Jets Rumored to be Interested in Kaepernick

Jetfan13

52 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Along with everyone else.  Yes.  Coach included.  I just think we can actually improve.  Really think we have seen the best of Fitz.  So if he plays for a reasonable  salary then fine.  He did make watching the Jets more enjoyable, but I have no reason to think he is getting us into the playoffs.  

Then why even argue about this crap? Let him go. Its  like Jake Arietta. The guy was a batting practice pitcher, had one good year, now wants to be paid like Kershaw. Fitz deserves to try to get paid, anybody would try. We all would. The fact of the matter is we won nothing with him, didn't even make the dance, in his best year. The ship has sailed. Next.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

what do you consider reasonable? me personally, he needs more than top back up $$, but not starter $$. i would be happy with 10m per. i wouldnt scream at 12m per. i think 7m per is a slap in the face

im with you.  9-12.  Though the slap in the face price is close to what I was saying b4 free agency.  

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

One of my favorite things about Kaep that makes him special is his throwing technique and arm efficiency.

It's evident that he was a baseball pitcher --- just like Elway.

If there's anything we'very learned from Tom Brady, it's that you want the catcher, not the pitcher.

Just now, section314 said:

Then why even argue about this crap? Let him go. Its  like Jake Arietta. The guy was a batting practice pitcher, had one good year, now wants to be paid like Kershaw. Fitz deserves to try to get paid, anybody would try. We all would. The fact of the matter is we won nothing with him, didn't even make the dance, in his best year. The ship has sailed. Next.

I'm not arguing I'm sharing with people with similar interest as myself.  For some reason I do find myself getting ever closer to not wanting Fitz back.  Not even sure why. 

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I'm not arguing I'm sharing with people with similar interest as myself.  For some reason I do find myself getting ever closer to not wanting Fitz back.  Not even sure why. 

I agree with you. We are in the same boat, brother. We are Die-hards that wouldn't care if Attila the Hun was our QB, if it got us another Super Bowl. I'm starting to totally agree with JoeWily(scary, I know) that I am just so fed up with the bargain basement Jet QB's. I've had season tix for 37 years, and I don't think we've had a starter for more than 5-6 years. We have to solve this problem.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I agree with you. We are in the same boat, brother. We are Die-hards that wouldn't care if Attila the Hun was our QB, if it got us another Super Bowl. I'm starting to totally agree with JoeWily(scary, I know) that I am just so fed up with the bargain basement Jet QB's. I've had season tix for 37 years, and I don't think we've had a starter for more than 5-6 years. We have to solve this problem.

We do.  100% agreed.

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Because smart. Fitz sucks and his attitude in this isn't helping him be likable. 

3 minutes ago, pointman said:

Because smart. Fitz sucks and his attitude in this isn't helping him be likable. 

Exactly what attitude? Have not seen a quote attributed to Fitz since the last week of the season. He is relying on his agent to get him the best deal available. His status should have no issue with the draft he is a short term answer at best. Off season workouts have not begun so what exactly is at issue other than our as fans inpatients 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Its reality and factual enough of this sh*t bag bargain basement somebody else's teach QBs on this team,theres a reason we haven't been to a Super Bowl in 47 years. 

Sure Fitzpatrick gave us a great season we all cheered great guy team player everyone likes him,but he just isn't good enough. 

Wise up fellow fans. 

4 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Exactly what attitude? Have not seen a quote attributed to Fitz since the last week of the season. He is relying on his agent to get him the best deal available. His status should have no issue with the draft he is a short term answer at best. Off season workouts have not begun so what exactly is at issue other than our as fans inpatients 

Agree with all this.

And while it shouldn't have anything to do with the draft but if, on draft day, we have Hoyer/Geno/Petty (whatever order) I think it does have an effect. I think they're more likely to reach a bit, or trade up more than they'd like, for the best one they can possibly get their hands on, rather than the best one who falls to them (or who falls so close it's not so costly to move up).

Then again, maybe they're more likely to take a chance on someone early with Fitz, with the idea that his mentorship will help make up for a prospect who's a bit too rough around the edges to take that early otherwise.

So, good chance his presence or absence does influence what we do in the draft. We just don't know what that influence will be. All we "know" is the Jets have it in mind to draft a QB this year.

5 hours ago, section314 said:

C'mon aboard the Lynch train... there's still room. Sure, it's maybe a long shot. Maybe not... we'll see. But I gotta keep the faith...

(knowing my luck, we're going to be that team that takes Cook)

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

So many egos......

On 3/9/2016 at 1:36 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Sanchez is better than Hoyer.  That tells you all you need to know. 

