***Jets trade for Brandon Marshall (pending a physical)***

Sperm Edwards

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvin had issues Marshall had issues but Marshall is a far superior WR.  Bowles

and Dorrell know him from their days in MIA and Hogan knows him from his time

in CHI.  So obviously they're comfortable with him as a person.  On top of that it's

amazing the numbers Marshall put up in MIA:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9705/brandon-marshall

And that's when MIA had Henne & Moore as their QB.  Good first move

so more a trade where Bears save cash.. 6th rounder with all our cap room is a good deal to take pressure off other WRs as Marshall has to be respected. Look at Bears Jeffrey's #s w/Bears in games w/marshall in lineup and in games w/Marshall out..

Why did you make me do that?  Jeffery's horrible game was against Miami and Marshall played.  They shut him down at the end of the season and Jeffery went for 4/78, 6/72 and 2/34 with 2 TDs over the final 3.  The last game was when they went back to Cutler who had been benched two weeks prior because Claussen got concussed

Depending on what we gave up, I don't think this eliminates the possibility of Maccagnan drafting a WR at #6 (though it certainly makes it more likely he won't).

If we gave up a 4th-5th, we still draft who we want at any position, WR included. If it's a 2nd (really hope not) then yes, I'd tend to agree with you he almost definitely won't.

the thought of losing a second for a sociopath makes my flesh crawl.  A 4th, maybe. LOL!

I just saw the ~$4 mil figure come through on Twitterfwiw, so I'm not sure.

Compensation (as per RapSheet) is a 5th

Makes little difference since the Jets (unlike Chicago) would never consider cutting Marshall this year.

Sorry but this is an excellent trade for a team that (once Harvin's gone) had some $65M in cap room.

Like a 5th for Santonio Holmes. I make that trade every year. Just don't re-sign him with $20M guaranteed because he's a young scumbag. Sure he was cheap, but money is not an issue for the Jets right now.

And since he was only a 5th and is only locked in here for 1 season if we so desire, it in no way precludes us from still taking a WR at #6 (if that's who Maccagnan has as #1 on his list when it's our turn). But it doesn't paint us into a corner and force us to go WR that early either.

Only 4 mil guaranteed left on his deal. The Jets will most likely play him on a year to year type deal with Percy , but he is cheaper and a far better WR. Great move.

The guarantee is meaningless at that amount. It's not like we're seeking to cut him. $4M, $6M, or $0.1M. Same thing, effectively.

If the guaranteed amount eclipsed his 2015 compensation, then it's a factor. This isn't.

Five years of 100+ catches, three seasons of double digit TDs, including two of the last three and would have been three straight if not for a season in which he was hampered by injuries and clearly far from 100%, yet still caught 8 TDs.

This is a legitimate elite NFL WR and he's still in his prime, and people still want to bitch. And why? Because he previously had an undiagnosed personality disorder? He's been a model citizen for years. 

Makes little difference since the Jets (unlike Chicago) would never consider cutting Marshall this year.

Sorry but this is an excellent trade for a team that (once Harvin's gone) had some $65M in cap room.

Like a 5th for Santonio Holmes. I make that trade every year. Just don't re-sign him with $20M guaranteed because he's a young scumbag. Sure he was cheap, but money is not an issue for the Jets right now.

And since he was only a 5th and is only locked in here for 1 season if we so desire, it in no way precludes us from still taking a WR at #6 (if that's who Maccagnan has as #1 on his list when it's our turn). But it doesn't paint us into a corner and force us to go WR that early either.

I somewhat agree with all of this, and it's a fingers-crossed situation, but I don't like bringing this type of dude onto my team, and I say this as a guy who didn't mind signing Vick.

Five years of 100+ catches, three seasons of double digit TDs, including two of the last three and would have been three straight if not for a season in which he was hampered by injuries and clearly far from 100%, yet still caught 8 TDs.

This is a legitimate elite NFL WR and he's still in his prime, and people still want to bitch. And why? Because he previously had an undiagnosed personality disorder? He's been a model citizen for years. 

I don't know if he's been a model citizen (don't know that much about him), but he's nothing remotely like what he was with Denver or Miami.

Potential way this hurts us is we don't draft a WR for the 2nd straight year in an outstanding WR draft and then cut Marshall in a year.

Not trying to be a downer though. If its a 5th for him, I'm certainly not complaining. Would love to sign Revis and McCourty to help us while weakening the pats.

Why did you make me do that?  Jeffery's horrible game was against Miami and Marshall played.  They shut him down at the end of the season and Jeffery went for 4/78, 6/72 and 2/34 with 2 TDs over the final 3.  The last game was when they went back to Cutler who had been benched two weeks prior because Claussen got concussed

This help Decker for sure, but with marshall/Decker/Kerly (Harvin? who knows) the HUGE guy to benefit will be Amaro. Single coverage w/LBs now, not CBs.

A team with over $20 mil in cap space just dumped him for a 5th round pick.

Agree with all of this, can't complain too much about this deal. Just don't think he's an elite player but worth a 5th particularly since there's no cap consequence of cutting him if he doesn't work out

Archived