Rex Ryan throws the Jets under the bus with bomshell SI article.

Jetsbb

Debating with a Rex lover is impossible, everything is ALWAYS somebodies else's fault, not Rex's. I mean, how can Rex be expected to win with all those first round picks dedicated to the defense in his years here? And, how can he be expected to win more than 4 games with a putrid coaching staff that was forced on him?

your not debating a rex lover.. I was very vocally anti rex for his Sanchez love

your debating someone who thinks Idzik did worse at his job then rex did at his

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is sooooooooo obsessed with Brady.  HE must have made a playoff "win" ring after we beat them a few years ago.

Rex has obsession problem- just like some Jet fans- he just can not let go and run his new team . He has to make comments that is why if he is your coach you might like him for that but opposing teams and fans will hate him

I'm optimistic but I am not about to start touting.  I am just going to wait and let the facts speak for themselves.

You've been provided with facts since you signed up here, perhaps you've had them on mute thus far?

Rex has obsession problem- just like some Jet fans- he just can not let go and run his new team . He has to make comments that is why if he is your coach you might like him for that but opposing teams and fans will hate him

He was my coach and I hated him.

He's petty, thin-skinned and insecure. There's literally nothing to like about him other than the legend of how "he's the guy you want to drink a beer with, but blah, blah, blah". 

Neither was Doug Marrone but unlike Rex,  Marrone had plenty to say about the front office after he left.

Untrue. 

Marrone was making it clear he wasn't happy before he left. Common knowledge for anyone without a bias.

I sense that he is very strict.  This could have a negative impact on players

Discipline has shown over time to have a negative impact on football programs and the players within them, so you may have a point there. 

He was my coach and I hated him.

He's petty, thin-skinned and insecure. There's literally nothing to like about him other than the legend of how "he's the guy you want to drink a beer with, but blah, blah, blah". 

Haha haha I said some fans might like him for being a big mouth

your not debating a rex lover.. I was very vocally anti rex for his Sanchez love

Rex earned getting fired with Tanny. 

Idzik did us a favor. 

Clean slate.

Everyone knows you're an Ape lover.

Rex should have gone with Tanny keeping him and then looking for a GM that wanted him was beyond stupid.. It was a waste of 2 years that could have been used for the betterment of the team.. Rex is who he is and if football is entertainment he definitely provided that the good the bad and the ugly.. I just don't hate the guy and get a kick out of the haters that get mad when you don't hate him also..LOL

I don't hate him either.  I think he can be a good HC, but with a shorter window as after a while the team will get lax on him.  I think he can be a great D-Co-ordinator. 

I also don't think any coach can win with a GM who wants him gone, and I don't know why you force that on the GM.  Like you said, cost the whole team 2 years, and that's an awful move by Woody.

I really liked Rex when he first came on board.  The lineage of his dad with the Jets, his defensive schemes, his ambition. There was much to be excited about.

THEN, slowly but surely, his flaws as a head coach revealed themselves in an unruly manner.  When things started to go haphazardly about, Rex began sucking up to Woody and his GM's.  He continued to portray himself as a 'head coach' purely on his defensive attributes and totally disregarded the offense.  Ultimately, Rex has become the most conspicuous con artist among NFL head coaches in decades.    

Jackie calls Rex a BLABBERMOUTH!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yOQ9-b_Usy8

One of the funniest bits in the Honeymooners 39. Hysterical.

We are enjoying the optimism.  These are exciting times for the Bills.  We have a new coach that we LOVE,  we already have an outstanding defense,  are putting together an outstanding offense and also have outstanding assistant coaches.  The average season ticket holders over the years have been 47K with the highest being 57K in the 90's. So far this year,  we have 53K season ticket holders.  We are optimistic and excited.  

Oh poor Jeanie, I feel for you. I felt the same way for a year, then I started noticing that he was not a really good coach and not doing much to make us a better team. And taking Rex out of the picture, you unfortunately have maybe the worst set of assistant coaches in the NFL. Outside of Dunbar who is a good to excellent coach (he had a LOT of first rounders to coach "up") the loser assistants like Lal and David Lee literally never developed a single player in 6 years! Rex is a bottom 5 HC, with a ludicrous approach to football, and one of the worst staffs ever assembled now with the terrible OC he hired for you. I truly feel bad for how painful the next few years will be for you as a fan. Biggest problem you face is he is actually a worse HC than his first day and that is amazing.

The article says that when he got out of the interview with the Pegulas (Bills' owner) there were some 20 messages from the NFL and one was a job offer.

The NFL foot fetish community is very tight. 18 of those were from that group and the other 2 were texts declining his request for an interview

Nice. So it was all on Tannenbaum, but Ryan was the only guy ever even able to win a playoff game with these juggernaut rosters that Tannenbaum put together.  Never mind the HOF QB or anything.

The question was which had the greatest impact on the 2009/2010 teams and knowing what we know now it was clearly Tannenbaum stocking the roster that was far more important than the guy calling the shots.  Proof?  Rex running a lesser roster was a train wreck, he didn't develop but a single great player from all the drafts.  Once the free agent spigot was turned off, Rex was exposed.

SAR I

Think? 

I know. I responded by implying that those fans are wrong. 

I hereby declare Rex completely unlikeable. Here ye! Here ye!

A topic you know about?

I'd just to point out that the theme of this thread is that Rex has an obsession.  He cant let things go.  

Meanwhile, the most popular threads on a New York Jets forum are about their former head coach.

Mike Glennon is our former head coach?

