So the Jets cant beat the Texans? Really?

Matt39

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it is winnable and also loseable

Mark's 1st start...i'm sure we will be about 4 pt dogs

Of course. The Jets will probably be dogs the entire season.

But a 4 pt dog is not Vegas giving the Texans any love. Home teams are usually 3 point favs anyway.

But, like the OP mentioned, I believe the Texans are vastly overrated. Their defense is awful, even with Super Mario. They get shredded on the ground. That's tailor made for the Jets who want to run it.

If Schaub has a hot hand - and with Lito struggeling - it could be a long day - I have said all along pressuring their QB will the key for a Jets victory. Their running game is not scaring anyone at this point of the preseason. But I can easily see a pick 6 coming from our defence. A victory over the Texans will be a huge lift and a confidence booster for this team.

Schaub will probably be getting treatment twice a day on his leg prior to the game, so I don't think it will be that much of an issue. However, it will be great to see the best WR in the game in Andre Johnson go up against Revis. Revis does get a lot of respect, but this is going to be a good game and good stretch of games to show how damned good he is.

If Revis can contain Johnson, I'm not too afraid of their secondary weapons. Slaton is a beast, but our defense seems to have a tougher time stopping the more downhill rushing teams like the giants with Jacobs or vikings with AD. It looked like our team was getting better in the screen game, so that should bode well against slaton.

When you watched the Vikings game last night, you saw how the texans had pretty much the entire team in the box, but they are not extremely disciplined and seemed to over-pursue on most runs. This makes me think i would like to see them run right between the tackles with leon; one cut and go.

Should be a good overall game.

Of course its loseable. Every game is, but the automatic 0-4 to start the season was off base.

Acting as if the Texans and Saints are some juggernauts.

The Jets are going to start the season 2 and 2 and then the schedule gets easier from there. They are coming home from Texas with a win. At the end of the day, Texas will be saying, don't mess with New Jersey.

Schaub is already hurt. Their run defense still sucks.

That team is not that good. Very winnable game to start the season. Shush with this automatic 0-4 garbage.

I think we can win every game. Will we??? I have no idea. But you have to believe you can win any game, or why else play it. A lot will depend on how much they give to Sanchez. Our D will be in full swing and you know the running game will be there. We're playing a rookie QB though. Anything can happen.

The Texans always start slow...Schaub is already hurt...the defense has a new coordinator but the secondary is banged up:

Startng CB Jacques Reeves has a broken leg.

FS Eugene Wilson went down last night from a Farve block.

The JETS will start the Sanchez era with a win...24-10.

The Jets will win because of a stout defense that will hold the Texans supposedly potent offense to only 13 points.

Jets Offense vs. Houston Defense: Advantage Jets - Based on the three headed monster or Jones, Washington, & Greene, the Texans will be forced to put 7/8 in the box just to be able to stop the run. With our extremely strong O-Line I foresee an average of 4 yards at least per carry. And I don't see the Houston Texans being fast enough to recognize and shut down the screen passes and such to Leon. I actually think that we will set up the pass by being able to run, Sanchez is really very good at the play action fake and there isn't anyone on the LB corps of the Texans who can keep up with Keller, and at the same time, I think Stuckey/Clowney in the slot will also be something we can exploit. Ball control offense, and expect an early Play Action Deep Pass by Ryan to set a statement that you can't just center your gameplan around stopping our running attack.

Jets Defense vs. Houston Offense: Advantage Jets - Although Andre Johnson is an ABSOLUTE BEAST, I think the Texans will have to get very very innovative to try and get him the ball. Revis will absolutely shut him down, leaving Sheppard covering Kevin Walter, who personally doesn't scare me at all. Jenkins inherently takes up two O-Linemen and forces them in the backfield on every down, leaving Scott & Harris to blitz all day long. Yes Gholston will be a big question mark (personally I am a Vernon believer) and think he will step up and that Ryan will compensate for some of VG's weaknesses, namely pass coverage in his gameplan. I think our Defense needs to be careful of Slaton in the Flats, Andre Johnson's crossing routes & Maybe Most importantly Owen Daniels the TE because one of our LB's is going to have to cover him.