Just going to put this here for you to think about.

trey wingoVerified account
‏@wingoz
Why Denver isn't satisfied with Mark Sanchez as their QB option: Since 2009 no qualifying QB has averaged more turnovers per game.

33 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Just going to put this here for you to think about.

trey wingoVerified account
‏@wingoz
Why Denver isn't satisfied with Mark Sanchez as their QB option: Since 2009 no qualifying QB has averaged more turnovers per game.

I appreciate your reasosned response instead of balsting me as you certainly could.  :)

No way in the world am I still the Sanchez apologist that I was in the past; I am definitely off that crack pipe!!

I'm just not so sure that Hoyer is better than Sanchez but that aint saying much IMO......

The fact is that Hoyer may well be a suitable replacement for Fitz should he depart.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with all this.

And while it shouldn't have anything to do with the draft but if, on draft day, we have Hoyer/Geno/Petty (whatever order) I think it does have an effect. I think they're more likely to reach a bit, or trade up more than they'd like, for the best one they can possibly get their hands on, rather than the best one who falls to them (or who falls so close it's not so costly to move up).

Then again, maybe they're more likely to take a chance on someone early with Fitz, with the idea that his mentorship will help make up for a prospect who's a bit too rough around the edges to take that early otherwise.

So, good chance his presence or absence does influence what we do in the draft. We just don't know what that influence will be. All we "know" is the Jets have it in mind to draft a QB this year.

I believe at draft time it will be more about what they think of Geno or Petty. Fitz or another vet QB is  stop gap. If the Jets move up for a QB early the Jets don't have their future QB on the roster. A later round QB is a we are looking but have confidence in what we have type of guy.

Since last week, it's been clear that San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is available via trade, but nothing has happened yet despite interest from the Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos. It appears several different factors have brought the situation to a standstill, at least for now.Two outlets have reported that Cleveland is willing to part with its third-round pick (No. 65 overall) in April's draft for the QB, but the team would like Kaepernick to restructure his contract. NFL Media's Mike Silverreports Kaepernick would be willing to restructure, but talks on that front "are far apart" at the moment. Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee wroteover the weekend that Cleveland's rough start to free agency has made Kaepernick "wary of taking a lower-money deal on a bad team that is losing talent," adding that the QB would be more likely to take less money in Denver.

However, compensation is much less clear from Denver's perspective. Silver reports the Broncos have told the 49ers they think Kaepernick is worth a fourth-round pick, but the team doesn't have a 2016 fourth-rounder to trade. Denver has a late third-round pick (No. 94 overall) and compensatory selections at the end of the third (No. 98) and fourth (No. 136) rounds, but the rule allowing compensatory picks to be traded won't kick in until 2017. That means the Broncos' offer would either be a package of picks roughly equivalent to a fourth-rounder in value, or a pick in the 2017 draft. It's also possible that Denver could offer the 96th overall pick -- it's a very late third-rounder, after all -- but that would still be a considerably lower return than what Cleveland has offered.And, just to complicate things further, San Francisco is still willing to keep the QB around, per Silver, who noted that new head coach Chip Kelly "is intrigued by the idea of coaching Kaepernick."

So here we stand: The Browns have offered the best compensation but can't work out a new deal with Kaepernick. The Broncos have the latter issue covered but aren't willing to part with a higher pick. And the 49ers don't feel pressured to make a deal unless they get their desired return.All sides appear patient at the moment, so it could be some time before anything budges. The date to keep an eye on is April 1, at which time Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary for 2016 will become guaranteed and we'll find out if San Francisco's willingness to keep the disgruntled signal-caller is genuine.

The other factor that might help speed up talks would be the status of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick with the New York Jets. While the Broncosconsider Fitzpatrick's asking price to be too high, the QB is clearly the best remaining free agent at the position. If he were to re-sign with the Jets, Denver could become willing to offer a better pick for Kaepernick. Meanwhile, if Fitzpatrick were to sign elsewhere, it's possible the Jets' rumored interest in Kaepernick could be reignited, throwing a new trade partner into the mix. Silver reports that at this point, New York has yet to make an offer for Kaepernick, but we heard in early February that the QB's would like to wind up with the Jets. While that doesn't look likely at this point, we wouldn't rule anything out if Fitzpatrick leaves town.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rumors/post/_/id/29870/nfl-rumor-central-kaepernick-trade-talks-in-deadlock

1 minute ago, Bocajetfan said:

I believe at draft time it will be more about what they think of Geno or Petty. Fitz or another vet QB is  stop gap. If the Jets move up for a QB early the Jets don't have their future QB on the roster. A later round QB is a we are looking but have confidence in what we have type of guy.

Yep. That is most likely correct (especially if they move up in round 1 for a QB).

