stick into the embers of turmoil and making sure the fire is still burning. Just like they did with Branch last year. I love our FO right now.

yea good insight there B-76...either way it's nice to know he WON'T be playing against s 1st game of the season-the guy had the same ability to ACTUALLY catch a football like Ty Law

exactly, make life a little more difficult for our friends in foxboro. i love it!

I think some posters are missing the point here. We have no intention of grabbing Samuels for this season. He can sit out this year until week-10 and still make $3 million this season. That's still more money than he's ever made in the NFL.

By feigning interest (or showing sincere interest) Samuels can rest assured that he will make his big bucks next year. Either ala Clements (8 x 80 mill) or ala Bly (5 x 33 mill)

We might have serious intent on bringing him aboard next year... we might not. One year has a way of changing needs. But they have two CB's that we've looked at (Samuels and Gay), and Pats can't tag both of them. I'd expect to see a greatly upgraded secondary NEXT year, when we make our serious run.

All the while we toss a wrench into their secondary for this year.... It's genius.

yea good insight there B-76...either way it's nice to know he WON'T be playing against s 1st game of the season-the guy had the same ability to ACTUALLY catch a football like Ty Law

I think he will be playing week one.

This is a shut down corner here, and I still think two 1st round draft picks are too much. Also the two 1st round draft picks would most likely be around 20-25.

A "shutdown corner" doesn't get 10 ints. in a season. I'm just sayin'

I think we can also be reasonably assured that EVERYONE on the Jets knows exactly what the current rules are and exactly what can be said/done what what cannot be said/done with respect to tampering.

I still think that if you are a vindictive player who is really trying to stick it to your team then the most effective way to do that is not by holding out it is by coming in and underperforming or getting yourself onto the injury list.... "I'd love to play this week coach but the pain you know... the pain is just too much for me right now".....

A "shutdown corner" doesn't get 10 ints. in a season. I'm just sayin'

:thumbup:

You nailed it...

He is a good CB that was in a lot of good situations, partly because of his coach and partly because of the other team...

Teams still threw the ball his way and managed to find some success... it was limited... but it was there....

I really don't think there is much palace intrigue here.

read the article... it suggests that the jets inquiry into samuels could have been before the draft when they were seriously looking for a cornerback. since then they picked up Revis.

the only way this information is coming out now is because the "source" of this story is probably Samuels agent trying to drum up interest in his client. not many teams, including the Jets, will deal 2 first round draft picks and pay a high market price for any player let alone Samuels (who i think is a good but over-rated player), even if the Pats were willing to trade him.

besides, the Jets will sooner invest in a top defensive lineman before investing so much in a cornerback. not to say they wouldn't pick up another cornerback, just not for such a high price. in other words cornerback is not the missing piece to a Jet's superbowl run to warrant such a high price.

My prediction is that Samuels will either return to work with his tail between his legs or he'll be sitting out until week 10 hoping to get a long term contract next year.

I really don't think there is much palace intrigue here.

read the article... it suggests that the jets inquiry into samuels could have been before the draft when they were seriously looking for a cornerback. since then they picked up Revis.

the only way this information is coming out now is because the "source" of this story is probably Samuels agent trying to drum up interest in his client. not many teams, including the Jets, will deal 2 first round draft picks and pay a high market price for any player let alone Samuels (who i think is a good but over-rated player), even if the Pats were willing to trade him.

besides, the Jets will sooner invest in a top defensive lineman before investing so much in a cornerback. not to say they wouldn't pick up another cornerback, just not for such a high price. in other words cornerback is not the missing piece to a Jet's superbowl run to warrant such a high price.

My prediction is that Samuels will either return to work with his tail between his legs or he'll be sitting out until week 10 hoping to get a long term contract next year.

good call

i honestly doubt the jets would pay such a high price even without compensation, and even more so if they like what they see in revis.

I think if they pay a high price for anyone in free agency now or in 2008 it will be for a defensive lineman who could really solidify the defense.

Lets just wait and see what happens. Lets watch Samuel make it to free agency next year (unrestricted?) and then make a run at him when it will hopefully cost them no compensation, except about $80M.

Samuel and more importamtly his agent know he is not going to get anywhere near the 10 ints this upcoming season this is why they are pushing so hard to make something happen before season starts

look for Samuel to play entire season and collect 3 ints next season if he lucky - he will move onto another team and collect and average contract unless someone stupid like jerry lewis in DALLASS steps up and give the Patriots what they are fishing for.

No way he ends up here.

First of all, New England would never trade him to a division rival.

Second, if they DID, there is no way in hell we should give those ****suckers two first round picks. They already have two every single year. They don't need any more help.

The whole point is trading up for Revis is to get a shutdown corner. Revis better be as good or better than Samuel so there should be no reason to pay him 80 million.

I agree, that's why they made such a big play for revise.

I think he will be playing week one.

That's been my feeling on this whole Samuel thing. How many times have we heard it before? .. "I'm NEVER playing for them again" " The damage is irrepairable" blah ba blah. Then bingo a new contract gets hammered out and all is well in River City. I fully expect Samuel to be in a Pats uniform on opening day. Hopefully I'm wrong.

i remember saying that he would sit out a while back and people bashing me for making a statment like that.

victory is mine!

I've been waiting for you to chime in on this. I was a "basher" and I'll give you your props. We'll have to wait until July though to know if he's really holding out or just posturing for a long term deal.

He is Very Very Good Player.

But... two things here. Gain & Loss.

Yeah we would have one of the best secondaries in the league = Gain.

We would lose 2 first round picks & The Pats would gain 2 first round picks = Loss.

Now IMO I dont know about all of you but I am sick and tired of seeing the patriots with multiple first round picks EVERY YEAR! So in this scenario I feel the Loss outweighs the gain. Sorry Asante you would look great in green, but we will not supply multiple picks to the Patriots first round draft for at least 2 more more years and help ensure with multiple picks the dynasty continues! THE BUCK STOPS HERE! Bite the bullet and Just say No!

Lantern

Some Jets fans make me laugh out loud.

1) Mr. Mangini must be a big fan of Bill Belichick's favorite book: Art of War. Rule #1 (or 2 or 3...whatever) try to sabotage your "enemy" through bullsh*t ...hahahahaha...

2) People here think that Asante Samuel is worth an 8 year @ 10 mil per year, contract? How many opiates were in your cornflakes this morning?

3) You think Asante Samuel is worth two first round picks? So, you are willing to help make the "best" team in the AFC East a legit threat for years to come?

4) You all call Tom Brady a "system QB" - whatever. But you know what? If anyone is a "system" player - it's Asante. What Asante should do is THANK what is arguably the best front 3 in football for his success last season.

5) No team is going to give Asante what he wants and give the Pats two first round picks as compensation. That is insanity. All it's doing is feeding Asante's super-sized ego. The Jets FO has done what it possibly can do - cause a ripple and help keep Asante on the bench 'till week 10 or beyond.

Archived