Jets just signed Josh McCown (MERGED)

JetFanatic

If he has to play it is very bad.  he is not 18-42 as a starter for nothing.  The upcoming season will suck harder than a Hoover.  We have one of the worst (if not the worst) coaches in the league and one of the worst prospective starting QBs---that is a formula for disaster

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Maxman said:

I disagree primarily because of his injury. When will Petty be ready? A torn labrum has a 6 month recovery time. Yes it is his non-throwing shoulder. But I am pretty sure he isn't doing much upper body stuff. So he is going to be pretty weak and limited heading into camp. Certainly doesn't seem like he is going to be throwing a football at minicamp.

i agree with this.  hack is going to be the guy through the otas.  at training camp it should be open and who ever wins, wins.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

If Bowles is anything like he was last year as far as going with a veteran QB and sticking with him "because he gives us the best chance to win".......

those are code words for "he gives us the best chance of losing by less than 3 TDs".

$6M + incentives is another case of the Jets bidding against themselves.    6m implies someone else was offering 5m.  Who was the someone else?   

As far as I can tell the QB musical chairs was about over and McCown was looking at 2-3M / year as a backup.  Why are we paying so much for so little?  

2015, Fitzpatrick 1 point 0

Reset

2016, Fitzpatrick 2 point 0

Reset

2017, Fitzpatrick 3 point 0

38 year old Journeyman QB. Just what the Jets need. Not looking forward to this season unless one of the youngbloods can step up.

After signing McCown, I think the organization has given Mac some security that he will not be fired after the 2017 season.  McCown will be the starter opening day, and hopefully help groom/develop Hack to eventually start once he invariably gets hurt or we are out of contention.  I think we use this deep draft to shore up other positions like safety or TE at #6, and continue to get younger players with whatever character-types Mac feels is best.  If Hackenberg suddenly improves over the course of 2017 great.  If he doesnt, we will be under 6 wins in a draft with "hopefully" 3 legit franchise QBs in Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen.  

Also, for anyone saying that "wait for next years QB" rarely works, often times the Matt Barkleys and Teddy Bridgewaters fall the year following when people touted them as the "next best thing" because of their physical limitations.  Neither of these consensus top 3 guys have any physical limitations at all, as they all have excellent size and arm strength for the position.  Could they elect to stay in school, sure.  But, in my opinion, if the jets have a top 3 pick, with a young roster and cap space, this would be a desirable job for a new coach to hopefully pair with one of these guys for the long term. 

3 hours ago, MaxAF said:

If Bowles is anything like he was last year as far as going with a veteran QB and sticking with him "because he gives us the best chance to win".......

That's the MAIN CONCERN for fans who sees Bowels' Parcellian ways regarding Vets. I stated this earlier, the bright side of Glass Joe McCown is that he's about as durable as JW12's comebacks are witty & hurtful . . . . so by game 2 or 3 Petty and/or Hack will get the nod to start the remainder of the season. 

8 hours ago, thadude said:

Why just 4 Qb's?  

Mac loves terrible quarterbacks we should also sign Tebow, Geno and Chad Pennington

Magnificent 7

You joke, but if the success of an NFL franchise revolves around a quarterback and the only great ones are found through the draft, well, you draft as many quarterbacks as you can until you find one that's good.  Russell Wilson was not drafted out of necessity.  Neither was Tom Brady.  Neither was Joe Montana.  Dan Marino was drafted by a Super Bowl team who already had a quarterback. 

I fully expect Maccagnan to go after Mitch Trubisky in the first round.  Keep drafting quarterbacks.  Bring 'em in for a year, see what you've got.  Don't stop until you find a great one.

SAR I

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

imo they will take a qb but probably not with the 6 pick.  maybe use a 4th or lower. teams just about have to start planning now for 3 or 4 seasons in the future.

Do you know why teams like the Patriots and Packers always have Franchise QB after Franchise QB  and teams like the jets never find 1 ? Those teams draft the QBs that are not good enough for lousy teams like the Jets at the bottom of the 1st round sit on them for a year or 2 and viola. The problem with Jet fans is that they have been programmed to believe that a QB drafted in the 1st round have to start that year or he's a bust.

The Jets drafted Mark Sanchez, messed him up and when that wasn't good enough, they followed it up by doing the exact same thing to Geno Smith . A new regime came along and decided to do things different than the norm, and the fans are up in arms because the QB they drafted early wasn't allowed to see the field .If this regime is as smart as I think them to be and if they're doing what I think they're doing, then Hack will be allowed to start , backed up by McCown with Trubisky waiting in the wings . The following season, you either draft another next year depending on what Hack does, or you ransom the draft position for picks to further build your team . 

8 hours ago, Powpow said:

Peyton wanted no part of NY. Darnold hasn't whispered such rebellions. Coming into an 0-16 team makes no difference. Plain to see the Jets are going all out to tank this coming season. If anything, Darnold should be flattered we're willing to fall flat on our mugs for the chance to draft him and make him the 2nd coming of Joe Willie. How could he resist that. 

