How Good were The Who!!!

JoeWillie

The WHO did good enough for what they are. The problem I have is with the networks in general. Ever since Janet and her booby they have been going ultra safe for the Half Time shows and that bothers me. There needs to be something more interesting happening then Tom Petty, Springsteen and the Who...I did enjoy hearing these guys but its just a little blah for the spectacle that the SB show is supposed to be IMO. At least two of these guys perform, maybe sing some of eachothers songs.

The problem is is that the NFL is playing towards Mr and Mrs Corporate America with their halftime shows and not the 18-31 age groups.

I'm sure there are plenty of newer acts out there that would probably love to do halftime at the Super Bowl. Are those acts though willing to bow down to corporate politics maybe if asked "tone down" their acts if need be ?

The NFL wants it to be as safe and as controversy free as possible.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, Super Bowl 45 will be in Arlington.

If a country act, who would it be? Carrie Underwood? Brad Paisley? Someone else?

Super Bowl 46- Indianapolis

Super Bowl 47- New Orleans

I hear they have already signed Country legend Bad Blake for the Halftime Show

That would make a great article. Who fans, the good news is the looked like death. The bad news is that they sounded worse.

My brother told me that the instruments are always pre-recorded. Just the singing is live. I didn't know that.

They were dreadful.......the walking dead. Townshend's pasty belly almost caused me to skip dessert.

The stage was very cool though.

The WHO did good enough for what they are. The problem I have is with the networks in general. Ever since Janet and her booby they have been going ultra safe for the Half Time shows and that bothers me. There needs to be something more interesting happening then Tom Petty, Springsteen and the Who...I did enjoy hearing these guys but its just a little blah for the spectacle that the SB show is supposed to be IMO. At least two of these guys perform, maybe sing some of eachothers songs.

Wonder if CBS had anything to do with choosing the Who? After all, the Who provides the theme song for their highest rated show.

Let's see Green Day at halftime.

The Who are a great band, and there's some seriously stupid comments in this thread. Their show wasn't great but it wasn't awful either, I enjoyed it. Much more than I would have enjoyed some of today's garbage.

The NFL does need to get away from this though and move on, the ultra conservative selections will need to end mostly because they're running out of legends that will put on a show.

The halftime show never does the band justice though. The Rolling Stones' performance was truly ****ed up, there must have been some serious sound issues because they're much better than they sounded. I've seen them since and they were amazingly good.

I thought they sounded and looked allright, the stage lighting was awesome, but the 5 song medley thing just didn't cut it for me, too all over the place. 5 minutes of love reign o'er me or who are you would have been better in my book

and I'm a huge who fan going back to 1981

Wonder if CBS had anything to do with choosing the Who? After all, the Who provides the theme song for their highest rated show.

Let's see Green Day at halftime.

I was thinking that the cast of the upcoming Green Day Broadway Musical would make for a decent halftime show. Mainstream, but edgy. The big problem with them is that they tend to get a little anti-American when the Super Bowl is really all about being as pro-America as it possibly can be. You know they love those Bills/Pats/jints, red, white, & blue games.

I'm not a particularly huge fan of hip-hop, but Jay-Z, who did the opening montage for CBS, along with the Opening Ceremony at Yankee Stadium, is at present a far superior entertainer than The Who.

Jay Z is basically a guy with a kareoke machine who can't sing.In that NY song they played nonstop during the Yankees run, I defy anyone to tell me the lyrics. It's droning nasal gibberish. I actually saw them both in the same concert, the Concert of NYC after 9/11. Jay Z sucked to the point they stopped his set and ushered him off , the Who stole the show. Now granted they are old and only half the original lineup is still alive. But you rap fans are going to have to come to grips that rap doesn't age as well as classic rock, and it doesn't because while Townsend is a songwriter and a musician Jay Z and his ilk are not and never will be. No one is going to listen to anything Jay Z did 40 years from now, it's easily as forgettable as a commercial.

Jay Z is basically a guy with a kareoke machine who can't sing.In that NY song they played nonstop during the Yankees run, I defy anyone to tell me the lyrics. It's droning nasal gibberish. I actually saw them both in the same concert, the Concert of NYC after 9/11. Jay Z sucked to the point they stopped his set and ushered him off , the Who stole the show. Now granted they are old and only half the original lineup is still alive. But you rap fans are going to have to come to grips that rap doesn't age as well as classic rock, and it doesn't because while Townsend is a songwriter and a musician Jay Z and his ilk are not and never will be. No one is going to listen to anything Jay Z did 40 years from now, it's easily as forgettable as a commercial.

I didn't realize that current performances should be selected based on 'withstanding the test of time'.

This is the Super Bowl, not the rock and roll hall of fame.

I didn't realize that current performances should be selected based on 'withstanding the test of time'.

It's wierd, the mere mention of rap to an old white dude can sometimes trigger a bizarre rant like the one we just saw here. Like it's a trigger word that incites a furious rage, despite what the actual context was of its mention.

