Kenrick Ellis To Giants

NYJetsVets91

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479769/article/kenrick-ellis-new-york-giants-reach-contract

Kenrick Ellis, New York Giants reach contract
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: March 18, 2015 at 01:21 p.m.
  • Updated: March 18, 2015 at 01:34 p.m.

Kenrick Ellis is switching locker rooms at MetLife Stadium.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the former New York Jets defensive lineman will sign a one-year contract with theGiants. NFL Media's Albert Breer adds the deal is worth $1.65 million with $500,000 guaranteed.

The 27-year-old Ellis was a rotational player with the Jets, playing just 158 snaps in 2014, mostly manning the nose tackle position. He had just five career starts with Gang Green, none coming last season.

A former fourth-round pick in 2011, Ellis could be in line to earn starting minutes for the Giants next year on an interior with Johnathan Hankins. A two-down run stuffer, Ellis should help improve a woefulGiants run defense that ranked 30th in the NFL in 2014.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479769/article/kenrick-ellis-new-york-giants-reach-contract

Kenrick Ellis, New York Giants reach contract
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  •  

print.png
    g-plus.png
    fb-like.png
    share-button.png

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: March 18, 2015 at 01:21 p.m.
  • Updated: March 18, 2015 at 01:34 p.m.

Kenrick Ellis is switching locker rooms at MetLife Stadium.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports that the former New York Jets defensive lineman will sign a one-year contract with theGiants. NFL Media's Albert Breer adds the deal is worth $1.65 million with $500,000 guaranteed.

The 27-year-old Ellis was a rotational player with the Jets, playing just 158 snaps in 2014, mostly manning the nose tackle position. He had just five career starts with Gang Green, none coming last season.

A former fourth-round pick in 2011, Ellis could be in line to earn starting minutes for the Giants next year on an interior with Johnathan Hankins. A two-down run stuffer, Ellis should help improve a woefulGiants run defense that ranked 30th in the NFL in 2014.

Wow...that's hard to believe we didn't keep him for that..

Greenacres City native Kenrick Ellis is splitting. My son-in-law does flatscreen TV installions as a side business and he hung Ellis' TVs. He went to High School about a half mile from where I'm typing this. John I Leonard High     Giants will sign Kenrick Ellis

Posted by Josh Alper on March 18, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjGetty Images

The Giants and defensive tackleKenrick Ellis seem to have enjoyed Tuesday’s visit.

According to multiple reports, the Giants are signing Ellis to a one-year deal on Wednesday. Ellis won’t have to go far to get to his new home since he’s spent the previous four years of his NFL career playing for the Jets.

Ellis was stuck behind Damon Harrison at nose tackle last season and saw 158 snaps on defense for the Jets. His size — 6-foot-4 and 346 pounds — has helped him be most effective against the run, which is likely what made him attractive to the Giants.

Jonathan Hankins is set at one defensive tackle, but Mike Patterson isn’t expected back as a free agent and neither Markus Kuhn nor Jay Bromley has shown much during their brief NFL careers. Ellis may not be on the field all three downs, but he should see time when the Giants think their opponents are going to keep the ball on the ground.

TJ Barnes is a player that replaces Ellis on the Jets depth chart, he was added to the PS 2 years ago, then added to the defensive line rotation last year, even playing ahead of Ellis.  Interesting that Ellis got a 1 yr deal and Jets elected not to match or counter...

Could be they are happy and high enough on Barnes to replace the role and hole left by Ellis.

Yawn. Wake me when you have some NEWS. Eliis is a lazy freakin bum who did NOT take advantage of a great situation. Listen, when Rex benches you that's about it dude.

was Ellis a lazy bum or did they guy just have major back problems all the time ?

I don't recall hearing "Ellis with a crushing hit" very often.

Depth/Role player the team clearly put little priority in retaining.

Ok.

He was more of a space-eating NT. He's not a bad player by any means. He's just stuck behind Snacks on the depth chart.

Provided he stays healthy, I think the Giants will be happy with him.

Meh, let's get Snacks under contract. He's a real Nose Tackle.

Problem is they don't seem eager to do so. It's an odd stance. Keep 31 year old Harris whose strength is one-sided (run-stopping) and his pricetag is a guaranteed $7.5M for 2 years. Then on the other hand, let Harrison hit free agency, potentially for as low as the #64 pick. Snacks may be similarly one-sided but is less $, is far younger, and is so good at what he does the team doesn't need a dedicated run-stopper at ILB.

Hope this isn't the case, but their actions suggest they want to let Snacks go and would rather have the draft pick.

