Tank job in jeopardy ?!?!

Maddog45

After yesterday's showing if we continue to play like that we screw the tank job , and mediocrity continues to punish this team and fans , we need top 2 pick, Sam or Rosen , yesterday should be enough to keep Bowles and Mac next year , just one win this season I hope we get. Even if we go 0-16 I would keep Bowles , he's proven how well his team plays when he's got a team(2015) and this elite defense of now , need a qb and our misery ends finally

7 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

After yesterday's showing if we continue to play like that we screw the tank job , and mediocrity continues to punish this team and fans , we need top 2 pick, Sam or Rosen , yesterday should be enough to keep Bowles and Mac next year , just one win this season I hope we get. Even if we go 0-16 I would keep Bowles , he's proven how well his team plays when he's got a team(2015) and this elite defense of now , need a qb and our misery ends finally

We have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl this year then going 0-16. 

7 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

We need a top 2 Pick, OR we trade up if Darnold or Rosen are the guys that we absolutely have to have. Ideally we don't want to have to trade the enormous draft capital, but if it comes to that then you have to do it and be happy you got your QB (hopefully for the next 15 years). 

1 minute ago, Stark said:

We need a top 2 Pick, OR we trade up if Darnold or Rosen are the guys that we absolutely have to have. Ideally we don't want to have to trade the enormous draft capital, but if it comes to that then you have to do it and be happy you got your QB (hopefully for the next 15 years). 

Yea but the closer we stay to the top the cheaper and top 2 picks aren't getting traded with darnold and Rosen 1-2

4 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

Yea but the closer we stay to the top the cheaper and top 2 picks aren't getting traded with darnold and Rosen 1-2

I agree, but the players are not going to try to lose. They have more at stake. Personally I loved watching the young guys play well, and them getting to experience their first NFL home game win. 

I'd trade whatever it took to draft Rosen/Darnold if we are in the 6-10 range, which i said before the year is where I thought we would pick. 

12 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

I think there is a pretty good chance top picks could get traded if you look at top candidates for those picks. Chicago and Cleveland both took QBs last year. Cincy, and Chargers both winless but have franchise QBs though Rivers is getting old, and Dalton is taking alot of heat. Giants will come around and get out of the basement. Jets and 49ers are most likely to be in poition for QB and have the most need.

Whoever is in the top 2 are taking the QB, they will not trade out of the spot.  There's is no team in the league that's capable of getting a top 2 pick that wouldn't take one of those two.  

As fans we should forget about Darnold and Rosen.  The Jets are NOT finishing in the top 2 (or even top 3)  - it's time to start looking at the 4th or 5th best QB and even then it's likely they're going to have to trade up to get him. 

4 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

I think there is a pretty good chance top picks could get traded if you look at top candidates for those picks. Chicago and Cleveland both took QBs last year. Cincy, and Chargers both winless but have franchise QBs though Rivers is getting old, and Dalton is taking alot of heat. Giants will come around and get out of the basement. Jets and 49ers are most likely to be in poition for QB and have the most need.

Bears having one of the top 2 picks is an ideal situation for a trade up, they would rather do business outside the Conference IMO, and drafted their QB last year, going to be tough to out bid Cleveland, and Buffalo thou if they both want to move up.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Whoever is in the top 2 are taking the QB, they will not trade out of the spot.  There's is no team in the league that's capable of getting a top 2 pick that wouldn't take one of those two.  

As fans we should forget about Darnold and Rosen.  The Jets are NOT finishing in the top 2 (or even top 3)  - it's time to start looking at the 4th or 5th best QB and even then it's likely they're going to have to trade up to get him. 

The Bears, and Colts both won't take the QB, Colts can't trade Luck the cap hit is like 70+ million in dead money if they trade him.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

That's kind of the point. 5 wins is a nightmare outcome.

it was great watching the defense dominate and at least look like they gave a sh*t.   the issue is the QB play....why is a 37 year old QB getting run with 2 kids on the bench?    Let the D develop but for the love of god let petty and hackenburg play QB.   there is no reason to win games this year.  