Then again, if they were so high on Geno or Petty, why offer Fitzpatrick a contract like that at all? Wouldn't they be better off starting the one of those 2 they like, make the other the backup, and then just draft a #3 to move into the #2 slot by next year? Why waste the $, the potential midseason second guessing, and potential locker room rift, by signing Fitzpatrick again in the first place if you're going to go with Petty (or Geno, for that matter)?

It's also possible, if they wait a little on taking a QB in the draft, that the guy they like best doesn't require a 1st round pick.

If Cleveland really has offered up pick #65 overall (value=265), Denver would have to cough up #63 overall to top that. What's all the detail minutia about? They have the ammo to barely trump Cleveland's offer. And if that's Cleveland's top offer and no more, they might be able to pry SF's pick #207 along with Kaepernick.

For the Jets?

We'd have to dip into our 2017 picks or work out a deal involving our 2nd rounder, or involve a player in the swap. That's IF the Jets are really even that interested in Kaepernick in the first place and wouldn't rather just roll the dice on the draft and bumping up their offer to Fitz later on if he's still around. At least on paper, to beat Cleveland's offer (without dipping into 2017's picks) we'd have to offer up our pick #51 and take back Kaepernick plus SF's 4th round pick (#105) and a pair of 6th rounders (#178 and #207). Not to mention we're taking over Kaepernick's considerable contract.

While I don't know anything about this year's prospects, I'd rather just take a shot on drafting our own. At least this way if he doesn't work out he doesn't also cost us the price of another pro bowl FA on top of that, like Kaepernick does.

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Cleveland really has offered up pick #65 overall (value=265), Denver would have to cough up #63 overall to top that. What's all the detail minutia about? They have the ammo to barely trump Cleveland's offer. And if that's Cleveland's top offer and no more, they might be able to pry SF's pick #207 along with Kaepernick.

For the Jets?

We'd have to dip into our 2017 picks or work out a deal involving our 2nd rounder, or involve a player in the swap. That's IF the Jets are really even that interested in Kaepernick in the first place and wouldn't rather just roll the dice on the draft and bumping up their offer to Fitz later on if he's still around. At least on paper, to beat Cleveland's offer (without dipping into 2017's picks) we'd have to offer up our pick #51 and take back Kaepernick plus SF's 4th round pick (#105) and a pair of 6th rounders (#178 and #207). Not to mention we're taking over Kaepernick's considerable contract.

While I don't know anything about this year's prospects, I'd rather just take a shot on drafting our own. At least this way if he doesn't work out he doesn't also cost us the price of another pro bowl FA on top of that, like Kaepernick does.

I think the size of his contract is also an issue. Either team wants Kap to redo his contract. He doesn't seem willing to do that with Cle due to the dearth of talent.

He would do it with Denver, however, the Broncos won't surrender more than a late 4th compared to Browns early 3rd.

Therefore..... a standoff.

March 31st will be the cutoff date for a deal. I'm sure SF doesn't want to pick up that guaranteed $12m contract.

16 minutes ago, faba said:

Fitzy decision has the domino effect on a number of teams including us.

Doesn't a Kaep trade have the same effect? 

And Fitzy really doesn't have a "decision" to make at the moment.  Unless Cleveland is willing to pay up, it's more or less Fitzy "settling" when it comes to his perceived worth.  It's not like he's really weighing competing offers right now.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Hes more of one than Fitzpatrick is or ever will be.

There aren't varying levels of franchise quarterback. You either are or you aren't. Kaepernick isn't. If he was, San Fran would be looking to build around him, not dump him for a draft pick. Seems like they don't value him as highly as you do. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

San Francisco is an organization in total disarray from the GM to the head coach its been that way for awhile there,haven't you noticed. 

I see these phoney excuses for poor play from players all the time.  Set all the white noise aside and watch QB's when a good play has been called, he should be able to make a play and he falls flat on his ass.  Disarray has nothing to do with missing an open receiver not making a smart read.  I'm not sure how good or bad kaep is but he has been trendingdownward for a couple years and his play has deteriorated.  Can he get back to being a good close to fracnhise guy?  Perhaps but he is far from a slam dunk in that regard.

If Fitzpatrick is unwilling to come down from his demands, and Kaep can be had for a 4th rounder (which is all Denver is reportedly willing to give), I'd be very willing to pull the trigger there.  San Fran would be footing the bill for a lot of the money left on Kaep's deal, meaning we'd be getting him at a reasonable price.

But any more than a 4th rounder OR if Fitzpatrick drops his price, I'm going with Fitz, hands down.  Kaep is a reclamation project.  Fitz is a stopgap.  2 very different things there, and the latter is a better fit for us.

Archived