CIN Observations

KRL

Incredibly frustrating game to lose because the Jets dominated a good CIN team
in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Fantastic atmosphere generated by the
crowd:

Special Teams

- The worst game ever for Nick Folk since he's been here.  Missing a 22 yard FG
and a PAT is inexcusable

- Lachlan Edwards was terrific and the coverage units were air tight particuarly
against a big time returner like Adam Jones

- Jalin Marshall was solid in his punt returns and had a spectacular kick return that
set up a TD

Offense

- Awful production in the red zone, you can't go 2 for 5 and expect to win.  Especially
when Folk leaves 4 easy points on the field

- OLine was excellent across the board in both run blocking and pass protection.  They really
took Geno Atkins out of the game

- CIN did a good job taking away Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker.  But you have to be encouraged
by the production of our secondary options.  Quincy Enunwa, Matt Forte and Bilal Powell were
excellent and basically carried the offense

- Speaking of Forte you saw today exactly what he brings to an offense.  Smooth running and hands
out of the backfield like a WR

- Tremendous improvement across the board in Enunwa's game.  Many of the catches he made today he
wouldn't have last year

- Sub-par games across the board for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Marshall and Decker.  Too many missed connections
and Marshall's drop on the final drive of the game was a crusher

Defense

- Unbelievable game by the DLine, shades of the "Sack Exchange" with SEVEN sacks.  Particularly beastly
were Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon who both had "Canton" games

- Awful job by the secondary today, other than the INT by Marcus Williams they contributed to the loss
as much as Folk.  When your DLine generates seven sacks you can't bust coverages and give up big plays.
AJ Green is a premier WR but you can't get beat by Lafell and Uzomah, that's inexcusable.  Particularly
bad were Marcus Gilchrist and Williams  

- The defensive staff needed to adjust to CIN "dink & dunk" WR screen game sooner than they did.  Also
that gimmick "spread OLine" CIN used was so annoying    

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a star player is left one on one for the most part and ruins the game

they never did adjust to the WR screen, they ran it 4 times on the wining drive

1st and 10 at CIN 16

(3:18 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to A.Green to CIN 22 for 6 yards (D.Revis; B.Skrine)

1st and 10 at CIN 28

(2:30 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to A.Green to CIN 37 for 9 yards (M.Gilchrist, M.Wilkerson). PENALTY on NYJ-M.Gilchrist, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at CIN 37

2nd and 6 at NYJ 44

(2:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to J.Wright to NYJ 37 for 7 yards (D.Lee; D.Revis)

3rd and 13 at NYJ 40

(1:11 - 4th) (Shotgun) A.Dalton pass short right to A.Green to NYJ 29 for 11 yards (D.Revis)

(0:58 - 4th) Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:58.

4th and 2 at NYJ 29

(0:54 - 4th) Mike Nugent 47 Yd Field Goal

The good that can be taken out of the game is this:

- We generated 22 points (should've been 26 points) with bad games from Fitzpatrick,
Marshall & Decker

- Our secondary (Enunwa, Forte, Powell) options carried the offense

- We dominated CIN in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  We made Atkins a non-factor
and their OLine had to resort to gimmicks to do anything positive

- SEVEN sacks without Richardson

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

The good that can be taken out of the game is this:

- We generated 22 points (should've been 26 points) with bad games from Fitzpatrick,
Marshall & Decker

- Our secondary (Enunwa, Forte, Powell) options carried the offense

- We dominated CIN in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  We made Atkins a non-factor
and their OLine had to resort to gimmicks to do anything positive

- SEVEN sacks without Richardson

KRL you make awesome posts, very informative, and accurate assessments, but unfortunately in the NFL this day in age it comes down to which QB is better, and today the simple reason why Cincy beat the Jets is Dalton>>>>Fitz.

1 made plays to win, the other didn't. 

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Perfectly stated, start to finish.  Wouldn't change or alter a single word.

Nice summary.

I agree, but have to put Revis in any summary of the game, when he takes 15% of our cap and is a weak link.

On another note I'm starting to think we can plug anyone in the middle of our dline and they will be a stud with how good the rest of our line is.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

KRL you make awesome posts, very informative, and accurate assessments, but unfortunately in the NFL this day in age it comes down to which QB is better, and today the simple reason why Cincy beat the Jets is Dalton>>>>Fitz.

