What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

I see lots of fighting in that thread over there, it is sad how it is ending. Sean obviously had issues with me back in the day, and that is why I left. But I never had a problem or rooted against JI. Always liked the site, people etc. Just thought Sean's customer service skills needed a tune up lol.

That said, seeing how it is over there now, it is sad.  I am curious if the contract with Scout is one year or two. (I am guessing two). But when it is over, he is going to leave the contract and try to start JI back up on its own. But I don't see it ever being the same.

Good.  Let the guy wallow in the putrid stank of his new daddy, scout.  Classic JI is dead. Forever.  Done.

Over the last few years, Deegan has allowed an iconic Jet site to turn into pig s hit.  He ran out most of the people who cared about that place and kept it entertaining and informative.  Look at it now as it crumbles into the abyss.  What a friggin' shame.

Don't sell yourselves short. You're going to be tested. I can see the future. Goes something like this:

JI shuts down.

Full-on exodus from Scout begins.

JN gets the bulk of the userbase. This is good. It deserves the traffic.

The good-posters-turned-bad-moderators on JI turn back into good posters again on JN. This is good.

The Hangar clique will lobby hard and endlessly about recreating it on JN. This must be avoided at all costs.

The Blind Homers will behave at first but will eventually push you to your limits. And this is the critical moment.

As a Moderator drawn into a dispute between a Blind Homer (Yeah! Go Jets!) and a Disgruntled Realist (Boo! Rex Ryan Sucks!) your instincts will be to favor the Blind Homer because they are fighting for something positive and that is how they get away with their personal attacks and anti-community behavior. Fortunately, unlike JI moderators, you guys actually participate in the main board, you don't hide in some lounge mocking what you've allowed to happen to the very members you're supposed to protect.

Don't grandfather in JI Moderators. Leave your group alone.

Don't tolerate Blind Homers. You know their names. Ray Ray, sg3, Jet Nut the biggest offenders in case you don't.

Don't recreate The Hangar. It's the genesis of all the ill-will.

A month from now, this is what you'll be facing. That, and an even uglier Jets record making for a very grumpy fanbase and a potentially volitile merger with JI ex-pats. Stand your ground. Only God can make a tree.

SAR I

I think this is pretty spot on. 

Even though I rarely posted at JI these last few years its still kind of sad to see it go that way. The cap work I do pretty much started there when those of us would discuss the Jets salary cap and I would do my pre and post game breakdowns. I think (and I might be wrong on the timeline but I think it was close) it was actually when Sooth starting the JI blogs that I decided to do NYjetscap when some wanted me to do the blog there. If not for the people there, JN, and TJB,  Nyjetscap probably never lasts for any period of time or gets the recoginition that it eventually got from the media and others. So there is definitely a lot of history there.

Scout is brutal. Their message boards are all about getting member sign ups and offering little beyond that. They were always archaic with a level of discussion that was so far below what you would get here or JI, I cant imagine anyone enjoying it. That may not have been the case for all teams (for instance I thought the Steelers were not bad when I have checked them out), but my guess is those are the teams that didnt have big online communities that were developed before Scout threw up message boards. I ust never looked at them as being a place to get good football discussion and they invested no real time in their boards. Its not much different than the old ESPN forums that were terrible and eventually just killed off.

I dont get time to post much here, but from what I read and see Im sure all the new people will like it here. JN has been a better site, IMO, for some time when looking for Jets talk and some funny asides here and there. The kind of posters who wont go to scout will fit in with what goes on here. The majority of those who do go to Scout are the ones that really brought JI down a notch over the last few years. 

Totally agree here. 

Back in the day I won some vote to have a blog on JI. Afterwards Sooth just came off like such a Douche when I spoke to him privately - So I ended up not doing it. You can tell he just expects people to go to Scout even if its inferior. I almost choked on my drink when someone asked him to be a Mod on Ragu's board lol. 

I figured it was time to dead my old name and start fresh. This board has so many guys opinions that I love to read. I do hope there are some people that like to talk draft here. The end of the season after the firings is going to be the best time to talk Jet football. With high picks, a new front office, and alot of cap room we are going to be in a-lot better shape then people think.

He's on ignore, Max

But here's my advice (unsolicited, of course) on whatever SAR Y may have suggested regarding handling the shutdown of JI

DO THE OPPOSITE.

Seriously, you and the Mods here have crossed the 2.6 million mark in posts without ridiculous outsider assistance

Keep doing the great job are doing

That said, seeing how it is over there now, it is sad.  I am curious if the contract with Scout is one year or two. (I am guessing two). But when it is over, he is going to leave the contract and try to start JI back up on its own. But I don't see it ever being the same.

