IS Right Now the Most Divisive QB-Moment in Jets Fan History?

Warfish

I ask, because I really think it is.

Never in my lifetime can I recall a time where Jets Fan Nation was so deeply, aggressively, and passionately split on who should play QB for our team.

Fitz?

Geno?

Glennon?

Petty?

Draft Pick?

There are folks deeply entrenched in each of these options, and they seemingly denounce every other option completely and utterly.

I think we're all well aware we, as a franchise, have a weak and limited history of quality QB play.  Namath, of course, and some other guys and thats about it.  

But can you recall a time where the fanbase was this divided over this many potential options before?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The Chad.

People either thought Pennington was elite as f*ck or the single worst human being to ever draw breath. 

And Sanchez. He was either a victim of his own suck or a victim of the suck of the team and coaches around him. (I mean, there still is this controversy for some).

I think the intensity of these prior "controversies" just get forgotten about, even after only a few years go by. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I ask, because I really think it is.

Never in my lifetime can I recall a time where Jets Fan Nation was so deeply, aggressively, and passionately split on who should play QB for our team.

Fitz?

Geno?

Glennon?

Petty?

Draft Pick?

There are folks deeply entrenched in each of these options, and they seemingly denounce every other option completely and utterly.

I think we're all well aware we, as a franchise, have a weak and limited history of quality QB play.  Namath, of course, and some other guys and thats about it.  

But can you recall a time where the fanbase was this divided over this many potential options before?

The ONLY logical solution, at least for right now, is RYAN FITZPATRICK. Geno has already shown that he is very irresponsible both on and off the field, and his play has always been subpar.

The only problem with that is, as much as every reporter is optimistic that eventually Fitz and the Jets will come to an agreement, Fitz is starting to have hard feelings. That is what I heard watching NFL network a few days ago.

When you have a good QB in your midst you MUST take advantage of that. Good QB's do NOT grow on trees.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

The ONLY logical solution, at least for right now, is RYAN FITZPATRICK. Geno has already shown that he is very irresponsible both on and off the field, and his play has always been subpar.

The only problem with that is, as much as every reporter is optimistic that eventually Fitz and the Jets will come to an agreement, Fitz is starting to have hard feelings. That is what I heard watching NFL network a few days ago.

When you have a good QB in your midst you MUST take advantage of that. Good QB's do NOT grow on trees.

True but a few we have had came from a Lemon tree..:D

Fist: I'm sure you remember the "Penningtonlogists" vs "Anti Chad Militia".

Pretty sure anytime you have two groups of people willing to start, name, and organize within two opposing clans on an internet messageboard, it's serious stuff. Moreso than the various factions we've got going on now between all of the different options.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

sh*t vs. sh*t is a tough decision when you think about it. 

My thing, is it isn't crap vs crap.

Fitz is not bad.  No, he should not get 15 millions.  But he had a good year.   The team won 10 games.  Beat the Giants.   Beat the Pats.  Some good wins.  He played through a tough hand injury.   People act like he's crap, he isn't .  They act like it's sign Fitz or sign that 23 year old Franchise QB.   It isn't.

I am anti Fitz and think he is a complete JAG and last year was an illusion created by good coaching (which would apply to any Jets QB), Brandon Marshall and his influence on the offense (which would apply to to any Jets QB) and the fact that we literally had the easiest schedule in recent NFL history, despite playing NE twice (which will apply to NO Jets QB this year.)

I am especially opposed to Fitz at ANY salary that uses future cap space and think that even $7 million a year is completely NUTS for Fitz.

I believe that the combination of Gailey with Decker/Marshall would make any QB we throw out there successful.

I think we would have as good of a record if not better with Geno at the helm last year. It was an offense very suited to him. I do not think Geno is necessarily the answer but because our staff was too short sighted to play him once healthy, we do not know.

In 2016, I think any competent QB will play at least as well as Fitz will in 2016. And I think it is completely unrealistic and goes against proven history to think that he will play anywhere near as well as he did next year.

I am not a fan of Glennon. I would not trade for him.

I would be OK with Geno starting and seeing what he can do.

I would be OK with Bryce  starting and seeing what he can do.

I would be OK with whatever price it takes to get Wentz IF AND ONLY IF the Jets FO is completely unanimous in their belief that he is a 10 year franchise guy. Three first rounders? Fine. If you believe firmly he is the guy long term the loss of 2 first rounders is a pittance. BTW, people forget that. The cost of giving three first rounders to get to #1 is not 3 #1s really but 2 as we get one back. Seems to me there is more than a 30% chance that the next 2 first round picks will be busts or JAGS anyway.

