Hackington

Maxman

I feel like the debate over Hackington is going to be intense. Much like the debate over Chad Pennington was.

So I would like to be the first person to use the term: Hackington.

Remember we are all Jets fans and most likely we will be debating this for years. So pace yourself, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Let the games begin.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I feel like the debate over Hackington is going to be intense. Much like the debate over Chad Pennington was.

Remember we are all Jets fans and most likely we will be debating this for years. So pace yourself, this is a marathon not a sprint.

Let the games begin.

It's also getting close to merging all the Hackenberg threads as the stuff is getting discussed in like 5 different threads.

Considering Pennington was better at Pro-Level than Hackenberg was in College I don't really see the comparison.

I expect he will be one of the least divisive QB's once he's playing and I bet I'll also be one of the few idiots arguing to give him time of he shows any kind of talent at all.

The kid knows how to run a pro style offense, in fact Tom Brady's and the Patriots' offense. If we go into Training Camp with Fitzpatrick still unsigned I would like to see Hackenberg be given every opportunity to win the starting job. If Fitz DOES sign, then I really like Petty and Hack having such a smart mentor to learn from. I think we now finally have our franchise QB of the future and if pushed into duty a player who could be the Jets starting QB for the next decade.

As far as the Pennington comparisons go, I see very little in their styles of play, throwing motion, ball velocity or placement, size or strength to justify. Chad is clearly a brainiac and smarter than Hack but as for the type of quarterback that we're looking at, I see more Tom Brady than Chad Pennington in Hackenberg's style. Those Chad Pennington vs Tom Brady threads went on and on for almost a decade, thankfully Brady won't be around much longer.

36 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

The kid knows how to run a pro style offense, in fact Tom Brady's and the Patriots' offense. If we go into Training Camp with Fitzpatrick still unsigned I would like to see Hackenberg be given every opportunity to win the starting job. If Fitz DOES sign, then I really like Petty and Hack having such a smart mentor to learn from. I think we now finally have our franchise QB of the future and if pushed into duty a player who could be the Jets starting QB for the next decade.

As far as the Pennington comparisons go, I see very little in their styles of play, throwing motion, ball velocity or placement, size or strength to justify. Chad is clearly a brainiac and smarter than Hack but as for the type of quarterback that we're looking at, I see more Tom Brady than Chad Pennington in Hackenberg's style. Those Chad Pennington vs Tom Brady threads went on and on for almost a decade, thankfully Brady won't be around much longer.

Apparently Hack is something of a brain too.  He was checking off at 18.

Why do Jet fans make it a badge of honor to predict doom & gloom? We have 2 QBs (Petty & Hack) now that haven't had the prerequisite 4 years to see what we have. It's been over 40 years what's a few more? 103 sacks! 103 sacks!

Thats taking a f*cking beating. We actually have people lamenting the fact that we didn't sign Brian Hoyer yet we've already given up on a draft pick before he's even shown up to camp. Jet fans should just show up to the draft flogging themselves. I was listening to Rick Nuhisel talking about Christian & he spoke of the beating he took, the change in offense and the lack of support around him. Look at Brady when his Oline doesn't protect him. Take a look back a few years ago when Rivers was throwing picks left & right when his Oline deteriorated. You can't succeed at QB without an Oline. If he looks like a QB, acts like a QB & studies like a QB, has the size, arm, and will, he has a chance. What a bunch of whiny quitters,lol.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Why do Jet fans make it a badge of honor to predict doom & gloom? We have 2 QBs (Petty & Hack) now that haven't had the prerequisite 4 years to see what we have. It's been over 40 years what's a few more? 103 sacks! 103 sacks!

Thats taking a f*cking beating. We actually have people lamenting the fact that we didn't sign Brian Hoyer yet we've already given up on a draft pick before he's even shown up to camp. Jet fans should just show up to the draft flogging themselves. I was listening to Rick Nuhisel talking about Christian & he spoke of the beating he took, the change in offense and the lack of support around him. Look at Brady when his Oline doesn't protect him. Take a look back a few years ago when Rivers was throwing picks left & right when his Oline deteriorated. You can't succeed at QB without an Oline. If he looks like a QB, acts like a QB & studies like a QB, has the size, arm, and will, he has a chance. What a bunch of whiny quitters,lol.

Some call it context, some call it excuses!

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Let the games begin.

Two things Chaddy was famous for :

1. Noodle arm
  2. He's like an egg back there

I don't think either applies to Hackenbush.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You're right...we need to bring Slauson back!

For those of us Jets fans with concerns about using the 51st pick on the 9th ranked QB in the BIgTen,  I propose a support group called DTH - initially for "Doubt the Hack" but could transform back to it's urban dictionary roots; "Down to Hang" with fellow Jets fans once this chapter of Jets history is complete.

not as divisive as the Anti Chad Militia but allows the free expression of concerns for our team and longevity of Mac

Time will tell if we become HackenFans, let the healing begin :)

No one knows what will become of Christian Hackenberg but just the thought of 2 years from now all his instant doubters on this website wearing his jersey into the stadium vs the Patriots and the Jets being 10 point favorites brings a huge smile to my face. Of course the refrain will be "I always thought he had a chance", lol. They'll be so much revisionist history on here the mods will have to go back & create a thread with all of the flip floppers lying through their teeth.

High risk? High risk? You people are delusional. He carries the same risk as every other 2nd round qb taken. The wash-out rate remains 50-50 at best in that spot taken.

It would be high risk if the jets had traded Joe Montana, and replaced him with Hackenberg. THAT would be high risk. 