One threw to players who made players the other didn't. This was a team loss. Errors on specials D and O all contributed.

It has been said before, Fitz, Marshall and Decker had great years last year.  In the case of Marshall, the Jets won 2+ games on superhuman feats that you cannot count on repeating.

The secondary may be the area that is the Achilles heal.  To make the playoffs, a team needs some great position areas, but every position needs to be good.  They exceed expectations on the OL, but CB and S is looking a bit worrisome.

Yes, the Jets will get better as the year progresses, but so will other teams.  They will beat bad and eh teams because their DL is so dominant.  That is where the schedule challenges them.  

I am not seeing the Bills, with all of their problems and absences, beating the Jets.

But if the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, please cut the cord on Fitz.  His inability to get the ball downfield hinders the entire offense.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Incredibly frustrating game to lose because the Jets dominated a good CIN team
in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Fantastic atmosphere generated by the
crowd:

Special Teams

- The worst game ever for Nick Folk since he's been here.  Missing a 22 yard FG
and a PAT is inexcusable

- Lachlan Edwards was terrific and the coverage units were air tight particuarly
against a big time returner like Adam Jones

- Jalin Marshall was solid in his punt returns and had a spectacular kick return that
set up a TD

Offense

- Awful production in the red zone, you can't go 2 for 5 and expect to win.  Especially
when Folk leaves 4 easy points on the field

- OLine was excellent across the board in both run blocking and pass protection.  They really
took Geno Atkins out of the game

- CIN did a good job taking away Brandon Marshall & Eric Decker.  But you have to be encouraged
by the production of our secondary options.  Quincy Enunwa, Matt Forte and Bilal Powell were
excellent and basically carried the offense

- Speaking of Forte you saw today exactly what he brings to an offense.  Smooth running and hands
out of the backfield like a WR

- Tremendous improvement across the board in Enunwa's game.  Many of the catches he made today he
wouldn't have last year

- Sub-par games across the board for Ryan Fitzpatrick, Marshall and Decker.  Too many missed connections
and Marshall's drop on the final drive of the game was a crusher

Defense

- Unbelievable game by the DLine, shades of the "Sack Exchange" with SEVEN sacks.  Particularly beastly
were Leonard Williams and Steve McLendon who both had "Canton" games

- Awful job by the secondary today, other than the INT by Marcus Williams they contributed to the loss
as much as Folk.  When your DLine generates seven sacks you can't bust coverages and give up big plays.
AJ Green is a premier WR but you can't get beat by Lafell and Uzomah, that's inexcusable.  Particularly
bad were Marcus Gilchrist and Williams  

- The defensive staff needed to adjust to CIN "dink & dunk" WR screen game sooner than they did.  Also
that gimmick "spread OLine" CIN used was so annoying    

Pretty much the game I watched.  Nicely stated.

I agree with O'BrientoToon I thought Revis was a big factor in the loss today. I understand AJ Green is a stud receiver but some of those Dalton deep passes had more air under them than a punt. Revis seemed like he didn't want to challenge Green but on the flipside didn't make plays when the balls were basically 50-50 . 

On the Green TD he was supposed to be double covered.  Revis had outside responsibility and either Gilchrist

or Williams was supposed to have inside responsibility.  Neither player dropped into the middle of the field and

Revis was "burned".  It was very evident when you re-watched the play and Phil Simms did an excellent job

breaking it down

The deep ball isn't going to happen with Fitz; it just isn't. Our offense is based on the play of our WRs and Fitz being savy enough to find the open receiver. But, the receivers have to make big plays too. B. Marshall didn't have a good game and Cincy is too good for us to win with our vets not making big plays.

On the OL, i stated it before the season started, I though we should have let Breno go. He couldn't help until the middle of the season and by then it might be too late. We could have saved 5+ million and maybe brought in a different player or at least not require restructure of a CB that didn't look great. With the way the OL held up, maybe we should have done that.

My question is, is Breno still guaranteed his salary this year? Or, does he have to be on the 53 man roster for it to be guaranteed? If it isn't, I would cut him and hope, if we need him, he will be around ...