I don't know anybody personally, but I would guess he's tired of it.  Do you really think he'll want to start all over again, from scratch?  Is he that masochistic?  :)

I assume people tend to prefer doing things that aren't a lot of work and pay well, instead of, ummm, the opposite...

Totally agree here.

Back in the day I won some vote to have a blog on JI. Afterwards Sooth just came off like such a Douche when I spoke to him privately - So I ended up not doing it. You can tell he just expects people to go to Scout even if its inferior. I almost choked on my drink when someone asked him to be a Mod on Ragu's board lol.

I figured it was time to dead my old name and start fresh. This board has so many guys opinions that I love to read. I do hope there are some people that like to talk draft here. The end of the season after the firings is going to be the best time to talk Jet football. With high picks, a new front office, and alot of cap room we are going to be in a-lot better shape then people think.

Thanks for coming over. We will have a lot of draft talk. Its all we have to look forward to.

Welcome. On your left you'll see the jets and NFL forum. There you can find both homers and haters. on your right you will find the lounge for all of your off topic needs. And straight ahead you will find a number of different forums including one for tailgating and road trips, other sports and even the mafia forum.

If you have any questions, I am your concierge Joe. Feel free to ask.

Welcome.

thanks buddy.

• Upvote 1

I had never posted on JI but was constantly on my phone throughout my day reading everyone's opinions and the latest news and even without posting I felt sad it was going to close. But after checking this place out and finally making a username I wish I had come here earlier. I like the feel of it and the fact a lot of those posters I was familiar with are here makes it even better. Just please don't shutdown!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had never posted on JI but was constantly on my phone throughout my day reading everyone's opinions and the latest news and even without posting I felt sad it was going to close. But after checking this place out and finally making a username I wish I had come here earlier. I like the feel of it and the fact a lot of those posters I was familiar with are here makes it even better. Just please don't shutdown!!

Thanks for joining- feel free to chime in

I don't know anybody personally, but I would guess he's tired of it.  Do you really think he'll want to start all over again, from scratch?  Is he that masochistic?   :)

I assume people tend to prefer doing things that aren't a lot of work and pay well, instead of, ummm, the opposite...

Well it wouldn't be starting over from scratch. I am assuming, based on my actual conversations with Scout, that ji still owns their old content. Articles, forum posts etc. They must have thousands of articles and whatever they had forum wise -- 5 or 6 million posts.  So at some point when they admit this was a bad idea, you go back out on your own. Or you sell it I guess.

The nice thing about Scout is they host everything for you. That takes away a big expense. For us here the forum hosting and 3rd party software expenses cost us over $6,000 per year. And they do take a bit of the headache away since their I.T. department handles making sure you are running smooth on game day, etc.

So if they were to leave Scout someday, they would have to start a new forum and import the old posts. Except their would be a 1 or 2 year posting gap.  Not sure how it will play out. But for right now, we are very happy with the early results. We have 500 + new members. And a lot of good threads. :)

• Upvote 3

We are glad you signed up.  We aren't going to shut down.  :)

we're heeeerrrrrrrr...... :)

Welcome, thanks for signing up.  I think we have over 500 new members as a result of this move. And there seem to have been a ton more people that already had accounts.  

Good to see everyone here. :)

Welcome, thanks for signing up. I think we have over 500 new members as a result of this move. And there seem to have been a ton more people that already had accounts.

Good to see everyone here. :)

Based on the last time I looked at Scout, Max...that 500 is roughly 2.5X the number they have added.

Thanks again for this joint

Based on the last time I looked at Scout, Max...that 500 is roughly 2.5X the number they have added.

Thanks again for this joint

Oh wow.

I looked one day and they had 141 posts. Which is very low. We had over 1,100 that same day.

• Upvote 1

This will be may last post on this thread...no need to rub it in, IMHO

Users on line at Scout jumped to 240 or more in the first couple of days after the shutdown

As of today it has dropped back down under 140, about what it was at its high point before the merge.

No sense looking there or talking about it anymore.

It's all yours HYATT and Jet Repulsive

This will be may last post on this thread...no need to rub it in, IMHO

Users on line at Scout jumped to 240 or more in the first couple of days after the shutdown

As of today it has dropped back down under 140, about what it was at its high point before the merge.

No sense looking there or talking about it anymore.

It's all yours HYATT and Jet Repulsive

You want to see something truly shocking?  Go look at the scout hamper.  Joan Crawford's private area has more users over the last few months.

I don't know anybody personally, but I would guess he's tired of it.  Do you really think he'll want to start all over again, from scratch?  Is he that masochistic?   :)

Ummm, this is pretty stupid. Sooth wouldn't be, ummm, starting from scratch if everybody knows who, ummm, he is.

Max, probably about time to lock this and be done with it.  It's over, best we all just move on.

