Jets' Eric Decker says ease up on Geno Smith

Scoop24

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Eric Decker wants the Geno Smith haters to lay off.

In a phone interview with Newsday on Friday morning, the Jets star receiver came to the defense of his third-year quarterback and cautioned fans against being unnecessarily critical.

"It's frustrating because I see him working on a daily basis,'' Decker said of Smith. "If he was a guy that didn't put in the work, didn't care about getting better and doing the right thing and caring about his teammates, then I wouldn't care as much. No one really understands what goes on behind closed doors during the week and stuff -- the preparation, the work put in from everyone.

"So to paint somebody or to say (negative) things like that, they just don't know. I'd like to see them in his shoes or our shoes, period. Obviously, this is entertainment, people pay to see us play, people are really invested, and I respect that . . . but just understand that this guy is a normal guy who's trying to do his best. Why have such hateful thoughts?''

Many Jets fans seem ready to give up on Smith after his two mediocre NFL in which he is 11-18 as a starter with a .575 career completion percentage. And as Thursday's first round of the draft drew near, some draft experts believed the Jets should have aggressively tried to move up from the No. 6 spot to the second overall pick, to have a shot at taking Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. Instead, the Jets stayed at No. 6 and wound up with the steal of the draft: USC defensive end Leonard Williams.

Decker said he understands why some thought the Jets should be interested in Mariota, the Heisman Trophy winner, but he quickly added: "I think Geno has the same skill set as a Mariota.''

Decker also said that Smith has "become even better than what he was last year at this point'' after working in Chan Gailey's new system.

The receiver stressed that it takes time for young quarterbacks to develop in the NFL, and Smith is no exception. Decker also highlighted the fact that Gailey is the third offensive coordinator Smith has had since 2013 (and the fourth for the Jets since 2011). "I've been through it in college, I had a new coach every year and in the NFL, this is my fourth offense,'' said Decker, who was in Manhattan with his wife, singer Jessie James Decker, for the launch of "Paw It Forward,'' a program designed to encourage pet owners to spend more quality time with their pets and to help other pets in need. 

"I just have to learn my position when the quarterback has to learn everyone's position, so it's definitely a tough transition,'' Decker said. "I think decision-making is going to be (Smith's) biggest thing. He has the skill set, he can throw the ball very good, he can move in the pocket. It's just about making the right decision and I think he understands that now. So he's going to work on it and study tape more and hopefully learn a lot from (veteran quarterback) Ryan Fitzpatrick.''

The Jets front office may be comfortable entering training camp with a Smith and Fitzpatrick quarterback battle. But general manager Mike Maccagnan may choose to take a QB in Rounds 2 or 3 Friday night -- possibly Baylor's Bryce Hundley or UCLA's Brett Hundley.

As for Williams, Decker is looking forward to see the former Trojan terrorize quarterbacks this season. "From what I've seen and heard, he's a good football player so he'll be a good addition,'' said Decker, who watched the first round with Jets fans at an NFL draft party Thursday night.

"The opportunity is there,'' Decker said. "We've got, defensively, some of the best football players on our team. I think the philosophy that Coach (Todd) Bowles is bringing defensively will also allow us to be very aggressive and to be one of the best.

"On paper we look fantastic. Now they just have to translate that on to the field and become what we talk about.''

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-eric-decker-says-ease-up-on-geno-smith-1.10365129

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Practicing, without a pass rush, in shorts, I'm sure Geno is impressive. He has the physical tools to play QB. The problem is when it's 11 on 11 and decisions need to be made, he's in trouble. There are times when his talent shines, but a majority of fhe time, he makes poor decisions.

Maybe the spread help? He did it in college. I wouldn't take a team as constructed though, ready to win now, and Hand it to him. That's like handing me a nascar drivers car and saying "the car is the best in nascar, go win..." I'll put it into the wall just like Geno will our playoff aspirations

Not sure why so many Jets fans are down on Geno. Lots of QB's start off slow because of adjusting or bad coaching or a combination of both. I am not guaranteeing that Smith will improve - but I think that this year he has a much better opportunity to improve than he ever has in the past.