Jets 24 - Texans 13

Rex Ryan's First Victory

Mark Sanchez's First Victory & TD Pass (to Keller)

Leon Washington Rushing TD of 15+ yards

Vernon Gholston's 1st Sack

Jim Leonhard's 1st INT

You are right that the Texans can lose any game, but we always play much better at home than on the road. The poster above that said it's all about pressuring Schaub is correct. If you don't get to him and rattle him him, Owen Daniels and Steve Slaton can pick apart a defense. The Jets missing their best pass rusher from last year and their starting LDE is not going to help that. Is the Jets secondary man, or zone? Man seems to work better against the passing game but there aren't that many teams that have the corners and safety to run that.

The Texans defense is very bi-polar. Sometimes they can shut down a completely dominant run game, and the next game they are swiss cheese again. It appears that there is more of the same in our preseason but I can't definitively say this will be so in the regular season. Nobody except for the Texans coaching staff knows what they have in Brian Cushing (I'm guessing an injury prone LB, but I hope I'm wrong) and how the return of Dunta Robinson will effect the secondary (I'm guessing he'll be in nickel packages for game 1, but our secondary is trash so he could easily be a starter as well, he just has no experience in the new scheme).

But pretty much the key to the game is making sure you can shut down Schaub2Johnson. The easiest way to do that is knocking Schaub down, as he is much more fragile and easily rattled.

You are right that the Texans can lose any game, but we always play much better at home than on the road. The poster above that said it's all about pressuring Schaub is correct. If you don't get to him and rattle him him, Owen Daniels and Steve Slaton can pick apart a defense. The Jets missing their best pass rusher from last year and their starting LDE is not going to help that. Is the Jets secondary man, or zone? Man seems to work better against the passing game but there aren't that many teams that have the corners and safety to run that.

The Texans defense is very bi-polar. Sometimes they can shut down a completely dominant run game, and the next game they are swiss cheese again. It appears that there is more of the same in our preseason but I can't definitively say this will be so in the regular season. Nobody except for the Texans coaching staff knows what they have in Brian Cushing (I'm guessing an injury prone LB, but I hope I'm wrong) and how the return of Dunta Robinson will effect the secondary (I'm guessing he'll be in nickel packages for game 1, but our secondary is trash so he could easily be a starter as well, he just has no experience in the new scheme).

But pretty much the key to the game is making sure you can shut down Schaub2Johnson. The easiest way to do that is knocking Schaub down, as he is much more fragile and easily rattled.

I'm actually happy to hear that.

I think Revis vs Johnson will be a great matchup.

I'm actually happy to hear that.

I think Revis vs Johnson will be a great matchup.

It's very very reliant on what happens up front. I've seen one corner hold AJ down without any real pressure on the QB.

Nnamdi Asomugha. Corners who are big, physical, and fast do better on Johnson, and they pretty much have to match up with him size wise. Cortland Finnegan, who is a pretty good corner couldn't really beat out Johnson unless Tennessee was beating up Schaub. Schaub has the tendency to make mistakes when under pressure, where as no matter what kind of pressure or coverage you have on Johnson he can be absolutely brilliant in the face of it all.

Probably the best evidence of how great Johnson can be here are his highlights when the Texans played Miami (I am sure Miami fans will tell you how good he is as well) last season. He had a fumble, but he completely made up for it on a 4th and 10 play in the 4th quarter during the 2 minute drill when the Texans had to have a touchdown to win.

I'm not saying Revis has no chance whatsoever, but it will be a real interesting match-up. I'm guessing there will be double coverage on AJ quite a bit.

Schaub is already hurt. Their run defense still sucks.

That team is not that good. Very winnable game to start the season. Shush with this automatic 0-4 garbage.

Agreed.

The people predicting Houston to win that division and or 10+ games are pathetic.

Every year all we hear about is how awesome Houston is going to be until they once again go 7-9 or 8-8. If Darrelle Revis is this world beater Cornerback that a lot of Jet fans believe he is, he should SHUT DOWN Andre Johnson, and with Jenkins healthy our run D should shut down Slaton.

Texans Secondary blows, Sanchez shouldn't have that hard of a day.

Houston is our most winnable game until Miami or Buffalo. We have to win it.

Every year all we hear about is how awesome Houston is going to be until they once again go 7-9 or 8-8. If Darrelle Revis is this world beater Cornerback that a lot of Jet fans believe he is, he should SHUT DOWN Andre Johnson, and with Jenkins healthy our run D should shut down Slaton.

Who's gonna shut down Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels? Lito? Gholston?

They have weapons who can beat us. I do like our chances to run against their D, though.

Archived