27 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The Bears, and Colts both won't take the QB, Colts can't trade Luck the cap hit is like 70+ million in dead money if they trade him.

I'd agree with the Colts not taking a qb if it wasn't for the rookie salary cap - they still could be players in the Rosen/Darnold contest.

There was nothing great about this win.  This was a game on the schedule that most thought the Jets would lose. a few more accidental wins like this (which is the likely scenario) and the Jets will "Jets" themselves out of doing the ONLY thing that will potentially get them out of this perpetual spiral of mediocrity - draft a franchise QB at the top of the 2018 draft.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

They'll trade the pick obviously to a QB needy team.

But winning a meaningless game in the grand scheme of things is much more valuable than an extra 1st and 2nd

Browns seem to be primed for 1 or 2 spot. 

49ers I think will win a few games this year and in the range of pick 2-5.

Jaguars look pretty good. I dont think they'll be in top 3, especially if they beat us this weekend.

As others have stated, the Colts and Bears aren't drafting a QB.

The Bills won't be in top 3.

In the end I think we'll be neck and neck with the 49ers between the second pick and third pick, with records of 3-13 / 4-12. 

1 hour ago, peebag said:

I'd agree with the Colts not taking a qb if it wasn't for the rookie salary cap - they still could be players in the Rosen/Darnold contest.

.." they still could be players in the Rosen/Darnold contest. "

... they are   :cry:

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

According to OTC, if Luck is cut next year the Dead Money is around $22mm, but cash savings.   Knowing Irsay, he could do that, get draft picks for Luck, and then lessen his QB expense. 

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Thing is, that's only realistic if neither of the teams that landed at 1-2 want to go in another direction at the position.

• Among eight of the 0-1 win teams so far, the Bengals, 49ers, Saints, Giants, Browns, Miami, Chargers, and Arizona should all be looking hard at the position already due to having a lack of talent or lack of a future at the position. Even more so if they somehow end up as one of the 2 worst teams in the league in 2017 with the guys they've got.
  • Then there are 4 others that are out to 2-1 starts that may not last, who would also likely look for a QB change if they end up so lousy this season: Jax, Den, Buf, and Min.
  • Next, there are those that might give up on their current guy for differing reasons: Indy (Luck's health+cost), Wash (Cousins contract) plus what each could theoretically recoup in trade. However unlikely as it seems today, you could theoretically throw Carolina in there if they finish 3-13 with Cam, no matter how gifted he is. It's already been a while since he's had a dominant game, let alone a dominant stretch of games.

Prepare yourself for both of the top 2 picks being unattainable unless they're earned on merit (or demerit, more correctly). We wouldn't be the only one of these fanbases or front offices thinking the top 2 are head & shoulders above the rest. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

According to OTC, if Luck is cut next year the Dead Money is around $22mm, but cash savings.   Knowing Irsay, he could do that, get draft picks for Luck, and then lessen his QB expense. 

Well not just that, but he'd recoup draft picks. There's little chance he wouldn't garner trade interest. Unlike Cousins on Washington, he's under contract. 

While I agree it's a possibility in theory, but it seems impossible he'd get cut outright. $6m of his $18m for 2018 is guaranteed well before the draft. So they'd have to move him before that, or be 100% sure they can move him after that. It also means - if he's still on their roster on the 6th day of the 2018 season in March - they'd be happy with whichever of the top 2 they end up with, or they naturally have the #1 pick outright.

I included the Colts above, but I think they're a longshot to take a QB even if they end up with a top 2 pick. The only realistic way it could happen is if someone else coughs up plenty for him to take over his contract and furnish the Colts with more to build around their new young QB. If Luck's injured, he's uncuttable, as that adds up to another $40m guaranteed to his 2016 contract. Though only $47m of it is fully guaranteed, the contract has $87m in total guarantees, and typically the difference includes a good chunk (if not all of it) to cover the player for injuries.

In all honesty, if they finish in the top 2 due to Luck having chronic injury report mentions after returning, they're the team with best chance for another team trading up into the top 2 if it still near-universally looks like a 2-horse race in 6 months. 