I respect what Decker is saying and I never wanted Mariota, however, if the Jets do not agressively go after Glennon then I will not be satisfied with this particular position heading into training camp. No matter who you provide as targets or protection for the QB, there will be times when it simply comes down to the decision making of the QB. I dont trust what I've seen from Geno when it comes to key moments in football games. Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith, James Carpenter and  Todd Gailey wont change that opinion. I think our offense will be better, but the decision making from the QB position will still bottleneck this offenses potential. 

I respect what Decker is saying and I never wanted Mariota, however, if the Jets do not agressively go after Glennon then I will not be satisfied with this particular position heading into training camp. No matter who you provide as targets or protection for the QB, there will be times when it simply comes down to the decision making of the QB. I dont trust what I've seen from Geno when it comes to key moments in football games. Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith and James Carpenter, Todd Gailey wont change that opinion. I think our offense will be better, but the decision making from the QB position will still bottleneck this offense potential.

Glennon isn't an improvement.

Not sure why so many Jets fans are down on Geno. Lots of QB's start off slow because of adjusting or bad coaching or a combination of both. I am not guaranteeing that Smith will improve - but I think that this year he has a much better opportunity to improve than he ever has in the past.

Agree great post a lot of players were terrible under Rex Ryan and his country club coaching style.

He is also not a fit in Gailey's offense. We will be incorporating a lot of spread into our scheme and Gailey likes mobile qbs. I doubt the jets have any interest.

nobody wants glennon not even his own team.. but he suppose to be savior

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Eric Decker wants the Geno Smith haters to lay off.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-eric-decker-says-ease-up-on-geno-smith-1.10365129

I look forward to Geno shutting up his critics.  The team went 8-8 with him as a rookie but yet we can't make the playoffs with him?   Even if you say 2 of the wins were lucky or "gifts", he still would have been 6-10 with zero weapons and fresh out a spread college offense. 

While he certainly struggled in his sophomore year, he did improve in several areas and finished on a high note.   Also sometimes growth doesn't always show up on the stat sheet; his response to being benched was very telling to me.   He experienced a great deal of adversity in his young career and the way he responded was very encouraging to me in terms of his mental make up.   We will see if it translates onto the field but I am encouraged. 

Practicing, without a pass rush, in shorts, I'm sure Geno is impressive. He has the physical tools to play QB. The problem is when it's 11 on 11 and decisions need to be made, he's in trouble. There are times when his talent shines, but a majority of fhe time, he makes poor decisions.

Maybe the spread help? He did it in college. I wouldn't take a team as constructed though, ready to win now, and Hand it to him. That's like handing me a nascar drivers car and saying "the car is the best in nascar, go win..." I'll put it into the wall just like Geno will our playoff aspirations

Geno had VERY poor coaching especially from David Lee, and the Frankenstein effect of a super complicated West Coast system that does not fit Geno's skillset well AT ALL, combined with Rex trying to shoe horn power running and wildcat concepts that do not fit the offense at all. Geno was really behind the 8 ball, and he was somewhat stubborn about the turnovers, as I think he just thought he could make plays that he couldn't as both the reads and his mentality led to poor decisions. I think tat after he came back from the benching he had a much greater sense of the importance of protecting the ball in the passing game.

Geno is going to be best in an offense that does not rely so much on timing, has some spread principles and allows for simple progressions and simpler scheme. He will get that with Gailey who will run an offense unique to the Jets players. Gailey will not try to force Geno into a scheme that does not fit him at all. By the way, this is what they do with Aaron Rodgers in GB. Their version of the West Coast is less timing related, and instead focuses on single coverage reads with often a single outlet. I think that is what we can expect from Gailey, a simpler offense based on quick reads and tempo, as opposed to timing, stresses deeper routes more and has simpler verbiage and concepts so players can play fast.

I think Geno can excel in that scheme. Time will tell. Decker is right by the way, Geno has a similar skills set as Mariota.