Outstanding summary as usual KRL.  The only addition I would make is a shout out to Bilal Powell who was a beast when we swapped him in to give Forte a blow.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but a steady dose of Powell on those two first down series inside the Cincinatti five yard line would have been a perfect recipe to cement our early advantage.

We all knew that the Bengals were a playoff caliber team and would be a tough opponent.  The Jets have many of them on their schedule.  They fought them hard and came up short.  Hopefully they continue to play as hard, while addressing the things they could do better, and perhaps win more such close games than lose.

But that being said, the Bengals may have been on the bottom end of the Jet's playoff caliber opponents this season.  I think the QB difference in the Jets and those teams will be very apparent when we sit here in December.  In order for Fitz to make up for his limitations, Decker and Marshall need to play, very, very well, and basically pluck balls out of the air that only they, not the defenders can.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Gee....like we didn't know that going into the game.  We shoulda thrown in the towel to start...we didn't have a chance.

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Outstanding summary as usual KRL.  The only addition I would make is a shout out to Bilal Powell who was a beast when we swapped him in to give Forte a blow.

I know hindsight is 20-20 but a steady dose of Powell on those two first down series inside the Cincinatti five yard line would have been a perfect recipe to cement our early advantage.

Bilal definitely appears to be a little more difficult to bring down than Forte.  I'm sure we'll see more of him in these situations as the season progresses.

6 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Gee....like we didn't know that going into the game.  We shoulda thrown in the towel to start...we didn't have a chance.

Losing by 1 point on a 47 yard FG with under a minute to go hardly sounds to me like not having a chance ...

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Not that black and white. Why was Dalton 'so hot'. The Jets secondary was putrid. It's like he was throwing to wide open receivers the whole game. 

The secondary was just atrocious but the coaches deserve a lot of the blame for those screens. You could just see them coming time and again, the big one where Green took off down the sideline - I was calling it as soon as Revis backed off before the play. Seriously frustrating. 

Fitz was poor but not as bad as people are saying. He made some nice plays, one of the best of which was right before the pick. Marshall just has to make that play, with no timeouts and 40 yards to make Fitz was always going to be forcing it. Folk leaving 4 simple points on the field cannot happen. Inexcusable. We should have won the game.

Forte isn't a physical back who's going to get you yardage that way, but he displays excellent vision. If there's a sliver of a hole, he gets everything anyone could out of it, but if there's nothing there, that's what you're gonna get, too. And his receiving ability is great. Like to see him on the field with Powell more, and have Powell come in more when a little power is required. 

Expected the defensive backfield to be an issue, and it was worse than expected. Expected the OL to be an issue, but it wasn't. 

Jalin Marshall was very physical in his returns. All of them. He fielded punts very nicely, and was tough to bring down every time. I suspect he'll get a lot better once he's completely comfortable back there. 

This is who Fitzpatrick is, and all season teams will be looking to take away the receivers who gave him (relatively, from a Jets historical standpoint) his gaudy stats last year. It's a passing league, and our passing game didn't get it done on offense or defense. The running game and seven sacks were squandered. This is going to require coaching to fix, because better talent isn't coming - especially in the secondary.  

I would add Skrine to the negative column. He had some bad penalties and seemed out of position a number of times as well as poor tackling.

Agree that Red Zone performance was awful.

On the plus side, the switch to the running game late was genius by Gailey. Just couldn't make up for the pile up of errors and defense giving up big plays that negated a phenomenal DL performance.

KRL, thanks for the excellent comments.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I would add Skrine to the negative column. He had some bad penalties and seemed out of position a number of times as well as poor tackling.

Agree that Red Zone performance was awful.

On the plus side, the switch to the running game late was genius by Gailey. Just couldn't make up for the pile up of errors and defense giving up big plays that negated a phenomenal DL performance.

KRL, thanks for the excellent comments.

I agree with you on Gailey's job. But many after the game wanted Chan fired.  

Amazing but true.  

in most games the difference between winning and losing is slight- exactly the case with our game- We played well enough to barely lose. Fitz had to be better- Dalton outplayed him- Folk has to make a chip shot field goal and not kick right into the line. The secondary has to be aware of screen passes which killed us all game. It all adds up to a slight loss even with all these happening. The blame can be shared by multiple players not making plays not just one

Archived