I am NOT OK with Fitz starting again. It continues the cycle of spinning our wheels at QB and accomplishes nothing to make this team better in the long term.  Oh and before you say it, would rather have a Hasselback as the veteran presence if needed for a rookie or 2nd year QB like Bryce.

17 hours ago, Mainejet said:

It is not at all "the only logical solution," and even such "only logical solution" solutions cease to be so if the money is too high (which it is).

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Richard "toad" Todd vs. Matt Robinson was pretty divisive according to my father, who was adamant it should have been Robinson for the record...

I lived it, it was extremely divisive. I still remember the "We want Matt" chants after Michaels benched him for lying to him on how he suffered his thumb injury.

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am anti Fitz and think he is a complete JAG and last year was an illusion created by good coaching (which would apply to any Jets QB), Brandon Marshall and his influence on the offense (which would apply to to any Jets QB) and the fact that we literally had the easiest schedule in recent NFL history, despite playing NE twice (which will apply to NO Jets QB this year.)

I am especially opposed to Fitz at ANY salary that uses future cap space and think that even $7 million a year is completely NUTS for Fitz.

I believe that the combination of Gailey with Decker/Marshall would make any QB we throw out there successful.

I think we would have as good of a record if not better with Geno at the helm last year. It was an offense very suited to him. I do not think Geno is necessarily the answer but because our staff was too short sighted to play him once healthy, we do not know.

In 2016, I think any competent QB will play at least as well as Fitz will in 2016. And I think it is completely unrealistic and goes against proven history to think that he will play anywhere near as well as he did next year.

I am not a fan of Glennon. I would not trade for him.

I would be OK with Geno starting and seeing what he can do.

I would be OK with Bryce  starting and seeing what he can do.

I would be OK with whatever price it takes to get Wentz IF AND ONLY IF the Jets FO is completely unanimous in their belief that he is a 10 year franchise guy. Three first rounders? Fine. If you believe firmly he is the guy long term the loss of 2 first rounders is a pittance. BTW, people forget that. The cost of giving three first rounders to get to #1 is not 3 #1s really but 2 as we get one back. Seems to me there is more than a 30% chance that the next 2 first round picks will be busts or JAGS anyway.

I am NOT OK with Fitz starting again. It continues the cycle of spinning our wheels at QB and accomplishes nothing to make this team better in the long term.  Oh and before you say it, would rather have a Hasselback as the veteran presence if needed for a rookie or 2nd year QB like Bryce.

yes, johnny. its year 4 in genos nfl career, and wie still dont know what geno is.  WE  MUST  FIND  OUT!!! i hear that its the 4th gifted starting job that determines everything in this league

52 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Lol. I so do not care about Fitz's feelings. Not one single GM is willing to give him what he wants. Not a single one has offered more than the Jets have. He needs to put his feelings aside and recognize reality; this is a business, and this is his worth to that business. His hard negotiating stance is leading the Jets to look in other directions. He could easily find himself making less than the reported $7/8M, or out of work altogether if his ego won't accept that. He and his agent have overvalued their position, and misplayed their hand. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol. I so do not care about Fitz's feelings. Not one single GM is willing to give him what he wants. Not a single one has offered more than the Jets have. He needs to put his feelings aside and recognize reality; this is a business, and this is his worth to that business. His hard negotiating stance is leading the Jets to look in other directions. He could easily find himself making less than the reported $7/8M, or out of work altogether if his ego won't accept that. He and his agent have overvalued their position, and misplayed their hand. 

Of all people who should understand this, it should be Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's a Harvard grad. I was reminded every time I wanted to watch a damn Jets game last season. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

The Chad.

People either thought Pennington was elite as f*ck or the single worst human being to ever draw breath. 

this lol.. someone wasn't on jets message boards from 2002-2007

This isn't really that divisive of an issue. It's like the same 7-8 people who keep calling for Geno in every thread and most of the fanbase realizes the guy's not a starter and a pretty big doucher. I think the majority of the fanbase seems content with the idea of not wrecking the cap to pay Fitz a gazillion dollars and the Jets moving forward into the unknown and starting to finally find a QB for the future. If they can get Fitz back at a reasonable price, great. If not, fine. But anything other than wasting yet another year to see if Geno Smith knows how to not throw a billion turnovers and act like an adult when he steps off the field. The fact that they're not as vocal as a very small minority is probably just indicative of people not wanting to waste their time over a very stupid topic. I mean come on, Geno Smith? Who the hell wants to spend this much time talking about Geno Smith? Guy's been nothing but a bane of existence since he was babied into and handed a job and is trash on the field to boot. Blech. Next quarterback and more importantly next topic please.

Archived