The Bills were already such a spectacular dumpster fire that their head coach walked away without another gig lined up. That's a thing that happens, ever. Rex is bread and circuses for the goofballs until the team leaves town.

Rex will lose but play very well in Buffalo, might be there for a decade or more.

It's a stadium full of blue collar belligerent drunks with limited intelligence and very questionable decision-making skills.  It's a perfect fit.

SAR I

My fear with Rex staying in the division was if he grew as a head coach, that it could be a problem for us. Rex talking to SI, Rex calling out a player on the Jets roster...that shows that Rex hasn't grown as a head coach.

"He will feel different when I play him."

It is all about Rex. The toughest guy in the NFL. This might be a brilliant move by Jets. Rex will often sell the farm to stop one guy for a moral victory (see: our 2nd game against Bills where he triple teamed Watkins, who burned us first time). Rex bragged afterward about shutting Sammy down. We lost, obviously. Rex is a bull. Wave a red cape he can't resist taking the bait.

I've read and heard plenty of Rex's speeches. He is not bashing the Jets' front office. I think Doug Marrone was a control freak. It was his way or the highway. He's better off as an assistant and not head coach

Marrone beat Rex 38-3 in a game the Bills didn't practice for and Rex had 10 days to prepare, so he's got that going for him, which is nice.

The question was which had the greatest impact on the 2009/2010 teams and knowing what we know now it was clearly Tannenbaum stocking the roster that was far more important than the guy calling the shots.  Proof?  Rex running a lesser roster was a train wreck, he didn't develop but a single great player from all the drafts.  Once the free agent spigot was turned off, Rex was exposed.

SAR I

Snacks was a UDFA as was Mike Devito and Pouha was considered a bust until Rex.. Of course Mangini did a great job developing Clemens didn't he??LOL Some players are going to be good no matter who the HC is and some Bad.. 2 QB's you championed were Leinert and Sanchez did Rex ruin Leinert also or just Sanchez who Chip Kelly couldn't even make the playoffs with??

Snacks was a UDFA as was Mike Devito and Pouha was considered a bust until Rex.. Of course Mangini did a great job developing Clemens didn't he??LOL Some players are going to be good no matter who the HC is and some Bad.. 2 QB's you championed were Leinert and Sanchez did Rex ruin Leinert also or just Sanchez who Chip Kelly couldn't even make the playoffs with??

Couldn't get to the payoffs with him when he took over at 6-2.

I agree. I didnt see anything wrong with what he said here. And I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that there is truth to this Story. On the flipside, Jace Amaro was absolutely on Point and I noticed it the Moment Mike Vick publicly stated that he wasnt ready for a Football game and Rex responded by saying "It takes a man to admit that". Thats when I began waving the "fire Rex" flag. Rex deserved to be fired, but I will always believe that the Jets gave that guy  no help on offense and shat the bed in the draft virtually every year.

Agree, and a lot of the poor drafting, and developing of players falls on Rex as we all know he had input in the draft room up until Idzik showed up, but could you imagine if someone listened to Bradway about Wilson, (I know Rex was pissed about the Stephen Hill pick, as his comments to the media after went something like, he is a talented kid, but I don't know about taking WR there in the 2nd, meaning maybe Rex was on board with taking Wilson in the 2nd, but he was probably screaming for Demario Davis there), and if its true you know Rex had to be the one screaming for Martavis Bryant last year as his kid went to Clemson, and to shut him up Idzik selected Boyd wasting a 6th rounder kinda like telling a kid your not getting the bike, but here is a lollipop to show you we care, and shut up.

Agree, and a lot of the poor drafting, and developing of players falls on Rex as we all know he had input in the draft room up until Idzik showed up, but could you imagine if someone listened to Bradway about Wilson, (I know Rex was pissed about the Stephen Hill pick, as his comments to the media after went something like, he is a talented kid, but I don't know about taking WR there in the 2nd, meaning maybe Rex was on board with taking Wilson in the 2nd, but he was probably screaming for Demario Davis there), and if its true you know Rex had to be the one screaming for Martavis Bryant last year as his kid went to Clemson, and to shut him up Idzik selected Boyd wasting a 6th rounder kinda like telling a kid your not getting the bike, but here is a lollipop to show you we care, and shut up.

And when you run an organization like that you'll run into alot of 4 win seasons and fan created websites demanding the GM/HC be fired and for Woody to sell the team. lol

Nice names there, but they had a losing record under Rex.

Mangini sucked too, not like I want him back.

The Leinart thing was a signature gimmick because I realized that we needed to keep drafting QB's until we get lucky.  Still true today.  Share with us the draft choices you wanted the Jets to get behind these last 10 years, let's see if you got them all correct.

SAR I

Nice names there, but they had a losing record under Rex.

Mangini sucked too, not like I want him back.

The Leinart thing was a signature gimmick because I realized that we needed to keep drafting QB's until we get lucky.  Still true today.  Share with us the draft choices you wanted the Jets to get behind these last 10 years, let's see if you got them all correct.

SAR I

I don't follow college ball at all so I don't have a clue and if I did I still wouldn't have a clue.. LOL To many here that proclaim them selves draft genius's reminds me of a HC that also had a big mouth.. :winking0001:

idzik being bad at his job does not make Rex good at his job. I think Idzik was as much of a clown as Rex, and the only reason he was hired in the first place is Rex was forced upon any candidates and Idzik realized it was the only way he would get a job.

That said, that roster was as much if not more on Rex than it was Idzik. 

Thank God both of those ass clowns are out of their jobs with the Jets and hopefully the next guys are way better.

Archived