It is what it is, which is a qb taken in a second round qb, with some considerable upside, that will be given a shot. Happens every year in the NFL

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No one knows what will become of Christian Hackenberg but just the thought of 2 years from now all his instant doubters on this website wearing his jersey into the stadium vs the Patriots and the Jets being 10 point favorites brings a huge smile to my face. Of course the refrain will be "I always thought he had a chance", lol. They'll be so much revisionist history on here the mods will have to go back & create a thread with all of the flip floppers lying through their teeth.

Won't happen. Even if he turns out to be elite, most of them will be pointing to some obscure stats to prove that they were right, and he actually sucks, but is the beneficiary of dropped interceptions that nobody else gets, or his passes are almost all bad, but his receivers bail him out, or whatever it will be. The scouts on this board are never wrong, they will stick to their guns and protect their street cred, cause street cred FTW!!

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

High risk? High risk? You people are delusional. He carries the same risk as every other 2nd round qb taken. The wash-out rate remains 50-50 at best in that spot taken.

It would be high risk if the jets had traded Joe Montana, and replaced him with Hackenberg. THAT would be high risk. 

It is what it is, which is a qb taken in a second round qb, with some considerable upside, that will be given a shot. Happens every year in the NFL

Oh, wait till you see some of the "this was the worst draft pick the Jets have ever made, and that is saying a lot with this franchise" type posts that have been going on. Its staggering. Many are literally acting like the Jets gave up the 16 and 17 draft to trade up to 1 for him. Its staggering the stupidity going on here, and that is saying a lot from this fan base.

9 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Oh, wait till you see some of the "this was the worst draft pick the Jets have ever made, and that is saying a lot with this franchise" type posts that have been going on. Its staggering. Many are literally acting like the Jets gave up the 16 and 17 draft to trade up to 1 for him. Its staggering the stupidity going on here, and that is saying a lot from this fan base.

LMAO! This franchise once took a kicker in the 2nd round & after taking a 230Lb strong armed smart 21 year old QB we have fans talking about "worst ever pick". Get f*cking real people! Alex Van Dyke, Vlad Ducasse, lol. Complain, complain, complain.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Apparently Hack is something of a brain too.  He was checking off at 18.

Jets drafted QBs Wonderlic scores since 2000 (the ones drafted with any hopes of developing into starters):

• Pennington 25
  • Clemens 35
  • Sanchez 28
  • Geno 24
  • Petty 31
  • Hackenberg 24

Average for all NFL QBs = 24 (average for current/recent SB winners is >30).

Obviously, some guys just process & react to visual/physical information faster, but give them a paper test and it's just not their thing. They can't concentrate for that long & do their best thinking in 5-10 second spurts. Also it jumps from one topic to another, from full-paragraph math problems to word association, and that has little to do with what are often 2-second decisions. There should be more quick-solve pictorial puzzles & assessment IMO, and though many take (read: should take) college students no time at all to solve, there should be no "a train leaves NY going 50 mph..." types, since a QB could be on the turf before he'd finish reading some of these questions. Or just some people see things fast but read slowly, and they're penalized for that even though the former is of far more use in football.

Anyway, going with what people say about what he's got upstairs, it's the reason I'm most hopeful he can turn his 2014-2015 play around and make good on his obvious physical talent. Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jets drafted QBs Wonderlic scores since 2000 (the ones drafted with any hopes of developing into starters):

• Pennington 25
  • Clemens 35
  • Sanchez 28
  • Geno 24
  • Petty 31
  • Hackenberg 24

Obviously, some guys just process & react to visual/physical information faster, but give them a paper test and it's just not their thing. They can't concentrate for that long & do their best thinking in 5-10 second spurts. Also it jumps from one topic to another, from full-paragraph math problems to word association, and that has little to do with what are often 2-second decisions. There should be more quick-solve pictorial puzzles & assessment IMO, and though many take (read: should take) college students no time at all to solve, there should be no "a train leaves NY going 50 mph..." types, since a QB could be on the turf before he'd finish reading some of these questions. Or just some people see things fast but read slowly, and they're penalized for that even though the former is of far more use in football.

Anyway, going with what people say about what he's got upstairs, it's the reason I'm most hopeful he can turn his 2014-2015 play around and make good on his obvious physical talent. Time will tell.

We need to bring Clemens back!  I knew it!

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I don't think so.  Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong here, actually, and I have no problem with it at all.  For now, I can't get particularly excited about a draft pick who based on all available data, looks like a reach and another in a long line of Jets QBs who can't get it done.  This isn't a "doom and gloom" prediction, as it's been called here.  It's simply an honest and unbiased evaluation based on the facts we presently have.  Unfortunately, switching coaches (after a season that wasn't as good as it's been described), having a bad offensive line, and tapping your helmet like Tom Brady, isn't enough to make me ignore the tape/history/stats on the player.  In the end, I'll happily wear his jersey (I don't actually wear jerseys, but you get the idea) and be wrong that I thought a guy with a poor college career, including poor accuracy, and a poor combine that we took in the second round, turns out to be a valuable player.  In the end, I think you'll find most of the 'data' guys will do the same, they just don't delude themselves until they see it.

7 hours ago, The Troll said:

Hackington is too much like Pennington. Let's not think about our sad past. Let's think about our sad future! How about Hackenturd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would disagree.... Although Hackenberg has a great Football IQ he is not a Rhodes Scholar. Pennington had a great accurate arm but was limited in his throws. Hackenberg is not limited in his throws and has been inconsistent with his footwork.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• Pennington 25
  • Clemens 35
  • Sanchez 28
  • Geno 24
  • Petty 31
  • Hackenberg 24

The main takeaway here is that the cerebral Pennington scored one point higher than Geno Smith.

Archived