The halftime show never does the band justice though. The Rolling Stones' performance was truly ****ed up, there must have been some serious sound issues because they're much better than they sounded.

Glad you mentioned that, I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed. I don't know if the sound in the stadium was messed up or just the TV feed. But a lot of the excitement of the Stones was taken away by that weird sound setup.

It's wierd, the mere mention of rap to an old white dude can sometimes trigger a bizarre rant like the one we just saw here. Like it's a trigger word that incites a furious rage, despite what the actual context was of its mention.

now now that's enough out of you young whippersnappers. I prefer a good classical medley myself. Much higher quality than that newfangled Jazz. You kids simply don't know what real music is. /condescending speech no one wants to hear

Exactly. Do you know who's in that stadium? The vast majority of them ain't Jay Z fans I can assure you.

The rich corporate types who can afford SB tix would much rather see The Who than some rapper. Did you happen to hear the crowd during the chorus to Won't Get Fooled Again? 75,000 geezers shouted it out.

I liked the show. The band members aren't too pretty anymore, but the music and production value were great. Songs like Pinball Wizard are still popular to everyone, except perhaps deaf dumb and blind kids..but they couldn't see, hear, or comprehend the show so screw them.

If the league brings in some idiot rapper they're going to lose half their audience.

If the league brings in some idiot rapper they're going to lose half their audience.

And I wouldn't listen either, even though I'm 23 and in the "age group" being geared to in that case. I was making people get quiet during this SB halftime show. Even if they are old and suck now, they're still legends, and its a rare opportunity to see them performing live.

Exactly. Do you know who's in that stadium? The vast majority of them ain't Jay Z fans I can assure you.

The rich corporate types who can afford SB tix would much rather see The Who than some rapper. Did you happen to hear the crowd during the chorus to Won't Get Fooled Again? 75,000 geezers shouted it out.

You nailed it. Money talks and BS walks...people are spending thousands of dollars for this event...and they want to relate to entertainment from their generation, not today's hip hop crowd...

There are 75K in the stadium, and 100 Million watching around the world.

If you think they're interested in catering to the former... well, I don't even have a cheeky insult for something so foolish.

Though they are not as popular in the mainstream this still is a classic band - Deep Purple - and this is how old farts can still rock.

+1 Why these guys are not in the Rock and Roll hall of fame is beyond me.

Steve Morse is prob. one of the greatest guitar players no one hae ever heard of and that version of Lazy was great as well as Highway star.

Unfortunatly Purple will never even get a sniff. Even w/out Blackmore and Lord thses guys still bring it. I would love to take my son to see these guys.

like an old car they needed some warming up.....but won't get fooled again was pretty good, imo. all in all i'd rather listen to roger daltrey fart into a microphone than watch some dipsh*t like kanye west or some of the other sh*t they've had in the past.

Daltrey looked like sht, but youre right about Kanye West or some other loser.

The Who is one of the best bands of all time, but I cant blame some people being annoyed that they cant go with a more contemporary artist. As much as people around here are getting on Jay-Z or some other acts, Pete Townsends a kid toucher so....come on now.

They've done the same theme, what four years in a row now?

Next year, we're digging up Jim Morrison.

I liked the show. The band members aren't too pretty anymore, but the music and production value were great. Songs like Pinball Wizard are still popular to everyone, except perhaps deaf dumb and blind kids..but they couldn't see, hear, or comprehend the show so screw them.

Well why does it have to be an idiot rapper? Why can't it just be someone more contemporary than the Who?

Well why does it have to be an idiot rapper? Why can't it just be someone more contemporary than the Who?

Well, next years half-time entertainer, Bad Blake, is a little younger than The Who.

He is 57. His country theme will play well with the Dallas based SuperBowl next year.

Well, next years half-time entertainer, Bad Blake, is a little younger than The Who.

He is 57. His country theme will play well with the Dallas based SuperBowl next year.

Somehow I don't think Jeff Bridges will be the halftime entertainment in next year's Super Bowl. Just a hunch. And really, a country artist would be just as polarizing as a rap artist. They need to stick with these classic rock acts to attract the widest demographic, and offend the fewest.

But you rap fans are going to have to come to grips that rap doesn't age as well as classic rock.

I disagree, sir. Afrika Bambaataa, Slick Rick, Eric B. and Rakim, PE and Flash's music all stand the test of time.

You also have to admit that some classic rock is horribly dated. In all music genres, there are artists who trancend their era. Including Hip Hop.

+1 Why these guys are not in the Rock and Roll hall of fame is beyond me.

Steve Morse is prob. one of the greatest guitar players no one hae ever heard of and that version of Lazy was great as well as Highway star.

Unfortunatly Purple will never even get a sniff. Even w/out Blackmore and Lord thses guys still bring it. I would love to take my son to see these guys.

That is their destiny. It was only after seeing the WHO at halftime did it make me realize the power and energy and level these guys from Purple still play at.

Archived