He is also not a fit in Gailey's offense. We will be incorporating a lot of spread into our scheme and Gailey likes mobile qbs. I doubt the jets have any interest.

This is very very true. Glennon is a particularly bad fit for the offense we will run. That said, if the Jets did somehow decide he is the guy, Gailey would adapt and move to a play action traditional pocket based "Cleveland" type offense that he would be suited for. Seeing as they are already installing the offense and from what I have heard it is the Gailey spread, I do not see this happening in any scenario.

I haven't heard/seen much "hate" for Geno, just that he sucks. Sanchez was treated much worse, with people saying he would be out of the league or in the CFL after his rookie contract, and many posts on message boards for supposed Jets fans stating that they hoped he would get injured.

Geno had VERY poor coaching especially from David Lee, and the Frankenstein effect of a super complicated West Coast system that does not fit Geno's skillset well AT ALL, combined with Rex trying to shoe horn power running and wildcat concepts that do not fit the offense at all. Geno was really behind the 8 ball, and he was somewhat stubborn about the turnovers, as I think he just thought he could make plays that he couldn't as both the reads and his mentality led to poor decisions. I think tat after he came back from the benching he had a much greater sense of the importance of protecting the ball in the passing game.

Geno is going to be best in an offense that does not rely so much on timing, has some spread principles and allows for simple progressions and simpler scheme. He will get that with Gailey who will run an offense unique to the Jets players. Gailey will not try to force Geno into a scheme that does not fit him at all. By the way, this is what they do with Aaron Rodgers in GB. Their version of the West Coast is less timing related, and instead focuses on single coverage reads with often a single outlet. I think that is what we can expect from Gailey, a simpler offense based on quick reads and tempo, as opposed to timing, stresses deeper routes more and has simpler verbiage and concepts so players can play fast.

I think Geno can excel in that scheme. Time will tell. Decker is right by the way, Geno has a similar skills set as Mariota.

I agree 100%

Players can not improve themselves despite the coaching they receive! They don't play in a vacuum.

The truth is in Geno's case he didn't really improve so much over two years and in the case of his predecessor, Sanchez, he actually regressed after the "coaching" he received under the previous coaching regime and FO. Furthermore a weak supporting cast has undermined Geno's growth.  And NFL QBs can not "magically" uplift CFL talent to acceptable NFL levels.

I am so happy that at least the current regime understands this reality and has shown, thus far, that they are unwilling to allow or permit bluster and hyperbola take the place of a solid football plan. 

I haven't heard/seen much "hate" for Geno, just that he sucks. Sanchez was treated much worse, with people saying he would be out of the league or in the CFL after his rookie contract, and many posts on message boards for supposed Jets fans stating that they hoped he would get injured.

But again IMO a lot of the hate Sanchez received was directly related to Rex blowing him up before he had matured in the leader on offense.  Calling him Sanchise and other such foolishness just made an impatient franchise base even  more impatient.

Think for a moment everyone is saying that Mariota needs time to be "developed" into a quality NFL QB and he is/was way better in college than Sanchez and yet the Jets had no real plan to develop Sanchez.

I think we need to just turn the page and hope that the current FO & HC continue to act like they are professionals.....

The bottom line with Geno is that he has completely failed to be a really good QB right out of the gate like, Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, Phil Simms, Steve Young, Vinnie Testeverde, Ryan Tannyhill, and many others who just came out of college & tore it up in the NFL.

Until we find that guy who can just walk off a college campus & right into the NFL record books we'll have a tough future.

But if we lose enough we just might have an Andrew Luck fall in our laps if we actually try to lose enough games like the Colts did.

It might be worth a shot?

I hope I never have to watch Geno Smith take another meaningful snap as a New York Jet. I pray that Fitzpatrick rehabs good enough to unseat that scrub for good.

Amen.

I am tired of Geno's soul crushing interceptions at just the right point.

If I was a defensive player on the Jets I would "trip" into to him and try to take his arm out.

He is god awful.

Archived