What about the posters who want to continue talking about it? I could never understand a post like this. If you don't want to discuss it don't click on the thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Max, probably about time to lock this and be done with it.  It's over, best we all just move on.

Warfish - someday we are going to have a little talk about SEO.  When you type, "what happened to Jets Insider" into google, JetNation is one page one.

Call it a hunch, but I think some people will be typing that in.  :)

Ummm, this is pretty stupid. Sooth wouldn't be, ummm, starting from scratch if everybody knows who, ummm, he is.

I'm hoping Sean was smarter than that and realized that his forum was a dying train-wreck and was happy as punch to get $19,000 for it. Clearly he pulled the wool over Scout's eyes.

He'll have to give up his Jets credentials, that's going to be a rude awakening when the free tickets dry up.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

I'm hoping Sean was smarter than that and realized that his forum was a dying train-wreck and was happy as punch to get $19,000 for it. Clearly he pulled the wool over Scout's eyes.

He'll have to give up his Jets credentials, that's going to be a rude awakening when the free tickets dry up.

SAR I

Sell him your seats for the games you dont use instead of an opposing teams fans. 

• Thumb Down 1

What about the posters who want to continue talking about it? I could never understand a post like this. If you don't want to discuss it don't click on the thread.

Exactly right.  That "shut it down" mentality is what I hated about most of the mods on JI.  Things got hot?  Boom, kill the thread.

Clearly, folks have an interest  about this subject.  Let 'em talk.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I am just so depressed that Sean sold his 15 years of pride and joy for the price of a used Ford Pickup. I don't like how that makes me feel about how he valued me, as a poster. I also weep for Sean because I doubt he made back his operating costs. I know a desperate deal when I smell it. I hope Sean isn't in financial trouble. I hope the kids are still able to go to college. If the house is near foreclosure, I'll be very sad. If he had to take a second job because of losses onthe site, that would be terrible over the holidays.

SAR I

I know you are messing around about the $19,000. I have no idea how much money, if any, changed hands.  They (Scout) told me, it would be in my best interests if I partnered with them, instead of selling to them. Because they would double or triple the size of the site in 2 to 3 years (their words). Then I would own something much more valuable (again their words).

I know they wanted us because we have a much bigger social media presence, over 20,000 on FB & Twitter. But it is staggering that they couldn't convert even 1% of the forum posters. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it really makes me feel good about walking away after one meeting and not signing the NDA.  I don't need to see an offer if your business plan is going to ruin this business.

I just wonder what Scout is thinking right now.  Their CEO pitched this idea to Yahoo when he was there. She shot him down, so he set out to do this on his own. I have no idea if ji is an indication of how the conversion plan is going for other sites. Or if it is an anomaly. 

I know you are messing around about the $19,000. I have no idea how much money, if any, changed hands.  They (Scout) told me, it would be in my best interests if I partnered with them, instead of selling to them. Because they would double or triple the size of the site in 2 to 3 years (their words). Then I would own something much more valuable (again their words).

I know they wanted us because we have a much bigger social media presence, over 20,000 on FB & Twitter. But it is staggering that they couldn't convert even 1% of the forum posters. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but it really makes me feel good about walking away after one meeting and not signing the NDA.  I don't need to see an offer if your business plan is going to ruin this business.

I just wonder what Scout is thinking right now.  Their CEO pitched this idea to Yahoo when he was there. She shot him down, so he set out to do this on his own. I have no idea if ji is an indication of how the conversion plan is going for other sites. Or if it is an anomaly. 

You won, you are now supreme allied commander of all Jets forums. I bow in your presence and am kneeling on my knees with my head down and ass up with cheeks spread for the bond of obedience.

I am your loyal servant

$19,000 is a fun figure, but last time I checked on one of the numerous online website valuation calculators it was worth around $36,000 and generated daily ad revenue of $26.35. My guess, completely a guess, is that since it was purchased by a company with strong buying power and its own architecture, JI would have sold for far less than the $36,000. $19,000 is conjecture, but I think it's actually pretty good conjecture.

You did good, but it wasn't because you said 'no' to Scout. You're running a clean forum, you're not letting a group of 5 morons poison the place. Whether its well moderated or just attracts a more mature audience, the reason JN is here and JI isn't is because JI was neglected by its owner and he didn't see the signs or, frankly, pay any attention to the Landing Strip. If I owned a discussion forum, I'd be an anonymous poster and participate, get an understanding of what's going on. For years Sean got it wrong because he didn't participate. Not sure why, but he wasn't paying any attention to something he owned and was having some success with, didn't understand that he only had one decent moderator along with a bunch of goofballs.

Point being, JI died a few years ago. Truthfully, I don't think Sean realized this. I think he just got lucky and got out at the last moment. Everyone else who posted there knew it was over.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1