Maybe they're going to throw us all a curve ball, trade back a bit and draft Danny Shelton ... stranger things have happened. I'm not saying that's who I want, but it is a possibilty.

doesnt make any sense. last thing we really need is help on the d-line. if we go defense we need olb

Problem is they don't seem eager to do so. It's an odd stance. Keep 31 year old Harris whose strength is one-sided (run-stopping) and his pricetag is a guaranteed $7.5M for 2 years. Then on the other hand, let Harrison hit free agency, potentially for as low as the #64 pick. Snacks may be similarly one-sided but is less $, is far younger, and is so good at what he does the team doesn't need a dedicated run-stopper at ILB.

Hope this isn't the case, but their actions suggest they want to let Snacks go and would rather have the draft pick.

I don't like this front office so far. They're not impressing me with these backpage signings.

Enough of this about Harris. You guys grossly underestimate his value. Here is a snippet from an article from a Chicago CBS sports page talking about potential free agents and their value. I specifically refer you to the last paragraph. This wasn't a ridiculous signing - this stabilizes that defense for 2-3 years.

David Harris (6-foot-2, 250 pounds, 31, nine-year veteran)

A Jets’ 2007 second-round draft pick, Harris has spent the majority of his career manning the inside for Rex Ryan’s attacking 3-4 defense. Once Ryan took over in 2009, Harris started 96 straight regular-season games, and he’s registered at least 99 tackles in six of his eight NFL seasons.

Harris played the Mike linebacker role in Ryan’s defense, setting the front for one of the league’s more exotic schemes. Harris isn’t a flashy player, rather a reliable force who’s assignment sound and consistently in the right place at the right time. He’s also an effective A-gap blitzer who has 30 career sacks.

Harris will be highly sought after on the free agent market and will certainly draw interest from Buffalo, which Ryan now coaches and whom just traded linebacker Kiko Alonso. Harris will be among the highest-paid free agent inside linebackers, likely signing a deal with an average annual value of $6 million-$8 million.

Wow...that's hard to believe we didn't keep him for that..

Sounds like he is going to get the opportunity at more starting reps with the Giants.  Good for him.  I would have liked to keep him but I can't hate on him trying to gain more starting reps and the way our D looks today, he wouldn't be getting too many here.  (This is me already assuming we will wrap up Snacks and nobody else will give up a 2 for him.)

Problem is they don't seem eager to do so. It's an odd stance. Keep 31 year old Harris whose strength is one-sided (run-stopping) and his pricetag is a guaranteed $7.5M for 2 years. Then on the other hand, let Harrison hit free agency, potentially for as low as the #64 pick. Snacks may be similarly one-sided but is less $, is far younger, and is so good at what he does the team doesn't need a dedicated run-stopper at ILB.

I agree.  There isn't any logic going on with their stance on Snacks.  Letting him hit FA only guarantees re-signing at a higher cost than making a deal earlier.  The draft pick is not even close to fair compensation IMO.  Baffling. 

Enough of this about Harris. You guys grossly underestimate his value. Here is a snippet from an article from a Chicago CBS sports page talking about potential free agents and their value. I specifically refer you to the last paragraph. This wasn't a ridiculous signing - this stabilizes that defense for 2-3 years.

David Harris (6-foot-2, 250 pounds, 31, nine-year veteran)

A Jets’ 2007 second-round draft pick, Harris has spent the majority of his career manning the inside for Rex Ryan’s attacking 3-4 defense. Once Ryan took over in 2009, Harris started 96 straight regular-season games, and he’s registered at least 99 tackles in six of his eight NFL seasons.

Harris played the Mike linebacker role in Ryan’s defense, setting the front for one of the league’s more exotic schemes. Harris isn’t a flashy player, rather a reliable force who’s assignment sound and consistently in the right place at the right time. He’s also an effective A-gap blitzer who has 30 career sacks.

Harris will be highly sought after on the free agent market and will certainly draw interest from Buffalo, which Ryan now coaches and whom just traded linebacker Kiko Alonso. Harris will be among the highest-paid free agent inside linebackers, likely signing a deal with an average annual value of $6 million-$8 million.

Harris, unlike Vilma made tackles at or near the LOS on a rather consistent basis..

I agree.  There isn't any logic going on with their stance on Snacks.  Letting him hit FA only guarantees re-signing at a higher cost than making a deal earlier.  The draft pick is not even close to fair compensation IMO.  Baffling.

You think he is worth a 1st round tender? The Jets have right of refusal. They may be hoping for an early 2nd round tender.

Archived