That's what the Baltimore fans said about John Elway before he held out on them.  That's what the San Diego fans said about Eli Manning before he ditched them.  That's what Jets fans said about Peyton Manning and New York City and the legendary Bill Parcells before he high tailed it back to Tennessee.

If this guy Darnold is the second-coming, why on Earth would he want to play for this franchise, at this time, in this town?  Suicide mission.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Pcola said:

And to this day, I'll believe is Parvcells tells Archie his kid's going number one, Peyton's a Jet.  

A QB can turn a franchise around immediately in today's NFL.  The marketing income alone makes up for the increased taxes.  

Plus with Eli and Brady in the twilight of their careers, why wouldn't he want to come here?

Because it's not about the town, it's about the front office.

Aaron Rodgers makes a mint in salary and promotions and he's in the smallest market in all of professional sports. 

The same things that kept Eli out of San Diego and Peyton out of Hempstead will be the same things that keep Darnold out of Florham Park.  A disengaged owner in London.  A GM with questionable draft skills who is months from being fired.  A head coach who can't manage a game or the locker room who is weeks from being fired.  An endless revolving door of coordinators.  An OL that'll get him Luck'd.  A set of WR's with no pedigree.  It's all set up for him to hold out on us, force a trade, or simply stay in school.

SAR I

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

darnold may be the guy but they said the same thing about leinart and tons of the glamour boy qbs that come out of usc. i'd just be cautious here.

Agreed.

He's played 10 games and accomplished less than Mark Sanchez did and these same draft-expert people ran him out of town, I don't remember any of them lobbying for Dak Prescott either.

SAR I

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

If he has to play it is very bad.  he is not 18-42 as a starter for nothing. 

Since he's 2-22 the past 3 years it means he was 16-20 at one point so it's going downhill.

It's going to be very bad.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Do you know why teams like the Patriots and Packers always have Franchise QB after Franchise QB  and teams like the jets never find 1 ? Those teams draft the QBs that are not good enough for lousy teams like the Jets at the bottom of the 1st round sit on them for a year or 2 and viola. The problem with Jet fans is that they have been programmed to believe that a QB drafted in the 1st round have to start that year or he's a bust.

The Jets drafted Mark Sanchez, messed him up and when that wasn't good enough, they followed it up by doing the exact same thing to Geno Smith . A new regime came along and decided to do things different than the norm, and the fans are up in arms because the QB they drafted early wasn't allowed to see the field .If this regime is as smart as I think them to be and if they're doing what I think they're doing, then Hack will be allowed to start , backed up by McCown with Trubisky waiting in the wings . The following season, you either draft another next year depending on what Hack does, or you ransom the draft position for picks to further build your team . 

This.  Perfectly stated.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Since he's 2-22 the past 3 years it means he was 16-20 at one point so it's going downhill.

It's going to be very bad.

SAR I

I honestly don't think he's going to start. I think we're either drafting a QB with #6 and starting that kid, or they like Hackenberg more than they've let on.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets drafted Mark Sanchez, messed him up and when that wasn't good enough, they followed it up by doing the exact same thing to Geno Smith . A new regime came along and decided to do things different than the norm, and the fans are up in arms because the QB they drafted early wasn't allowed to see the field. If this regime is as smart as I think them to be and if they're doing what I think they're doing, then Hack will be allowed to start , backed up by McCown with Trubisky waiting in the wings . The following season, you either draft another next year depending on what Hack does, or you ransom the draft position for picks to further build your team . 

+1

I believe them to be the most smartest regime in some time. 

********Post Scriptum Edit***********

Really? 2 positive reps and NO ONE picked up on the irony?:D

I cannot believe that the Jets brass would bring in this stiff to start. No way.  Petty and Hackenberg need to fight for the starting spot during the preseason. If you're going to rebuild, then do it all the way. McCown shouldn't sniff one starting snap on this team in 2017 unless both Petty and Hackenberg get carted off the field with injuries.

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I cannot believe that the Jets brass would bring in this stiff to start. No way.  Petty and Hackenberg need to fight for the starting spot during the preseason. If you're going to rebuild, then do it all the way. McCown shouldn't sniff one starting snap on this team in 2017 unless both Petty and Hackenberg get carted off the field with injuries.

You got it,

11 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Chuck the plan must be for Petty and Hack to battle it out in camp and the best man wins or we are drafting a rookie QB if they are there at 6 Watson or Trubisky and we needed veteran presence and Petty gets cut or traded. 

Its puzzling but lets hope it all works out. 

24 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Patriots "always have franchise QB after franchise QB because they draft QBs at the bottom of the 1st?"  They took Brady in the 6th round, and since him have had the following string of "drafted Franchise QBs(tm)" waiting on the bench (none of whom were taken in the first round):

Rohan Davey; Kliff Kingsbury; Matt Cassell; Kevin O'Connell; Zac Robinson; Ryan Mallet; Jimmy Garapolo; Jacoby Brissett

Garapolo looks like the real deal, so unless Brady's told the team this is his final season (please please please please) they're about to turn him into a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves as a free agent after this season, which ... isn't the best use of a 2014 second rounder you can imagine (any GM that said "hey, let's deal our 2nd round pick for a backup QB and a 3rd in 4 years" would get fired).  But the idea that the Patriots "always have a franchise QB waiting on their bench" isn't really supportable.

