Karlos Dansby: CUT

Integrity28

Browns released ILB Karlos Dansby.

34-year-old Dansby is happy with the move, as he knew he didn't have a chance at winning with the rebuilding Browns. The new regime seems to be tearing it all down and starting from scratch. Dansby's play slipped in 2015, but he's still a quality starter. He graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 inside linebacker in coverage and is a known playmaker. Dansby will be looking for a contender. The Browns save $3.5 million against the cap with the move.

Run, don't walk, to sign this beast. He'd be a perfect addition to this defense (given the shortage of ILB talent) and he knows the scheme from Arizona, I'm assuming.

Getting younger doesn't happen overnight. Especially when you only have 15 players out of 33 picks made from the last 4 drafts on the roster... and only 5 of them are starters, and it's arguable as to whether or not they should be.

In the meantime, we need to draft youth and sign good veterans to 1.) helps us be competitive now, which we can be, and 2.) gives us time to develop this "youth movement" because part of why our draft picks wash out so often is that we ask too much of them, too soon.

47 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Getting younger doesn't happen overnight. Especially when you only have 15 players out of 33 picks made from the last 4 drafts on the roster... and only 5 of them are starters, and it's arguable as to whether or not they should be.

In the meantime, we need to draft youth and sign good veterans to 1.) helps us be competitive now, which we can be, and 2.) gives us time to develop this "youth movement" because part of why our draft picks wash out so often is that we ask too much of them, too soon.

I have no problem with a 1 year 30+ guy at 3 mil.  I do not see that as "getting older"  Pace has been fairly productive for us. If a guy can play, AND stay healthy, so be it.

On 3/16/2016 at 3:19 PM, Integrity28 said:

Wait, are you suggesting that years and years of bad drafting has a downside? :)

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The Raiders went to the Super Bowl in '03 with a roster constructed largely of older players who were still good.

In '03 you could actually be physical with receivers and disrupt them.  Now LBs need quick feet to survive

On 3/16/2016 at 3:19 PM, Integrity28 said:

Great post. Our draft record has been beyond Piss poor over the last decade. Only 2 players left from the 08-12 drafts (Mo and Powell) The '12 draft was a freaking nightmare (Coples, Hill, Davis, Etc) Only Antonio Allen became a decent player out of that class. 

Using Vet stopgaps until we restack the roster with youth through the draft will be a necessity for now. People complain about the age of some of these guys but none of them are in contracts that are hard to get out of...

47 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Great post. Our draft record has been beyond Piss poor over the last decade. Only 2 players left from the 08-12 drafts (Mo and Powell) The '12 draft was a freaking nightmare (Coples, Hill, Davis, Etc) Only Antonio Allen became a decent player out of that class. 

Using Vet stopgaps until we restack the roster with youth through the draft will be a necessity for now. People complain about the age of some of these guys but none of them are in contracts that are hard to get out of...

This. Provided they can still play at a high level, there's nothing wrong with having older guys in some spots, until you can replace them with younger players. Just don't sign them to multi-year contracts. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

ILBs need to be able to cover TEs in the modern NFL.  Dansby is too old for my comfort.  Maybe I'm wrong but we need to get younger and faster at LB..

We all do. But with the cap restraints the Jets are under, and all of the other holes in the roster, they may not be able to accomplish everything this offseason. Sign a capable vet until they can properly address the position. 

They should still make a push for Erin Henderson, but if he goes somewhere else, they should consider bringing in Dansby on a one year deal.

9 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This. Provided they can still play at a high level, there's nothing wrong with having older guys in some spots, until you can replace them with younger players. Just don't sign them to multi-year contracts. 

Mac hasn't given a veteran a contract that I'd view as "stupid" yet. So, as of now, I'm not that worried this will suddenly become a trend with him.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Mac hasn't given a veteran a contract that I'd view as "stupid" yet. So, as of now, I'm not that worried this will suddenly become a trend with him.

Agreed. Dansby can probably be signed to a one year deal (maybe a two year, where he could painlessly be released next year if they wanted to do so). That would allow them to concentrate on QB, O-Line, and a pass rusher early in this draft. If they can find an ILB with a late pick, then great. If not, address it next year. 

Archived