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

There was nothing great about this win.  This was a game on the schedule that most thought the Jets would lose. a few more accidental wins like this (which is the likely scenario) and the Jets will "Jets" themselves out of doing the ONLY thing that will potentially get them out of this perpetual spiral of mediocrity - draft a franchise QB at the top of the 2018 draft.

I actually thought this was 1 game that we could win, especially after Tannehill went down. I don't think we beat the Jags on Sunday or the Browns in 2 weeks on the road. After that where do we win? Bills at home? Maybe that's about it.

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thing is, that's only realistic if neither of the teams that landed at 1-2 want to go in another direction at the position.

• Among eight of the 0-1 win teams so far, the Bengals, 49ers, Saints, Giants, Browns, Miami, Chargers, and Arizona should all be looking hard at the position already due to having a lack of talent or lack of a future at the position. Even more so if they somehow end up as one of the 2 worst teams in the league in 2017 with the guys they've got.
  • Then there are 4 others that are out to 2-1 starts that may not last, who would also likely look for a QB change if they end up so lousy this season: Jax, Den, Buf, and Min.
  • Next, there are those that might give up on their current guy for differing reasons: Indy (Luck's health+cost), Wash (Cousins contract) plus what each could theoretically recoup in trade. However unlikely as it seems today, you could theoretically throw Carolina in there if they finish 3-13 with Cam, no matter how gifted he is. It's already been a while since he's had a dominant game, let alone a dominant stretch of games.

Prepare yourself for both of the top 2 picks being unattainable unless they're earned on merit (or demerit, more correctly). We wouldn't be the only one of these fanbases or front offices thinking the top 2 are head & shoulders above the rest. 

Yeah, i agree and that is the obvious fact. Point being you can't make the players not play. if we don't get the number 1 or 2 pick the option is to trade up. In the case of the Mariota and Winston draft neither team would trade out of 1 and 2. I would guess the same would be said in this draft. 

thanks for outlining the multiple QB scenarios as if that hasn't been stated a million times on the board. 

It's always beyond ridiculous to start thinking about draft slotting at this point in the year, or before even training camp kicked off as it had been for many this year.  When it gets late into the season and it's already a lost year, then it's certainly far more understandable to not want the team to drop spots in the draft without any real benefit coming from it.  Until that point in the year, it's never going to work out as even a consideration, and if it does, that brings serious questions up about the entirety of the current roster, which can't be cured by a single draft pick, no matter how big of a difference-maker he can be.

With all of this said, who knows how it is all going to even go from here.  If they lost these next two games, they're suddenly back into serious contention for the #1 pick with the 49ers being the one team who might still be ahead of them in that race by then.

Those on the tank train should take notice of the Chargers. Miami beat them...you know that team we just almost shut out. Rivers is very good but aging. On the good side of things hopefully Jacoby Brissett can squeak out some more meaningless wins for the Colts.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

37 minutes ago, Stark said:

Yeah, i agree and that is the obvious fact. Point being you can't make the players not play. if we don't get the number 1 or 2 pick the option is to trade up. In the case of the Mariota and Winston draft neither team would trade out of 1 and 2. I would guess the same would be said in this draft. 

thanks for outlining the multiple QB scenarios as if that hasn't been stated a million times on the board. 

Tennessee was entertaining offers. Tampa was not.

And lol if you think I read every thread here. I like to pick up my moderator paycheck without working.

You can't penalize the team for playing well and winning a game or games this year. I want Darnold or Rosen but I can't root for the Jets to lose and or hope the players we do have right now play poorly. Adams looked great yesterday, Wilkerson had a good game, Williams as well. Those are cornerstone players on our defense who are going to be critical to this teams success going forward. I want to see them play well. If that means the Jets win games because of it than that's a good thing.

My only complaint right now is that I want to see Petty starting.

4 hours ago, Stark said:

There's no trading up for the Jets. Multiple QB needy teams have multiple 1st rounds picks in this year's draft. The Jets might be able to pull off a bears level deal to move up 1 spot, but anything more than that and it's another team that will be paying the price.

Archived