And the Packers?  Yeah, they took Aaron Rogers late in the first, when the potential number 1 overall pick inexplicably slipped into the 20s (for example, the Ravens passed on him because they wanted Mark Clayton and were stacked at QB with Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, and Kordell Stewart [what?!]), and Favre was obviously nearing the end (he was doing the "maybe I'll retire" dance by then - after first bringing it up in a Peter King interview in 2002).  Since that draft, they've taken the following "Franchise QBs in waiting (tm)":

Ingle Martin; Brian Brohm; Matt Flynn; BJ Coleman; Brett Hundley

That's it for the Packers' stirring list of immortal developmental QBs.  Oh, and in the interim between trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers?

Ty Detmer; Jay Barker; Kyle Wachholtz (really); Ron McAda; Matt Hasselbeck; Aaron Brooks; Craig Nall.

Hasselbeck had a great career, especially for a 7th round pick, and Aaron Brooks had a good year or two as a replacement level starter for the Saints.  But this thing you're peddling about the Pack drafting QBs high to have an assembly line of franchise QBs in waiting?  It's a myth.

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The Patriots "always have franchise QB after franchise QB because they draft QBs at the bottom of the 1st?"  They took Brady in the 6th round, and since him have had the following string of "drafted Franchise QBs(tm)" waiting on the bench (none of whom were taken in the first round):

Rohan Davey; Kliff Kingsbury; Matt Cassell; Kevin O'Connell; Zac Robinson; Ryan Mallet; Jimmy Garapolo; Jacoby Brissett

Garapolo looks like the real deal, so unless Brady's told the team this is his final season (please please please please) they're about to turn him into a 3rd round comp pick when he leaves as a free agent after this season, which ... isn't the best use of a 2014 second rounder you can imagine (any GM that said "hey, let's deal our 2nd round pick for a backup QB and a 3rd in 4 years" would get fired).  But the idea that the Patriots "always have a franchise QB waiting on their bench" isn't really supportable.

And the Packers?  Yeah, they took Aaron Rogers late in the first, when the potential number 1 overall pick inexplicably slipped into the 20s (for example, the Ravens passed on him because they wanted Mark Clayton and were stacked at QB with Kyle Boller, Anthony Wright, and Kordell Stewart [what?!]), and Favre was obviously nearing the end (he was doing the "maybe I'll retire" dance by then - after first bringing it up in a Peter King interview in 2002).  Since that draft, they've taken the following "Franchise QBs in waiting (tm)":

Ingle Martin; Brian Brohm; Matt Flynn; BJ Coleman; Brett Hundley

That's it for the Packers' stirring list of immortal developmental QBs.  Oh, and in the interim between trading for Favre and drafting Rodgers?

Ty Detmer; Jay Barker; Kyle Wachholtz (really); Ron McAda; Matt Hasselbeck; Aaron Brooks; Craig Nall.

Hasselbeck had a great career, especially for a 7th round pick, and Aaron Brooks had a good year or two as a replacement level starter for the Saints.  But this thing you're peddling about the Pack drafting QBs high to have an assembly line of franchise QBs in waiting?  It's a myth.

Very well written.

My response, from all those QBs listed, who would you say were even remotely regarded as potential 1st round picks that were passed over by team after team because folks said they value was right to be drafted higher  ? Content has to make sense, not just support your narrative .

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Very well written.

My response, from all those QBs listed, who would you say were even remotely regarded as potential 1st round picks that were passed over by team after team because folks said they value was right to be drafted higher  ? Content has to make sense, not just support your narrative .

Potential first round picks? Only Brohm, and only if you're counting the pre-season speculation heading into his final year in college; heading into that draft, he wasn't expected to be taken in the first.  "Good value"?  Mallett and Garapolo.  Nobody else on those lists were really "wow, can't believe they slipped that far, can't pass em up" guys; some were even mild (or major) reaches. 

If I'm woody Johnson I'm seriously having a closed door confendential meeting with Maccagnan and Bowles. 3 people in the room...NOBODY else. We make a deal they are safe with guarantees until the end of the 2018 season. Under the circumstance that only 1 win is allowed in 2017. I would honestly really do this. And I don't care what you think about it. 

I am mostly indifferent to the Jets clear desire to have one veteran at the position, as it's hardly uncommon around the NFL.  I think the extreme reactions on both sides are rather absurd.  We're a long way away from having any reason to believe he'll be the starter and if that does happen, then there will certainly be a number of different reasons to be displeased at that time, most notably how bad those other 2 must have shown themselves to be.  That said, the move doesn't deserve any great praise either.

The mentor is definitely a common thing that is talked about for older vets in the NFL, but I doubt that's the sole reason for spending $6M, or as big of a deal as some try to sell it as.  However, I don't dispute that there is some benefit of that which comes along with a signing like this, because anyone who thinks there's no difference between the direction you get from your boss and the help from an experienced person in your same role, must have never had a job before.

Archived